PDA

View Full Version : VHF Marine Radios

STV_Keith
04-18-2007, 09:10 PM
Looking at the Uniden Oceanus DSC. Already have the antenna...but threw out the POS that came with the boat. Is this a good unit? Anyone running one? Other suggestions?

LHC30Victory
04-19-2007, 05:17 AM
Uniden has always made good electronics for the $$...If you RELY on the radio, as if ocean use, I would go with something higher end like ICOM. I have the M302 fixed mount and the M72 hand held and both work GREAT!!!
BTW all fixed mount VHF radios are required to have DSC capability....

STV_Keith
04-19-2007, 07:19 AM
Well, I'm not an ocean guy, and just figure since I have the antennas, might as well have a VHF for what these cost ($130). Not sure if I need the ICOM superiority unless they offer units with more power? It probably won't get used much, if at all. But better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

LHC30Victory
04-19-2007, 04:03 PM
I did some research ion the model you asked about,. There is a good bit of info on the west marine ecatalog. From what I read, that unit will do you just fine....

Mardonzi
04-19-2007, 04:51 PM
I've got one and love it. You can program it for Ntnl Weather Service advisory alerts for the waters that you are boating on and an alarm goes off when an alert pops up...

Roaddogg 4040
04-19-2007, 06:10 PM
ICOM does build some of the best VHF radios in the business...
Steve

DeltaSigBoater
04-19-2007, 06:36 PM
Just remember that if you want to use the DSC feature of the VHF you'll need to hook it up to a GPS receiver.

LHC30Victory
04-20-2007, 05:40 AM
Just remember that if you want to use the DSC feature of the VHF you'll need to hook it up to a GPS receiver.
AND register for a MMSI (Maritime Mobile Service Identity) number that can be gotten through Sea Tow, Boat US, MariTel, or the FCC (if you register through them). Ref: http://wireless.fcc.gov/marine/fctsht14.html
This MMSI helps the USGC in rescue operations if you get into trouble and also provides a "telephone number" if you want to call a particular person on VHF...

BadKachina
04-20-2007, 05:47 AM
I'm really not into radios but I had a customer use one to save his life recently.
He was boating by himself, threw his anchor and had trouble pulling it in. He was standing on his swim deck pulling the line and slipped into the water, sliding down one of his props. The prop slit his leg from mid calf to the top of his thigh. Some how he climbed back in and used his radio to call for help, and some nearby boaters came to his assistance. If it wasn't for the radio he most certainly would have blead to death. I know how bad it was because I had to go get his truck and boat from the marina and bring it back to my shop and have it detailed. The floor was completely red/brown from blood.
I said to myself I would add a marine radio this year, thanks for the thread reminding me.