PDA

View Full Version : Boxers - the dogs

Chipster27
04-19-2007, 08:58 PM
Do you have one? What are the pros? Cons? What to look out for? Do they like water? Barkers? Agressive? Shed? Stink? Handle heat? Good with kids/dogs/other people?
Elevn years ago I picked up two mutts from the pound. The vets seemed to think they were Shar-pei/reteriver mixes and between 1 and 2 years old. Monday we had to put the girl down. She had deteriorated over the past 6 months and finally got to the point where she couldn't walk and was losing control of her bodily functions.
Now we're looking to replace her and have found a brother and sister pair of Boxers that are absolutly adorable. From all the research we have done they seem to be a good breed and woudl fit our criteria.
So before we kicked down the $$$ I wanted to see if anyone else had experience with this breed.
Thanks!

YeLLowBoaT
04-19-2007, 09:08 PM
The only place I would get a dog or cat is a shelter...

DILLIGAF
04-19-2007, 09:12 PM
Had one and he was a great dog. Always wanted to just hang close to me. Good around kids and looked like a menace. Very smart dogs and do good with proper training. Didn't like the water much but he did not grow up arund it.
The Roxysnows have a couple of boxers and they could probably give you more info than me.

havadream
04-19-2007, 09:12 PM
We Have Had Are Boxer For 5 Years And We Got Him At About 18 Months From A Rescue. He Has Been Great With The Kid. The Kids Were About 2 And 12 Years Old. We Have Had No Problems!

moneypit
04-19-2007, 09:33 PM
make sure you do your research. Boxers can be aggresive. They are very protective but family oriented. Brother has had three boxers. A few of them bit neighbor kids... They were handled very well and very much apart of the family. the biting came out of no where... do a google search about the breed. I was also looking into getting a Boxer but I chose an American Bulldog instead. I think that the individual dog is the most impotant part in choosing though.

ELVIS
04-19-2007, 09:45 PM
we have had five boxers the last eighteen years, great dogs. now i've gone gay and have three poodles. get the boxers.....

Chipster27
04-19-2007, 09:50 PM
we have had five boxers the last eighteen years, great dogs. now i've gone gay and have three poodles. get the boxers.....
Good to hear that even though you're gay you like boxers, a thongs do not look good on guys :sqeyes:

havadream
04-19-2007, 10:25 PM
CHIPSTER, got my boxer from boxer rescue in Ca. The dog was hit by a car at about 15 months old. He had 2 months of surgury to fix a broken jaw and a broken hip. We took him because he had all the good markings of a puebred boxer. He hates to be washed but, loves to sleep. If you are hang'in and bull shit'n, he likes to sit on your foot and start shootting the shit with the guys. He protects owr daughter and loves to lay in the driveway. If you are getting puppies, make sue you doc the tail. They get real excited and the tail can hurt little kids, and yoour coffee table stuff.

eliminatedsprinter
04-19-2007, 10:26 PM
I have a patient who has a Boxer, that is a registerd service dog. That dog is flat out amazing. :)

Huckleberry
04-19-2007, 11:48 PM
I have two female boxers. We love them! They are VERY intelligent pups. They are great family dogs, good burglar alarms, and love to play. They will play with each other until they collapse, rest for a while, and start all over. One of them loves water, and the other will only wade in it. They do need to taken to obedience training as they are a stubborn breed if not trained. Once trained, they are awesome pets. I did adopt one male boxer from the LA Boxer Rescue. He was a great pup until he decided one day that his goal in life was to try to kill our mastiff. This was after he had been in our home for over a month! We had to taken him back. I felt like shiat for days after having to taken him back. He just needed a home where he was the only dog. Here's a pic of our two burglar alarms along side the Burglar Catcher, our 180 pound mastiff.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/2550The_Pups_PS.jpg

kingbrutis
04-20-2007, 04:38 AM
Alot of white boxers are put down when they are born. We got him at 8 weeks from boxer luv rescue. Crazy, clown dog. You cant go wrong with a boxer. We also have a Neo Mastiff and a Valley Bulldog. He is half boxer and half english bulldog. Good luck. Joe
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c287/kingbrutis/brutis.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c287/kingbrutis/IM000274.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c287/kingbrutis/IM000149b.jpg

rvr6pac
04-20-2007, 05:10 AM
boxers are great dogs! I have had three of them in the past and i have one now. They are not barkers at all only when they need to be!!!! You can't go wrong buying a boxer, great breed of dogs.

Summer LuvN
04-20-2007, 05:40 AM
I have two female boxers. We love them! They are VERY intelligent pups. They are great family dogs, good burglar alarms, and love to play. They will play with each other until they collapse, rest for a while, and start all over. One of them loves water, and the other will only wade in it. They do need to taken to obedience training as they are a stubborn breed if not trained. Once trained, they are awesome pets. I did adopt one male boxer from the LA Boxer Rescue. He was a great pup until he decided one day that his goal in life was to try to kill our mastiff. This was after he had been in our home for over a month! We had to taken him back. I felt like shiat for days after having to taken him back. He just needed a home where he was the only dog. Here's a pic of our two burglar alarms along side the Burglar Catcher, our 180 pound mastiff.
What a totally awesome picture. You should send it in to a greeting card co.!

HammerDown
04-20-2007, 05:56 AM
I had a few friends w/Boxers. The dogs loved to be around people but I thought they had more Kangaroo in them then anything...always jumping in your face. At times could be annoying :rolleyes:

OutCole'd
04-20-2007, 05:58 AM
I have two. Best dogs I've ever had, basically house trained themselves. Incredible with kids. No worries at all.

Tequila-John
04-20-2007, 06:01 AM
i have one. His name is Rocko. He is the most lovable dog i have ever had. Great with my kids. Mine was pretty wild for about 18 months then has really mellowed out.

Debbolas
04-20-2007, 06:20 AM
Our friends had a boxer, great dog, unless she was left unattended and got bored. Once she ate the window screen out of their camper like a pac man.:confused:
Very good with the kids and other dogs on Neutural" territory. We have a lab and they would just play. :D
Now their boxer didn't like the water at all....
Sweet dog, it's very sad, she died from electricution because she ate the wall socket out of the dog pen she was in.:(

DirtySquirty
04-20-2007, 06:24 AM
Fantastic pets those Boxers. However, they have "springs " built into those hind legs. They can scale a backyard fence like nobody's business. Great animals though....

bullseye
04-20-2007, 06:24 AM
I have two boxers male and female . great dogs very active and love the kids ,do there bark heck yes ,but that is one reason I have them .they like to play and run ,can be very hyper at times and they love to jump ,one of the only bad things when they jump up on you .To me great dogs and I think you will be happy . there is a boxer rescue in LA that you can adopt one from they have many ages ,you are able to applie on line and they respond pretty quik .good luck

revndave
04-20-2007, 06:54 AM
We've had 2 Boxes from pounds.Riverside County has alot most of the time.We got this one(Shelby) from Lake Elsinore Shelter.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1482P1000155-med.JPG

MRTRBL
04-20-2007, 06:56 AM
get a great dane, if your gonna get a dog. the bigger the better

BDMar
04-20-2007, 07:22 AM
We have two female boxers. Absolutely the best, smartest, friendliest dogs we have ever owned. I would never own another type of dog. One word or warning...... when they have gas, run for your life!!! :D

Mrs. Bordsmnj
04-20-2007, 07:28 AM
We've had 2 Boxes from pounds.Riverside County has alot most of the time.We got this one(Shelby) from Lake Elsinore Shelter.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1482P1000155-med.JPG
We love all the boxers the Revndaves have had. And Shelby and our 1 yr old rat terrier are best friends forever. They play until they cannot breath anymore!! :D

707dog
04-20-2007, 07:30 AM
great looking family memebers..but DAAAMN with a line up like that id hate to see your petco card account balance...lol..great looking dogs!!

BrendellaJet
04-20-2007, 07:33 AM
The only place I would get a dog or cat is a shelter...
Same here. Have 2 dogs from the shelter. Best dogs ever. Except when they have diahrea, then they suck. :D