PDA

View Full Version : WATER PUMPS!!!!!

DANS66STEVENS
09-23-2001, 05:52 AM
Has anybody ever tried an electric water pump? I have a 12 volt camper water pump instead of the neovane pump. I have run this for three years and have never had a problem. With the design of it you can run it dry all day. I have never seen anybody else do this before. I geuss im just curious if anybody else has ever tried one? The pump I have is a Jabsco or something like that. Just thought Id ask.

GasTurbine
10-05-2001, 08:37 AM
To do what?

DANS66STEVENS
10-05-2001, 05:11 PM
I use the pump to circulate water for cooling of the engine. It works like a charm. I just bought another V-Drive and im going to change it over to a electric pump. I just wondered if anyone else has ever tried one?

superdave013
10-05-2001, 05:47 PM
Yep, your not alone. Most drag races force feed the water thru the engine during a pass. They use an electric pump to move water through the enging when warming it on the trailer. I had a Teel electric pump mounted in my boat to move water through the intercooler when waiting at the holding rope. I also used it to cool the engine when not racing. It would get me in and out of the no-wake zone without over heating.
Also electric pumps do not rob HP as much as a cam driven water pump would. But if your boat is a lake boat and not an all out race deal I would stick with the cam driven pump. They just work to good and you never forget to turn them on or off.
[This message has been edited by superdave013 (edited October 05, 2001).]

DANS66STEVENS
10-05-2001, 06:39 PM
I have mine on the ignition switch because I was always forgetting to turn it on.
I been told that those little rubber impeller things don't last very long.When I first got my Schiada the water pump sqeeled like a pig. Now its real quiet and seams to work like a charm. What made me nervous was when I picked up the boat and the guy says oh hear are some spare water pump impellers. He tosses me a large bag of impellers. Im thinking holy sh!t will I need all of those. But I ran the boat alot and so far I have not changed one yet.

superdave013
10-06-2001, 12:06 AM
Well if you don't run it dry it will last a long time. Spare impellers are a good idea and I even took spares for my electric pump. If your boat is set up to run hard for a long time (like donig laps) keep the cam driven pump. It will flow more than most elect. units. Oh, my Teel electric pump was not to be run dry and if you did it sqeeled big time!