PDA

View Full Version : Intake Pressure Part II

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-20-2007, 06:14 PM
We need some serious jet tech up in here. The newbies need a few classes:D
1. Where is your pressure guage mounted?
2. What pressure are you getting?
3. Did your shoe or loader change affect the pressure reading? If so how much?
1. What is optimal pressure?
2. What pressure would be "not good"?

DOZZR
04-20-2007, 06:51 PM
:D I have out my pen and paper, ..........ready to take notes wooo-hoooo this shit is fun

MudPumper
04-20-2007, 07:18 PM
Pretty sure a lot of the guys who are well versed in this stuff might be gone for the weekend.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-20-2007, 07:58 PM
Thats ok mike;) Ill bump it for them bright and early monday morning;) Ill be at the races tomorrow and sunday. Ill take plenty of notes and report back here for everyone;)
_Spitter

jetboatperformance
04-20-2007, 08:12 PM
Hey Micheal whats up? Heres a pic of our "standard" "tap" in the suction "badge" area a lot depends on what your going to do with the boat ,yes shoes and loaders will affect those pressures Just curious What are you seeing now ? how much shoe? what intake,whats the opening? whos (and what loader) Tom;) Talk to ya time for beer and grub!!
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r319/jetboatperformance/steves%20eliminator/DSC03864.jpg

patrolman808
04-20-2007, 08:30 PM
I'm putting a gauge on the intake, where it'll face forward. I can post up a pic tomorrow of mine. Finally got a 1/2 to 1/4 pipe reducer to mount the gauge.

Cs19
04-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Thats ok mike;) Ill bump it for them bright and early monday morning;) Ill be at the races tomorrow and sunday. Ill take plenty of notes and report back here for everyone;)
_Spitter
Let us know what kind of information you can dig up tomorrow.
thanks

TahitiTiger
04-20-2007, 09:19 PM
Well even though your supposed to set the preasure and leave it, I have my water preasure gauge in the dash. (it also fills up an extra hole). I run between 10-12 psi. I don't have a loader, or a shoe. My understanding was anything above 15-18 psi for my 455 and I ran the risk of water in oil.
Thats my stats, feel free to school me :D
(eventually I am going to the system Tom has pictured, when I have the spare funding)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-20-2007, 09:42 PM
I run between 10-12 psi. I don't have a loader, or a shoe. My understanding was anything above 15-18 psi for my 455 and I ran the risk of water in oil.
I think your misunderstanding the thread. Your thiling of block pressure and we are taking suction housing pressure;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-20-2007, 09:44 PM
thanks
Ill post it if the racers will cough it up :D Some of them dont like to devulge that type of info but I will try;) Oddly enough, the east coast guys are friendlier with advice than the westcoast guys :D

BrendellaJet
04-20-2007, 09:59 PM
From what I have been able to gather...is every boat is different. Different pump, different loader, different shoe, different setup. Like comparing apples to oranges. I wont pretend to understand, but the suction housing is probably a pretty wild place under load, area's with high low pressure at any given time. Depending on where you put the pressure tap you will get different readings.
What is more important would be to establish a baseline, and watch what changes do to the pressure reading.

bp
04-21-2007, 05:32 AM
thanks
heycs, are you running yet?

jetboatperformance
04-21-2007, 06:42 AM
I think your misunderstanding the thread. Your thiling of block pressure and we are taking suction housing pressure;)
Brian (tahiti tiger)I probably should have posted a different pic so as no to confuse with thee block bypass Mikes wanting to "read" suction / pressure to add and subtract "hardware" make "adjustments" at the jet intake etc ;) Tom
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r319/jetboatperformance/steves%20eliminator/DSC03731.jpg

jetboatperformance
04-21-2007, 07:00 AM
Spitter go back when you can and check out this thread ,pretty good read :Tom:cool:
Intake Pressure ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
Instigator 01-13-2007 05:45 PM
by TIMINATOR 144 3,346 Just Jets

IMPATIENT 1
04-21-2007, 07:11 AM
mike, let me know what pressure you end up at, i installed a intake pressure guage too on my gullwing and it'd be nice to know what guys runnin 90+ in gulllwings have for intake pressure;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-21-2007, 07:57 AM
Brian (tahiti tiger)I probably should have posted a different pic so as no to confuse with thee block bypass Mikes wanting to "read" suction / pressure to add and subtract "hardware" make "adjustments" at the jet intake etc ;) Tom
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r319/jetboatperformance/steves%20eliminator/DSC03731.jpg
Thanks Tom;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-21-2007, 07:58 AM
Spitter go back when you can and check out this thread ,pretty good read :Tom:cool:
I actually stumbled across that thread late last night when I was searching. There is alot of good info there;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-21-2007, 07:58 AM
mike, let me know what pressure you end up at, i installed a intake pressure guage too on my gullwing and it'd be nice to know what guys runnin 90+ in gulllwings have for intake pressure;)
I will post my data once the gullwing is up and running.

IMPATIENT 1
04-21-2007, 08:11 AM
I will post my data once the gullwing is up and running.
shix man, i feel ya. the next 3-4wks are gonna be a mad dash trying to get mine back together and on the water before june. got a meet june 14-18th to make and i'm stressing:mad:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-21-2007, 08:21 AM
shix man, i feel ya. the next 3-4wks are gonna be a mad dash trying to get mine back together and on the water before june. got a meet june 14-18th to make and i'm stressing:mad:
Hell you and me both! Im trying to be done by memorial day weekend:eek: I still need to finish the motor! Hell its not even machined yet:eek:

tahitijet
04-21-2007, 10:46 AM
near where tom has his in his pic.
depends on my hardware settings. but i've been trying to keep it around 40-44psi. This number will vary depending on exactly where your tap is.
yes drastitcly.. i have seen changes ranging from 22psi to 45psi at WOT with shoe and loader changes.
I'd assume when you see the best performance :D . It's my understanding low to mid 40's is a good point

tahitijet
04-21-2007, 10:48 AM
can someone post a clickable link to this thread?
also sorry for the high jack but tom in that pick the 90 fitting on the bilge pump is that an add on pieace or part of the pump?

flat broke
04-21-2007, 11:21 AM
We need some serious jet tech up in here. The newbies need a few classes:D
2. What pressure would be "not good"?
Michael, the following isn't pointed directly at you, but rather the continuing trend to ask questions that have been well covered in previous threads. No disrespect or anything like that intended. With that out of the way...
The only thing the newbies really need to do is use the frickin search feature. ;)
You're only going to get people to give the same answer to the same question so many times. I used to contribute a lot more than I do now; and one of the main reasons is because I'm sick of puting together the same responses to the same questions over and over again. I figure that if someone can't take the time to do a little research when so much good free information is already sitting within reach, they're probably not going to go the extra step and take advice given and actually run with it.
Too many times people give information and things to check with regard to setup, but the person making the inquiry would rather sit at the computer and keep asking questions, than actually go out to the lake/river/whatever and do the testing required to setup his/her boat. While there are some common themes, every boat is different, and as such they're going to react differently. Good intake or bowl pressure for one guy's setup might leave something on the table for someone else. The only way anyone will know for sure is to try, note the changes, and try some more.
There are plenty of people that post on here that have data logs which correspond to many of the questions being asked in this thread, but I'd wager a guess that they've grown just as tired of beating the same dead horse with regard to many of the questions posted in this forum.
As an example, a search for the terms "intake pressure location" brings up 20 hits. At least 5 of those threads contain very specific information regarding inlet pressure and it's relation to certain hardware changes. If those threads were read and understood, there would be no need for this thread.
Another great example are the incessant request for cooling diagrams. It seems like every spring brings a fresh bunch of folks lookin for the information gravy train. That topic has a plethora of threads dedicated to it's discussion, but still people take the lazy way out and start another thread rather than do a little reading on their own. The sad part is that the train is already rolling and there is plenty of gravy in the past threads, but folks are so lazy, they want someone to cook up a new batch, and ladle it into their mouths for them.
I'm not trying to be an ass, but the info is out there, and for those willing to do a little reading/searching, there is already a very good cross sample of data to be reviewed and learned from. If this was a thread on a theory about spacing the bowl away from the suction housing, or something that hasn't been beat to death, I'd be typing a different response and taking a different tone. But it's not.
So with that said, here's a little reheated gravy fresh from the microwave.
Intake Pressure Location (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107709&highlight=intake+pressure+location)
Intake Pressure Location (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92674&highlight=intake+pressure+location)
Intake Pressure Location (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87080&highlight=intake+pressure+location)
Intake Pressure Location (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61716&highlight=intake+pressure+location)
Chris

wsuwrhr
04-21-2007, 11:27 AM
Would have been nice if you could have included a few scoops of mashed potatoes and if I were greedy I would ask for some meatloaf. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
It isn't like I couldn't stand to gain a few pounds.
Brian
Chris

BrendellaJet
04-21-2007, 06:11 PM
I agree with Chris.
Sort of.
The boards are slow, and a lot of the old contributors with a good understanding are gone for the most part.(LV Jetboy, HBJet, Cyclone and Chet:D are good examples)None of them respond to posts the way they used to. Part of the reason the boards are fun is for the social interaction. Its easy to search for old posts to see how to do something, but thats not any fun.
If we rely on old information to answer all our questions, little progress would be gained. Granted there are only so many ways to set up the cooling on a jetboat with logs or headers, but considering the beer can boats run 85 mph with tiny small blocks and no loaders I think there is more left on the table with some of our setups.
If some of the orignal ***boat peeps dont feel like a rookies question is worth their time to answer in real time, phuckem. Those who continue to contribute to the boards will figure it out on their own. It may take longer, but this sport will benefit from it in the long run.

IMPATIENT 1
04-21-2007, 06:28 PM
I agree with Chris.
Sort of.
The boards are slow, and a lot of the old contributors with a good understanding are gone for the most part.(LV Jetboy, HBJet, Cyclone and Chet:D are good examples)None of them respond to posts the way they used to. Part of the reason the boards are fun is for the social interaction. Its easy to search for old posts to see how to do something, but thats not any fun.
If we rely on old information to answer all our questions, little progress would be gained. Granted there are only so many ways to set up the cooling on a jetboat with logs or headers, but considering the beer can boats run 85 mph with tiny small blocks and no loaders I think there is more left on the table with some of our setups.
If some of the orignal ***boat peeps dont feel like a rookies question is worth their time to answer in real time, phuckem. Those who continue to contribute to the boards will figure it out on their own. It may take longer, but this sport will benefit from it in the long run.
well said! i've searched old threads myself ALOT and you can get fried:confused: trying to make out the real answer to some questions asked. since i've been here a couple yrs. now, i've read enough of other ***boat peeps posts that i know what members "know their shix" and which are just full of it:D if i ask a question that's been asked a thousand times, i'm looking for those opinions i know are experienced based and not just talking out their axx. sometimes those peeps (that i trust their judgements) weren't around when the subject was brought up prior to me asking again;) or just didn't post in them.
sorry for the jack mike:D

3 daytona`s
04-21-2007, 06:51 PM
I agree with Chris.
Sort of.
There are many of knowledgable jet people out here,and as fun as the social interaction is there always has to be some one who thinks he is funny and interjects some lame ass comment.These things bug many no nonsense guys who have been therte and done that.When you say phuckem when you have a fuy of Greg Shoemaker refusing to come back in here because of BS. may be best to look who posts what and maybe police your own sites.I constantly see several on here who when a question is posted they jump in tell how to do it and most times get corrected by people who do know what is going on and not a Johnny come lately graduate of Jet Boating 101:confused:

steelcomp
04-21-2007, 08:12 PM
Michael, the following isn't pointed directly at you, but rather the continuing trend to ask questions that have been well covered in previous threads. No disrespect or anything like that intended. With that out of the way...
The only thing the newbies really need to do is use the frickin search feature. ;)
You're only going to get people to give the same answer to the same question so many times. I used to contribute a lot more than I do now; and one of the main reasons is because I'm sick of puting together the same responses to the same questions over and over again. I figure that if someone can't take the time to do a little research when so much good free information is already sitting within reach, they're probably not going to go the extra step and take advice given and actually run with it.
Too many times people give information and things to check with regard to setup, but the person making the inquiry would rather sit at the computer and keep asking questions, than actually go out to the lake/river/whatever and do the testing required to setup his/her boat. While there are some common themes, every boat is different, and as such they're going to react differently. Good intake or bowl pressure for one guy's setup might leave something on the table for someone else. The only way anyone will know for sure is to try, note the changes, and try some more.
There are plenty of people that post on here that have data logs which correspond to many of the questions being asked in this thread, but I'd wager a guess that they've grown just as tired of beating the same dead horse with regard to many of the questions posted in this forum.
As an example, a search for the terms "intake pressure location" brings up 20 hits. At least 5 of those threads contain very specific information regarding inlet pressure and it's relation to certain hardware changes. If those threads were read and understood, there would be no need for this thread.
Another great example are the incessant request for cooling diagrams. It seems like every spring brings a fresh bunch of folks lookin for the information gravy train. That topic has a plethora of threads dedicated to it's discussion, but still people take the lazy way out and start another thread rather than do a little reading on their own. The sad part is that the train is already rolling and there is plenty of gravy in the past threads, but folks are so lazy, they want someone to cook up a new batch, and ladle it into their mouths for them.
I'm not trying to be an ass, but the info is out there, and for those willing to do a little reading/searching, there is already a very good cross sample of data to be reviewed and learned from. If this was a thread on a theory about spacing the bowl away from the suction housing, or something that hasn't been beat to death, I'd be typing a different response and taking a different tone. But it's not.
Intake Pressure Location (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107709&highlight=intake+pressure+location)
Intake Pressure Location (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92674&highlight=intake+pressure+location)
Intake Pressure Location (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87080&highlight=intake+pressure+location)
Intake Pressure Location (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61716&highlight=intake+pressure+location)
Chris
Pretty funny here...you spent more time with your long winded lecturing than it would for you to just answer the question, or just post the links. :notam:

Cas
04-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Pretty funny here...you spent more time with your long winded lecturing than it would for you to just answer the question, or just post the links. :notam:
the exact same thing crossed my mind.

BigBlockOldsJet
04-21-2007, 11:47 PM
There are many of knowledgable jet people out here,and as fun as the social interaction is there always has to be some one who thinks he is funny and interjects some lame ass comment.These things bug many no nonsense guys who have been therte and done that.When you say phuckem when you have a fuy of Greg Shoemaker refusing to come back in here because of BS. may be best to look who posts what and maybe police your own sites.I constantly see several on here who when a question is posted they jump in tell how to do it and most times get corrected by people who do know what is going on and not a Johnny come lately graduate of Jet Boating 101:confused:
What I find most comical is somebody without a boat or one that goes 55 mph trying to tell someone with a 110 mph boat what to do

flat broke
04-22-2007, 08:40 AM
Gee, ya think? ;)
The reason being is that I would rather utilize my time to teach a guy to fish, rather than give him fish. That's the whole point I was trying to make. There is good information just sitting waiting to be read. There is no reason to spoon feed folks, when you can show them where to look and have them become reliant upon themselves.
Chris

steelcomp
04-22-2007, 10:26 AM
Gee, ya think? ;)
The reason being is that I would rather utilize my time to teach a guy to fish, rather than give him fish. That's the whole point I was trying to make. There is good information just sitting waiting to be read. There is no reason to spoon feed folks, when you can show them where to look and have them become reliant upon themselves.
ChrisTrue enough, but in the end, you still just gave the guy the fish, although I agree with your intentions.
Search links are difficult, at best. Unless you get the right terminology, or happen across the link that exactly answers your question, they're mostly a waste of time. You can spend a lot of valuable time searching for somehting you never find. Most times, it's just easier to ask. I'd guess that most of the questions asked here are asked on impulse, and not terribly well thought out in the first place. Also, information in past threads can be outdated in a relatively short period of time. For the most part, ***boat's "technical" thread section isn't much more than a social lounge anyway, and has very few truely technical threads, and if someone is really seeking good info, there are far better places to get it.
Just my opinion, though.
Added: Sorry for the hijack...I have little or no useful knowledge or experience to offer to this thread, or I'd offer it gladly.

wsuwrhr
04-22-2007, 10:31 AM
The beer can "tiny small blocks" are 5-600 HP. Not a couch potato by my definition. Some of those boats are running billet pumps.
85 in a beer can boat with a lightweight hull and no interior to speak of and a fiberglass full interior jet boat are 2 different animals.
I agree with Chris.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-22-2007, 07:30 PM
Chris
I totally respect your words Chris;) I did search and maybe I wasnt wording it properly. I found one great thread like the one that "Tom" found. Like always, it had a bunch of B.S in it as well as great info.

TIMINATOR
04-22-2007, 07:40 PM
Didn't we just cover that question in the pump article in the magazine 2 issues ago? TIMINATOR

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-22-2007, 07:41 PM
Heres what I found today......
Drill the intake where tom posted in the pic or higher up in the 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock position.
Racer 1 had 20-25lbs in a daytona after loosing a rideplate:eek:
Racer 2 had 42lbs in a cheyenne
Racer 3 had 49lbs in a southwind and this guy has his schit together.
Racer 4 had 75lbs in a blown fuel jet and he was addign more shoe :eek:
We didnt get too heavy into bowl pressures because it wasnt a huge deal. I also got alot of info on shoes;)
I will leave all names anonymous so we dont get into a pissing match;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-22-2007, 07:44 PM
Didn't we just cover that question in the pump article in the magazine 2 issues ago? TIMINATOR
I didnt get that issue :cry: Sorry I didnt get out to you on friday. Had alot of things going on.

TIMINATOR
04-22-2007, 07:55 PM
I keep all of the issues on the counter for those who can't find them. See ya whenever. TIMINATOR

squirt'nmyload
04-22-2007, 08:12 PM
:D :D :D :D

squirt'nmyload
04-22-2007, 08:14 PM
good seein ya today too :)

BrendellaJet
04-22-2007, 08:23 PM
The beer can "tiny small blocks" are 5-600 HP. Not a couch potato by my definition. Some of those boats are running billet pumps.
85 in a beer can boat with a lightweight hull and no interior to speak of and a fiberglass full interior jet boat are 2 different animals.
You didn't address the "no loader" aspect of my post. In fact, they run rock grates. :idea: Show me an 85 mph glass boat with a rock grate...
And actually, Im pretty sure the 19s are running 85 with the ZZ4 chevy...While it aint no slouch, its not a 5-600 hp couch potatoe either, I could be wrong.
My point was that times change. We wont make advancements if we just do everything the way it was done the time before. Discussions are good for discovering new ways to do things. Maybe improvements wont be had with every conversation, but hell, if you did things the way they did 20 years ago you'd still be spinning handles and we wouldn't be online talking about it.

flat broke
04-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Heres what I found today......
Drill the intake where tom posted in the pic or higher up in the 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock position.
Racer 1 had 20-25lbs in a daytona after loosing a rideplate:eek:
Racer 2 had 42lbs in a cheyenne
Racer 4 had 75lbs in a blown fuel jet and he was addign more shoe :eek:
We didnt get too heavy into bowl pressures because it wasnt a huge deal. I also got alot of info on shoes;)
I will leave all names anonymous so we dont get into a pissing match;)
Michael ( is it cool if I call ya Mike?) :)
This is exactly why it's best to get your setup installed and start taking notes about how stuff works for your setup. Even guys with the same hull and similar power might not have the same successes with identical setups.
I can give you a very generalized example using an experience we had testing a boat two weeks ago. It was a brand new bigger cruiser with a jet. setback pump/rideplate/shoe. Typically I've had really good results with a droop on boats of this weight and general size. We tried both a droop and a bowl extension with multiple wedge setups to ensure we were giving each part the best shot to achieve good performance. In the end both items reduced the top speed of the boat, and in some instances induced unwanted handling characteristics.
The accepted concensus would be that the droop should have helpled; but in this particular instance, it didn't. Just another example of having to go out and spend the time on the water trying setups and accurately measuring results to see what changes work and don't. Once you've done that a few times, you might start to see some trends that will help you move down the trial and error road a little faster.
To answer your initial question more specifically, I have made loader changes that dropped the biting edge of the loader .250" deeper into the water and seen not only a small reduction in max RPM, but also a 5lb increase in pressure on a heavy cruiser. The speed stayed the same, though the baseline data was from a different day on the same body of water, so there might have been a small change that was obscured by a change in water conditions or air temp/density.
We also made some shoe changes on Hacker's cruiser early on in it's life, but I can't remember specific numbers, only that by dropping it a little bit deeper (I wanna say .125" but could be wrong) it loaded harder but didn't really do much else in terms of handling etc. If memory serves me correctly, his boat pulls 25lbs intake pressure at WOT. But it's a 20' cruiser with full interior, stereo, etc. It is a different animal than what you may be looking for in terms of comparison.
The best thing you can do short of getting to the track for repeatable conditions, is have as many shoe depth, wedge angle, loader config options possible on hand to systematically try on a day with stable weather/water conditions and some friends to help with the parts swapping and one passenger to watch the gauge/stopwatch/GPS. Keep all the variables (same passenger, direction you run if there is a current or prevailing wind, etc.) as close to the same as possible; make consistent passes, note changes, and keep trying setups till you run out of daylight.
Chris

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-22-2007, 09:50 PM
:D :D :D :D
You already know :D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-22-2007, 09:51 PM
good seein ya today too :)
Mos def Brian;) You guys were making alot of passes!!!!!!!!!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-22-2007, 09:52 PM
Michael ( is it cool if I call ya Mike?) :)
This is exactly why it's best to get your setup installed and start taking notes about how stuff works for your setup. Even guys with the same hull and similar power might not have the same successes with identical setups.
I can give you a very generalized example using an experience we had testing a boat two weeks ago. It was a brand new bigger cruiser with a jet. setback pump/rideplate/shoe. Typically I've had really good results with a droop on boats of this weight and general size. We tried both a droop and a bowl extension with multiple wedge setups to ensure we were giving each part the best shot to achieve good performance. In the end both items reduced the top speed of the boat, and in some instances induced unwanted handling characteristics.
The accepted concensus would be that the droop should have helpled; but in this particular instance, it didn't. Just another example of having to go out and spend the time on the water trying setups and accurately measuring results to see what changes work and don't. Once you've done that a few times, you might start to see some trends that will help you move down the trial and error road a little faster.
To answer your initial question more specifically, I have made loader changes that dropped the biting edge of the loader .250" deeper into the water and seen not only a small reduction in max RPM, but also a 5lb increase in pressure on a heavy cruiser. The speed stayed the same, though the baseline data was from a different day on the same body of water, so there might have been a small change that was obscured by a change in water conditions or air temp/density.
We also made some shoe changes on Hacker's cruiser early on in it's life, but I can't remember specific numbers, only that by dropping it a little bit deeper (I wanna say .125" but could be wrong) it loaded harder but didn't really do much else in terms of handling etc. If memory serves me correctly, his boat pulls 25lbs intake pressure at WOT. But it's a 20' cruiser with full interior, stereo, etc. It is a different animal than what you may be looking for in terms of comparison.
The best thing you can do short of getting to the track for repeatable conditions, is have as many shoe depth, wedge angle, loader config options possible on hand to systematically try on a day with stable weather/water conditions and some friends to help with the parts swapping and one passenger to watch the gauge/stopwatch/GPS. Keep all the variables (same passenger, direction you run if there is a current or prevailing wind, etc.) as close to the same as possible; make consistent passes, note changes, and keep trying setups till you run out of daylight.
Chris
Mike,Michael,396,Spit or Spitter :D Its all the same;) I really appreciate the info. I know that Im going to be doing some testing. I figured that I would start this thread to get some ACTUAL jet tech going on in here;)

cyclone
04-23-2007, 12:51 PM
ok i'll bite. the only real advice i can give here is for the guys who are going to use a mechanical water pressure gauge as a means for reading inlet pressure...there is a drawback to that method and that is that you are likely going to be reading spikes in the water pressure and not the average pressure, which is more important. There is a feature of the Edelbrock Qwickdata system that allows you to average the pressure readings across a given time frame and that data is much mor useful than just looking at one data point.
before this function was shown to me i thought i had 60-70 psi inlet pressure in my boat and it turned out that i was just looking at pressure spikes.
The mechanical gauge is going to offer the same problem. So keep that in mind when you are trying to read the gauge at wide open throttle with the needle bouncing around....

flat broke
04-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Mike is 100% on this. Thats why we always have to use 2 people in the boat when we do any testing. No racepack or quickdata means one set of eyes has to be dedicated to the gauges to try and keep track of one variable in relation to another.
Another thing to think about is that your standard water pressure gauges from Autometer only go up to 35lbs, so you'll want to employ an oil pressure gauge if you're going to want something to match the rest of the gauges in your dash. If you're just going to use a handheld gauge, there are tons of options available to you through Grainger and McMaster Carr.
I haven't tried it, but a liquid filled gauge might help quell some of the needle bouncing.
Chris

GUGS102
04-23-2007, 05:10 PM
I have one at the bottom of the suction housing about an inch from the wear ring and one on the top of the pump in about the same place. As close to 12 and 6 as I could get. I run about 15psi on the top running down the lake and read about 25psi at WOT. I got something clogged in the bottom line and will retest this weekend. I mounted my removeable gauges right under the dash mounted bull shit meter.
Gugs

TIMINATOR
04-23-2007, 09:12 PM
That the needle is bouncing tells you that your flow isn't laminar, but has a lot of turbulence. Knowing that is as important as the actual pressure. Get the flow smoother and the pressure and drag can be reduced, the speed will follow. TIMINATOR

cyclone
04-23-2007, 09:18 PM
That the needle is bouncing tells you that your flow isn't laminar, but has a lot of turbulence. Knowing that is as important as the actual pressure. Get the flow smoother and the pressure and drag can be reduced, the speed will follow. TIMINATOR
How does one go about smoothing the flow to the point where a mechanical water pressure gauge needle isn't bouncing?
got any pics of your set up that you'd be willing to show us for informational purposes?