PDA

View Full Version : Good News The World Still Works.

Flyinbowtie
04-21-2007, 09:20 AM
Well, I'm crying again.
My oldest boy, Christopher, 22 just called me.
He is a service tech for Sears in Reno, servicing air conditioners, refrigerators, etc. It is a part time gig right now, he goes to work after HVAC school during the week, and all day on Saturdays.
This morning, his first call was a fridge. He arrived, and met an 82 year old widow, who's 1970's model fridge has crapped out. She has had the service plan on it since new, (bought at Sears) and while he might be able to get parts, it is a real maybe, and the warranty won't cover a new one. She is living on SS, has no family, and sure as hell can't afford a new fridge.
She cried when my son explained the probability that her refer was done.
He was really hit by this, he just called me and told me that he ws going to buy this lady a new refrigerator, out of his own pocket.
He said that she reminded him of my mother, his grandmother, and that he had his Sears card paid off, and wanted to do this. He couldn't stand the idea of this lady not having a "damn refrigerator".
Naturally, it got to me.
I'm going in halfs with him. He is calling her now to tell her, and going to see if his boss can grease the wheels to get it out of the warehouse so he can get it to her today. $539.00 is his cost, I told him to make sure that his boss knows what he is up to as he is going to go off off his list of calls to make sure she gets it today.
I am so damn proud of this kid, if there are enough like him out there the world just might stand a chance.

MudPumper
04-21-2007, 09:30 AM
Looks like you did a good job FBT. :)

Flyinbowtie
04-21-2007, 09:34 AM
Looks like you did a good job FBT. :)
My wife and I were just discussing that.
I know we did the best we could, god knows we argued and battled over discipline, etc. as he and his younger brother grew up, but the young man turned out okay.
I'd love to take all the credit for this, but I can't...he simply has a good heart, a decent soul, and knows the right thing to do when he sees it.

EmpirE231
04-21-2007, 09:38 AM
that's a great story!! good people... the world needs more of them!

boatsnblondes
04-21-2007, 09:45 AM
"Life is for giving, not for taking"...sounds like you taught him this rule well...congrats on a job well done...:)

wsuwrhr
04-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Bravo sir, bravo. To your son, you and your wife.
How is the VW going BTW?
...if there are enough like him out there the world just might stand a chance.

Schiada76
04-21-2007, 10:21 AM
What could possibly make parents more proud?:D

H2oracer
04-21-2007, 10:32 AM
People like him make this world a better place. He sounds like a great young man. His actions speak loud on how well he was raised.

KingCole
04-21-2007, 10:34 AM
Good job! I don't even know your son and I'm proud of him! :D

lewiville
04-21-2007, 10:36 AM
Well, I'm crying again.
He is a service tech for Sears in Reno, servicing air conditioners, refrigerators, etc. It is a part time gig right now, he goes to work after HVAC school during the week, and all day on Saturdays.
This morning, his first call was a fridge. He arrived, and met an 82 year old widow, who's 1970's model fridge has crapped out. She has had the service plan on it since new, (bought at Sears) and while he might be able to get parts, it is a real maybe, and the warranty won't cover a new one. She is living on SS, has no family, and sure as hell can't afford a new fridge.
He was really hit by this, he just called me and told me that he ws going to buy this lady a new refrigerator, out of his own pocket.
He said that she reminded him of my mother, his grandmother, and that he had his Sears card paid off, and wanted to do this. He couldn't stand the idea of this lady not having a "damn refrigerator".
Naturally, it got to me.
I'm going in halfs with him. He is calling her now to tell her, and going to see if his boss can grease the wheels to get it out of the warehouse so he can get it to her today. $539.00 is his cost, I told him to make sure that his boss knows what he is up to as he is going to go off off his list of calls to make sure she gets it today.
I am so damn proud of this kid, if there are enough like him out there the world just might stand a chance.
Now thats what Im talking about. I have been staring at your thread and just got a chance to read it. Where does you son work and live. i can try contacting the press out there and maybe we can make story of it. You never know what this could turn into. PM the info and lets see where this goes. Marketing is what I do for a living. I posted my thread just because I was fed up with all of the negative news.

Flyinbowtie
04-21-2007, 10:38 AM
Bravo sir, bravo. To your son, you and your wife.
How is the VW going BTW?
The VW?:rolleyes:
Well $ is tight, I have decided to freshen the 1776, it is serviceable from the case out to the rods. The crank is a 69mm cw, & the rods are balanced.
I have a new set of 90.5 cylinders and pistons, and a gasket set, and I ordered a set of CB performance 044's, 40x35.5 single Valve Springs. I discovered some problems with the rockers on the broke side of the engine, so i'm also going to save up and ge the 1.4's and new pushrods from aircooled.net/
Now, I need to wait until I can $wing a new heaterbox exhaust system, and decide which way to go with carb(s).
I'm looking at aircooled,net's complete ceramic coated system, it is a little larger than the 1776 needs, but it is apparently the only non-chinese game in town that won't rust away. It ain't cheap, thats for sure.
I want to do away with the 34pict-3, but don't know what to replace it with to keep some economy, and not have to fiddle with adjustments all the time.
Still open to suggestions Brian, pm if you have some.

TheCarDudes
04-21-2007, 10:38 AM
My odest son's name is Christopher also. I hope he can someday call me and make me feel the way your story just did. Congrats on great parenting. Tell your son to continue his part on making the world a better place.
TCD

6 Dollar Boat
04-21-2007, 10:40 AM
I'll bet that is the best $539.00 purchase your son makes all year.
There are only 3 things you can do with money....Spend, Save, or Give...
Giving is the most rewarding....:)

Flyinbowtie
04-21-2007, 11:01 AM
Update.
Chris called the store, bought the unit, and the deed is done. The salesman at the store couldn't understand why he was doing this.
She will be taking delivery on Tuesday, that is the soonest they can get it to her. He can't get it into his service van, and the people that deliver it will set it up and haul her old one away for her, too.
Chris has jury-rigged her old one and it will run until then.
Chirs called her to tell her what was going on, she said that she was glad the warranty she bought was worth something. He said, "Ahh, ma'am, this is not from the warranty, this is from me, I'm paying for it, and my parents are helping."
She was stunned.
Chris said she began to cry and kept asking why he was doing this. He told her she reminded him of his grandmother, and he just strongly felt like it was the right thing to do.
His boss is off until Monday, I think things will get interesting then.

lewiville
04-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Update.
Chris called the store, bought the unit, and the deed is done. The salesman at the store couldn't understand why he was doing this.
She will be taking delivery on Tuesday, that is the soonest they can get it to her. He can't get it into his service van, and the people that deliver it will set it up and haul her old one away for her, too.
Chris has jury-rigged her old one and it will run until then.
Chirs called her to tell her what was going on, she said that she was glad the warranty she bought was worth something. He said, "Ahh, ma'am, this is not from the warranty, this is from me, I'm paying for it, and my parents are helping."
She was stunned.
Chris said she began to cry and kept asking why he was doing this. He told her she reminded him of his grandmother, and he just strongly felt like it was the right thing to do.
His boss is off until Monday, I think things will get interesting then.
Bravo Jeff,
hats to you man. Lets see what we can share from this.
Dano

Mandelon
04-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Awesome. :) Karma = good.

gramps
04-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Your son sounds like a great person. Too bad the world doesn't have more like him. Thanks for the great story.

YeLLowBoaT
04-21-2007, 12:49 PM
Glad to hear it.

Rexone
04-21-2007, 01:05 PM
This is a very nice story to read in a world otherwise floundering in crap. Hat's off to your son and yourself (you wife might have had something to do with this too somewhere along the line) ;)

Schiada76
04-21-2007, 03:45 PM
This is a very nice story to read in a world otherwise floundering in crap. Hat's off to your son and yourself (you wife might have had something to do with this too somewhere along the line) ;)
Maybe in the birthin part to start?:idea: :D :D

voodooCanoe
04-21-2007, 04:02 PM
I'm glad you were able to share this with us. Makes the heart a little warmer.
Having 10 and 5 year old daughters, I look down the road and hope to see young women with values as you have been able to see with your son.
Nice Work!!!
PAY IT FORWARD!

AZJD
04-21-2007, 04:24 PM
Hey you can't post this feel good crap on this site!:D :D :D
Great story, and sounds like a good guy!

twowheeledfish
04-21-2007, 04:47 PM
Nice job on raising your son. I wish more parents raised such fine people as yourself.
-fish

slotracer
04-22-2007, 05:55 PM
with whats going on now days this needs to stay at the top. great kid you have there. told my wife about it and she said that what she hopes our kids would do.

beaverretriever
04-22-2007, 06:03 PM
That is awesome. I am 34 and I look at the kids today, and it makes me upset what a bunch of scumbags most of them are. It's great to see a guy like your son make me think differently.
I wish I was closer, or I would have donated our old fridge and helped your son save his money. It is a like new stainless LG, but it was just too small for us. My buddy in Havasu (who it is going to) would understand if it went to a good cause like this.
Tell your boy to keep up the good deeds. They will come back to him.

MR.rvrluvr
04-22-2007, 06:08 PM
good job....thanx for sharing..

Dezertrider
04-22-2007, 06:28 PM
Well, I'm crying again.
Naturally, it got to me.
Your Hired,,,
When your son graduates from HVAC school where does he want to work???
The company I work for has offices from Texas west. I will line him up for a job when he graduates. We want people like your son
Thats a great story, Good to hear

I DIG IT !
04-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Wow, what a touching story. I find it very cool that there are still great people with great souls. I'm sure that God will bless your son and your family. Way to go hats off to you.......:) ;)

Flyinbowtie
04-22-2007, 06:59 PM
Desertrider
I ahh, holyshit Batman..:D
I responded to your PM.
I know he is sacked out already, or I''d call him and tell him to look at this.
He graduates 5-10-07. He is in the HVAC Certification program at Truckee Meadows Community College in Reno, Nevada.
We'll get back to you...:D

Dezertrider
04-22-2007, 07:17 PM
Desertrider
I ahh, holyshit Batman..:D
I responded to your PM.
I know he is sacked out already, or I''d call him and tell him to look at this.
He graduates 5-10-07. He is in the HVAC Certification program at Truckee Meadows Community College in Reno, Nevada.
We'll get back to you...:D
Thanks!!!
May is a good time to graduate because we have lots of work.
Tell your son to keep up the good work

Flyinbowtie
04-22-2007, 07:20 PM
He is awake now, LOL.
Gradutes mid-may, check your pms again, and a heartfelt thanks from the Sierra Foothills down to you..:D

Dezertrider
04-22-2007, 07:27 PM
He is awake now, LOL.
Gradutes mid-may, check your pms again, and a heartfelt thanks from the Sierra Foothills down to you..:D
May is less then 10 days away,,,,,FYI

Flyinbowtie
04-22-2007, 07:29 PM
PM me an e-mail i can reach you at, I'll put together a mini-resume for him tomorrow and e-mail it to you.