PDA

View Full Version : Today, teaching the dog to get me a beer

lewiville
04-21-2007, 09:54 AM
I am in the beginning stages of teaching her to get a beer from the frisge. My dog trainer showed me some techniques to do this,,,,, lets see how this works out.

JetBoatRich
04-21-2007, 09:56 AM
what are the steps:rolleyes:
My daughter is teaching our Lab to get water out and throw away the empties:rolleyes: but it is a slow process:sqeyes:

Run_em_Hard
04-21-2007, 09:57 AM
That is awesome...if it works let everyone know. I would try to do that with my dog.

lewiville
04-21-2007, 10:10 AM
what are the steps:rolleyes:
My daughter is teaching our Lab to get water out and throw away the empties:rolleyes: but it is a slow process:sqeyes:
I got her to ring a bell for the door to go potty outside and thats what incouaged me to do this.
Hot dog, lots of Hot Dogs.
As soon as I master it. I will post the steps.

I DIG IT !
04-21-2007, 10:28 AM
I tryed that with my cats, but all they do is think its a play toy.

maxwedge
04-21-2007, 11:12 AM
I started teaching my dog how to deliver beer out of the fridge a few years back. She was learning fast and I have no doubt she would have mastered all the steps in short order, but somewhere in the training process a few things dawned on me...
1) Although it is a cool party trick, I didn't really want to drink from a can that was in the dog's mouth.
2)Teaching a dog who loves food and beer how to open the fridge is possibly the worst idea ever? ...The way I was doing it, you to tie a towel on the handle and then remove it when you don't want the dog to get in there. This probably works ok for a lot of dogs, but my dog, after pulling the door open with the towel a few times, decided to just try prying open the bottom of the door from the edge with her snout like any other door, instead of pulling on the towel.:jawdrop: She never managed to open the door like this, but I think she would have eventually if I kept focusing her interest on the fridge...anyway when she started doing this I stopped teaching, because I could see the need for a padlock in the near future.

lewiville
04-21-2007, 11:15 AM
I started teaching my dog how to deliver beer out of the fridge a few years back. She was learning fast and I have no doubt she would have mastered all the steps in short order, but somewhere in the training process a few things dawned on me...
1) Although it is a cool party trick, I didn't really want to drink from a can that was in the dog's mouth.
2)Teaching a dog who loves food and beer how to open the fridge is possibly the worst idea ever? ...The way I was doing it, you to tie a towel on the handle and then remove it when you don't want the dog to get in there. This probably works ok for a lot of dogs, but my dog, after pulling the door open with the towel a few times, decided to just try prying open the bottom of the door from the edge with her snout like any other door, instead of pulling on the towel.:jawdrop: She never managed to open the door like this, but I think she would have eventually if I kept focusing her interest on the fridge...anyway when she started doing this I stopped teaching, because I could see the need for a padlock in the near future.
Thats what Im starting with right now. I thought of that to. "Happy" ( my dog ) loves beer

wsuwrhr
04-21-2007, 11:36 AM
Now that is some funny shit.
...and brings up some serious consequences later on.
Brian

CARLSON-JET
04-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Now that is some funny shit.
...and brings up some serious consequences later on.
Brian
Very True... If max were to continue with this training,,, The dog could start drinking... which could lead to drunk posting.... at this point she/he could start posting imaginary other dogs.. :eek: :D :D

Rexone
04-21-2007, 01:10 PM
I am in the beginning stages of teaching her to get a beer from the frisge. My dog trainer showed me some techniques to do this,,,,, lets see how this works out.
So how did the wife break her leg. :(

wsuwrhr
04-21-2007, 01:14 PM
So how did the wife break her leg. :(
Doubtful Rexie,
Crutches don't affect mobility around the house.
Brian

DansBlown73Nordic
04-21-2007, 04:10 PM
I have been trying to teach the wife to fetch cans of beer or to get the news paper.....So far NO LUCK!!!!!:D

Jyruiz
04-21-2007, 04:14 PM
Let me know how it works, I might have to get a dog after all.:D

JetBoatRich
04-21-2007, 05:19 PM
I have been trying to teach the wife to fetch cans of beer or to get the news paper.....So far NO LUCK!!!!!:D
using the wrong discipline:D

wsuwrhr
04-21-2007, 05:44 PM
Whatever you do, don't use hotdogs!!!!!

DansBlown73Nordic
04-21-2007, 05:47 PM
This thread kinda reminds me about the time I called my local pet store looking for a SHOCK COLLAR.....:sqeyes: I told the lady it was for my wife....Was she ever PISSED OFF!!!!!!:mad: :devil: :mad: :devil:
It was really for a GREAT DANE.

JetBoatRich
04-21-2007, 05:48 PM
Whatever you do, don't use hotdogs!!!!!
this is how she started
http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2007/4/apr19gal33.jpg

Summer LuvN
04-21-2007, 08:13 PM
Our dogs are alcoholics, they'd just suck the beer up themselves if they could.. They love Starbucks too....

lewiville
04-21-2007, 11:21 PM
Our dogs are alcoholics, they'd just suck the beer up themselves if they could.. They love Starbucks too....
Happy is only 5 mos. old she has to wait atleast a couple of months:D :D
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6738Happy_Picture_3-3-med.jpg

GRUNION
04-22-2007, 07:16 AM
Yeah one of my dogs opens the fridge any chance she gets not good when your food all goes bad or when they eat everythig in there. Now they get put in a kennel when wee are not home.

boatnam2
04-22-2007, 09:06 AM
that is funny i was just telling mrsb yesterday i need to teach our dog how to get the remote.

boatsnblondes
04-22-2007, 09:10 AM
Fock the dog....my wife is well trained...she brings me a beer or the remote whenever I want...way I look at it, the guys who train thier dogs are the same ones who can't train their wives......:devil: :devil: :devil:
(yes dear, I'm coming right now...no, nothing, I'm not typing anything, no, I'm not lying either......)