PDA

View Full Version : solid copper core plug wires?

W.O.T
04-21-2007, 03:43 PM
does anyone run these? i need to get a new set of plug wires. i have an msd ignition and im currently running msd wires. ive seen a set of taylor solid core wires for a hundred bucks. are they worth it or should i buy a different set? thanks

Blown 472
04-21-2007, 04:29 PM
does anyone run these? i need to get a new set of plug wires. i have an msd ignition and im currently running msd wires. ive seen a set of taylor solid core wires for a hundred bucks. are they worth it or should i buy a different set? thanks
I believe solid cores will kill the msd, think I read that in their stuff. Buy some taylor "409"s.

SmokinLowriderSS
04-21-2007, 04:32 PM
You want solid coppers? You don't have a stereo do ya?
Spend less than a C-note on a set of MSD SC (Super Core) wires. I spent $89 locally.
Supression wires not only stop/reduce noise on stereos, they reduce the chances of cross-fire on closely spaced wires.

curtis73
04-21-2007, 04:47 PM
In my opinion, the tiny bit of extra juice you get isn't worth the trade offs. Typically solid core wires are just for max effort engines where the last little bit is important. I chose spiral core for mine. As someone also pointed out, check with the manufacturer of your ignition. My Pertronix specifically says you'll fry it if you do solid core

W.O.T
04-21-2007, 04:55 PM
thanks for the advice. i dont have a stereo in the boat or plan on getting one. just trying to get the most from my setup. ill see if my ignition is compatible with the wires.

sleek willy
04-30-2007, 11:30 PM
I ran the copper wires in my jet boat years ago. They caused heavy static on the stereo, but a Radio Shack noise suppressor cleared it up. I doubt they are any better than the Taylor wires I use now.
-Dave

bajarunner
05-01-2007, 07:38 AM
Solid copper core wires are not compatable with most any electronic ignitions of any kind. Buy a good set of msd wires for your msd ignition.