PDA

View Full Version : first of many questions

anchored
03-20-2002, 06:02 PM
First of all has anyone out there everheard of Continental boats? If not, they do exist because I have a 1968 Continental.Next,my boat trys to pull to the left then right then left,as the speed increases. What do I need to adjust to correct this? Also it pulls in almost the exact opposite way if I have someone riding shotgun. What do I do?

ratso
03-20-2002, 06:13 PM
Is this actually a V-Drive?

V-Drive Tom
03-20-2002, 07:00 PM
Anchored Yes heard of continental boats but never have seen one. Check steering. One person hold the wheel the other go back and try to move the rudder back and forth. If it moves without turning the wheel then you need to see if the rudder quadrent is tight on the rudder shaft. (and make sure the keyway is in it). then make sure the cable is tight. Get to it man!

Costello
03-20-2002, 08:31 PM
Anchored, if you are the same guy from DBR.com a while back, and if my memory is as good as I hope it is, wasn't this a V-Drive V-Bottom deal? Do as Tom has suggested first.(before you get wet, we DO NOT want that!). Another thing that crossed my mind is that if the skeg (s) is(are) in crooked at all; with the V-bottom, it may want to throw the boat around like that if it is porpoising a little bit, and the skeg is in and out of the water and acting somewhat like a rudder. This would undoubtedly be a bigger issue on a V-Bottom than a flat, and it's an issue in a flat when they're in crooked. Just a thought, good luck.

superdave013
03-20-2002, 09:50 PM
One other thing to check is for slop in the stuffing box. They do wear out in time. If you do have slop in that area you should check the rudder shaft it's self for wear. I had that same thing happen in my last flat and had to buy a new rudder. It was pretty worn where it was riding in the stuffing box.

anchored
03-20-2002, 10:03 PM
Your memory is right on the money Costello.The rudder hung low so I raised it and that seemed to take a lot of play out of it. I am still having problems though. The key way is in it but it may be wore and giving it some play. I have not pulled the engine to get a good look though. The skegs have been bent before and I have straightened them ,wich will lead to best way to get a v-drive on a trailer question later. I read that yall wanted more activity on this board and untill I can get my boat right and quit tearing stuff up I will keep asking questions as long as yall keep giving answers.

anchored
03-20-2002, 10:11 PM
Lets go back to flat bottom 101.what is a stuffing box? I hate to seem stupid but I dont want to get myself or any one else hurt.

V-Drive Tom
03-21-2002, 06:07 AM
anchored... OK keepen it simple. its the thing bolted to the floor that the rudder post sticks up through. We need to know what engine rpm, prop and v-drive you have. At what speed are you going when this thing starts freeken out?

anchored
03-21-2002, 04:24 PM
It is a casele v-drive with 6% gears. the most rpm I have gotten is 5800 if my tach is correct. I can not find any numbers on the prop, so I dont know. It is a brass prop but I hope to get a steel one before long. when it pulls left its at a slower speed, right at about half speed and then back to the left. Its really kind of strange.