PDA

View Full Version : American made autos list

cc322
04-22-2007, 07:49 AM
http://www.just-auto.com/article.aspx?ID=88247&lk=np

Ike
04-22-2007, 03:56 PM
Nothing new there. But there are some bloopers that slipped in. The Ford F-150 is made in America, North America, not the USA. It's made in Mexico.
The Chevy Malibu and Malibu Max are Opels in disguise. They are assembled here but basically they are a german car. Even my 2004 Chevy Cavalier has an Opel engine.
Mercedes makes their SUV in Alabama, It was designed in a design competition at a Engineering school in California. Many of the parts though are made elsewhere, I guess it doesn't qualify as Made in the USA, although I think the folks in Alabama would argue with that.
Even BMW has a plant here in Spartenburg SC.
The converse is also true, one of the popular Saab models sold in Europe is actually a Chevy trailblazer. Ford owns Volvo and many of the Fords and Volvos are cross bred.
And it's not just us. The popular new Mini Cooper is just a BMW in disguise. Volkwagens are made in Brazil and Mexico. The list goes on and on.
So there aren't many autos or trucks that can say made in the USA anymore, and there aren't many foreign makes that can say they were 90% made in their country of origin.
By the way about the only thing left on cars that's Made in the USA, is air conditioners. They are almost all made here. All three of my Mercedes Benz's had AC made in the USA.
Oh yeah I forgot that in the Chevy Nova and the Toyota Corolla are the same car, made at a plant in Fresno Ca. Half the production are Toy cars and the other half come out as Novas.
No va in Spanish means doesn't go.