PDA

View Full Version : Where in so cal to get LCD TV?

talbert450r
04-22-2007, 11:59 AM
Where have you all found the best deals on LCD TV's ?

Charley
04-22-2007, 12:00 PM
COSTCO
42" Vizio HD LCD $1200 ... I bought 6 for the business 3 months ago with road cases, they are holding up nicely, and look great!

djunkie
04-22-2007, 12:01 PM
COSTCO
42" Vizio HD LCD $1200 ... I bought 6 for the business 3 months ago with road cases, they are holding up nicely, and look great!
I got 2 myself. A 47" and a 32" for my bedroom. Got them at Costco. I think the 47" was around $1700 and the 32" was $600.

OCMerrill
04-22-2007, 12:29 PM
I would also use Costco.
If your using credit in some way then CCity with their price protection.
Comp Usa has a few deals here and there but it's rumored that they are going down (out of business).

TCHB
04-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Consumer Reports
Best Buy is the Vizio 47 for overall performance and price
Costco or Sams Club

INSman
04-22-2007, 12:52 PM
COSTCO
Baller :D
How's that river shack of your with the OKAY view doing these days ?!? :eek: ;)

Hardly Satisfied
04-22-2007, 01:42 PM
costco

Nord
04-22-2007, 02:17 PM
The 37 vizio is on sale at costco for 799. BUT you get what you pay for in TV's. the Vizio is the best deal, but definately no the best quality. I have gone through 3 of them that all had defects. Vizio has had problems with the buttons on the side of the tv to change modes, volume, power etc. They are very hard to get to work. They also have a problem with the top and bottom projecting "lights" in a couple areas. Almost all of the Vizio's on display at Costco have the same problem. You get what you pay for. There customer service sucks as well. The guys at Costco will tell you that Vizio will come to your house. They will, after you get on them for 3 months!!! Like I said before, they are the best buy for the buck, but if you are looking for high quality, I'd look at other brands.
~NORD~

Jyruiz
04-22-2007, 02:23 PM
The 37 vizio is on sale at costco for 799. BUT you get what you pay for in TV's. the Vizio is the best deal, but definately no the best quality. I have gone through 3 of them that all had defects. Vizio has had problems with the buttons on the side of the tv to change modes, volume, power etc. They are very hard to get to work. They also have a problem with the top and bottom projecting "lights" in a couple areas. Almost all of the Vizio's on display at Costco have the same problem. You get what you pay for. There customer service sucks as well. The guys at Costco will tell you that Vizio will come to your house. They will, after you get on them for 3 months!!! Like I said before, they are the best buy for the buck, but if you are looking for high quality, I'd look at other brands.
~NORD~
I have always said, Vizio uses proven panels, but there electronics have a lot to be disired.

talbert450r
04-22-2007, 02:25 PM
What about the Sharp Aquos 37"

Jyruiz
04-22-2007, 02:40 PM
What about the Sharp Aquos 37"
Sharp probably makes the best LCD's out there, if I was buying an LCD, that is what I would get.

TCHB
04-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Consumer Reports April 2007
LCD and plasma technology have made strides over the past year or so, addressing weaknesses that detracted from picture quality. LCD TVs, for example, have had difficulty producing true black and natural-looking motion with no blurring. They’ve also had a narrower viewing angle than plasma sets. The best new LCD models have improved in those areas, contributing to high scores in our latest tests. Similarly, the best plasma TVs have added features to minimize distracting reflections and screen burn-in, two issues for plasma technology.
However, in a showroom it can be hard for shoppers to tell which TVs benefit from those improvements. Store lighting, varying settings on each TV, and the different types of content displayed make it tough to compare picture quality. In our labs, we eliminate variables so that we can see which models really perform best.
CR’s take. Don’t assume that a new LCD or plasma TV has the same problems as an older set you may have seen. Both technologies have improved, and LCD is catching up with plasma. The best LCDs score as well as the top plasma TVs.
Consider a 1080p TV
TVs with 1920x1080 native resolution--dubbed 1080p by manufacturers--are starting to gain momentum. A number of LCD and microdisplay rear-projection sets of this type are now in stores. More are expected next year, along with the first plasma sets of this type.
These displays have 1,920 pixels from left to right and 1,080 from top to bottom. They’re the first consumer TVs that can potentially display all the detail in the 1080i signal in most HDTV broadcasts, as well as the 1080p high-def DVDs from Blu-ray and HD-DVD players. (For more information, see HD formats.)
Other big-screen HDTVs top out at 1024x768 or 1366x720 resolution; they’re sometimes labeled “720p” sets. Their screens contain about half the number of pixels in a 1080p set, so they have to convert 1080i HD signals to a lower resolution.
While a 1080p TV can display more and finer detail than a 720p set, resolution alone doesn’t determine picture quality. Black level, brightness, and color accuracy are just as important. A 720p set that does everything right can have excellent picture quality, but an equally adept 1080p set has the potential to be even better.
The difference is most obvious on large screens and in close viewing. With a 1080p model, you can sit near enough to appreciate the fine detail without seeing the faint grid of pixels. But from a normal viewing distance--about 6 feet from a 42-inch screen--a 1080p set won’t look dramatically better than a good 720p TV.
Keep in mind that any display device is only as good as the programming it receives. A less-than-pristine cable signal, for example, limits even the best TV.
CR’s take. If you want state-of-the-art technology and potentially the best HD picture quality, buy a 1080p TV--but not just any set. Look for a model that did well overall in our tests. If you simply want fine picture quality and prefer to spend less, opt for a recommended 720p TV.
think about reliability
With more consumers buying flat-panel TVs, there’s a growing amount of data on reliability, and the news is good: During the first year or two of use, LCD and plasma TVs have been just as reliable overall as picture-tube TVs, which have historically required very few repairs. Some consumers are opting for LCDs over plasmas for fear that plasma TVs have a shorter life span, but such concern is unwarranted, says Rosemary Abowd of Pacific Media Associates.
Our latest product reliability survey shows no repair issues during the first year or two of use for LCD TVs from JVC, Panasonic, Samsung, Sanyo, Sharp, Sony, and Toshiba. Dell LCD sets have had higher than average repairs. In plasma, there have been no repair issues for Fujitsu, Hitachi, Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony, or Toshiba. The repair rate for Philips and Vizio plasma sets has been higher than average. There’s not enough data to report on other brands or on long-term reliability for any LCDs or plasmas.
CR’s take. An extended warranty generally isn’t worth it, especially for brands with a decent repair record. If you’re a belt-and-suspenders type who craves peace of mind, it might be worthwhile for you (especially with a pricey set or a brand with no repair history), but pay no more than 15 percent of the TV’s price.

Jyruiz
04-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Wow, sounds like CR has finally got some knowledgeable employees when it comes to TV's. Good for them.

little rowe boat
04-22-2007, 05:47 PM
COSTCO
I agree, costco has the best prices and best return / warranty policy.

Parker Dreamin
04-22-2007, 06:06 PM
http://www.shopping.com/xPP-flat_panel_televisions
I shopped prices using this site and got my TV from back east. Delivered to my door a Sony SXRD 50" LCD last year, it was about $400 cheaper then ANYBODY around and it had red carpet service (brought inside the house)

Dan Lorenze
04-23-2007, 05:49 AM
Costco

Opinionated
04-23-2007, 06:20 AM
My father in law saved about $2000 at this website:
www.inoax.com
They have a huge selection and incredible prices. Hope this helps.

Jyruiz
04-23-2007, 06:52 AM
We bought the 50" Sharp Aquos and LOVE it! Got it for right at $3,000. We've been watching planet earth on it in HD and it is absolutely breath taking. The Sony Bravia (I believe) was the only TV to outperform the Sharp but the Sony was $500 more expensive and not worth it. One of the consumer magazines (cant remember which one) agreed with us to and named the Sharp the best LCD for the price.
I would have liked to read that riview, no way does the Bravia give a better picture than the Aquos.

Jyruiz
04-24-2007, 07:05 AM
Ill find out for ya on wed. My boss gets a magazine that is completely about TV's. It was unanimous in there that the Sony was better but the Sharp was a better value and I agree with that too. With both of them sitting side by side you can see the difference and the high picture quality of the Sony. Not $500 better though.
Yeah, that would be cool, I would like to know if they calibrated both TV's or just hooked them up out of the box, and if they were both the same year models.

slingingsmoke
04-25-2007, 09:01 AM
theres a spot in Monrovia, CA. called "the Outlet by ELS" This place has awesome deals on everything. Its mostly overstock stuff from Costco and other companies, some of the stuff is display models, They are very well priced and come w/ the manufacturers warranty.
check it out.... http://bargainsla.com/bargains/source/elsoutlet.htm

Jyruiz
04-25-2007, 09:07 AM
The Magazine is Sound and Vision. My boss is really into High Deff TV's and reads tons of reviews on them and he said Every review hes read from a reputible source ranks the Bravia higher.
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hdtvs/1836/sony-bravia-kdl-40xbr2-40-inch-lcd-hdtv.html
You have to take what S&V says with a grain of salt, advertising dollars play a part.

Old school Ultra
04-25-2007, 09:07 AM
Go to www.CNET.com and shop, They have lots of choices and give the most information on any electronic products.
Good luck

Baja Big Dog
04-25-2007, 09:35 AM
~NORD~
WOW Nord...you must have a black cloud over you....I have 4 Visio's and know of family and friends that have over 20 of them, and no one has had a problem. We run most of them on HD and the picture is great. I dont however run them next to another brand to compare the picture.
I dont know why you would want home service when you can take it back to "Costo Rents" as us Armenians know it as...:D

beever_retreever
04-25-2007, 11:08 AM
WOW Nord...you must have a black cloud over you....I have 4 Visio's and know of family and friends that have over 20 of them, and no one has had a problem. We run most of them on HD and the picture is great. I dont however run them next to another brand to compare the picture.
I dont know why you would want home service when you can take it back to "Costo Rents" as us Armenians know it as...:D
BBD-
They've recently changed their return policy on Electronics. They do offer a Concierge service that extends the manufacturer's warranty on TV's and computers to 2 years.
http://www.costco.com/Images/Content/Misc/PDF/concierge.PDF
Costco will accept returns within 90 days from the date of purchase for the following items: Televisions, computers, cameras, camcorders, Ipod/MP3 players, cellular phones.
I guess the returns on Electronics were getting out of hand. At this time, Sams Club does not enforce the 90 day rule, but I don't shop there.
As for where to pickup a great deal on a TV in the SoCal area, there's a place in Santa Monica called TVAuthority that has some deals worth checking out. They'll negotiate on the price as well. As you can see from their homepage, you'll want to avoid having anything shipped by them as they've had nothing but problems. Best to pickup instore.
http://www.tvauthority.com/default.asp
Good luck.

Jyruiz
04-25-2007, 01:12 PM
Well in that case.... I really think the bravia is better then cause Sharp advertises the Aquos almost 10 to 1 compared to the Sony. At least from what I have seen. Every single TV person we talked to while shopping for ours said the Bravia was better. But we just couldnt beat $3000 for our Aquos.
But back to his original question.... What do you plan on getting the TV for and how much are you planning on using it? If its your main TV I would say spend the extra money and go with a better TV. If its just for a vacation house or occassional use where picture quality isnt AS important then you can get away with a bargain brand TV. Like I said we shopped around A LOT before we bought ours and we explored every option.
I like the Sharp Aquos better because it has better blacks (which you need for better true colors) and the Sharp also rates higher in picture detail, but has banding issues that if not professionally calibrated, one will be able to notice. The Bravia is better in the fact that the screen is more uniform, and there is no banding, but the colors and detail are not up to par with the Aquos.

jenndon
04-25-2007, 08:23 PM
If you buy the Vizzo, keep you receipt. I've replaced about 12 of the POS in the last 2 months. You get what you pay for.
I own an A/V company in Riverside, pm me if you have any questions. I'm a dealer for everything except Sony.