PDA

View Full Version : Optima Batteries

phebus
04-22-2007, 01:25 PM
I bought Optima batteries last summer at Auto Zone for $149. each. I just went to buy a couple more, and they were now $199. each. Talk about a price jump. The manager at Auto Zone told me that the jump in price was an overnight deal (about 6 mos. ago), and that when he went to price the new batteries, he couldn't believe it, and had to check the invoice twice.
They don't sell the Interstate marine batteries. Anyone know what they cost?

Trailer Park Casanova
04-22-2007, 01:30 PM
Costco has the best deal on all marine deep cycle, including all grades (colors) of Optimas.
Rumor is COSTCO deep cycles are same as Sears.
We have COSTCO deep cycle marine on the RV and they are teriffic after 4 years.
$54 last week when I was in there (size 24)
Had them on the Wakeboard boat and they were teriffic.
On top all dat, the costco warranty is tits.

phebus
04-22-2007, 01:35 PM
I checked Costco last time I was in Cali, and they didn't have any Optima blue tops. I'm out in Havasu, so can't check back.
Posiible new/used boat this week, and before I even use it, I want new batteries, impeller, fuel filter, oil filter, and change all fluids.

Havasu_Dreamin
04-22-2007, 01:48 PM
Rick, we got our blue top optimas at the Costco in Rancho Cuccamonga. If you want I can stop by on my way out this week to the poker run and pick you up two assuming they have them in stock. Any Costco can tell you what stock is available in any other store, just give them a call. I can actually stop either at the Costco in Azusa, Montclair, Rancho or Victorville. Let me know.

OCMerrill
04-22-2007, 01:48 PM
Costco has the best deal on all marine deep cycle, including all grades (colors) of Optimas.
Rumor is COSTCO deep cycles are same as Sears.
We have COSTCO deep cycle marine on the RV and they are terrific after 4 years.
$54 last week when I was in there (size 24)
Had them on the Wakeboard boat and they were teriffic.
On top all dat, the costco warranty is tits.
Johnson Controls makes the std costco batteries. I just recently went 2 6v in series for the RV. Could not be happier. I run the RV/Marine costco's in the boat. Year after year no issue. JC bought Optima a few years back also. I have had a few red top Optima issues though and Costco exchanged them no questions asked. I run red tops in all my cars and trucks.
http://www.jci.com/bg/

Flyinbowtie
04-22-2007, 01:52 PM
FWIW, I had a conversation a couple of months ago with the manager of the local NAPA store. This is a small town and she has run the place for the owners for years. I trust her, she and the wife are pals.
I was looking for a couple of deep cycles for the camper, and was leaning towards the Optimas. I have three in the boat and one in my '40 Ford.
She told me to by the Exide, even though the Optimas were in stock.
They make one like the Optima and the store has been carrying them for about a year now. The return rate on failed batterys is about half what the Optimas is. The price was about 25% less, too.
I bought them, cause $ is tight, and so far so good. They are charged by a solar panel on the camper, and are doing fine. I've had my share of junk Optimas but still believe they are a good unit when the price is right. Costco is the cheapest around on them, that is unarguable.
FWIW.

Jyruiz
04-22-2007, 01:55 PM
What is the difference between the blue tops, and the deep cycle batteries Costco sells? I was thinking about getting odyssey batteries.

phebus
04-22-2007, 01:58 PM
If anyone gets by a Costco today or tomorrow, or if anyone has recently bought blue top deep cycles from them lately, and could let me know what they are selling for, I would appreciate it.
I know that the Auto Zone price used to be only about $5. more then Costco, and I'm curious if that is still true. I would imagine a price increase from the manufacturer would be across the boards regardless of who the seller was.

Flyinbowtie
04-22-2007, 02:00 PM
I looked at the Odyessy units too, and they have a good rep in the mega-amp wakeboard boat world. If memory serves, the reason I didn't was $, and that there was not a local dealer to fall back on if one crapped out.
Optima used to make two different blue tops, one a deep-cycle /starting, and the other a deep cycle "house" style.

phebus
04-22-2007, 02:03 PM
What is the difference between the blue tops, and the deep cycle batteries Costco sells? I was thinking about getting odyssey batteries.
The Odyssey's are supposed to be great, but they are $$$, and different dimensions then most batteries, so they won't fit in a lot of battery boxes.

phebus
04-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Also, I've heard the Odyssey's are finicky in regards to charging.

Flyinbowtie
04-22-2007, 02:07 PM
Also, I've heard the Odyssey's are finicky in regards to charging.
That was another deal, as I recall. I have my SkiSanger up the hill in my mom's garage during our 5 month off-season and I have three of those smart battery tenders on the batts.
This is the 2nd winter I've done this, and the Optimas batterys seem to be doing well.

Nord
04-22-2007, 02:12 PM
You can buy the Optimas at Costco, but they don't have all of the Cranking Amp options.........They didn't have any of the big ones when I went to pick them up.

phebus
04-22-2007, 02:12 PM
Rick, we got our blue top optimas at the Costco in Rancho Cuccamonga. If you want I can stop by on my way out this week to the poker run and pick you up two assuming they have them in stock. Any Costco can tell you what stock is available in any other store, just give them a call. I can actually stop either at the Costco in Azusa, Montclair, Rancho or Victorville. Let me know.
Thank you very much. Let me try to get a price that Costco is selling them for to see if it is worth it. The advantage to buying them local (if the price isn't much different) is that if there is a warranty issue, I could handle it much easier.

Not So Fast
04-22-2007, 02:13 PM
I think the price is even higher than you said Rick, I was just there and I thought the price for a blue top deep cycle was $229 ??? I bought one Fri ( at All American) for my sons boat (a marine starting), blue top/dark grey bottom for $179+tax. All American says that the reserve between the two is negligble. They sell the blue top deep cycle for $199. Maybe I'm wrong but thats what I think I saw:confused: NSF

phebus
04-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Thanks Bobby, but I was there this morning, and the Optima Blue Top with the light gray case (deep cycle) was $199.
Ouch..............

Jyruiz
04-22-2007, 02:18 PM
I have 4 exides and they have been on the boat a little over 2 years, they are not holding up very well.

Jyruiz
04-22-2007, 02:31 PM
These are the Exides I have,
http://www.exide.com/products/marine_rv/nautilus_starting.html

djunkie
04-22-2007, 02:33 PM
These are the Exides I have,
http://www.exide.com/products/marine_rv/nautilus_starting.html
Those are what I have also. 2 deep cycles for the stereo and 1 marine starting. Been almost 3 years and they have been great. And I think they were only like $70/piece.

Jyruiz
04-22-2007, 02:35 PM
Those are what I have also. 2 deep cycles for the stereo and 1 marine starting. Been almost 3 years and they have been great. And I think they were only like $70/piece.
I have three for the stereo and one for starting and the single battery wont start the boat anymore. I have to switch to the stereo batteries, but even thouse are having a hard time starting the boat. I would like to know how much these go for,
http://www.exide.com/products/marine_rv/orbital_deep_cycle.html

Havasu Hangin'
04-22-2007, 02:35 PM
The only difference between the yellow top and blue top is the marine terminals.
I've been getting mine from Summit (http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+4294925143+4294839060+42947694 89+400089+115&Nao=0#rstop)...and the price jumped there, as well.
No tax...free shipping, but a $10.95 handling fee- delivered to your door.

Burn504
04-22-2007, 02:52 PM
you can pick up optima cheaper than those prices shipped from ebay.
and ive found that optima can be finicky when recharging although i still use them

Ike
04-22-2007, 03:03 PM
About three weeks ago I was at a boat show and I talked to the guy selling Trojan batteries. He said that the prices of all deep cycle batteries have jumped by at least 25%. He couldn't give reason why though.
By the way, most batteries sold in the USA are made by a handful of companies and marketed under dozens of brand names. Here's a link that gives you the brandname and who actually makes them. http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/batbrand.htm
For instance Optima batteries sold by Johnson Controls Inc, are actually made by Banner Gmbh in Austria. Diehard batteries sold by Sears (and others) are made by four or five different manufacturers around the world.
So you may be able to get the same battery at a much cheaper price if you know what brands to look for. For a instance Trojan makes batteries that are sold under 6 or 7 brandnames. But it's the same batteries, they just put a different name on them
Here's another link with info on battery manufacturers around the world. It has a section on just the USA. However be aware this list includes all types of batteries not just auto batteries.

Not So Fast
04-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Thanks Bobby, but I was there this morning, and the Optima Blue Top with the light gray case (deep cycle) was $199.
Ouch..............
What was the battery for $229 then?? I'm so confused:confused: Its still too much GD money for a battery if you ask me!!!!!*&*&&^%^$ NSF

Not So Fast
04-22-2007, 03:19 PM
I stand corrected sir!! The one for $229 is the D 31 which is the big honkin one, group 27 I guess, my error. NSF

Beer-30
04-22-2007, 03:25 PM
Here is some good FAQs about Optima(s).
http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/faq.asp#5
I especially like this one, as some think that a deep-cycle ABSOLUTELY CANNOT be used as a starting battery.
13. Can a deep cycle battery be used for engine starting?
Yes. If the cranking amps rating is sufficient for your vehicle, there is no reason not to use a deep-cycle battery for starting.

707dog
04-22-2007, 03:32 PM
damn those prices suc azz...crossed my mine to get a couple but shit that just got crossed out...:devil:

OCMerrill
04-22-2007, 03:45 PM
What was the battery for $229 then?? I'm so confused:confused: Its still too much GD money for a battery if you ask me!!!!!*&*&&^%^$ NSF
This is exactly my feelings. Its a fricken battery. I run the basic RV Costso battries in my boat. I have multiple amplifiers and they seem to keep the program going for hours. Also my boat (runner bottom) rides rough 75% of the time and I have never had one leak.

Riverbass
04-22-2007, 04:15 PM
Optima batteries 155.00 at sam's club.

TCHB
04-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Why would you put a deep cycle marine in a boat for starting?? I can understand for running stereos but not for starting?

TCHB
04-22-2007, 05:10 PM
DieHard® Gold
Our best-selling DieHard.
3 year full replacement limited warranty*
100 month limited warranty*
Extra power for today's complex vehicles

LHC30Victory
04-22-2007, 05:43 PM
I am replacing my 3 1/2 yr old GIL GP24 starting batteries finally. I am going with the West Marine Sea Volt dual purpose batts from East Penn/ Deka. This company has been around a long time and I hope they last in the desert conditions....BTW, West Marine has these on sale for about 69ea (I'm getting them for much less though :D ).

jet guy
04-22-2007, 06:09 PM
I bought an interstate dep cycle 750 cranking amps and it spins my motor great I also run timing just a little advanced and no problem. I got it at the interstate distributer and there about 80 but I get a discount for being a gov. contractor but check if there is a distributer in the area and check price

phebus
04-23-2007, 06:52 AM
Why would you put a deep cycle marine in a boat for starting?? I can understand for running stereos but not for starting?
Because my batteries are often run down from frequent starting with minimal running times to recharge. They also share running the stereo when batt switch is in the "all" position.
Here is a good read from the Optima website:
Optima® offers two basic battery types: Optima starter type batteries, and Optima dual-purpose deep cycle/starter batteries. The Optima starter type batteries are superior replacement units for your car, truck, boat, or other vehicle. Optima deep cycle/starter batteries serve dual purposes: They are superior starter batteries, but they also are designed to withstand repeated deep discharging (down to a charge level of 10.5 volts) without having their life span shortened. This ability makes them especially useful when electrical loads exceed recharge rate (including times when the battery cannot be recharged at all, such as for marine trolling motors, or for running car audio equipment with your engine turned off.) Optima deep cycle batteries are very popular for marine trolling motors, winches, special lighting, portable power, and emergency backup systems of all types. If you need high performance power for car audio, the best battery for you is one or more of the largest Optima deep cycle/starter batteries you can fit in.

AZJD
04-23-2007, 06:58 AM
If anyone has any friends who work somewhere they have an account with a battery distributor, go through them, I got my bluetops from Sunbelt battery whom we have an account with and got them for 151.00 ea. I heard a rumor of the bluetops at sams club and costco for 155-160.00 but don't know how true that is.

phebus
04-23-2007, 07:01 AM
One more thing in regards to using a deep cycle battery also as a starting battery:
Question: Can a deep cycle battery be used for engine starting?
Absolutely. If the cranking amps rating is sufficient for your vehicle, there is no reason not to use a deep cycle battery for starting, and if the vehicle's electrical circuit will experience heavy discharging, you will likely get more years of service from the deep cycle battery. Optima deep cycle batteries have more than enough cranking amps for the vast majority of cars, light trucks and SUV's on the road.

Havasu1
04-23-2007, 08:29 AM
Here are a few more reasons. Too lazy to ge back and switch the battery from 2 to 1. 2 setting has marine batteries in series for the stereo, amps .... 1 setting has the starter battery. Hell, it's not just lazy, sometimes I just forget....maybe it was the last beer.....or three...or four.

Not So Fast
04-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Here are a few more reasons. Too lazy to ge back and switch the battery from 2 to 1. 2 setting has marine batteries in series for the stereo, amps .... 1 setting has the starter battery. Hell, it's not just lazy, sometimes I just forget....maybe it was the last beer.....or three...or four.
Thats why I just returned the Optima starting battery I bought for my #3sons boat on Fri for a Optima Blue Top deep cycle, he would forget or be lazy about it.
I have seached everywhere including Sams Club and Costco and have NOT found them there?? Which store has them?? All of the prices total out at $200 after shipping so I just bit the bullet (or he did) and bought it at AutoZone> NSF

AZJD
04-23-2007, 10:24 AM
I hate optima batteries. They made me have to listen to loud music all day yesterday because they wouldn't die!:D :D :D