PDA

View Full Version : Plane Goes Down on River at Park Moabi

PaPaG
04-22-2007, 07:18 PM
At roughly 130pm a single engine seaplane was attempting to either land on the Colorado river or to perform what we were told was a touch and go around site 22 at Park Moabi, Pilot error (Off duty Havasu Battalion Chief) left the landing gear down by accident and as the plane landed it caught the front landing gear and flipped the plane upside down. 4 were aboard and are safe, A grandmother, grandfather and a their grandson roughly 14yrs old were on board with the pilot, all got out with some assistance from a couple of good boaters. The boaters tried to stabilize the upside down plane as they floated down river alongside the plane. Greg with Vessel Assist got on scene and took over and safely towed the boat to site 7 at Park Moabi where a crew consisting of Greg and help secured the boat to shore. At roughly 455pm a crane from Havasu got to site 7 and righted the plane with Greg diving and attaching straps to the rear. The crane pulled the plane up high enough and the crew flipped the plane over back on its pontoons. After some minor preparation Vessel Assist (Greg) towed the boat down river, through the channel and into the marina at Moabi where the plane sits for the night.

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-22-2007, 07:28 PM
Thank God everyone is o.k.

hal300t
04-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Each float has 2 wheels which can come out for landing on runway, when touching down on floats at 60/70 with wheels down makes for abrupt drag and in this case nose over. All ok though, lucky.

PaPaG
04-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Have some great pics, just trying to figure out hot to post them now..

OutCole'd
04-22-2007, 07:33 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29252&d=1177299037

PaPaG
04-22-2007, 07:33 PM
Have some great pics, just trying to figure out hot to post them now..
The Pilot said that he just made a mistake and left the gear down by accident... Everyone can make a mistake, thank GOD they are all OK...you can always replace the plane..

PaPaG
04-22-2007, 07:39 PM
Thanks Billy, here are a few more..

phuggit
04-22-2007, 07:40 PM
Wow. Glad everyone was ok.

Jordy
04-22-2007, 07:43 PM
This pic needs some type of caption, although I'm not sure what it would be:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29253&d=1177299427

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-22-2007, 07:44 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29254&d=1177299522

phuggit
04-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Finders Keepers?

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-22-2007, 07:48 PM
They should change their name to
plane and simple tow.:D

Jordy
04-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Any of you boys seen an aircraft carrier around here??? :D :D :D
In all seriousness, glad everyone is ok. Had to be a scary realization when she started to nose over. :jawdrop:

Boatcop
04-22-2007, 07:52 PM
He comes down to Parker a lot. Ties up at our dock. Uses the Strip for touch & gos due to the long straight-away in front of my office. Good for pilots training for their sea plane endorsement.

PaPaG
04-22-2007, 07:52 PM
[QUOTE=Jordy;2517235]This pic needs some type of caption, although I'm not sure what it would be:
Thanks for posting pic Jordy, I think the caption could be:
Planes, Trains or Autos, Vessel Assist to the Rescue...
Greg from vessel Assist kicked a$$ that is for sure....

Desert Rat
04-22-2007, 08:22 PM
How about
"It's as close to a tread mill as we'll ever get....."

Mandelon
04-22-2007, 08:27 PM
Wow. I wish my boat could fly. :D
Amazing everyone is OK. Good news.

MR.rvrluvr
04-22-2007, 08:29 PM
glad everyone is ok.....doesn't look like too much damage...

mobldj
04-22-2007, 08:40 PM
Finders Keepers?
maybe....ok hit it

MR.rvrluvr
04-22-2007, 08:46 PM
Wow. I wish my boat could fly. :D
Amazing everyone is OK. Good news.
like your sig.......SNIP SNIP :D :D

rrrr
04-22-2007, 09:32 PM
The Pilot said that he just made a mistake and left the gear down by accident.....
I was gonna say.......as soon as I saw the photo, the cause of the crash was easy to determine. :jawdrop:

Marty Gras
04-22-2007, 10:03 PM
That thing was goin' low and slow over Havasu on Friday. Greg, $125 a foot for boats, what is it for planes?

Robert1050
04-22-2007, 11:13 PM
Earlier on Saturday, we saw him touch-down in the big bay North of Havasu Springs. Once he touched down onto the water, I thought he slowed down real quick, now I wonder if he had the wheels down at that time & he just got unlucky at Moabi. He sat for a few minutes, then took off & headed south - probably on his way to the meeting with the crane....

EAZYKILLER2006
04-23-2007, 12:15 AM
The Pilot said that he just made a mistake and left the gear down by accident... Everyone can make a mistake, thank GOD they are all OK...you can always replace the plane..
glad everyone is ok...

Wheeler
04-23-2007, 05:15 AM
We also had, three Canadian "float planes" visit us on the 19th, in Parker.
They are looking for a place (hangar) to purchase, close to the river.
The 172 which crashed, is based at Havasu.

Sherpa
04-23-2007, 05:30 AM
almost no damage to the body of the plane.......... with exception of the
strap almost cutting off the tail...
cool rescue........
--Sherpa

Chipster27
04-23-2007, 07:06 AM
With the growing concern over the safety of kite-tubes many have turned to pulling single engine aircraft...

VESSEL ASSIST
04-23-2007, 07:40 AM
Good morning all,
Thank you for the kind comments and the pats on the back, however I was not alone in this deal.
My crew did a fantastic job and I have a big THANK YOU to the people on the beach, the campers and boaters in the area. Some of them I got to meet and some just disappeared before I could thank them for there help.
This incident could have been a nasty clean up if not for the willingness of everybody on scene. Had we not had the help this job would not have looked so easy. From the twenty or so guys handeling the land line to the crew from the Moabi General Store and the crew from S.B. County Parks Dept., to everybody involved, I thank you for your help.
As it turns out we wound up trailering the plane on our salvage pontoon boat trailer and the fit was perfect. We then parked it at the Moabi ramp parking lot and called it a day.
All in all things worked out very well. Nobody got killed, nobody was injured, not even a scratch from the initial incident to clean up completion, that's pretty cool!!!!!
To those of you that helped us out and those standing on scene with the willingness to help I appreciate it and I THANK YOU!!!
Thanks again,
Greg
Metropolitan Marine Solutions
Vessel Assist Needles
866-SAFE-TOW

hotlavey
04-23-2007, 07:51 AM
Plane pushing boat.

Big Kahunaa
04-23-2007, 08:08 AM
we were camped at spot 22 i was in chanel when this happend we saw the plane upside down on the way back to the beach my buddy 78 cole on the boards is the boat that went out and picked every one up glad every one is ok

Sleek-Jet
04-23-2007, 08:59 AM
Earlier on Saturday, we saw him touch-down in the big bay North of Havasu Springs. Once he touched down onto the water, I thought he slowed down real quick, now I wonder if he had the wheels down at that time & he just got unlucky at Moabi. He sat for a few minutes, then took off & headed south - probably on his way to the meeting with the crane....
No... if the wheels are down it's going over on it's back... float planes will slow down pretty quick once they touch down... even without the wheels... :D

PaPaG
04-23-2007, 10:29 AM
Greg, I just got back to the office, I will burn you the CD of the pics as soon as I can and bring it down too you next week. Again good job buddy..
Good morning all,
Thank you for the kind comments and the pats on the back, however I was not alone in this deal.
My crew did a fantastic job and I have a big THANK YOU to the people on the beach, the campers and boaters in the area. Some of them I got to meet and some just disappeared before I could thank them for there help.
This incident could have been a nasty clean up if not for the willingness of everybody on scene. Had we not had the help this job would not have looked so easy. From the twenty or so guys handeling the land line to the crew from the Moabi General Store and the crew from S.B. County Parks Dept., to everybody involved, I thank you for your help.
As it turns out we wound up trailering the plane on our salvage pontoon boat trailer and the fit was perfect. We then parked it at the Moabi ramp parking lot and called it a day.
All in all things worked out very well. Nobody got killed, nobody was injured, not even a scratch from the initial incident to clean up completion, that's pretty cool!!!!!
To those of you that helped us out and those standing on scene with the willingness to help I appreciate it and I THANK YOU!!!
Thanks again,
Greg
Vessel Assist Needles
866-SAFE-TOW

sigepmock
04-23-2007, 10:35 AM
Good morning all,
Thanks again,
Greg
Vessel Assist Needles
866-SAFE-TOW
Humble as always.......good job Greg. :D
Chris

Sleek-Jet
04-23-2007, 01:26 PM
It's not in the accident database yet... think they called anyone???

Sleek-Jet
04-23-2007, 01:37 PM
:idea: Sleek, no why wouldn't that surprise me ?? Will be interesting to see how his airframe / engine & prop logbooks read ??:idea:
Judging by how they picked it up out of the water... if it wasn't scrap after the flip, it is now... the entire empenage is bent I'm sure.
I bet it shows up on ebay as an easy rebuilder after a slight landing "incident"... :rolleyes:

78CoLe
04-23-2007, 05:56 PM
i just helped jaun was the boat that picked them all up my brother and buddy jason swam to rescue the people out of the plain got some pics of the accident ill have 78 southwind post them for me

78Southwind
04-23-2007, 06:05 PM
Here is a couple pictures of the Sea Plane. We were the Hot Boaters at site 22.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/SeaPlane.jpg

78Southwind
04-23-2007, 06:11 PM
Here you can see Steve in Juan's yellow boat helping the lady into the boat via the swim step.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/SeaPlane1.jpg

78Southwind
04-23-2007, 06:21 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/SeaPlane2.jpg

FORMER RAIDERETTE MRS ELIMINATED SPRINTER
04-24-2007, 04:50 AM
Here you can see Steve in Juan's yellow boat helping the lady into the boat via the swim step.
My two personal heros;) and to everyone that jumped into play on that beach what a great group of people:D my god with the plane the fire and boat problems how can we possibly top the next trip:D

roostwear
04-24-2007, 05:19 AM
Not to mention the launching expertise on the beach. Rermember.... "Keep it on TOP of the sand". Learn it.... live it.... know it.....

FORMER RAIDERETTE MRS ELIMINATED SPRINTER
04-24-2007, 05:31 AM
Not to mention the launching expertise on the beach. Rermember.... "Keep it on TOP of the sand". Learn it.... live it.... know it.....Oh my god I forgot:D that was funny don't yachts belong in the ocean:D or its easy my truck can do its no problem I wont get stuck:D :D

mmered8299
04-24-2007, 06:09 AM
I saw a bigger plan touch and go last month out there. I'm thinking to myself, what a dumb ass. The river is crowed enough. Now I have to look out for plans too! WTF

VESSEL ASSIST
04-24-2007, 06:39 AM
Humble as always.......good job Greg. :D
Chris
Hey thanks Chris, BTW I'm still thinking about doing a 40 deep X 80 long X 16 tall steel building. I'll get with ya when the times right.
We'll see you, the Mrs. and the little one soon.
Be well,
Greg
:D

Old Texan
04-24-2007, 07:30 AM
Damn, thought for a minute that Later bought a plane. The landing looks like his work......:D :devil: :jawdrop:

eliminatedsprinter
04-24-2007, 08:08 AM
I barely remember getting them on the boat and to shore, It happened fast and it was all kind of a blurr. We were just beaching Juan's (the Skittles boat) so all we had to do was point it back out, jump in and sprint to the plane. Juan reacted so fast, I just jumped in and we were there. We took the lady and her grandson to shore.:) It was pretty scary first pulling up to the plane we didn't know how bad the people in the plane would be hurt. It was quite a relief to see they were ok and that they could get out ok.:)

ULTRA26 # 1
04-24-2007, 08:17 AM
Damn, thought for a minute that Later bought a plane. The landing looks like his work......:D :devil: :jawdrop:
Perfect Tex:)

Mardonzi
04-24-2007, 08:24 AM
[QUOTE=Sleek-Jet;2518545]It's not in the accident database yet... think they called anyone???[/QUOT
I was just in there yesterday checking out stuff. It's amazing how many of these "landing incidents" don't make the NTSB site. We had Mesa Pilot Develpment do a gear up at Page last week. That one never made it either as well as a fatal just west of Page a week before that.

eliminatedsprinter
04-24-2007, 09:12 AM
No... if the wheels are down it's going over on it's back... float planes will slow down pretty quick once they touch down... even without the wheels... :D
The one in this thread went over forward.:idea: That's for sure, and with a pretty big splash.:eek:

Sleek-Jet
04-24-2007, 09:15 AM
It's not in the accident database yet... think they called anyone???
I was just in there yesterday checking out stuff. It's amazing how many of these "landing incidents" don't make the NTSB site. We had Mesa Pilot Develpment do a gear up at Page last week. That one never made it either as well as a fatal just west of Page a week before that.
I know... gear-ups don't have to be reported... I guess "gear downs" don't have to either... :D It does take a few days for some of the incidents to show up, and they are sometimes listed on the day the report is filled.
I think this would qualify as "substantial damage" though, and if it was a commercial sight seeing flight... then the feds should have been called.

Sleek-Jet
04-24-2007, 09:19 AM
The one in this thread went over forward.:idea: That's for sure, and with a pretty big splash.:eek:
Ya mean like this?? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FGyT30EGZA)
By "on it's back" I mean upside down in the water, no doubt it's going over on it's nose.

eliminatedsprinter
04-24-2007, 09:21 AM
i just helped jaun was the boat that picked them all up my brother and buddy jason swam to rescue the people out of the plain got some pics of the accident ill have 78 southwind post them for me
You guys got there quickly as well. We just took the grandmother and the teenager to shore. I believe the grandfather rode in on that slick little Bahner OB, that also got there as we all pulled up.:)

eliminatedsprinter
04-24-2007, 09:25 AM
Ya mean like this?? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FGyT30EGZA)
By "on it's back" I mean upside down in the water, no doubt it's going over on it's nose.
Oh.
Yes, as soon as the door opened, water started flooding in, and it turned turtle shortly after everyone was out.

Mardonzi
04-24-2007, 10:23 AM
I know... gear-ups don't have to be reported... I guess "gear downs" don't have to either... :D It does take a few days for some of the incidents to show up, and they are sometimes listed on the day the report is filled.
I think this would qualify as "substantial damage" though, and if it was a commercial sight seeing flight... then the feds should have been called.
I agree,, definately substantial damage,, and the Part 135 operation.
In the fatal I mentioned earlier, the report was finally shown today.

VESSEL ASSIST
04-24-2007, 10:45 AM
The words in your post "I guess" and "I think" seem pretty speculative.
I can assure you the proper authorities and agencies were notified form the incident site, this would include the NTSB and the FAA for starters.
As for "substantial damage" maybe we ought to leave that to the professionals to make a determination.
This was nothing more then an unfortunate incident and a posting of the "if this" & "if that" situation just isn't going to help anyone and it may in fact add confussion to an unfortunate incident.
I'm just glade to see everyone involved walked away with out so much as a scratch!!!!!
Greg

HM
04-24-2007, 10:49 AM
I can assure you the proper authorities and agencies were notified form the incident site, this would include the NTSB and the FAA for starters.
As for "substantial damage" maybe we ought to leave that to the professionals to make a determination.
This was nothing more then an unfortunate incident and a posting of the "if this" & "if that" situation just isn't going to help anyone and it may in fact add confussion to an unfortunate incident.
I'm just glade to see everyone involved walked away with out so much as a scratch!!!!!
Greg
What are you new? This is the land of arm chair quarter backs!!!
If you are hoping Bilgie will make you an animated sig...just go after KToy's wife! I'd like to see an animated sig of the vessel assist jumping the shark!

VESSEL ASSIST
04-24-2007, 10:57 AM
True on the arm chair quarter backs, I should have know better.
And yeah that would be a pretty funny sig of the Vessel Assist Boat jump a shark. I do like the train deal and the shark.
Also I can be reached @ (866) SAFE-TOW if anyone has real questions they'ed like answered.

Sleek-Jet
04-24-2007, 12:08 PM
Greg
Once the airplane dunked, it was a write off anyway...
"susbtantial" is from the Federal Aviation Regulations and NTSB Regulations... a submerged airplane is substantially damaged... and it's the pilot's responsibility to notify the the FAA and NTSB... says so right there in the regs.
I'm glad no one was hurt, and because of that I feel a bit more comfortable poking at the situation. But welcome to aviation, we arm chair everything.

Beer-30
04-24-2007, 12:22 PM
Registered to:
HAVASU SEAPLANE ADVENTURES LLC
2701 VIA PALMA
LAKE HAVASU CITY, AZ, 86406

Miss Managed Assets
04-24-2007, 01:54 PM
Registered to:
HAVASU SEAPLANE ADVENTURES LLC
2701 VIA PALMA
LAKE HAVASU CITY, AZ, 86406
Yes that's the company. Spoke with them yesterday and we took pictures of the plane. It was not a sight seeing tour. I'll see if 78SW can download and post the pics. They are going to repair it for future use. Just glad we were all there to help and no major injuries. :)

Sleek-Jet
04-24-2007, 02:01 PM
Yes that's the company. Spoke with them yesterday and we took pictures of the plane. It was not a sight seeing tour. I'll see if 78SW can download and post the pics. They are going to repair it for future use. Just glad we were all there to help and no major injuries. :)
So was it a private flight then (rental)?? Hats off to them for repairing it, but that's going to be a lot of work...

Miss Managed Assets
04-24-2007, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE=Sleek-Jet;2521477]So was it a private flight then (rental)?? Hats off to them for repairing it, but that's going to be a lot of work...[/QUOTE
Student flight to get licensed,(again/renewal) the trainee had 30 thousand flying hours flying fighter jets in the military, just and accident, himself and the instructor just forgot to pull the landing gear while they were landing on the water. They had about $170,000 into it, including radio equip, water landing gear, etc.
ps: Hi Ally.

Beer-30
04-24-2007, 05:32 PM
So was it a private flight then (rental)?? Hats off to them for repairing it, but that's going to be a lot of work...
Especially for a 172!
All new avionics, interior. Yikes. I dunno if submerging is the same for the motor as a prop-strike. Would they have to freshen the motor per regs? or maybe just flush and test.

PaPaG
04-24-2007, 06:02 PM
It was not a student flight to get licensed from what the pilot told the Sheriff. The pilot was doing a touch and go and he said he made a stupid pilot error after all the years of flying and forgot to bring up the landing gear. I was standing right there when he was relaying his story. The passenger (grandfather) acutally certs jet pilots, he just recertified a friends family member that flys jets back in Colorado so he was not a student by any means...

PaPaG
04-24-2007, 06:05 PM
It was not a student flight to get licensed from what the pilot told the Sheriff. The pilot was doing a touch and go and he said he made a stupid pilot error after all the years of flying and forgot to bring up the landing gear. I was standing right there when he was relaying his story. The passenger (grandfather) acutally certs jet pilots, he just recertified a friends family member that flys jets back in Colorado so he was not a student by any means...
Just have to add Thank GOD the Grandfather, Grandmother and Grand kid along with the pilot were not hurt....you can replace the plane...

Classic Daycruiser
04-24-2007, 09:29 PM
From the pictures this plane looks repairable, but I suspect the insurance will find the repair bill exceeds the costs to replace.
I bet it will be parted out. The float kit looks like it could be used again.

Sleek-Jet
04-25-2007, 06:22 AM
ps: Hi Ally.
Hi Roxy... :D

PaPaG
04-25-2007, 03:14 PM
Any news on if the plane is repairable? Hope so.

Wheeler
04-25-2007, 03:47 PM
Once the airplane dunked, it was a write off anyway...
But welcome to aviation, we arm chair everything.
Your statement reminded me of the arm chair QB's at AJO, sitting at the fuel pit, with their score cards! Funny stuff!

Miss Managed Assets
04-25-2007, 05:58 PM
Any news on if the plane is repairable? Hope so.
So far from what they can tell yes. They removed the wings and transported it back to Havasu to start working on it.

PaPaG
04-26-2007, 08:29 PM
Good to hear. So far from what they can tell yes. They removed the wings and transported it back to Havasu to start working on it.

franky
04-26-2007, 09:42 PM
I barely remember getting them on the boat and to shore, It happened fast and it was all kind of a blurr. We were just beaching Juan's (the Skittles boat) so all we had to do was point it back out, jump in and sprint to the plane. Juan reacted so fast, I just jumped in and we were there. We took the lady and her grandson to shore.:) It was pretty scary first pulling up to the plane we didn't know how bad the people in the plane would be hurt. It was quite a relief to see they were ok and that they could get out ok.:)
Nice one buddy. Don't think, just jump in and do the right thing. God bless you. I am sure that the people in the plane that just went through a "holy sh$t" were glad to see you there and right now. WAy to go.
Been on the thank God for good people side of that one before.

78Southwind
04-26-2007, 10:55 PM
I received this from Beth a couple days ago. These are some really good people; I hope all goes well for them in the future.
Dear Jerry and friends,
We wanted to touch base with you and thank you again for all the help you gave us out at Park Moabi. We didn’t have a chance to thank everyone who came to our aid out there on the water and “Thank you” simply doesn’t express the gratitude we feel toward all of you that helped us. It’s people like you that make being here why we think it’s such a great place to be. Please, pass along our heartfelt thanks to everyone who was with your group. You have our deepest gratitude!
Greg is outstanding; well that really doesn’t cover it either. His help after the initial incident was fabulous and helped us concentrate on making the necessary notifications to NTSB, FAA and Civil air patrol. We didn’t want them looking for an emergency beacon from our plane’s ELT unnecessarily.
Each of us, the partners, are so thankful that everyone walked away unhurt and healthy. We’re so grateful. It was heartwrenching to see our life’s dream floating upside down in the river. Planes can be replaced it’s the people who count and all is well because of the help that you all offered to us when we really needed it.
On behalf of all of us at Havasu Seaplane Adventures, Sincerest thank you to all of you.