PDA

View Full Version : How many, and what type of fuel filters do you run?

TahitiTiger
04-23-2007, 07:09 AM
I am sure this is over kill, but I run a Baldwin in line filter (13 micron) near the tank. Then back by the electric fuel pump is a Fram fuel water seperator (the type that uses replacement cartridges). When I bought the boat it had the fram filter on it, and the can was rusting internally due to the guy never emptied it. Now it seems like every time I check it, it drains rusty fuel out (fuel is clean at the carb though). I cut open the first filter, and other some small debris definately not rusty. So my question should I up grade my small in line, and pitch the water seprator. Or should I leave the water seperator in it. And what kind of seperators are you using?
Thanks

Cas
04-23-2007, 07:32 AM
I run one similar to this, nothing else.
http://www.cpperformance.com/images/625-7662.jpg

centerhill condor
04-23-2007, 12:32 PM
I run one similar to this, nothing else.
http://www.cpperformance.com/images/625-7662.jpg
ditto

Some Kind Of Monster
04-23-2007, 12:34 PM
ditto
Same here. Fuel / Water seperator - Filter.

Hallett19
04-23-2007, 12:45 PM
I run a fram regular spin on from the tanks and a clear one from there to the carb. I have a large water seperating filter from 78 Eliminator that I still have not put in.

TahitiTiger
04-23-2007, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the info all :D Seeing as I am a Baldwin warehouse I will be using a BF1212. Which is a 4 micron water sperator :D, I think I am going to just illiminate the cheapy inline pre-filter.
Next question, fuel hose! From tank to engine do you run a hard line (copper, steel, plastic), or do you just use 3/8 hose? Currently I run plain old fuel hose from the bow tank to the engine. Was thinking of replacing it with copper tubing. Your thoughts?
And no saddle tanks are not an option till maybe the winter. I will be pulling the seats back out to paint the boat, so then I can put the saddle tanks back in if want too. (btw would you use the dual inlets on your filter head as a tee for your dual saddle tanks?)

TJS
04-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Perma-Cool w/ 1/2 NPT ports, 2 inlets and 2 outlets. So I do not have to run a "T".
T.J.
www.tjsperformance.com
http://www.tjsperformance.com/images/watersep_bracket02.jpg

Cas
04-23-2007, 05:52 PM
Next question, fuel hose!
I run 1/2" Coast Guard approved rubber hose, nothing fancy. I also change it out every couple of years or so.

Coded-Dude
04-24-2007, 06:39 AM
one in-line fuel filter and one water/fuel separator

IMPATIENT 1
04-24-2007, 06:51 AM
i run a wix water seperator/fuel filter assembly.the filter on it is the size of a bbc oil filter and has a drain cock on the bottom to let out water with.plus the inlet and outlet are 1/2 pipe threads which will allow alot of fuel to pass thru it.i was constantly having water-in-fuel trouble till i started running these set-ups. most part stores sell the wix set-up and replacement filters, the whole kit will cost ya about 55-60bucks but its money well spent.