PDA

View Full Version : Need some hiring advice...

welk2party
04-23-2007, 06:50 PM
I finally have come to a point in my business that I need to hire some help. The problem is I am not sure what kind of salary I should expect to pay. I will detail a rough description of what I am looking for and hopefully get some ideas from you guys.
Basic bookeeping
Help with taking marketing ideas out of the idea stages (research mainly)
Know Excel and Word
Office Manager type duties...purchasing, etc.
Some customer interaction on customer service and follow up.(No Sales)
This is a rough description...not sure if this is enough to get some input or not. Any advice or comments would be appreciated.:D

Burn504
04-23-2007, 07:20 PM
what kind of business?
and remember customer service is sales.... ;)
it really comes down to what you have to spend and what your company is grossing...
will this persons job increase business in anyway? or just to help maintain? give you time off?
lots of things go into how much someone is worth. Remember that this person will most likely want a raise in a year.

JetBoatRich
04-23-2007, 07:24 PM
Hours required to help you build the business, sounds like growth is there

welk2party
04-23-2007, 07:33 PM
It is a financial services company. As far as growth, the sky is the limit. I am looking to open another branch in Nevada within a year. I am willing to pay for the right person, but I am trying to gauge how much that might be. I want someone who wants something long term and wants to grow with me. This person would be key in giving me more time to create revenue and further opportunities for my sales force.

Pheelin Phroggy
04-23-2007, 07:45 PM
We normally will determine the job title.... this sounds like an executive assistant, maybe office management, depending on actual overall duties. I then write the overall job description, including potential growth opportunity along with duties and minimum qualifications we except. Then I go to www.salaries.com, find comparable salaries within the positions geographical region, then drop about 10% for negotiation room depending upon qualifications. As we interview, we always ask what salary they are expecting... if it falls within the industry norm or (our allowable range) all is good, if not, we present our starting salary.. and any benefits value which we include with the offered position.
Not everyone goes through this whole process.... but I like to make sure we pay competitive wages while allowing room for salary growth, and everyone fully understands what is expected of them, from the beginning (surprises are normally not fun) Basically covering our company also.
My 2 cents.....

welk2party
04-23-2007, 07:58 PM
We normally will determine the job title.... this sounds like an executive assistant, maybe office management, depending on actual overall duties. I then write the overall job description, including potential growth opportunity along with duties and minimum qualifications we except. Then I go to www.salaries.com, find comparable salaries within the positions geographical region, then drop about 10% for negotiation room depending upon qualifications. As we interview, we always ask what salary they are expecting... if it falls within the industry norm or (our allowable range) all is good, if not, we present our starting salary.. and any benefits value which we include with the offered position.
Not everyone goes through this whole process.... but I like to make sure we pay competitive wages while allowing room for salary growth, and everyone fully understands what is expected of them, from the beginning (surprises are normally not fun) Basically covering our company also.
My 2 cents.....
That makes way too much sense! lol:D

Parker Dreamin
04-23-2007, 08:07 PM
so you are hiring ?

welk2party
04-23-2007, 08:09 PM
so you are hiring ?
Yup. Just getting my ducks in line so I can hire for what I actually need and can reasonably afford.:D :rolleyes:

Baja Big Dog
04-23-2007, 09:40 PM
18-20 bucks, if she (they) are good and hands free.:)

DeltaSigBoater
04-23-2007, 10:14 PM
Yup. Just getting my ducks in line so I can hire for what I actually need and can reasonably afford.:D :rolleyes:
Where & when do I send my Resume? :D

Parker Dreamin
04-24-2007, 08:24 AM
good luck bud, hope it all works out for you.

HM
04-24-2007, 09:16 AM
Do you still rule with an iron fist? :D

catman-do
04-24-2007, 09:17 AM
What type of Financial business is it? Advising? Mortgage? Investing? Taxes? Accounting? I think if you hire a secretary and they need to know certain regulatory information then your typical secretary pay scale is going to be too low. However if its a mortgage company and they are just dispatching phone calls and making flyers for the agents then you could offer lower than a standard secretarial wage.