PDA

View Full Version : NH Noise Question

Avenger 1975
02-07-2006, 02:58 PM
Has anyone had any issues with noise on NH lakes? I'm running a stock 455 with Hardin logs. The boat safety site says:
"All vessel engines must be equipped with an effective muffling device or underwater exhaust. Excessive noise can prevent a vessel operator from hearing signals and voices.
The noise level of any motorized vessel measured at a distance of 50 feet or more from the vessel must not exceed:
86 decibels for engines manufactured prior to January 1, 1978
84 decibels for engines manufactured between January 1, 1978, and December 31, 1981
82 decibels for engines manufactured after December 31, 1981.
It is illegal to own or operate a vessel that exceeds the decibel limit or a vessel that is equipped with a device that adjusts the muffling device."
I'd like to trailer around a bit to Winnepesaukee, Squam, or other and don't want to get there and be told I can't launch.

Dimarco Kid
02-07-2006, 03:57 PM
Hey man, here's the ONLY thing I can tell you.
I had a Nordic V-drive with a BBC in it with Bassett over-transoms. Ran Winn a couple of times, never had a problem. BUT....when my dad bought his Daytona from Bill Littlefield at Channel Marine, they legally couldn't sell it to him with Bassetts. So...he just took the boat with the headers unistalled. No biggie. When we asked why no Bassetts, he told us that the law on the lake and in NH prohibited it. Bear in mind, that was in 1996 also. Older boats, have older guidelines...usually.
Hope that LITTLE bit of info helped. Take care.

Avenger 1975
02-07-2006, 07:13 PM
I have an old Correct Craft inboard with V6 and wet exhaust, have run it for 20 plus years on a small lake with no problem. The Avenger is louder (I think), especially as the jet needs more rpm at mid range speeds so I've wondered if I'll have problems. From what I've heard launching is where they will check you, a warden will be at the ramp checking for muffling.
The OT pipes are so visible that I can see it being more of a problem.

HammerDown
02-08-2006, 05:50 AM
For several years I went to Lake Winnipesaukee in June for Bike Week. I have friends with a house right on the Lake.
They suggested I do NOT bring my Daytona with OT headers (mufflers or not). All the rich well-to-do's don't want the noise. When boating with them I've seen it first hand...the water police can be pricks...big time!

Dimarco Kid
02-08-2006, 07:43 AM
You know the funny thing is...when I pulled down by the Wiers ramp, wardens gave me the "eye" BIGTIME, but I never launched there. Always went up the east shore a ways to my buddies house and launched there. Obviously, that's where we stayed so that's where we unloaded. The Wiers is too rough anyways, I always had trouble with goons in Cigarettes, Donzis, etc... wanting to see the boat. When the came up to me, bilge pump started running if you know what I mean! I'd stay away from Winn, for reasons like Hammer said, and you're gonna be on your toes the whole time with a low profile boat. I was. But, I know alot of jet guys in NH who run just fine, used to be "Performance Boats of New England" in Hookset, and he had a dozen jets or so just in his showroom. Had alot of clientel built up. Not a native there, but the larger lakes here in Maine always give you trouble with the wardens, smaller ones never! Might be that way there, dunno.
But...I'm a cop, and "master badge" always gets me off! LOL! :cool:

Avenger 1975
02-08-2006, 07:53 PM
I used to drive by Performance Boats but never stopped in, they had a lot of hardware in the yard at all times. I don't know if there is enough business or long enough season to keep a place like that going in the northeast. I'd like to have some interior work done and have no idea where to go, the regular new boat dealers don't seem to want to talk about 30 year old boats.

Dimarco Kid
02-09-2006, 05:35 AM
I know of a few in my area, but it's a 4 hour ride for you. Bill Littlefield at Channel Marine (@ the Wiers) is very knowledgable and has alot of connections. He's always building some sort of hot rod or boat, he'd know who in the area is doing projects like yours. You live near the Wiers? I'd be interested in meeting you when I come down for Laconia this year. Let me know how I can help....we hot boaters are far n few in between up here!

Avenger 1975
02-10-2006, 08:46 PM
I'll contact Bill Littlefield, thanks for the lead. I live in Concord, about 40 minutes SW of Laconia. I'm a long time boater but just got my Avenger running late last summer so haven't yet trailered it around to area lakes. Its completely stock and in rough cosmetic condition so I don't know if I qualify yet as a hot boater!
I have a friend in Bangor, used to live in Orrington right on Brewer Lake. Are many of those Bangor area lakes big enough to run your boat on?

Dimarco Kid
02-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Oh yeah...plenty big enough! My girlfriend lives in Bucksport, next town over from Orrington! 15mins from Brewer. I'll help any way I can.
Check out my "cat lovers" thread...see what's being put together. Maybe you could make it? Hot Boat gathering on Sebago, (Portland) Lake!