PDA

View Full Version : Going rate for service?

laveydayz
04-23-2007, 07:50 PM
Got a quote from Les' Marine in Boulder City for $600. This was for changing the oil/filter, water pump/impeller, top off all fluids (496HO) and going over the trailer. Also, includes picking up and returning boat to garage. He says the rear seat has to come out as well. Boat only has 40 hours so its the first actual service other than oil change. Seems high?

Kilrtoy
04-23-2007, 07:51 PM
DEAD ON...sounds about right to me

Havasu_Dreamin
04-23-2007, 07:52 PM
Agreed, sounds about right.....

Jyruiz
04-23-2007, 07:53 PM
Yup, sounds right. There are places in Havi that charge more than that.

laveydayz
04-23-2007, 07:56 PM
DEAD ON...sounds about right to me Thats reassuring. Maybe im just being a tight ass!! Was not sure what all is involved doing the Water pump/impellar? Seems to be labor intensive time wise?

OutCole'd
04-23-2007, 07:56 PM
I would think for $600 it would also include pulling the drive and checking alignment.

laveydayz
04-23-2007, 08:01 PM
Yup, sounds right. There are places in Havi that charge more than that.
Havasu definetely has more options in the way of shops. In Boulder City Les' is one of the few recomended names. Dunsmore is top notch but only caters to high end high HP. All Seasons hardly gave me the time of day when I stopped by their shop. The to cool attitude.

Daytona100
Buy a service book and learn how to do it yourself. It,s really not that hard mostly common sence.:jawdrop:

Jyruiz
I would think for $600 it would also include pulling the drive and checking alignment.
You know, you are right, I payed $466.00 for replacing the water impeller, resurface the housing and doing a full outdrive service. I did my own oil change, otherwise it would have been a little over $600.00.

OutCole'd
04-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Havasu definetely has more options in the way of shops. In Boulder City Les' is one of the few recomended names. Dunsmore is top notch but only caters to high end high HP. All Seasons hardly gave me the time of day when I stopped by their shop. The to cool attitude.
Dunsmore serviced my old Cole with a stock 454. Took great care of me back then.

laveydayz
04-23-2007, 08:03 PM
I would think for $600 it would also include pulling the drive and checking alignment. That was another $300. The boat only has 40hrs so I do not think its needed yet. Les' comes highly recomended by several friends.

Parker Dreamin
04-23-2007, 08:04 PM
$550 is what we paid, but that also included pulling the drive and re-alignment.

Kilrtoy
04-23-2007, 08:05 PM
What year is your 496, the new ones, 06 and newer have more expensive water impellers

OutCole'd
04-23-2007, 08:06 PM
That was another $300. The boat only has 40hrs so I do not think its needed yet. Les' comes highly recomended by several friends.
If that's the case, Sounds about $300 high to me. But if your comfortable, go with it.

laveydayz
04-23-2007, 08:09 PM
What year is your 496, the new ones, 06 and newer have more expensive water impellers Late 05 so the motor may actually be an 06. Have to check that one?

boatnam2
04-23-2007, 08:10 PM
i payed 750 to have my boat done at eddie marine in parker.motor oil(12 qts)kendal 50wt,fram high flow filter,bravo pulled,check alingnment and serviced, everything greased, clean air filter(kn)water seperater changed,new plugs and cap rotor,top off battery, charge battery,clean water strainer,change water pump impeller,pick up boat and drop it off.

laveydayz
04-23-2007, 08:14 PM
If that's the case, Sounds about $300 high to me. But if your comfortable, go with it.
I will call a few shops elseware and get a few other quotes. The problem is having the boat up there im limited on options.
I will check Dunsmore tomorrow. I have stopped by there before and he was always very friendly. By the looks of what was in his shop he is defin. into big HP set ups. Les' charges $50 to pick up and return the boat

OutCole'd
04-23-2007, 08:20 PM
I will call a few shops elseware and get a few other quotes. The problem is having the boat up there im limited on options.
I will check Dunsmore tomorrow. I have stopped by there before and he was always very friendly. By the looks of what was in his shop he is defin. into big HP set ups. Les' charges $50 to pick up and return the boat
I hear you! When I kept my boat here in Vegas there are not many options at all. I do like Dunsmore, very good people there. Like it was said, your impeller can be a big part of your expense. If they are changing the entire assembly, those are expensive. Thats another reason I keep my boat in Havasu, lots of great options there to go with.
Good luck & let us know how it goes.

purrfecttremor
04-23-2007, 08:40 PM
$600 should include re-alignment of the drive. Thats about what absolute in Havi charges and it should be done every year. Thats one hell of an expence if it goes south:idea:

voodoomedman
04-23-2007, 09:14 PM
$600 should include re-alignment of the drive. Thats about what absolute in Havi charges and it should be done every year. Thats one hell of an expence if it goes south:idea:
There you have it. You want that alignment checked now because if it wasn't put on right by your builder or if it just got a little bit out during break in. Well let's put it this way. 600 now or 6000 later.

plaster dave
04-23-2007, 10:01 PM
So.Ca. Speed and Marine just did my friends boat same service for $ 450.00 but he drop it off and picked it up so it seems real fair. You dont need the drive alignment done you should be fine.

dicudmore
04-23-2007, 10:07 PM
Got a quote from Les' Marine in Boulder City for $600. This was for changing the oil/filter, water pump/impeller, top off all fluids (496HO) and going over the trailer. Also, includes picking up and returning boat to garage. He says the rear seat has to come out as well. Boat only has 40 hours so its the first actual service other than oil change. Seems high?
Ryan--Mike and Pat at All Seasons do service work for us all the time...they're not the most talkative bunch as you mentioned :wink: but very meticulous/thorough...nothing but great things to say about work they've done for me and other friends up here :cool:

BajaMike
04-23-2007, 10:31 PM
That was another $300. The boat only has 40hrs so I do not think its needed yet. Les' comes highly recomended by several friends.
ALWAYS have the drive pulled and checked for alignment at about 25 hours!
:idea:

vee-driven
04-23-2007, 11:07 PM
Damn, i am in the wrong buisness!

Kokopelli
04-24-2007, 03:10 AM
If your drive hasn't been aligned yet, you should do that with this service!
I hauled my boat back to Shockwave (because I thought servicing at the dealer was better) for the first service and they were supposed to do that. They didn't do it/forgot and the splines got torn up on the next river trip. After some arguing, the paid Eddie's in Parker to fix everything because when the drive was pulled you could tell they didn't do it.
Like someone said, you can pay them now - or pay them more later!

scarabrick2
04-24-2007, 05:57 AM
Give Shane a call @ 702-429-4301. HE IS A MASTER TECH AND STARTED HIS own buisness a little while ago. He used to run a service shop in town but ventured out on his own. I was told he works out of BOULDER CITY AREA. Let me know if you can't or do geta hold of him.
Rick
las vegas

Not So Fast
04-24-2007, 06:23 AM
The 20 hour service is probably your most important service but the technician if you are lucky enough to find one that will do this, should check the entire installation out for loose nuts & bolts and any other things that could have been forgotten or left undone during install. The alignment is critical but once set properly should last a long time, now is the time to check it period, and everybody is right about the price of approx. $600 for a COMPLETE service, expensive yes, but you paid a lot for your boat right? Do it!! NSF PS- I just found out that Walts (Yamaha) charges $275 to do the 20 hour service on Rhinos which they say is crucial because the valves need to be adjusted WTF!!! ONE CYLINDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats highway robbery.