PDA

View Full Version : Gen VI BBC Oil Bypass Valve

Jeff
01-11-2001, 04:46 AM
I have a Gen VI BBC. I want to run a remote oil filter and need to change the bypass valve to one with a higher rating. Where is this valve located?? Looking at the rear of the block, to the left side of the crankshaft their are two plugs scewed into the block. Does this valve go in the hole closest to the crank???
Thanks
Jeff

rjcardinal
01-14-2001, 06:11 PM
The bypass valve on gen V and VI big block chevys is under the remote oil filter adapter. You know, where you would put the oil filter on a car application. There is the center post that the filter spins on where the oil goes back into the block and there is another hole where oil comes in to the filter. This second hole is where the bypass valve is. Its held in place by a circlip.
The two plugs in the block that you mentioned are for factory (cheverolet) oil cooler lines. These should stay pluged for mercruiser applications.
Hope this helps.
Ron rjcardinal@eatel.net

superdave013
01-15-2001, 05:40 AM
If you put a remote oil filter adabter on your block most likely it will not have a by-pass at all. What I do is run a Baldwin 279 oil filter. They have the by-pass built into the filter. Also they have a much heaver can. By far the best filter you can get.

Jeff
01-16-2001, 04:08 AM
Thanks Guys:
I figured it out Sat morning, replace the original 14 with a 25 we will see what happens.
Jeff