PDA

View Full Version : Resume question....

NOTALENT
04-24-2007, 10:04 AM
Im starting to update my Resume and I had a question. Im 23 years old and have only worked at 4 places. 2 of which were straw hat and Kmart back in the day.... The other two were more professional/businesses. One of which I was at for 2 years and the latest is going on 5.
Should I put the Kmart and Strawhat on there, or would it look better without it?

Havasu_Dreamin
04-24-2007, 10:07 AM
IMHO, leave them off.

Tequila-John
Im starting to update my Resume and I had a question. Im 23 years old and have only worked at 4 places. 2 of which were straw hat and Kmart back in the day.... The other two were more professional/businesses. One of which I was at for 2 years and the latest is going on 5.
Should I put the Kmart and Strawhat on there, or would it look better without it?
All depends if those jobs help your resume look stronger for the job you are trying to get.
Example: if you are trying to get a job somewhere in customer service then yes Kmart and Straw hat will help because both jobs require customer service skills.

riverbound
Yes...put ALL work experience up. even if it wasnt a glamorous job it wont show periods of inactivity. And Work experience is work experience, regardelss of where it was.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
04-24-2007, 10:10 AM
Usually, you would only put what is relevant to the job you are interested in. For example, I'm a teacher, but I did grocery work for 17 years. My resume does not have that information on it. It may come up in the interview conversation since I am in my 30's and only have 2 years of work on my resume, but I'll leave that to explain to the principal who is interviewing me. Since you are so young, I don't think an employer is going to question the limited amount of jobs. A one page resume is perfectly acceptable, from what I understand, but I don't do hiring.

NOTALENT
It is for a Management position, I thought it would make me look younger on paper and like RB said "not glorious", but it does show I have always worked.

HM
Does the job you are going for require you to ask "you want fries with that?" :D

Dave C
just lie like everyone else does on their resume.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
04-24-2007, 10:11 AM
All depends if those jobs help your resume look stronger for the job you are trying to get.
Example: if you are trying to get a job somewhere in customer service then yes Kmart and Straw hat will help because both jobs require customer service skills.
I agree.

fatboy95
04-24-2007, 10:12 AM
Put down what shows your experience for the job you are applying. You're only 23 so the best thing to do is get the interview. You can discuss details later. Employers are looking for "what this applicant can do for me". Also, most employers are looking for a fit, which means will your work ethic, skills and personality work in my line of business.

BADBLOWN572
04-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Depending on the amount of time you were with each company, I would list them. Employers like to look and see that their candidates have consistent work history with companies and do not float around too much. With your age, I would try to date employment back as far as I possibly could. I would want to show that you can hold down a job and have a long work history. :)

little rowe boat
04-24-2007, 10:18 AM
Sometimes they ask for a job history 10 yrs. back, in your case being 23 yrs. old and not likely to have a 10 yr. job history, I would go ahead and list all of your previous employment.

HavasuSelect
04-24-2007, 10:23 AM
Remember to keep it at 1 page. Don't make it hard to read either. Most just scan over it.

superdave013
04-24-2007, 10:25 AM
It is for a Management position, I thought it would make me look younger on paper and like RB said "not glorious", but it does show I have always worked.
and I think that is a very key point for someone your age. Shows you have been a go getter from the get go.

riverbound
04-24-2007, 10:32 AM
To those that said only put experience that applies to the job he is going after, I dont agree with you. ALL work experience is relavent in one way ro another.
I hire many people. and if someone "conveniently" left some work experience out, It would turn me off as an employer. Why lie or leave history out?? If you had a job at Kmart hustling carts at age 16 it would show me (as an employer) that you are a go getter. if you worked at straw hat in sales or customer svc. it would show me you can deal with people. The LAST thing you want to do is make you resume inaccurate. because it will come to light and I have seen and I have fired people for lying on their resume.

riverbound
04-24-2007, 10:34 AM
Remember to keep it at 1 page. Don't make it hard to read either. Most just scan over it.
That is also an important Thing to keep in mind. My resume shows almost 10 years of management experience and Millions on top of Millions of dollars in business. and it is still only 1 page. It is very short and to the point, which helps when they are being skimmed over.

uvindex
04-24-2007, 10:38 AM
To those that said only put experience that applies to the job he is going after, I dont agree with you. ALL work experience is relavent in one way ro another.
I hire many people. and if someone "conveniently" left some work experience out, It would turn me off as an employer. Why lie or leave history out?? If you had a job at Kmart hustling carts at age 16 it would show me (as an employer) that you are a go getter. if you worked at straw hat in sales or customer svc. it would show me you can deal with people. The LAST thing you want to do is make you resume inaccurate. because it will come to light and I have seen and I have fired people for lying on their resume.Maybe for a 23-year-old. However, I don't think a 60-year-old who's applying for CEO of Intel or General Motors should include that 16-year-old Kmart Cart Wrangler job. :) There comes a point in every career when the high school jobs need to start being deleted from the old resume.

AirtimeLavey
04-24-2007, 10:43 AM
I would definitely put those on your resume. Unless you had a bad departure from either of those, more experience doesn't hurt. You do want to gear your resume towards what your goal is, especially pertaining to the position you want, but don't exclude any experience as you never know what a potential employer will draw from. Diversity of experience is a good thing in most cases. Make sure to proof read, or have someone else proof read your resume. Last thing you want is missing words or mis-spellings. Good luck.

Pussywhippled
04-24-2007, 10:51 AM
Tell the interviewer that you have almost 9000 posts on ***boat.
You'll get the job for sure...

Tequila-John
04-24-2007, 10:52 AM
Tell the interviewer that you have almost 9000 posts on ***boat.
You'll get the job for sure...
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA. Good one bud

riverbound
04-24-2007, 10:54 AM
Maybe for a 23-year-old. However, I don't think a 60-year-old who's applying for CEO of Intel or General Motors should include that 16-year-old Kmart Cart Wrangler job. :) There comes a point in every career when the high school jobs need to start being deleted from the old resume.
Of course, but if you look at who started this thread he is not applying for a CEO position anywhere.
And in all reality people dont "apply" for a CEO position ;)

scarabrick2
04-24-2007, 11:05 AM
Go to this link.....
http://www.careercc.com/interv3.shtml
Then try this one :)
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.collegesexadvice.com/images/g-spot.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.collegesexadvice.com/g-spot.shtml&h=364&w=347&sz=26&hl=en&start=5&tbnid=A7ekC-HkWZ0cxM:&tbnh=121&tbnw=115&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dg%2Bspot%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr% 3D%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26sa% 3DN

NOTALENT
04-24-2007, 11:26 AM
Wow...lots of different outlooks here. Im just going to leave it on since my history doesnt go back to far yet and I dont want it to look empty..lol. My cousin is going to go over it and fancy it up for me.
Thanks alot everyone :)

2Driver
04-24-2007, 12:22 PM
and have 7 years of good work experience. I see no reason to include the "summer job" stuff unless it is a plus for the job you are applying for or you can prove you did an outstanding job that made a difference where you worked.
If you just busted suds or tossed boxes then I would leave it off IMO.
How you do in the interview will far out weigh the resume.

hoolign
04-24-2007, 04:13 PM
Depends...are applying at Kmart or straw hat? :D

NOTALENT
04-24-2007, 04:18 PM
Depends...are applying at Kmart or straw hat? :D
psshhhh those are my dream jobs, right now im settling for a Strawberry Picker position.....:D Theres alot of competition...I need this resume to stand out....;) :D

a catered life
04-24-2007, 04:46 PM
Yes...put ALL work experience up. even if it wasnt a glamorous job it wont show periods of inactivity. And Work experience is work experience, regardelss of where it was.
i agree and also it shows that you move up the scale as far as money and positions...every good company wants a person that shows he can start from the bottom and work their way up:D