PDA

View Full Version : Braided Hose?

miller19j
10-10-2002, 02:05 PM
I am currently running 5/8 heater hose for my cooling hoses and my system works very well. But I would like to convert to AN fittings and lines but do not know what Number AN hose is equivalent to 5/8. Does anyone know?
Any info would be appreciated

flat broke
10-10-2002, 02:14 PM
I think -10 would be the closest equivaalent. Get ready to pay up, and deffinitely measure 2x and cut once :) I don't know how you were planing on doing it, but I'd take a lot of measurements, buy your hose in bulk and custom fit each hose for its location. You insert your NPT to AN fittings on the motor/inlet/exhaust, put the AN hose end on the hose and tighten onto one side of the runs NPT/AN fitting, then mock the hose the the other end. Take out the correct amount of hose for the other hose end, then pull the hose off the boat, cut, install other hose end, and repeat for every line you want to replace. This way you are only cutting off the bulk of hose and not wasting any.
To cut the braided, you can use a big chisel on flat concrete, or a bandsaw, or a chop saw. You'll want to use tape (I use electrical) at the incision point to minimize the fraying. Hopefully you have a simple coolling system and it wont cost ya too much.
Good luck,
Chris

Boater Bill
10-10-2002, 02:15 PM
I believe #10 is just under, #12 is just over. I use #10 from the jet to the engine, #8 from the intake to the headers, and #8 for fuel delivery.

miller19j
10-10-2002, 02:23 PM
flat broke:
I think -10 would be the closest equivaalent. Get ready to pay up, and deffinitely measure 2x and cut once :) I don't know how you were planing on doing it, but I'd take a lot of measurements, buy your hose in bulk and custom fit each hose for its location. You insert your NPT to AN fittings on the motor/inlet/exhaust, put the AN hose end on the hose and tighten onto one side of the runs NPT/AN fitting, then mock the hose the the other end. Take out the correct amount of hose for the other hose end, then pull the hose off the boat, cut, install other hose end, and repeat for every line you want to replace. This way you are only cutting off the bulk of hose and not wasting any.
To cut the braided, you can use a big chisel on flat concrete, or a bandsaw, or a chop saw. You'll want to use tape (I use electrical) at the incision point to minimize the fraying. Hopefully you have a simple coolling system and it wont cost ya too much.
Good luck,
ChrisThanks I have priced out the parts and it looks like it will be about $450.00. I will definitely measure twice! Cut once

78Eliminator
10-10-2002, 02:37 PM
miller19j:
flat broke:
Good luck,
ChrisThanks I have priced out the parts and it looks like it will be about $450.00. I will definitely measure twice! Cut onceTry to go to a place where they will cut them all for you. It sucks cutting that crap.....

MikeF
10-10-2002, 03:38 PM
You can wrap it w/ tape and cut it w/a jigsaw. Seems to be the quickest way, unless you have a bandsaw :D .

missilemud
10-10-2002, 03:51 PM
i used all earl's stuff . its ok but summit does not carry all the right fittings, go direct to holley and ask them for an earl's catolog first. i did my two boats with every inch of it. get the wrench's too. oil them up nicey and nothing will gall, i use number 12 coming in tee'd off to nuber 10 then step my outlets from the heads to number 8.

missilemud
10-10-2002, 03:54 PM
and use a high speed cut off wheel with shrink tubing on it first , a hack saw will give you the hacked and raggy effect ouch those things hurt , the wizzy wheel makes a nicer cut

gnarley
10-10-2002, 04:03 PM
Cutting is EASY!
1. Use a metal cutoff saw with duct tape wrapped around where you want to cut it
2. Use a Die-grinder with a cutoff wheel with duct tape wrapped around where you want to cut it
3. Use garden pruning bypass shears (the ones with big handles & small blades) with duct tape wrapped around where you want to cut it.
This stuff is not difficult to work with, just watch for torn threads that might stick you & spray a lot of silicone spray on the fittings & hose as you are installing the fittings :)

Hotcrusader76
10-10-2002, 04:25 PM
gnarley:
Cutting is EASY!
2. Use a Die-grinder with a cutoff wheel with duct tape wrapped around where you want to cut it
This stuff is not difficult to work with, just watch for torn threads that might stick you & spray a lot of silicone spray on the fittings & hose as you are installing the fittings :) I also concurr on this...A die grinder with a simple cut off wheel works great.
It is "very easy" when you have the right tools. Invest in a small vice with "soft" jaw inserts to protect the fittings. :D

paradigm shift
10-10-2002, 07:25 PM
Nothing like the look of braided stainless! Hose price is not bad but the fittings will kill your budget. There are some very nice looking push on hose and fittings out now but like i said I do like the stainless.

DetroitJim
10-11-2002, 05:20 AM
A big problem that gets overlooked is to blow out and wash out the hose after cutting off the ends. I failed to do this and got pieces of wire up in my fuel pump flapper valves. It caused a fuel pressure drop that cost me several races before I figured it out. I couldn't exactly turn around and look at my fuel pressure gage at 100mph!! Wash those hoses good.
DJ

flat broke
10-11-2002, 06:52 AM
DetroitJim:
A big problem that gets overlooked is to blow out and wash out the hose after cutting off the ends. I failed to do this and got pieces of wire up in my fuel pump flapper valves. It caused a fuel pressure drop that cost me several races before I figured it out. I couldn't exactly turn around and look at my fuel pressure gage at 100mph!! Wash those hoses good.
DJThats a damn good point DJ. Even more critical if you're doing braided for a remote oil filter/cooler setup.
Chris

HavasuDreamin'
10-11-2002, 06:59 AM
Question.........
If I am going to do my fuel lines this year, what size fittings do I need for a Holly Blue Fuel Pump and Regulator?
Who makes the best fittings?
I assume you buy the hose already braided......who sells this.....Summit....Jegs?
Thanks.

miller19j
10-11-2002, 07:25 AM
Wow guys thanks for all the information! Now I have the dilemma of figuring out witch method I want to use. I have a Band Saw, Cutoff Saw, Cutoff Wheel, EctÂ….. I think that I will buy extra hose and practice/try all the methods before I start.
I will make sure I clean out the lines before installing them good point!
Thanks again for all the info

missilemud
10-11-2002, 07:41 AM
earl's number 8 is fine 10 is insurance

XClutchboy725
10-11-2002, 07:41 AM
Here's a tip to keep your fitting nice and pretty...
Most of us can't afford the $100 AN Wrench Set that keeps you from buggering up your fittings. However, if you use a nice crescent wrench lined with electrical tape, you can keep from ruining the anodizing. You just have to remember to take your time and change the tape often!
I always find myself getting in a hurry and screwing things up! :mad:

burbanite
10-11-2002, 08:37 AM
HavasuDreamin':
Question.........
If I am going to do my fuel lines this year, what size fittings do I need for a Holly Blue Fuel Pump and Regulator?
I assume you buy the hose already braided......who sells this.....Summit....Jegs?
Thanks.HD,
Most likely you will need -6 or-8.
I have a new supplier for this stuff, we used Goodridge and NARP on gasoline Alley but had problems with supply and service.
C&R on Guion Rd carry Icore product, we now use it exclusively.
We have done comparisons with this stuff vs what we had and it outperforms in a number of areas such as flow, weight, strength etc. One of the things I really like is the "swept" fittings, instead of bending a tube and weldeing/brazing it into the fitting the whole thing is made from billet and then bent. It is used in F1, Winston Cup, Outlaws, NHRA, WRC and is a Cosworth OEM piece.
Talk to me before you buy, I'll give you any help you need - purchase and manufacture.

HavasuDreamin'
10-11-2002, 09:25 AM
burbanite:
HavasuDreamin':
Question.........
Thanks.HD,
Most likely you will need -6 or-8.
I have a new supplier for this stuff, we used Goodridge and NARP on gasoline Alley but had problems with supply and service.
C&R on Guion Rd carry Icore product, we now use it exclusively.
We have done comparisons with this stuff vs what we had and it outperforms in a number of areas such as flow, weight, strength etc. One of the things I really like is the "swept" fittings, instead of bending a tube and weldeing/brazing it into the fitting the whole thing is made from billet and then bent. It is used in F1, Winston Cup, Outlaws, NHRA, WRC and is a Cosworth OEM piece.
Talk to me before you buy, I'll give you any help you need - purchase and manufacture.Very Cool, it will be a winter project, most likely after christmas. I will call you before I buy. L8

Fired Up
10-11-2002, 07:48 PM
Try racerpartswholesale.com for your fittings and hose. They are very helpful and give you a discount on orders over $100.00 and had the best prices I found. And for most projects you will reach that very quickly. Just like others have already explained here be sure and double check your measurement and diagram your project on paper for the parts you will need. Nothing like starting your project and coming up one piece short. Good luck.

V-Driver
10-22-2002, 02:14 AM
Sizing for AN hose and fittings is 1/16"=1 hose size. Example 1/2" hose is #8 or 8/16s.
So your 5/8"=10/16s or #10 AN (AN is Army/Navy)
Andrew