PDA

View Full Version : 6M-2 Boxes

LUVNLIFE
04-24-2007, 06:40 PM
I'm getting some conflicting stories even from MSD. Has anyone had one fixed? MSD says no but I have talked to people who say they sent theirs there. Talked to BR Motorsports in Visalia and he won't touch it. I read a thread on here one time that some people had theirs fixed even though they are riveted, they drill them out and put screws. Is it the potting:confused: Help please:D

rrrr
04-24-2007, 08:36 PM
I used to do component level PCB repair. I fixed some potted boards, but it was a mofo to clean the epoxy off without destroying what you were trying to fix.
That's prolly the issue......

LUVNLIFE
04-25-2007, 06:16 PM
C-mon gearheads no info or what:D :D

Ryan00TJ
04-26-2007, 03:19 PM
From what I have heard from MSD and other friends they MSD, will not repair the gel filled marine boxes only the regular boxes.

Obsessive Compulsive
04-27-2007, 06:35 AM
I just got mine back from MSD. All they will do is check it on a test Sequence for like 12Hr. They will not open it up, they said to me. But they may find a broken wire or bad conector, as well how much voltage it puts out at different loads over time. Good luck.

wsuwrhr
04-27-2007, 06:41 AM
One more reason not to run an "M" box.
I have had my red box fixed my MSD. No charge no headache.

LUVNLIFE
04-27-2007, 06:57 PM
What good does it do to check it if I know it's bad:confused: I wish I had known they couldn't be repaired before I bought a new one otherwise I would have switched to a AL.:mad: At least I have a new one and an extra but one more prob and I'm switching. Anyone running the Mallory highfire? Isn't it color coded the same as MSD as I've heard? Is it any better? Thanks

Oldsquirt
04-27-2007, 07:26 PM
If MSD wont fix it, why not drill out the rivets and open it up. Never know, you might actually see the problem. If you don't feel like it, I would love to pull one apart to see whats inside. :)
BTW, I use a 6AL on my boat.

LUVNLIFE
04-27-2007, 07:31 PM
I would open it up but I want to make sure it isn't repairable. I still have people telling me they had theirs fixed by MSD.:mad: Anybody else:confused:

rrrr
04-28-2007, 09:04 AM
I would open it up but I want to make sure it isn't repairable. I still have people telling me they had theirs fixed by MSD.:mad: Anybody else:confused:
Well, if MSD says they won't fix it, either they used to do it and quit or your people are full of shit.
Either way, since MSD says no, then you have nothing to lose by opening it.

AzMandella
04-28-2007, 08:47 PM
Well I had a ML-6 go bad but it was my own fault.I had a battery issue and when it got too low it undervoltaged the box and killed it.The guuy at MSD and I figured it out on the phone and he said just send it back and they would send me a new one.And it was 1-1/2 yrs out of warranty.I've been using the replacement for 5 yrs now.

IMPATIENT 1
04-28-2007, 09:15 PM
If MSD wont fix it, why not drill out the rivets and open it up. Never know, you might actually see the problem. If you don't feel like it, I would love to pull one apart to see whats inside. :)
BTW, I use a 6AL on my boat.
i've fixed alot of the 6a series boxes. drill out the 4 rivets holding the backing plate on, unscrew the board from the heat sink(the boxis the sink), remove the wire pass thru grommets and slowing back the board outta the box. flip it over and look at the solders where the heavy gauged red and black wires solder to the board. i've seen alot of cold soldering from the factory there so just look for cracks in the solder and if you find some, resolder those contacts. if the box got wet and shorted, there's alittle fused jumper circuit built onto the board by the big transformer that'll burn in too.you can just it with a string of wire and solder. i've never been into a digital msd, but the 6a,6al,btm are all easy to fix.

Rexone
04-28-2007, 11:03 PM
Well I had a ML-6 go bad but it was my own fault.I had a battery issue and when it got too low it undervoltaged the box and killed it.The guuy at MSD and I figured it out on the phone and he said just send it back and they would send me a new one.And it was 1-1/2 yrs out of warranty.I've been using the replacement for 5 yrs now.
MSD's alway been pretty good about warranteeing boxes in the past. I've heard they've tightened it up since the new ownership although I havn't tried to return anything lately out of warranty. The rep also told me that they don't fix the potted 6M boxes, just replace them. May be why the warranty thing has tightened up (again this is just what I've heard).
Normally it is an inadequate power or bad ground issue that kills them. With the potted 6M boxes though I'd imagine the problem described above with the soldier joints is less likely.