PDA

View Full Version : Suicide and teenagers

boater012
04-24-2007, 08:06 PM
I lost someone close to me and wanted to let everyone klnow to hold theire children and most importantly let them know that you love them every day!!! Make it so your kids will be able to tell you everything without fear and want to talk to you about it all.
Death is a tragedy no one should have to deal with at 17!

Tom Brown
04-24-2007, 08:08 PM
Sorry, b12. :(

27 Awesome cat
04-24-2007, 08:10 PM
Sorry to hear this..Having a 17y/o this hits close to home.

DILLIGAF
04-24-2007, 08:16 PM
I am sorry to hear of this. Sad....

riverbound
04-24-2007, 08:20 PM
Very sorry to hear this :( Parents just need to stop and listen every once in a while.

boater012
04-24-2007, 08:26 PM
bad

DeltaSigBoater
04-24-2007, 08:35 PM
My brother & I lost one of our good friends in Sept '04.
I know what you're going through, it is sad, sorry for your loss.

boater012
04-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Thank you all for the kind words.

RaceFace
04-24-2007, 09:00 PM
I'm sorry to hear that B12, I welled up just reading your post. Truly sorry.

Outnumbered
04-24-2007, 09:45 PM
Sad news. I think you did the right thing. More parents need to stop thinking about themselves so much and spend more time and love on their children.
I was fortunate growing up and try to do the same for my kids now. My dad worked 2 jobs and my mom worked too just to make ends meet; and they still found time to coach our ball teams and take us to Angel games. No substitute for good parenting.
Hang in there man.

ratso
04-24-2007, 10:54 PM
Parents have to be involved with their kids... It's a tough world nowdays... I went to a funeral last week of a lady I went to school with, committed suicide, and I won't go into details but it was over family and the turmoil surrounding it... sorry for your loss...:(

C-2
04-24-2007, 11:16 PM
Sorry to hear about that, but thanks for reminding us how even the simplest things reap huge benefits. Whenever I lose my temper or patience with my little girlie, I always remind myself about my committment to her.
I swore early on that kids are supposed to have fun and learn, those are their "jobs", and I will do everything to ensure she is happy. Even if I don't have a nickel to my name, she will always be able to be a kid.
Thanks again for the reminder.:(

JetStalker
04-25-2007, 12:41 AM
I understand exactly where you're coming from. I had three of my friends, all in a 2 year span, commit suicide. They were all a very tragic ending to a very young life. One was two days away from his 16th birthday, one just turned 17 and the other was 28, married, and had a baby on the way. I agree with everyone on the parents needing to be involved in their children's lives...you have no idea what a HUGE difference that makes. I just went through a very tough time, and without my parents there to help and support me, I was leaning toward the same end...but they helped me and pulled me through. Some kids will threaten and talk about suicide, but no matter what, even if they've attempted before and failed....that is a DESPERATE cry for help and love and attention, so please take heed! Don't dismiss it, thinking that it won't happen again, or that they're just being "immature." My friend (the 16 year old) would still be alive today, he would have graduated with me, he would still be our goofy friend....if his parents would have listened.
As for the adults....it's almost the same, please pay attention to the crys for help. They may come in a different form then the way the kids do it, but they're still there and they still need help!
...ok...I'll get off my soapbox now.

Rexone
04-25-2007, 03:33 AM
Very sorry for your loss B12 :(
Like JS said, your advice doesn't only apply to teens.

jimslade
04-25-2007, 04:26 AM
I've have 14, 18 and 21 year old boys. I'm in their lives whether they like it or not. snowmobiling, boating, golfing etc. All homeshooled, I think they will look back and realise what a great life they had with their parents. The oldest is working with me in automotive restoration. Quantity time is better than "quality" time.

ahhell
04-25-2007, 04:34 AM
So sorry about your loss.
Having a 16 and 19 y/o at home this is scarry to think of, but you said it so well...spend time with your kids, know what they are doing, be a parent and a friend
God Bless

lhchouse
04-25-2007, 05:55 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss - my 15 year old got lost for a bit last year and I can clearly see that we assumed he was just fine and that was a big mistake so now we make an effort each and every day to make sure he knows he's loved and accepted - he's good now but we keep our eyes wide open, our arms even more open and thank God we reeled him back in early. What is the saying?? When it comes to last wishes - no one ever wished they worked more...

Parker Dreamin
04-25-2007, 06:39 AM
Sorry to hear the news bro, sad to hear when anybody takes their own life.
I thank my parents for being there for me when I needed them.

RitcheyRch
04-25-2007, 06:51 AM
So sorry to hear this news. My thoughts and prayers are with you and the family.

Hopdaddie
04-25-2007, 06:58 AM
I have boys that are 14 and 16... I thank God everyday that I have such awesome children in my life. I could not imagine this world without them. I truly feel your loss and hope you can find comfort in knowing he is now in a better place, my thoughts and prayers are with you...

All-Star
04-25-2007, 07:07 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. I almost lost my 12 year old brother when I was 15. Yes he was crying out for attention. Yes parents can loose sight.
We remember to wake up every day and brush our teeth, then why can we not everyday tell our kids we love them and that we are proud of them as we hug them.
I was raised by crappy abusive parents, and now I know how NOT to raise children. I talk to my kids every day. My 10 year old son runs home from school everyday..... just so he can be home with me. My 14 year old daughter wants me to take her out to lunch everyday from school (I just cant do it everyday). I have been to the darkside, and I think I have learned what not to do. But we never know it ALL. We always need to keep our eyes open, just as you said.
I thank you for your slap up side the head type of a wake up call. Hopefully this tragic situation will help save another child/persons life.
Once again I am so so sorry for your loss. Give yourself plenty of time to greive. And at least he is not suffering anymore. He is in a way better place now. Thank God

Aqua Boogie1
04-25-2007, 08:13 AM
At a loss for words..............................Sorry for your loss.:(

boater012
04-26-2007, 11:33 PM
I am saddened that some guy drunk posting at 2:30 in the morning gets 6500 views and something with merit that is beneficial to many gets 500!
I notice that any thing that deals with feelings or reality gets ignored while drama prevails!:( :( :(

SHOTKALLIN
04-27-2007, 12:07 AM
Sorry for your loss. May your friend rest in peace.

boater012
04-28-2007, 02:22 PM
I just got back from the service and it was beautiful, This young man touched so many in such a short period of time that it is amazing.
If only one person reaches out for their child over this post it'll be worth how hard it has been for me to write it all!:(

bchbum
04-28-2007, 06:38 PM
When I was 17 one of my best friends killed himself . I walked into his house & found him dead , going into the livingroom & telling his mom was the hardest thing I ever have done . ( she wasn't home & wasn't sure if he was home when she got there ).All of us were doing many things wrong at that time & most likely heading toward jail , I made a turn that day & never looked back .

Rexone
04-28-2007, 10:06 PM
I am saddened that some guy drunk posting at 2:30 in the morning gets 6500 views and something with merit that is beneficial to many gets 500!
I notice that any thing that deals with feelings or reality gets ignored while drama prevails!:( :( :(
It's a shame but commonplace here and on other forums and I suspect in society in general. :(

wolfie
04-28-2007, 10:35 PM
My condolences. It is very difficult to loose someone that young. I would like to convey to you and the family my deepest sympathy.
I have a 17 y/o son. His mother and I are very active in his life. He's very responsible and mature. but it doesn't matter how much you're involved, there's still that worry. There is too much pressure in their lives. More so than when I was that age.
A friend of mine in high school (who we thought had everything going for him) came home and found his dad porking someone other than his mother. He ended up killing himself over it. Very sad thing when a teenager decides that suicide is the only way out. I talk with my son all the time about teenage problems.