PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help.

riverbound
04-24-2007, 08:35 PM
I'm looking for a new laptop. And to be honest I have no idea what Im looking at so hopefully some of you can help me out.
I have been looking at computers on line and now I am more confused than when I started.
Here is what I use it for.
Emails 200-300 a day
Pictures, I have TONS of pics on my current computer
Music about 10 gig on my Itunes
Internet, obviously ;)
Good battery life (watching movies on the plane and using it in the stores when plugs arent abvailable)
And a lot of the time I am running these at the same time.
I was looking at the Dell XPS laptops but I get confused when it comes to processors, Ram, etc.... I went to Circuit Shitty to ask for some help and the guy knew less than I did.

27 Awesome cat
04-24-2007, 08:38 PM
I'll trade you mine for a shot of Patron:D

riverbound
04-24-2007, 08:40 PM
I'll trade you mine for a shot of Patron:D
What a deal :D

riverbound
04-24-2007, 08:41 PM
Oh, it also needs to be extremely durable. My computer is with me 24/7 so that means it goes to Glamis with me, River etc... so it must be able to withstand it.

27 Awesome cat
04-24-2007, 08:41 PM
What a deal :D
Wait!!! Where are you first?

Mandelon
04-24-2007, 08:42 PM
I had a toshiba, it was good. :)
I have a Lenovo, it sucks. :(

riverbound
04-24-2007, 08:43 PM
Wait!!! Where are you first?
depends...currently, Nor Cal, River this weekend, then back to to FLorida next week or the week after.

RaceFace
04-24-2007, 08:45 PM
Well, most of the Dell systems are coming with Vista. Are you ready for that?? I have messed with it at work and am far from impressed. If you are going to spend that kind of dough for an XPS....go to Apple. Its easy to learn....and not far off from where Microsoft has taken Vista. Itunes is ready for your songs....as is iPhoto for all your pics. You can put Microsoft Office in it for about $100. Trust me, you wont be happier with a system!

Spotondl
Get a Mac... No virus' or spyware. Just use the thing... MacBook Pro

riverbound
Any of the Sony Vaio's !! very happy !!
I have a vaio vgn-s260 currently. I went and looked at the new ones and they seemed cheap :( As far as the performance the guy said they were the fastest etc... but the one he was trying to sell me had fewer features than my current computer.

27 Awesome cat
04-24-2007, 08:46 PM
depends...currently, Nor Cal, River this weekend, then back to to FLorida next week or the week after.
You are like a traveling pimp:D ...Here let me help you out..=http://www.consumersearch.com/www/computers/laptops/index.html

riverbound
04-24-2007, 08:47 PM
Well, most of the Dell systems are coming with Vista. Are you ready for that?? I have messed with it at work and am far from impressed. If you are going to spend that kind of dough for an XPS....go to Apple. Its easy to learn....and not far off from where Microsoft has taken Vista. Itunes is ready for your songs....as is iPhoto for all your pics. You can put Microsoft Office in it for about $100. Trust me, you wont be happier with a system!
that was an option I was looking at. I have never used a Mac. How dificult would it be to transfer all my photos. music, files, etc... form my PC?

RaceFace
04-24-2007, 08:52 PM
Not that tough at all. Best thing is to use an external drive to transfer all the stuff from your old system to the drive...then grab it with the new one. If you dont have one, its probably a good idea to buy one anyways to run monthly backups, to protect all those photos and songs. To learn it is a piece of cake. Its much easier than Windows...that was my downfall. I was "overthinking" the Apple...instead of 3 steps to do something with Windows, its 1 with the Apple. No virus's, no spyware.........none of that crap to deal with. I am an IT guy and still deal with Windows at the office, but at home, its Apple all the way.

Racey
04-24-2007, 08:56 PM
If you really need something rugged the Panasonic Toughbooks are badass, but they will cost you a little extra over a normal laptop though. If not i'd recommend Dell, they just can't be beat for quality and longevity. I've dealt with probably 200 or more dell's over the course of working at an internet company and everything from their servers, to desktops, to notebooks always worked great, never had any trouble with them. I've built dozens of custom computers and my computers now are dells, also my sister's and dad's, they are just so much more cost effective and work excellent.
Core 2 Duo Processor is a must
at least 512mb of ram, but i'd go to 1GB(1024mb) it will save you in long run, the more ram you have the faster the computer runs
80gb hd is what i'd recommend, go bigger if you can afford it, the more space you have the more music and pictures you can put in the thing.

DeltaSigBoater
04-24-2007, 09:03 PM
I understand the need for durability, performance, & battery life.
My 17" MacBook Pro has over 500 minutes of battery life fully charged.
You have the ability to go from OS X to Windows and back on the same computer.
I run large size Photoshop, Illustrator, & Acrobat Pro files at once plus iTunes, and it performs flawlessly.
As far as durability I've taken mine to the lake, but not out in the boat.

riverbound
04-24-2007, 09:04 PM
Not that tough at all. Best thing is to use an external drive to transfer all the stuff from your old system to the drive...then grab it with the new one. If you dont have one, its probably a good idea to buy one anyways to run monthly backups, to protect all those photos and songs. To learn it is a piece of cake. Its much easier than Windows...that was my downfall. I was "overthinking" the Apple...instead of 3 steps to do something with Windows, its 1 with the Apple. No virus's, no spyware.........none of that crap to deal with. I am an IT guy and still deal with Windows at the office, but at home, its Apple all the way.
So, for a mac would this be enough?
http://images.apple.com/macbook/images/index_top20061108.jpg
2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB memory
120GB hard drive1
Double-layer SuperDrive
Ships: Within 24 hours
Free Shipping
$1,499.00

DeltaSigBoater
04-24-2007, 09:09 PM
2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB memory
120GB hard drive1
Double-layer SuperDrive
Free Shipping
$1,499.00
Spend the Extra $$$ and get the MacBook Pro

bigq
04-24-2007, 09:13 PM
http://images.apple.com/macbook/images/index_top20061108.jpg
2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB memory
120GB hard drive1
Double-layer SuperDrive
Free Shipping
$1,499.00
Yes as long as you are not doing hard core editing.
Sounds like a pro might be overkill for you, but if you have the dough.

riverbound
04-24-2007, 09:14 PM
This is the other one I have been looking at.
http://i.dell.com/images/global/products/314x314/xpsnb_m1210.jpg
Sub-total $1,761.00
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5600 (1.83GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium + Belkin Easy Transfer Cable edit
A/V COMMUNICATION PACKAGE None edit
MEMORY 2GB Dual Shared Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms) edit
HARD DRIVE 120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive edit
OPTICAL DRIVE 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive edit
VIDEO CARD Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 edit
SOUND OPTIONS Integrated Audio
BATTERY OPTIONS 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery edit
WIRELESS CARDS Intel PRO/Wireless 3945a/g
PRODUCTIVITY Microsoft® Works Suite 2006 -Includes MS WORD 2002,Encarta 2006 + more edit
Dell Recommends
Upgrade your software!
Upgrade to Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007 - Word, Excel + PowerPoint [add $70 or $2/month1]
ANTI-VIRUS & SECURITY McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 15-months edit
Dell Recommends
Upgrade your software!
Upgrade to McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 36-months [add $20 or $1/month1]

bigq
04-24-2007, 09:14 PM
That's changing, but Apple seems to be on top of the OS updates to fix the holes.

bigq
04-24-2007, 09:17 PM
This is the other one I have been looking at.
http://i.dell.com/images/global/products/314x314/xpsnb_m1210.jpg
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5600 (1.83GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium + Belkin Easy Transfer Cable edit
A/V COMMUNICATION PACKAGE None edit
MEMORY 2GB Dual Shared Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms) edit
HARD DRIVE 120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive edit
OPTICAL DRIVE 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive edit
VIDEO CARD Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 edit
SOUND OPTIONS Integrated Audio
BATTERY OPTIONS 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery edit
WIRELESS CARDS Intel PRO/Wireless 3945a/g
PRODUCTIVITY Microsoft® Works Suite 2006 -Includes MS WORD 2002,Encarta 2006 + more edit
Dell Recommends
Upgrade your software!
Upgrade to Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007 - Word, Excel + PowerPoint [add $70 or $2/month1]
ANTI-VIRUS & SECURITY McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 15-months edit
Dell Recommends
Upgrade your software!
Upgrade to McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 36-months [add $20 or $1/month1]
Get a faster hard drive (7200), it will be worth it. Not a big McAfee fan, but it works.
I would try the Mac though, you might like it.

riverbound
04-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Does the Mac have something similar to Outlook?

Spotondl
04-24-2007, 09:41 PM
Does the Mac have something similar to Outlook?
Mac comes with a comprehensive mail application, address book, and calendar... and the mail app will operate fully with an Exchange server at work...
I am with RaceFace... been a Microsoft IT guy for many years and it is Mac at home...

riverbound
04-24-2007, 09:46 PM
Mac comes with a comprehensive mail application, address book, and calendar... and the mail app will operate fully with an Exchange server at work...
I am with RaceFace... been a Microsoft IT guy for many years and it is Mac at home...
Here are 2 more dumb questions.
1) will it interface with my windows based pocket PC (sync)?
2) will a Mac also work with my Verizon broadband card?

Spotondl
04-24-2007, 09:53 PM
I have not been able to use Activesync on my Mac with my pocket pc... but I have other computers around here for that purpose, so for me, not a big deal...
There is no PCM/CIA slot on the Mac either so I do not know about your Verizon internet...:(

riverbound
04-24-2007, 09:56 PM
I have not been able to use Activesync on my Mac with my pocket pc... but I have other computers around here for that purpose, so for me, not a big deal...
There is no PCM/CIA slot on the Mac either so I do not know about your Verizon internet...:(
The wireless card would be a deal breaker for me :(
Not being able to sync with the pocket PC is not that big of a deal since I am going back to a Blackberry very soon.

bigq
04-24-2007, 10:01 PM
1) Kinda
2) You can use Verizon, but you need the newer Express card not the Type I/II card. Apple has the software on there downloads

HBjet
04-24-2007, 10:01 PM
Toughbooks are the only way to go!
If that is to expensive, I would recommend HP's business laptops.
You can get both of these with an embedded wireless card for all the major carriers.
HBjet

riverbound
04-24-2007, 10:11 PM
Toughbooks are the only way to go!
If that is to expensive, I would recommend HP's business laptops.
You can get both of these with an embedded wireless card for all the major carriers.
HBjet
The toughbook looks a little overkill for what I need. I want something small.

Spotondl
04-24-2007, 10:11 PM
looked at Verizon Wireless and there are a couple of Express wireless cards that are Mac OSx compatible...
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=2407&changingCompletedOrder=

bigq
04-24-2007, 10:14 PM
that change to the Express card has been a pain in my arse:D They started putting out the laptops with it and no cards to work in it.:rolleyes:

riverbound
04-24-2007, 10:21 PM
Here is a Vaio that is similar to the one I have now.
http://www.sonystyle.com/intershoproot/eCS/Store/en/imagesProducts/650x650/C290GS.jpg
Color:
Red Storm
LCD Display:
13.3" WXGA
Wireless Lan:
Integrated Wireless Wide Area Network (WAN)
Processor:
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7200 (2GHz)
Memory:
1 GB DDR-SDRAM (DDR2-533, 512 MBx2)
Hard Drive:
120 GB Hard Disk Drive
Optical Drive:
DVD+-R Double Layer / DVD+-RW Drive
Battery:
Standard Capacity Lithium-ion Battery (BPS2C)
Operating System:
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
Movie Pack:
None Movie Pack
Engraving:
No Engraving
Pre-Installed Office Software:
Microsoft Works 8.5
Other Software:
Norton Internet Security 2007
Photo Software:
Photo Standard
Music Software:
Music Standard
Video Software:
Video Standard
Top of Page
VGN-C290 Graphic Splash Edition
Price as configured:
$1579.98

HBjet
04-25-2007, 12:13 AM
The toughbook looks a little overkill for what I need. I want something small.
Although the Mil Spec Toughbooks are the toughest, I wasn't thinking you would be getting one of those.
Look into the Business Rugged. CF-W5 would be the lightest at 2.9lbs with a 12.1" screen. They do not have the fastest processors like Dell or HP, but you can upgrade the RAM and they come with a 3 year warranty.
If you want one, let me know and I can see what I can sell you one for.
HBjet

cudaz101
04-25-2007, 01:12 AM
For durability IBM ranks pretty high. They also happen to be outstanding Machines.
Acer is a good machine as is Toshiba, HP and many others.
From what you listed among your needs I would steer away from the mac...
Been in IT for several years as well....I would get the XP OS & take the coupon for Vista when its all cleaned up.
Brad

shueman
04-25-2007, 05:54 AM
Yep...go MAC and never look back. Dual Boot so you can run XP/legacy apps, if you have to...:idea:

beever_retreever
04-25-2007, 06:14 AM
$598 - Dell Inspiron 6400 1.73 Dual Core, 15.4" WXGA, 1GB DDR2, 80GB HD, 8X DLDVD +/- RW, Radeon X1400 256MB
http://tinyurl.com/2ydtgf
If your budget knows no bounds and you want a true indoor/outdoor solution, consider the fully ruggedized, small form factor Panasonic Toughbook CF-19, or the full size semi ruggedized CF-74. Dell is also coming out with a semi ruggedized laptop based off the Latitude D620 series. It's called the Dell ATG(all terrain gear) D620.

RaceFace
04-25-2007, 06:24 AM
Not being able to sync with the pocket PC is not that big of a deal since I am going back to a Blackberry very soon.
My buddy has a Mac and he "plugs" it into his cell phone and gets internet that way. He has some plan with Cingular that works on the billing side. He emails and IM's me from Glamis.
http://www.macconnection.com/ProductDetail?Sku=7022106
Here's what I paid for mine. This one also comes with free Parallels which is a Virtual Machine that enables you to run Windows XP Pro on it also. I run Parallels and XP on mine for support at the office. As far as email programs, you can use the standard mail program that comes with the Apple. If you end up purchasing Microsoft Office, it has Entourage...which is similar to Outlook. I think you will really dig the Apple.

adjones419
04-25-2007, 06:27 AM
I have a Dell Inspiron that is going on 5 years old and has been a real workhorse with no problems whatsoever. Don't know much about Macs because I'm a Geospatial Analyst and all we run are Dell PC's for ArcGIS. We do a lot of spatial/statistical analysis, querying, etc. with tens of thousands of records and the Dells work great. I'm sold on Dell, but not on Windows Vista. I'm going to buy a new notebook in a few months, and it will either be a Dell XPS or Sony Vaio.

RaceFace
04-25-2007, 06:32 AM
I have a Dell Inspiron that is going on 5 years old and has been a real workhorse with no problems whatsoever. Don't know much about Macs because I'm a Geospatial Analyst and all we run are Dell PC's for ArcGIS. We do a lot of spatial/statistical analysis, querying, etc. with tens of thousands of records and the Dells work great. I'm sold on Dell, but not on Windows Vista. I'm going to buy a new notebook in a few months, and it will either be a Dell XPS or Sony Vaio.
Before I went Mac, I had a VAIO.....smokin systems!! Before that I had a Dell and I have my company on Dells. They are great systems also....its Vista that has issues.

Spotondl
04-25-2007, 08:17 AM
Before I went Mac, I had a VAIO.....smokin systems!! Before that I had a Dell and I have my company on Dells. They are great systems also....its Vista that has issues.
Microsoft has the issues... I am on my first Mac which was a HUGE step for me, LOL. PC guy all the way, and I have to admit that this is the best computer I have had from a user standpoint.
I have yet to encounter any spyware or virus issues... Am I running Spybot, Adaware, McAfee? NOPE! Don't need to... that is worth major $$$ simply in time and convenience...

Havasu_Dreamin
04-25-2007, 08:23 AM
Macs are not immune to viruses or spyware.....

RaceFace
04-25-2007, 08:30 AM
Macs are not immune to viruses or spyware.....
No they are not...BUT a Mac ALWAYS asks for an admin password when ANYTHING is installed. If it prompts you, and you aren't installing something AND you type in your password, well, you get what you deserve. :eek:

bigq
04-25-2007, 08:43 AM
Get the Blackberry through Verizon and you can use the Blackberry as a teather through USB. The only draw back is you can not talk and be on the Internet at the same time to my knowledge.

BoatBitch4Hire
04-25-2007, 08:44 AM
Have a Vaio and highly recomend them. Accomplishes all I need it too and I can watch DVD's on it as well. I can work and play with it....
Great Computer.

HBjet
04-25-2007, 10:03 AM
My buddy has a Mac and he "plugs" it into his cell phone and gets internet that way. He has some plan with Cingular that works on the billing side.
You don't need a MAC to do that. My brother travels all the time and does the same thing with his Razr and HP.
HBjet

RaceFace
04-25-2007, 10:15 AM
You don't need a MAC to do that. My brother travels all the time and does the same thing with his Razr and HP.
HBjet
Hey HB, I know it can be done on any computer, I was just using that as an example since Macs dont have a PCMCIA port and he had asked about a cellular card working on a Mac. ;)

HBjet
04-25-2007, 10:16 AM
If your budget knows no bounds and you want a true indoor/outdoor solution, consider the fully ruggedized, small form factor Panasonic Toughbook CF-19, or the full size semi ruggedized CF-74. Dell is also coming out with a semi ruggedized laptop based off the Latitude D620 series.
I have a couple of CF-19's in my office with embedded aircards and GPS and they are sick. The only downside to these fully ruggedized toughbooks is they do not have a built in CD/DVD drive, only external. That will be a hassle for a business person. CF-W5 is the best busniess laptop in my opinion. Stronger then anything else out there, and lighter. They lack in computing power for some personal users if they are heavy users with games, itunes, digital photos, etc..., but if they are used for business, they are perfect.
I have posted this before, but a lot of people do not realize that even though there are a lot of different laptop companies (Dell, HP, Acer, Toshiba, etc) out there, most of them are made by just a few different mfg's such as Quanta. So you can't really compare how one is built over another when they are built by the same people.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Computers.jpg
HBjet

HBjet
04-25-2007, 10:18 AM
Hey HB, I know it can be done on any computer, I was just using that as an example since Macs dont have a PCMCIA port and he had asked about a cellular card working on a Mac. ;)
Roger that!
I do also have to say that our VP of Engineering uses a MAC and he has been in the computer biz for 30 years. The rest of the company has Toughbooks or HP's
HBjet

RiverDave
04-25-2007, 10:19 AM
I'm looking for a new laptop. And to be honest I have no idea what Im looking at so hopefully some of you can help me out.
I have been looking at computers on line and now I am more confused than when I started.
Here is what I use it for.
Emails 200-300 a day
Pictures, I have TONS of pics on my current computer
Music about 10 gig on my Itunes
Internet, obviously ;)
Good battery life (watching movies on the plane and using it in the stores when plugs arent abvailable)
And a lot of the time I am running these at the same time.
I was looking at the Dell XPS laptops but I get confused when it comes to processors, Ram, etc.... I went to Circuit Shitty to ask for some help and the guy knew less than I did.
Billdo, I don't know alot about computers but everyone at my office recomended the HP Pavillion. I went down at got the fully loaded deal and honestly I coudn't be happier. For all the flying you do this thing makes a pretty good deal to watch movies on etc.. as well. :)
RD

riverbound
04-25-2007, 10:27 AM
Billdo, I don't know alot about computers but everyone at my office recomended the HP Pavillion. I went down at got the fully loaded deal and honestly I coudn't be happier. For all the flying you do this thing makes a pretty good deal to watch movies on etc.. as well. :)
RD
I was looking at the HP yesterday with the swiveling screen. I liked the size and everythiing. but the guy tried talking me out of it, saying the Sony was better......of course they had tons of Sony's and only one of the HPs ;) and I know how electronice salesmen could be :idea:

RiverDave
04-25-2007, 10:29 AM
I dunno about the swiveling screen dealio.. I bought mine 2 - 3 months ago so it's probably obsolete by now.. :D
The wireless card in it kicks ass though.. Picks up signals from everywhere. Big screen that's easy on the eyes, movie controls on deck (above the keyboard) + a remote control that slides out if your in a hotel room, and this thing is lightening fast compared to my old turtle. Has no problems running seriously graphics intensive programs either (Solidworks, movie editing etc..)
RD

HBjet
04-25-2007, 11:20 AM
Don't listen to the sales people at the store (Best Buy, Fry's, etc)
I have an HP too and this thing is fast. Bought it in August and I have had no major problems. 2 issues though. The Shift key sticks sometimes (common problem on some HP's when I bought mine) and the touch mouse pad on my model has worn out quicker then I thought.. that is the color of the touch pad. It works fine.
HBjet