PDA

View Full Version : Hauler Question

HONDOG
04-25-2007, 12:43 AM
Hey everyone, I hope someone out there can help me out with some info. I have a '95 Chevy Dually with a 454. When I take off for the lake I am pulling a 30' fifthwheel with my boat behind. The old Chevy struggles! It's not that it's worn out, it only has 55,000 miles! (Obviously I don't drive it much) I have been thinking about one of the B&M/Wieand 177's to wake her up a bit. Problem is, I don't know anyone who has run one on a hauler. I would appreciate any info on how they work on this type of deal.
I would really like to make an occaisional run over to Morg and FIat's neck of the woods but 20 miles an hour for a couple of hours, and 4 miles to the gallon, to get over the pass is a little discouraging.
PS: I know a new turbo deisel is the correct answer but I am not prepared for an $800 a month for 6 years payment right now.
Thanks for any help you can offer. Bob

YeLLowBoaT
04-25-2007, 12:52 AM
You might want to look into upgrading the fuel system and exhuast a little bit. A gear swap/ spliter would also be helpful. Puting a blower on a car in CA, is a pita when it comes to smog.

Jay Bird
04-25-2007, 08:25 PM
You really should go for a diesel, but you don't have to go new. You have a 95, so maybe something around a 2000 or so. My 2000 Ford has 110K and is just now broken in. It tows like a beast, but the Cummins tows even better. The best part is that you can boost a diesel without worrying about the smog BS. My Superduty is still really mild, but I can smoke the tires in the hot programs (I only did it once, but it sure was fun).

RiverGames
04-25-2007, 09:06 PM
Whatever you end up doing, stick with the CHEVY!:D

HONDOG
04-26-2007, 01:27 AM
Whatever you end up doing, stick with the CHEVY!:D
I hear you RiverGames, everything I hear tells me I would probably want the Duramax if I were to go diesel.(and I will as soon as I can afford the payments) Unfortunately I just bought wifey a new SUV so I am SOL for a few years on the new truck idea.

RiverGames
04-26-2007, 09:47 AM
I hear you RiverGames, everything I hear tells me I would probably want the Duramax if I were to go diesel.(and I will as soon as I can afford the payments) Unfortunately I just bought wifey a new SUV so I am SOL for a few years on the new truck idea.
Is your 30' fifth wheel made out of aluminum?

HONDOG
04-28-2007, 12:09 AM
Is your 30' fifth wheel made out of aluminum?
Don't know for sure, bought it used. But I do know the ID tag says 12,000# gross and that is the tow rating for my truck. In all reallity I can get by as I am, it's just hard for an old HP freak like me to get passed by everything on the road.

jrork
04-28-2007, 06:49 AM
What gears have you got in that truck? I had a CC dually with a 454 that I drug a similar trailer to you all over the West (even over a 10,000' pass in Wyoming) and didnt have any problems other that keeping gas in it. Never had an ounce of trouble with it keeping up with others. Agree with the others, open up the air and throw some exhaust on it. If you want, throw a USgear Over/Underdrive in it so you have some more gear. A ton cheaper that buying another truck.
For the record, I did sell mine though and went with a Cummins Dodge....holy crap what a pulling beast...

Sangerboy
04-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Hondog, great suggestions so far, let the thing pump some air, intake and exhaust and numerically increase your gear ratio will definately help in pulling that much weight. ( Although changing the gear ratio will lower your mileage even further). The only thing I would check is weigh your entire package and make sure it is not over the GCVW(Gross Combined
Vehicle Weight) rating of your truck. If it is, God forbid that you are in an accident that causes damages/injuries and you are held liable. ( An obviously smaller possibility, given your stated rate of travel) If your insurance company determines that you were beyond the factory specified weight ratings, they have the option( which they will take) of denying any coverage, thus leaving you bare and personally completely responsible for the costs involved. This can be astronomical if substantial medical costs are involved, and believe me the injured parties will have plenty of good attorneys to choose from to help relieve you of everything you've worked to build. This is just a word to the wise, I hope no one ever has to experience it. It is way too much risk for me, Bottom line, be aware of what your vehicles stated weight ratings are and know how much weight you are pushing down the road.

HONDOG
05-02-2007, 11:49 PM
I appreciate all of the responses I got. I think I am over my temporary insanity and I will be ordering a 4.88 ring and pinion for the truck as a start. Then cold air and exhaust.
Thanks again to all of you who replied.
Bob