PDA

View Full Version : Now what?

Sportin' Wood
04-25-2007, 08:05 AM
Well, after months of consideration and weeks of negotiations I am cleaning out my office this morning. I will be selling my shares of the company I founded with my partner 9 years ago over the coming months, and for lack of a better word retiring. Nine years of 12-14 hours a day and the time I have lost away from my family have finally taken its toll. Couple that with a changing economy and smaller Profit margins with increased liability from wrap insurance policies the cost benefit just was not there for me. With that my partner was excited to obtain the majority stock in the company and allow me to pursue other ventures. ItÂ’s a little sad to leave some thing you built from the ground up and to say goodbye to all the employees that help build this company but I am excited as hell to get away from this place and focus on the next chapter of my life.
So what would you do with the rest of your life? In the morning IÂ’m gonna get up and ride my motorcycle to Laughlin and party like thereÂ’s no tomorrow! Maybe IÂ’ll take a few lessons from DILLIGAF about chosing breakfast, boating, Harley rides and Drunk posting.:D
BTW IÂ’m far too young to really retire so I will have to go back to income producing status at some point! ;) I wonder if I can swing some unemployment?:idea:

Jordy
04-25-2007, 08:07 AM
Quitter. :notam:
Congrats though!!! :D :D :D

adjones419
04-25-2007, 08:12 AM
Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.
Have fun and enjoy the time off!

All-Star
04-25-2007, 08:12 AM
I do not think you would qualify for unemployment being that you were an owner.
But good luck in the next chapter of your life... I hope that is is exciting for you.

BarryMac
04-25-2007, 08:14 AM
Play Golf, Drink Beer and enjoy being unemployed for a little while...
Congrats brother, hope that the next chapter of your life is exciting and filled with fun...

ChumpChange
04-25-2007, 08:15 AM
I do not think you would qualify for unemployment being that you were an owner.
Yeah. Have him hire you as an hourly for a few months and then file for it. :D

2Driver
04-25-2007, 08:28 AM
I'm 47 and retired 3 years ago. Quite honestly I have a list of more things to experience and see ( besides HB of course :D ) then I can get done in a life time. Yesterday I was dirt bike riding with my son, not bad for a Wednesday. I have more friends, more money, and a hell of a better attitude then I did 3 years ago.
Now go start on the trophy truck for your kid :D

HighRoller
04-25-2007, 08:32 AM
All you have to do is ask yourself what you would do for a living if you didn't need a paycheck. (i.e. dream job) Obviously you're smart enough to do a startup so whatever that is I'm sure you could find a way to make it profitable. It's a proven fact that those who do what they love for a living are more prosperous, profitable and happy than those who choose their careers based on the number of dollar signs attached to it.
Based on that, feel happy you walked away. Being miserable in the long term just to make a lot of money is like selling your soul because it all goes away when you die anyways. I'd rather be a little less wealthy and happy rather than being one of those miserable old filthy rich fukks we all know or are related to.

Sportin' Wood
04-25-2007, 08:37 AM
Quitter. :notam:
Congrats though!!! :D :D :D
Fawk your quick!:D

Sportin' Wood
04-25-2007, 08:41 AM
I'm a bit of a spaz, I bet I don't last a week without getting into something. Last week I learned how to paint my motorcycle next week I'm gonna tackle the house and all those honey do's I have been putting off for 10 years.;)

Jordy
04-25-2007, 08:51 AM
In all seriousness though, my cousin sold his biz, stayed on for a bit to help get the new owners situated and then finally quit a few months ago. He signed a 2 year non-compete so he's just going to take some time off, spend time with his family, golf, travel, relax, and then when the non-compete ends, start a new company doing the same thing again. Not a bad way to do things!!! :D :D :D

DILLIGAF
04-25-2007, 08:55 AM
Well, after months of consideration and weeks of negotiations I am cleaning out my office this morning. I will be selling my shares of the company I founded with my partner 9 years ago over the coming months, and for lack of a better word retiring. Nine years of 12-14 hours a day and the time I have lost away from my family have finally taken its toll. Couple that with a changing economy and smaller Profit margins with increased liability from wrap insurance policies the cost benefit just was not there for me. With that my partner was excited to obtain the majority stock in the company and allow me to pursue other ventures. ItÂ’s a little sad to leave some thing you built from the ground up and to say goodbye to all the employees that help build this company but I am excited as hell to get away from this place and focus on the next chapter of my life.
So what would you do with the rest of your life? In the morning IÂ’m gonna get up and ride my motorcycle to Laughlin and party like thereÂ’s no tomorrow! Maybe IÂ’ll take a few lessons from DILLIGAF about chosing breakfast, boating, Harley rides and Drunk posting.:D
BTW IÂ’m far too young to really retire so I will have to go back to income producing status at some point! ;) I wonder if I can swing some unemployment?:idea:
We can sit down this weekend, have a few drinks and laugh at the moon Jeff :)
Congrats!

Kilrtoy
04-25-2007, 08:56 AM
Best of luck, that is a tuff thing to do....

Mandelon
04-25-2007, 10:03 AM
NIce, you make me jealous.
Go get a nice commisioned sales job for your competitors and underbid the guy by $17.00 on all the projects. Get your check and don't worry about having to make payroll. :D

Ziggy
04-25-2007, 10:11 AM
Congrats Jeff.... :)

76ANTHONY
04-25-2007, 10:36 AM
awwww the life of a true baller, whats it like???:D
congrats bro, and im sure you'll find sumthin ta do:D :D

Sportin' Wood
04-25-2007, 08:22 PM
No baller here'
Mandy I might need to get in good with ya on the repos up in my neck off the woods.:D
Thanks for all the kind words. I think Kenny Rogers said it best, "Ya gotta know when to hold em' and know when to fold em. ;)

RiverToysJas
04-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Good for you, that's something to be proud of for sure!!!!
If you're cruising past NMP this weekend, stop in and say hello. I can't tell you what to do with your life, but I can mix drinks all night. LOL.
RTJas :D

Ivan Dan
04-26-2007, 02:19 PM
Congrats Jeff!!!! Now the PM you sent me last week makes A LOT more sense. :D Looking forward to hangin with you one of these days over a few beers and bench racing.

YeLLowBoaT
04-26-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm a bit of a spaz, I bet I don't last a week without getting into something. Last week I learned how to paint my motorcycle next week I'm gonna tackle the house and all those honey do's I have been putting off for 10 years.;)
If you have any Qs about any of that stuff shoot me a PM, I'll be more then happy to talk to you about them... I should be able to save you time/ money and effort.

boatsnblondes
04-26-2007, 02:27 PM
Congrats Jeff.....I'm contemplating doing the same thing soon....hope all goes well...enjoy the honeydo's..they ain't that bad....:D :D :D

Mandelon
04-26-2007, 06:36 PM
No baller here'
Mandy I might need to get in good with ya on the repos up in my neck off the woods.:D
Thanks for all the kind words. I think Kenny Rogers said it best, "Ya gotta know when to hold em' and know when to fold em. ;)
I can hook you up with instant customers. If ya got two or four guys who are handy......and license and insurance I can get ya started anytime.
It takes a couple weeks from estimate to job, but they are up there aplenty.

wsuwrhr
04-26-2007, 06:46 PM
Are you interested in running some Trident parts?
I could use help from time to time.
haha
Brian
No baller here'