PDA

View Full Version : Garage floor coatings

prosthogod
04-25-2007, 01:03 PM
I'm looking for someone in havasu. I've been given a quote for ~2.50-3.00 per foot. i have ~1189 sgft of brand new garage floor. Anybody do this , know someone , etc. for less, i'm thinking ~1.50 per foot.

Havasu Daytona
04-25-2007, 01:09 PM
Go to Home Depot and buy the kit. For your amout of floor space, you will need at least three kits at $60.00 a kit. Do it yourself and save. It may take you a full weekend, but the stuff looks and works great.

Miss Perfect
04-25-2007, 01:23 PM
I'm looking for someone in havasu. I've been given a quote for ~2.50-3.00 per foot. i have ~1189 sgft of brand new garage floor. Anybody do this , know someone , etc. for less, i'm thinking ~1.50 per foot.
I work for a company that does garage floor coatings and even 2.50-3 is cheaper then what we would charge. Although we always diamond grind a floor before we'll coat it. It's all in the prep work. I cannot imagine a licensed contractor using quality products being able to do it for 1.50 a foot. And I highly recommend that you do not try to use Home Depot products..... you get what you pay for.

prosthogod
04-25-2007, 01:24 PM
Ya, i'm thinking that is the way to go. I used the "u coat it" system the last time and even priming it with new concrete it bubbled.

Kiddunot
04-25-2007, 01:29 PM
so basically you guys are saying even trying the do it yourself will look crap but if you pay and have some professionally do it then it will turn out much nicer? hmmmmm I will go the professional route, i would be bummed to try it myself and create more of a headache than doing it the right way.

YeLLowBoaT
04-25-2007, 01:35 PM
the stuff at home depot sucks... if you really want to do it yourself, go to a paint store and get the real stuff.( and talk with some one that actaully knows what they are doing... which can be hard to find)
Just a FYI, the "decent" products out there start at about a buck a foot just for the product, the better stuff is over 1.50 with alot closer to 2.50 a foot.
I start at about 4/ft for decent product and none grinding prep. having it be 6-10/ ft is not that all un common. I get atleast 1 call a week about garage coatings. if you have raident heat, your just wasting your money.
edit
one more thing, if you don't have a good vapor barrier between your slab and the ground, it does not matter what product you get or who applys it... it will not last.

prosthogod
04-25-2007, 01:46 PM
6-10$/ ft. you have got to be crazy. i could put cheap carpet in for that much and replace it every few yrs. That's just stupid.

Miss Perfect
04-25-2007, 01:51 PM
6-10$/ ft. you have got to be crazy. i could put cheap carpet in for that much and replace it every few yrs. That's just stupid.
We're usually in the lower end of that range too, depending on what is needed.

YeLLowBoaT
04-25-2007, 01:53 PM
well when you start to deal with some products and having to grinding a fresh surface, it gets up there fast...
The last hanger I did that was ~ 40 x 60 the materail costs alone were just over 13k. ( thats like 5.50 a foot and I got that product at cost... its nice having a relative that is the head of a coatings divsion for a major chem company)

USCFAN
04-25-2007, 01:54 PM
I have had both products, the Home Depot and the professional product. Let me tell you the professional stuff last much longer and looks a lot better. It was a little more pricey but like someone here already stated, you get what you pay for....

Baja Big Dog
04-25-2007, 10:01 PM
Id like to get my buddy on here, he has probably 4 grand in his garage floor, first the Depot crap that bubbled and chipped in three months, then had to pay to have the old crap removed and the surface prepped for the good stuff.
Moral of the story, pay the pro's the first time.

H2O
04-26-2007, 07:41 AM
I looked into this too, and decided on another way to go. It has a completely different set of pro's and con's, but works well for some of us.
Modular garage floor tile - $1.79 per foot, you install, doesn't peel up, cracks don't show through, lots of color and pattern choices, and you can take it with you when you move!
http://cgi.ebay.com/MODULAR-GARAGE-FLOOR-TILE-COIN-PATTERN-FREE-SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ230121584305QQihZ013QQcategoryZ2 0604QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
FWIW - No affilation. Don't know if this is the best deal out there, but there are plenty of other choices on Flea Bay.