PDA

View Full Version : Buying a boat, need help

jxr02
04-25-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm buying a previously owned boat through a broker, and want to know what to expect.
For instance, do brokers typically charge sales tax, and if so based on their local or mine?
Should I see any other fees associated with the sale like doc prep, etc?
Has anyone had a marine survey appraisal done, and if so how much should it cost? I'm financing and the bank requires it, but doesn't pay for it.
You know, the last boat I bought was a check written to a good 'ol boy and a handshake. This is a whole nother gig. Any help would be appreciated

Phat Matt
04-25-2007, 04:34 PM
Sales tax laws varies from state to state on used boats.
Shouldn't be any doc fees other than what you pay for your registration and title transfer.
Don't know the cost of a marine survey.
Good luck.

Magic34
04-25-2007, 04:35 PM
I just bought a boat through a broker. The deal is done as a private sale and the seller is to pay the broker any fees that they had agreed to. You have nothing to do with that whatsoever.
Some banks have loan fees, but nothing more than $300 at the most. If they are trying to charge you over $300, you are getting the shaft.
I just got a loan for 6.5% and has $236 in loan fees. The first time I have ever had them, but it was a great rate, so I was OK with it.
If your state does not charge tax on private sales, then you are OK, but make sure your Bill of Sale is between you and the seller, not the broker. The broker may want the money deposited in a trust account and he may give funds to the seller. This way the broker is guaranteed to get their funds for the sale.
Ask for them to split the survey cost with you. If they really want to sell the boat, it wont be a problem.
Remember, a Bill of Sale between you and the seller, not the broker and tax should not be an issue if your tax laws state that private sales are not taxed.

jxr02
04-25-2007, 04:39 PM
I just bought a boat through a broker. The deal is done as a private sale and the seller is to pay the broker any fees that they had agreed to. You have nothing to do with that whatsoever.
Some banks have loan fees, but nothing more than $300 at the most. If they are trying to charge you over $300, you are getting the shaft.
I just got a loan for 6.5% and has $236 in loan fees. The first time I have ever had them, but it was a great rate, so I was OK with it.
If your state does not charge tax on private sales, then you are OK, but make sure your Bill of Sale is between you and the seller, not the broker. The broker may want the money deposited in a trust account and he may give funds to the seller. This way the broker is guaranteed to get their funds for the sale.
Ask for them to split the survey cost with you. If they really want to sell the boat, it wont be a problem.
Remember, a Bill of Sale between you and the seller, not the broker and tax should not be an issue if your tax laws state that private sales are not taxed.
Thanks, good advice on the private sale. Who underwrote your loan? I'm seeing rates around 7-7.5% right now.