PDA

View Full Version : Here's a cituation...

BigDoug
04-25-2007, 07:45 PM
Tell me if im wrong or right please...................................When Richelle and i detail a customers boat for the first time that i don't know and they say "you didn't do the engine bay area" i tell them "it's a liability issue !! if i pull a wire off accidently and touch something i shouldn't ... then something happens out on the water with a motor issue, i will be the first to blame and have before".
Most customers don't want me in the engine area which is fine with me cause they would rather clean it themselves.
I do clean motors when asked after iv'e established a friendship and long term business relationship and we understand each other !!
Do you feel im wrong for doing this as a protocol, or do you expect a detailer to clean the engine bay.?
Iv'e been yelled at in the past for doing it and yelled at for not doing it, sometimes i can't win regardless !!...............................Doug :D

NOTALENT
04-25-2007, 07:48 PM
I think your doing the right thing for both parties. If it was discussed before hand than I would say do it. Isnt there some type of waiver you can create to not hold you responsible?

Summer LuvN
04-25-2007, 07:48 PM
Tell me if im wrong or right please...................................When Richelle and i detail a customers boat for the first time that i don't know and they say "you didn't do the engine bay area" i tell them "it's a liability issue !! if i pull a wire off accidently and touch something i shouldn't ... then something happens out on the water with a motor issue, i will be the first to blame and have before".
Most customers don't want me in the engine area which is fine with me cause they would rather clean it themselves.
I do clean motors when asked after iv'e established a friendship and long term business relationship and we understand each other !!
Do you feel im wrong for doing this as a protocol, or do you expect a detailer to clean the engine bay.?
Iv'e been yelled at in the past for doing it and yelled at for not doing it, sometimes i can't win regardless !!...............................Doug :D
I think you would just need to communicate with the client prior to the work being done. If everyone is on the same page less chance for yelling...

Fire Angler
04-25-2007, 07:52 PM
SOCALDETAIL1 always cleans the engine area!!
j/k LOL :D

RaceFace
04-25-2007, 07:52 PM
Well Doug, I wouldn't expect you to clean the engine compartment....unless I opened it and asked you to clean specific areas (storage on the side of the motor). I also think I know enough about my motors that if something became "unplugged", I can figure it out and fix it. Its one of those "s**t happens" things. You're in a tough position. If I were you, I would ask the customer and have the customer open the hatch and ask exactly what they expect. Just my .02ยข.

BigDoug
04-25-2007, 08:01 PM
I hear what both of you are saying.....................i came highly recommended to this customer, we got all his info and took care of the job !! he didn't ask questions, just wanted it done for the poker run...... it happened today on one of the big poker boats in Havasu .......................i can only imagine the bilge full of oil and i have to clean it, all the while twisting and turning in a small confined area i pull off a sensor wire to something and he can't fire up his boat for the poker run.......................it'll be my ass !!
I just try to please all my customers is all !! :D

duner21
04-25-2007, 08:03 PM
If they want it done make them sign a waiver. At least you are up front about it and cover yourself. Also it was cool meeting you last weekend at the mobil station!

OCMerrill
04-25-2007, 08:04 PM
I think your right on. I have a company detail our Yukon every three months. He will not touch the engine compartment unless I sign a waiver.
Seems he was sued over a car (I know not a boat issue but still the same type deal) that quit in an intersection, another car came through on a green and plugged them. They sued the detailer. He won but was out legal fees and it just tore him up.
I say stick to your standards. It's what and how you built your business anyway. Right?

OutCole'd
04-25-2007, 08:06 PM
Plus, what would happen if you were trying to get in the bilge to really clean it out & got stuck?? Who would pay for the fire department to come pull you out?:D
Honestly, I would think it's always best to communicate before the detail is done as to the scope of the job, what you include & what you don't and why. I am very pleased with the job you did on my boat Doug and will recommend you highly in the furture.

Fire Angler
04-25-2007, 08:06 PM
BigDoug,
I think your doing the right thing. The liability is a HUGE thing not to mention someone blaming you for the boat not operating properly. I myself would have any "New" customer sign a waiver and specify exactly what he wants done.
AL

rocket98
04-25-2007, 08:09 PM
I hope they pay you a great deal of money. Why do you have to worry about this. I forgot I'm over thirty. we played kick the can at night and no one got sued

Troy McClure
04-25-2007, 08:11 PM
Doug, you've cleaned my boat while it was at Absolute getting serviced. When I got it back and tried to run the stereo while I was loading it up for the day, nothing worked. Found out while the Mech was in the engine bay he stepped on the battery cable and pulled it out of the clamp/eye bolt (whatever that thing is called, I can't recall the name now) Visually wouldn't have noticed except for no power. Would have sucked if I was on the ramp.
Knew it wasn't your fault (as my engine bay wasn't detailed . :) ) but just less liability on you;re part. Sooo. i wouldn't expect it unless I asked for it.

RaceFace
04-25-2007, 08:13 PM
I hear what both of you are saying.....................i came highly recommended to this customer, we got all his info and took care of the job !! he didn't ask questions, just wanted it done for the poker run...... it happened today on one of the big poker boats in Havasu .......................i can only imagine the bilge full of oil and i have to clean it, all the while twisting and turning in a small confined area i pull off a sensor wire to something and he can't fire up his boat for the poker run.......................it'll be my ass !!
I just try to please all my customers is all !! :D
I think these guys are right...a waiver is a damn good idea.

BigDoug
04-25-2007, 08:27 PM
Thanks guys !!...................this makes me feel better !!
It's always a pleasure doing most of your boats here on h/b and the friendships iv'e made is priceless. :D
NO MORE ENGINE BAYS !!..............I unplug stereo's now :D

Psycho Squid
04-25-2007, 08:54 PM
It's always a pleasure doing most of your boats here on h/b and the friendships iv'e made is priceless. :D
NO MORE ENGINE BAYS !!..............I unplug stereo's now :DNo more engine bays? technically my motor is out of the boat.........:D It's Ok poo.........I'll just go now..........nobody wants to clean my shit anyway.....:)

dicudmore
04-25-2007, 09:01 PM
No more engine bays? technically my motor is out of the boat.........:D It's Ok poo.........I'll just go now..........nobody wants to clean my shit anyway.....:)
you and the Mrs seem to do a fine job keeping that thing clean as it is :D

dicudmore
04-25-2007, 09:02 PM
there's two-stroke oil in my bilge--hopefully you'll take care of that while you're in there :D

EAZYKILLER2006
04-25-2007, 09:05 PM
situation? interesting...

BigDoug
04-25-2007, 09:09 PM
Iv'e been drinking to much Jack tonight :D ...................sorry !! excuse my spelling please !! :D

riverbound
04-25-2007, 09:09 PM
This brings me back to the first time I had you do my boat for me. I pulled the boat out of storage and I noticed a couple places where you missed and when I talked to you later I brought these concerns up when you asked what I thought. You explained to me that due to the fact that I was a new customer, you didnt feel comfortable pulling my boat out of storage (due to how tight the storage door is) and you being concerned about damaging my boat on the first detail. After seeing your side and your obvious care for my boat and making a repeat customer I completely understood. and in fact after seeing that you truly did care for my property I felt COMPLETELY secure with you being the one to do my boat for me.
If anyone were to detail my boat it would without a doubt be you Doug, I have been VERY pleased with the owrk you have done thus far.
PS...you never cleaned my engine compartment either ;)

slowinhavasu
04-25-2007, 09:10 PM
Your just to freekin big to be in any engine area...........stick to the outside slim....lol:D

boatnam2
04-25-2007, 09:12 PM
dont do my engine doug but hit the engine hatch mirrors please:D

BigDoug
04-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Bill, i appreciate your kind words.........................thank you !! :D

BigDoug
04-25-2007, 09:15 PM
Carey, you don't have to remind me that im phat (fat) or should i say athletically plump !! :D

riverbound
04-25-2007, 09:16 PM
Bill, i appreciate your kind words.........................thank you !! :D
You are welcome.
Oh yah...and after discussing my concerns/expectations with Doug he went back and covered all the areas we discussed. He is definitely the type to make sure a customer is happy.

INSman
04-25-2007, 09:18 PM
I better go check all my wires and sheat, maybe that is why my boat seems to be going slower these days !! :eek: :D
If someone insists on the engine bay cleaning and you really want to do it and get paid accordingly, i would absolutely ask them to kindly sign a waiver.
Must have been some pretty big guys with big stones to be yelling at you. I think I would only try that trick if I was REALLY drunk, I can run really fast :D

tntperformance
04-25-2007, 09:21 PM
You really should talk to me more!:)
I will give you a hint,,,, D D D !
If you don't know pm me. I will help you out on this issue.
1 more hint (Blue buggie)
or 2.... Topock runs.:D

dicudmore
04-25-2007, 09:25 PM
You really should talk to me more!:)
I will give you a hint,,,, D D D !
If you don't know pm me. I will help you out on this issue.
1 more hint (Blue buggie)
or 2.... Topock runs.:D
what is the prize for knowing your identity?? :D

BigDoug
04-25-2007, 09:26 PM
Blane, sometimes you crack me up :D most other times i say "what the hell" :D

BigDoug
04-25-2007, 09:28 PM
TNT..........would your name be Todd or something like that ?

dicudmore
04-25-2007, 09:35 PM
yes, and no :wink:

INSman
04-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Blane, sometimes you crack me up :D most other times i say "what the hell" :D
I only exist on this planet to entertain others, just doin' my job ;)
Friday night cocktail or so at mi casa ?!? :idea:

BigDoug
04-25-2007, 09:43 PM
Cool Blane, call me when you get in, iv'e been averaging 3 poker boats a day this week and juggleing some of ya all too !! and im dog tired right now !!!!!! :D

lalhc
04-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Two things - first, as a customer, I would ask exactly what I am paying you for. Second, it should be your responsibility to set the proper expectations with your clients. I know most detailers say that they clean everything on the boat for $X amount per foot. A customer can misconstrue that by believing you are detailing EVERYTHING.

tntperformance
04-25-2007, 09:46 PM
No cheating focker!:D

dicudmore
04-25-2007, 09:47 PM
No cheating focker!:D
ok, ok :D

tntperformance
I would say the weather is getting pretty warm!:)

INSman
Cool Blane, call me when you get in, iv'e been averaging 3 poker boats a day this week and juggleing some of ya all too !! and im dog tired right now !!!!!! :D
I am not rolling in until 5:30 or so, dropping the girls off then attending an event meeting at 7:00 I believe. We will figure something out. I can only imagine it being a busy weekend for you, but hopefully you will pull down some good coin for the effort. ;)

tntperformance
04-25-2007, 09:48 PM
ok, ok :D
What the hell are you doin dude??

dicudmore
04-25-2007, 09:51 PM
What the hell are you doin dude??
cruising down tomorrow to get a head start on the weekend :D lost my seat for the poker run, so taking the 30' out to just hang out :D

tntperformance
04-25-2007, 10:00 PM
cruising down tomorrow to get a head start on the weekend :D lost my seat for the poker run, so taking the 30' out to just hang out :D
I will be in front of the rest rooms in the channel at 7:30 am on sat. morning, after they run through the channel i'm heading down just past steamboat on the right side(CA>) side.
1 other deck boat and prolly a 21 open bow will be there.If you want come say hi... or not!!
You know the boat!:D

djunkie
04-25-2007, 10:04 PM
Probably a night in jail or something. :D :D

tntperformance
04-25-2007, 10:08 PM
Probably a night in jail or something. :D :D
I'll give you the or something prize sunshine! lol:D

dicudmore
04-25-2007, 10:10 PM
I will be in front of the rest rooms in the channel at 7:30 am on sat. morning, after they run through the channel i'm heading down just past steamboat on the right side(CA>) side.
1 other deck boat and prolly a 21 open bow will be there.If you want come say hi... or not!!
You know the boat!:D
I should be somewhere around Black Meadow--either rolling my boat or my friends fast-cat w/outboard...will keep an eye out for ya :D

a catered life
04-25-2007, 11:16 PM
I think you would just need to communicate with the client prior to the work being done. If everyone is on the same page less chance for yelling...
i agree you should at least ask them if they want that service then explain exacatly what you will be doing in there:D

buzzaro
04-25-2007, 11:38 PM
Just mention it before the job, then theres no confusion.

OGShocker
04-26-2007, 05:04 AM
Doug,
You are doing the right thing and doing it well. Keep up the good work!
I better go check all my wires and sheat, maybe that is why my boat seems to be going slower these days !! :eek: :D
If you are "slower these days", I doubt it has anything to do with your "wires". If I were you I would take a close look at the lack of "nuts" behind the throttles. :D
Hope to see you this weekend!
Mark

Warlockjer
04-26-2007, 07:49 AM
Hey Doug, you should have asked the BILGE IDIOT!!:) :)

BigDoug
04-26-2007, 10:02 AM
That was funny Jerry :D

SFG
04-26-2007, 10:26 AM
Doug, Can you detail my 35' fifth wheel in about an hour? LOL
Pete:D

OGShocker
04-26-2007, 10:31 AM
Doug, Can you detail my 35' fifth wheel in about an hour? LOL
Pete:D
Great first post!!!
He must have some time on his hands.... He's hanging out in here.. LMAO!!

ChumpChange
04-26-2007, 10:48 AM
I know that this past week was the first time I've ever had my boat detailed. It's not too old and I try and keep it pretty nice. I'll let you guys know how Doug did on Monday after I see it.
If it doesn't look good, you can always blame Absolute since they got it out of storage after you. :D

ChumpChange
04-26-2007, 02:13 PM
Can you clean this guys bilge? :D
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/2668BoatFire_001-med.jpg