PDA

View Full Version : Don't ever sell anything to family.......

BadKachina
04-26-2007, 06:59 AM
So I put my 00 Excursion for sale, I had offers the very first day. In fact I had made a deal with a guy and he was going to the credit union to get his loan and everything sewn up. No deposit though. Then the wifes little sister calls and says her boyfriend really wants the truck and that we should sell it to them first, in fact they start right away with the guilt trip about how we didn't offer it to them first knowing that they've always wanted this truck.
My first mistake was not telling them to pound sand at this point. I tried to explain that it wasn't the greatest family truck for two early 20 year olds with a child, but they didn't care. They really wanted this truck.
So I have it detailed, freshly serviced, give him a hitch, show him how to work everything and off he goes.
The phone calls start the first night, mostly just questions on how stuff works, how to work all the tv's, how to use the BullyDog, etc. etc....
I'm already irritated at this point, the kid is calling 2 or three times a day with stupid questions.
Two weeks later it starts making a noise.........He takes it to a shop I recommend, but doesn't like the location or the fact that the truck may have to sit outside and decides to go to some other shops. My guy tells me he thinks it's the two piece flywheel that's making noise but of course wont be sure until he tears it down.
He finds another shop and calls to tell me it needs a whole tranny, the flywheel is making the noise requiring everything to be replaced. This guy says for 2k he'll fix everything and give him a 12 month warranty. Fine, I offer to pay for half since it's so recent thinking this is the nice thing to do, I could have told him to pound sand at this point.
I thought it was pretty much taken care of at this point until the wife calls. I guess the sister called her and let her know that they didn't want a rebuilt tranny, they wanted a brand new one from Ford. They also expected that I pay for half of the new one and told my wife that it the right thing for us to do?????????
Was I being unreasonable offering to pay for half a rebuild on a 7 year old truck or should I feel obligated to pay for a brand new one? I know I don't have to do anything, my bill of sale says as is, and I sold it to them in good faith thinking the truck was mechanically sound. Everyone that knows these trucks knows the tranny's are time bomb wainting to happen, I had it replaced three years ago. Things break, but I don't like being pressured and I don't think a 7 year truck reauires me putting a new tranny in it.
Oh and the latest as of last night is that the batteries arent holding a charge at the Ford dealer ship and they need replaced. They're Optimas and under warranty but at this point I don't feel like getting them and taking them back to Costco for them.
Welcome to my hell......................

Invisible Sun
04-26-2007, 07:04 AM
Never sell them anything or work on their cars for them either. I learned that early on. No good deed goes un-punished!

Some Kind Of Monster
04-26-2007, 07:05 AM
This definitely does not warrant you paying half of a new tranny, You sold him a used truck, without a warranty, as-is, why should he get anything new with that. As far as I see it, your end of the deal was completed when they drove away. Hope you guys aren't close.

Jordy
04-26-2007, 07:07 AM
I'm done selling shit to anyone, period. I think I'll just insure it, then destroy it as it would be less of a headache, insurance fraud charges included. :notam:
Apparently some people don't know the meaning of the word AS-IS. Oh, and I think you went over and above offering to pay for half of a rebuilt tranny. For them to want a brand new one from Ford??? Good luck with all that. :jawdrop: :idea: :eek:

jbone
04-26-2007, 07:08 AM
Your title for this thread says it all!!
Since you already agreed to pay half of the rebuit tranny, I'd give them that amount and they can apply it as they see fit. Then when handing them the cash say from this point on, the truck is theirs and you will not assume any additional responsibility...period.
Good luck,
J

boater72
04-26-2007, 07:09 AM
I'm done selling shit to anyone, period. I think I'll just insure it, then destroy it as it would be less of a headache, insurance fraud charges included. :notam:
Apparently some people don't know the meaning of the word AS-IS. Oh, and I think you went over and above offering to pay for half of a rebuilt tranny. For them to want a brand new one from Ford??? Good luck with all that. :jawdrop: :idea: :eek:
I feel the same way. But you could ask our Ford man here on the boards this question but I don't think you can get a new trans from ford as they are rebuilds also. Could be wrong.

Eliminator 4 Life
04-26-2007, 07:13 AM
Everyone knows the tranny is the weak link in that 7.3 motor combo. Well if you would have sold it to me my first stop was my buddys tranny shop so he could do it right for about $3500 which includes rebuild bigger cooler and bigger torque converter I guess it holds about 7 gallons of more fluid. Anyways I would tell him to pound sand.:D

OCMerrill
04-26-2007, 07:19 AM
I was up against this same situation.
After about a month of phone calls, complaining, etc. I blew my lid.
Told them to give me the car back, I did not ask...I directed them to give it back. I went to the bank, got their money. They ignored me but continued to bug my wife (girlfriend at the time).
I even went so far as to plop all the cash in front of them at a family function about 2 weeks later. Give me back the car....:mad: :mad:
End result was the sister just wanted to bitch and my Wife would listen. They did not want to give the car back and there was never really anything wrong with it. I wasn't connected to the family at the time (now I am:eek: ) so it was easy for me to shut them up.
Call them to the table...I will bet they back down and thats the last you will hear about it.
What I did.

Some Kind Of Monster
04-26-2007, 07:25 AM
A boot to the Chest, is all they deserve!
Ut-oh.. It's the fad that's sweeping North America!!

BadKachina
04-26-2007, 07:28 AM
I was up against this same situation.
After about a month of phone calls, complaining, etc. I blew my lid.
Told them to give me the car back, I did not ask...I directed them to give it back. I went to the bank, got their money. They ignored me but continued to bug my wife (girlfriend at the time).
I even went so far as to plop all the cash in front of them at a family function about 2 weeks later. Give me back the car....:mad: :mad:
End result was the sister just wanted to bitch and my Wife would listen. They did not want to give the car back and there was never really anything wrong with it. I wasn't connected to the family at the time (now I am:eek: ) so it was easy for me to shut them up.
Call them to the table...I will bet they back down and thats the last you will hear about it.
What I did.
Oh yeah, I already told the wife to offer to buy it back. I told her I'll go get if from Ford and pay for it and pay them what they paid for it. They want to keep it of course.........:rolleyes:

BadKachina
04-26-2007, 07:29 AM
. Hope you guys aren't close.
The holidays should be great this year.:)

Jordy
04-26-2007, 07:29 AM
Oh yeah, I already told the wife to offer to buy it back. I told her I'll go get if from Ford and pay for it and pay them what they paid for it. They want to keep it of course.........:rolleyes:
Then tell them to pound f'kn sand... You offered to help but they wanted to go another route. AS IS means AS IS. ;)

BadKachina
04-26-2007, 07:30 AM
I feel the same way. But you could ask our Ford man here on the boards this question but I don't think you can get a new trans from ford as they are rebuilds also. Could be wrong.
You're right, they're remans.
You can get a Banks rebuild for the price of the Ford.

wsuwrhr
04-26-2007, 07:33 AM
What a pain in the ass.
The worst part about this thread is that 2000 was SEVEN years ago.
Sucks getting old
Brian

bear down
04-26-2007, 07:35 AM
I would tell them that your offer stands (since you told them already) to pay for half of the rebuilt tranny if they don't want that you would be willing to purchase the truck back...Thats it...Bummer your going through this. I had a friend once tell me that he does business two ways. Either you give it to me free and I can't complain or ask for any recourse or I pay full price and I can grind you like a regular vendor....so I guess you kinda need to apply that to family as well. Good luck

Jbb
04-26-2007, 07:36 AM
Then tell them to pound f'kn sand... You offered to help but they wanted to go another route. AS IS means AS IS. ;)
Jordy....stop hatin.....:D
RD SUX

Jordy
04-26-2007, 07:37 AM
Jordy....stop hatin.....:D
RD SUX
Not hatin' The Jbb, educatin'... ;) :D

Jbb
04-26-2007, 07:40 AM
Not hatin' The Jbb, educatin'... ;) :D
Aah yes....positive negativity.......you so smart....:)

Big Warlock
04-26-2007, 07:41 AM
Time to sit little sister down and explain how shiat goes down bro!! I do it all the time. Best part is they hate you and swear they won't talk to you ever again. Problem is holding that promise to them!!! lol :D
By the way, you're the man. Stereo is bad ass!! I can't hear her shouting at me anymore while driving the boat!! (Or any other time we are on the boat now) Awesome!!! :D

superdave013
04-26-2007, 07:46 AM
heck, I won't even sell a car/truck to anyone I know. When I'm done with it I want it gone and to never see it again. And yes, I learned the hard way too.

wsuwrhr
04-26-2007, 07:49 AM
heck, I won't even sell a car/truck to anyone I know. When I'm done with it I want it gone and to never see it again. And yes, I learned the hard way too.
So no chance on me sweeping up a sweet Schiada?
Brian

superdave013
04-26-2007, 07:51 AM
So no chance on me sweeping up a sweet Schiada?
Brian
I would make an exception if you come up with 30K cash. :D

Chico&Zeus
04-26-2007, 07:58 AM
You need to let them know that there are thousands and thousands of brand new cars out there with 5 to 10 year warrenties on them, and then there are "extended warrenties". You gotta pay to play, they got a decent "USED" vehicle, and now there are things that need to be replaced. You are never going to buy USED and get BRAND NEW, I don't care how anal the original owners were.

Jyruiz
04-26-2007, 07:58 AM
Sucks, but that is why I don't sell to family or friends either. You have gone above and beyond, stick to your offer and let them know that is it or they will continue to try to get you to pay for what ever goes wrong in the future. Good luck.

TahitiTiger
04-26-2007, 09:12 AM
I never sell to family, or work on family's vehicles (except Mom's car). I sold a car to my older brother's kid 4 years ago, and he still expects me to pay for stuff that breaks on it. :mad: (the car is a 91 autocross Miata).

wsuwrhr
04-26-2007, 09:18 AM
Will you except change jars for payments in the meantime?

wsuwrhr
04-26-2007, 09:19 AM
How about a slightly used Kitamura CNC mill for a deposit? Along with the change jar payment plan of course.

Kindsvater Flat
04-26-2007, 09:24 AM
Brothers wife insisted that they sell her old car to her sister. He didn't want any hassles from the family and just gave her the car. He told her that since she was getting a car for free that if it broke just throw it away.:D