PDA

View Full Version : 058...inside please

restofreak
08-23-2002, 06:06 PM
I just bought what is either a Dimarco or Howard shovelnose hydro ( something for myself finally!) that I'm going to convert to a picklefork and restore to show condition.These two were really hard to tell apart. Ser #'s are gone. I was wondering if your Howard has a manufacturers placard anywhere and if so , where?
RF

08-23-2002, 06:20 PM
Rob, Congrats on your new project. My Howard doesn't have a placard like the ones found in Mandellas but there should be a hull no. in the upper right corner of the transom [looking from the back forward] Can you post a pic or 2 of the hull and maybe someone here can tell the diff.

FLYTE RISK
08-23-2002, 06:27 PM
058 bung and I will see ya at tower pk. sat. on bikes.. gotta work a.m stop by after hope to see ya......

08-23-2002, 06:32 PM
FLYTE RISK:
058 bung and I will see ya at tower pk. sat. on bikes.. gotta work a.m stop by after hope to see ya......Good...I'll be looking for ya. :D :D :D

restofreak
08-23-2002, 06:34 PM
All numbers are gone from what I can tell. I'll try to post some pics when I get some. If I'm not mistaken, Howards had a little longer decks than a Dimarco. I guess I'll have to wait and see. Thanks for the reply.
RF

08-23-2002, 06:40 PM
Rob, Its been so long since I've seen a Howard hydro I don't think I could ID one if I had to. If I got the story correct Howard Brown cut up all the hydro molds after too many of his friends were killed in them. I think that was in the late 60s or very early 70s. I'm sure there are many people here who would know alot more than me.

old rigger
08-23-2002, 07:43 PM
058:
Rob, If I got the story correct Howard Brown cut up all the hydro molds after too many of his friends were killed in them. I think that was in the late 60s or very early 70s. 058,
He told me he doused the molds with lighter fluid, threw a match on them and watched 'em burn down.
You're right about his drivers getting killed in the shovel. The hull couldn't keep up with the horsepower being built by the engine guys.

Sangster
08-23-2002, 08:01 PM
Restofreak: I have a 70' Howard on the side of my house..It's a bare hull in pretty bad shape but I have big plans for it someday..yes the deck/bow area is massive. It must be like driving an old Lincoln Towncar, It's a big boat by todays standards.. Will post some pics tommorrow...