PDA

View Full Version : 496 HO help.

moneypit
04-26-2007, 10:55 AM
I just dropped the boat in at Havasu Landing and about 30 seconds in a big screeching noise came from the motor area. I think I have a bad impeller. Any ideas? Belt possibly... The motor didn't get hot yet, about 110 deg. It sounded like a power steering going out....
I have a guy whose going to look at it later.

Beer-30
04-26-2007, 11:06 AM
Mind did that on start-up the other day. It was a real quick screech. I would say the belt may be getting a little slack? I noticed it is a manual adjuster, and not spring loaded like a normal serpentine setup.
As previously mentioned, take a look while it's running and see what isn't turning.

moneypit
04-26-2007, 11:18 AM
So if I drop it in the water and turn it on and look at the belt turning wouldn't it still turn something like the alternator? The noise was so loud I was worried to continue running it. I will go give it a whirl though.

Beer-30
04-26-2007, 11:18 AM
i do a new belt every other year,65$:idea:
And each time, throw the old one under a seat with your spare prop (replacing the oldest one each time). Because ya just never know.

moneypit
04-27-2007, 08:52 AM
It ws the impeller... Funny thing was, is that I had this boat serviced twice before. But after seeing that the nuts on the pump had never been cracked, I realized that I had been lied to by the place I had my supposed services done at...
I m pissed to find out the impeller had never been changed.
DO NOT USE THE MARINE SERVICE CENTER IN SIMI VALLEY!

soupersonic
04-27-2007, 08:59 AM
Glad it was something simple, sucks tho about the service center. Not much worse than being taken advantage of.

Captain Dan
04-27-2007, 09:00 AM
It ws the impeller... Funny thing was, is that I had this boat serviced twice before. But after seeing that the nuts on the pump had never been cracked, I realized that I had been lied to by the place I had my supposed services done at...
I m pissed to find out the impeller had never been changed.
DO NOT USE THE MARINE SERVICE CENTER IN SIMI VALLEY!
Isn't the world of marine repair great? If is says marine or RV on it, hold on to your wallet. More flakes than most any other industry.