PDA

View Full Version : San Felipe advice please

nodigg
02-07-2006, 08:29 PM
We are heading down to San Flelipe for a week starting Sunday, (got the insurance yesterday), with a few friends and taking the toybox and buggy. Any one have any tips on this kind of trip for me? Should I take the SeaDoo too?

Racer277
02-07-2006, 08:42 PM
As nice as the water looks, it is REALLY SALTY. You won't be able to rinse the seadoo out soon enough.
If you are on the beach for any time, the shrimp fishers should motor over to offer you buckets of shrimp, cheap...
If you camp (sleep) on the beach, mark yourself well, as buggies drive down the beach at night and won't see you (your prolly in your toybox though...)
Have fun, it's a cool little town...

nodigg
02-07-2006, 09:26 PM
Thanks Sean, yes we will be sleeping in the toybox for sure. Sounds like we can get plenty of shrimp to cook up.

MAINEVENT
02-07-2006, 09:30 PM
Its a pretty cool town i have'nt been in years but i was actually thinking of cruising down their sometime soon... killer fish tacos and cheap beer :rollside:

nodigg
02-07-2006, 09:32 PM
Its a pretty cool town i have'nt been in years but i was actually thinking of cruising down their sometime soon... killer fish tacos and cheap beer :rollside:
FIsh tacos and beer is plenty reason for me but I hear the dunes are good too? And you can ride your toys all over town?

JetBoatRich
02-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Made the drive a couple years ago :cool: had a great timne for a few days camp along the beach. Huge difference between high and low tide :cool:
Buy some fireworks in town and enjoy your show :cool:

MAINEVENT
02-07-2006, 09:40 PM
FIsh tacos and beer is plenty reason for me but I hear the dunes are good too? And you can ride your toys all over town?
Yeah the dunes are fun and yes you can ride bikes and rails in town... Damn it the memories are coming back :( the only thing i remebered was that some camp grounds had curfew and you could'nt fire up your bike/rail after a certain time in the morining and night time....

nodigg
02-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Made the drive a couple years ago :cool: had a great timne for a few days camp along the beach. Huge difference between high and low tide :cool:
Buy some fireworks in town and enjoy your show :cool:
So I guess I won't need the ones I brought back from New Mexico then......
Do they allow camping right on the beach like in Pismo then? Or only in campgrounds?

JetBoatRich
02-07-2006, 09:46 PM
Have to watch crossing the boarder with fireworks :rolleyes: both directions
We took the RV and camped in a park, backed it in against the beach. Not familiar with the surroundings, set up during high tide so you are safe :rolleyes: distance from the water

ITS ALL GOOD
02-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Have fun , it is beautiful down there , dont take the sea doo the salt will tear it up, take plenty of pics.

Havasu Luvr
02-07-2006, 10:17 PM
Rick, most access to the playa are set up with campos. If by chance you do get on the playa you will most likely meet up with someone claiming fees. I would suggest up the beach from Rockadile to Campo Ruben's or the Playa Bonita. Nice little campos with facilities. If you get a spot in Campo Ruben's say "Ola" to Ruben for me. Also he has a cantina/resteraunt right in the camp/beach. Have a cold one and say Ola to Marco for me too. Fun place and great locals. The "Back Ally" bars are the best...cold cheap beers. F*** the Rockadile & Marimar Bars...to Americanized. Have fun and remember one thing..."What happens in San Felipe stays in San Felipe
PS. dont let the 2 Federally (sp?) check points intimidate you. Just a bunch of kids with fully automatic weapons who do NOT speak any english :rolleyes:

Sportin' Wood
02-08-2006, 07:08 AM
Rick, most access to the playa are set up with campos. If by chance you do get on the playa you will most likely meet up with someone claiming fees. I would suggest up the beach from Rockadile to Campo Ruben's or the Playa Bonita. Nice little campos with facilities. If you get a spot in Campo Ruben's say "Ola" to Ruben for me. Also he has a cantina/resteraunt right in the camp/beach. Have a cold one and say Ola to Marco for me too. Fun place and great locals. The "Back Ally" bars are the best...cold cheap beers. F*** the Rockadile & Marimar Bars...to Americanized. Have fun and remember one thing..."What happens in San Felipe stays in San Felipe
PS. dont let the 2 Federally (sp?) check points intimidate you. Just a bunch of kids with fully automatic weapons who do NOT speak any english :rolleyes:
The kids at the check points like Monster Energy drink. Bring a few to hand out if you are headed down late. I'm going down in March for the 250 if I get my passport in order.

Havasu Luvr
02-08-2006, 07:31 AM
The kids at the check points like Monster Energy drink. Bring a few to hand out if you are headed down late. I'm going down in March for the 250 if I get my passport in order.
Years ago the kids loved MRE's. I would bring 2 cases with me (one for each check point). There was an American (Jack) who lived in Campo Ruben's and had a few 23'er and a local (Alex) to Captian the boat. We would head out early sat morning to either the Rock or the Ship Wreck and hook up on the Corvina (sp?) and if the fishing sucked Alex would find the shrimp boats and we would buy 3-4 kilo's @ around $8 USD each. It was usually 12-18ct. What a town....Ahhhh the memories

nodigg
02-08-2006, 09:17 PM
Thanks bud!

Sportin' Wood
02-09-2006, 06:15 AM
Don't go Rick. Seems there is a serial gay rapist down there....lol
Gotta watch out for Chupa Cabre, marauding angry locals with machette's, Bandito's,bad water, Corrupt govt,sun burn, hangovers,and loose women as well. I would not go if I was you, all kinds of bad stuff down there.
F-San Felipe
:)

Racer277
02-09-2006, 09:11 AM
Alex would find the shrimp boats and we would buy 3-4 kilo's @ around $8 USD each. It was usually 12-18ct. What a town....Ahhhh the memories
That's what I remember.
A 5 gallon bucket of fresh shrimp was $10, and the shrimp were 8-12" long!
We brought down cases of Budwieser, and happily traded straight across for mexican beers when we got down there (the locals really thought they made over on us!) :)

nodigg
02-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Gotta watch out for Chupa Cabre, marauding angry locals with machette's, Bandito's,bad water, Corrupt govt,sun burn, hangovers,and loose women as well. I would not go if I was you, all kinds of bad stuff down there.
F-San Felipe
:)
Sounds like my kind of place....... :)

nodigg
02-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Don't go Rick. Seems there is a serial gay rapist down there....lol
You sure you don't wanna break with you long standing tradition and go across the border????
Where's Sin Cal, I 'll bet he would tag along!

viabaja
02-09-2006, 07:34 PM
All,
I live down there part time south of SF. Info to enlighten:
1. Cheap beer is a thing of the past!
2. Cheap shrimp is a thing of the past
3. If you camp in SF you will have people 2-3 ft off your door step camping
4. Passports are not needed (2008 yes). If you stay less than 72 hrs, an FMT (tourist card) is not required
5. Leave guns, ammo, pakalolo, very large knives, at home unless you want to visit (for many years) a Mexican prison
6. Leave the fireworks there. US immigration can impound your car if they so choose
7. You are allowed 5 US gallons of fuel to bring across. Any more risks a fine or being turned around,
8. Diesel cost is $1.90 a gallon. Gas is same as here.
9. Be curtious, you are a visitor in their country. Speak Spanish - even limited
10. Seadoos & boats - water very salty. Bring Salt Away and lots of spray silicone to hold you over until you get home. The harbor has a launch ramp. Any other launch is off the beach, 4X4, & your vehicle will get salt water on it. AIR DOWN to at least 15 psi. WATCH the tides. I launch a 14' jet boat with a CJ5 Jeep.
HAVE FUN

Sin Cal
02-09-2006, 08:09 PM
You sure you don't wanna break with you long standing tradition and go across the border????
Where's Sin Cal, I 'll bet he would tag along!
Hey Rick we would for sure be there if invited :cry: . Last time down there for me was during my college days. The over the line turny was held there during spring break. Remember the fish tacos and tequila :rollside:

nodigg
02-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Hey Rick we would for sure be there if invited :cry: . Last time down there for me was during my college days. The over the line turny was held there during spring break. Remember the fish tacos and tequila :rollside:
HELL YEAH! Have your people call my people! Let's GO!

nodigg
02-09-2006, 08:17 PM
All,
I live down there part time south of SF. Info to enlighten:
1. Cheap beer is a thing of the past!
2. Cheap shrimp is a thing of the past
3. If you camp in SF you will have people 2-3 ft off your door step camping
4. Passports are not needed (2008 yes). If you stay less than 72 hrs, an FMT (tourist card) is not required
5. Leave guns, ammo, pakalolo, very large knives, at home unless you want to visit (for many years) a Mexican prison
6. Leave the fireworks there. US immigration can impound your car if they so choose
7. You are allowed 5 US gallons of fuel to bring across. Any more risks a fine or being turned around,
8. Diesel cost is $1.90 a gallon. Gas is same as here.
9. Be curtious, you are a visitor in their country. Speak Spanish - even limited
10. Seadoos & boats - water very salty. Bring Salt Away and lots of spray silicone to hold you over until you get home. The harbor has a launch ramp. Any other launch is off the beach, 4X4, & your vehicle will get salt water on it. AIR DOWN to at least 15 psi. WATCH the tides. I launch a 14' jet boat with a CJ5 Jeep.
HAVE FUN
All good insight, where do we want to camp then? I speakedasapanglish!

mexrunner
02-09-2006, 08:27 PM
viabaja is on the money still a neat little town just getting more americanized if your hungry on the way down theres great place to eat about an hour above san felipe and the have the cleanest restrooms ive ever seen in baja its just past kilometer marker 54 on the m5 called campo El mayor. then in my opinion i would look into el golfo its on the otherside of of the sea of cortez and if your down there for a week and get bored with san felipe you got some were to go would probably take 3 hrs to go from san felipe to el golfo look it up on the web plenty of web pages on the place. Adam

nodigg
02-09-2006, 08:29 PM
Why aren't you signed up for the family picnic?
I have trouble with long term commitments, why just last week I backe out on a Sturgis trip with the toybox and left a whole group of riders stranded with no place to sleep for two weeks!

nodigg
02-09-2006, 08:31 PM
viabaja is on the money still a neat little town just getting more americanized if your hungry on the way down theres great place to eat about an hour above san felipe and the have the cleanest restrooms ive ever seen in baja its just past kilometer marker 54 on the m5 called campo El mayor. then in my opinion i would look into el golfo its on the otherside of of the sea of cortez and if your down there for a week and get bored with san felipe you got some were to go would probably take 3 hrs to go from san felipe to el golfo look it up on the web plenty of web pages on the place. Adam
Is that 3 hours by boat? I have heard the name before, is that where the Americans got kicked off their property? One of the reasons i want to go down there is to check out houses in the area.

nodigg
02-09-2006, 08:43 PM
LOL...That was a god response, comical and all but seriously....why are you not signed up?
I dont' wanna be a no show, I got no place to stay locally, the gutter I used to sleep in got sold, I'm not sure my Lysholms will be ready in time, and , uh....I need to make sure I can commit is all..what is the date?

al cole'holic
02-09-2006, 08:49 PM
...when the smelly brown kids come walkin out of the ocean with a net full of clams: don't pay $5 for the largest one, break it open in front of your friends and swallow the contents! :frown: :messedup: :supp: :eek:

mexrunner
02-09-2006, 08:56 PM
dont think anyone got kicked out of el golfo i thought that was all along the pacific dont know how long it would take by boat but if you find out let me know. :)

Sin Cal
02-10-2006, 06:23 PM
I dont' wanna be a no show, I got no place to stay locally, the gutter I used to sleep in got sold, I'm not sure my Lysholms will be ready in time, and , uh....I need to make sure I can commit is all..what is the date?
Sorry but maybe next time. Just to short of a notcie for Lisa. Thanks for the invite. I was wondering why your not signed up for The Picnic also. You always have a place to stay in Bullhead no invite needed. :hammerhea

riverbrat
02-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Pete's camp is great. Went 3 years ago and camped in a tent on the beach. Drink lots of Margarita's!http://www.petescamp.com/principal.html

nodigg
02-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Thanks for all the help. Looks like we are going to leave this afternoon instead of tommorrow morning, (can't wait). Any more help will be appreciated of course.

Havasu Luvr
02-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Thanks for all the help. Looks like we are going to leave this afternoon instead of tommorrow morning, (can't wait). Any more help will be appreciated of course.
One more advise..."DON"T DRINK THE WATER" ! ! ! :p & "DON"T BE SILLY, WRAP THAT WILLY" :rolleyes:

riverroyal
02-11-2006, 12:33 PM
haul ass through mexicali,place is a 3rd world country remember :rolleyes: