PDA

View Full Version : Tips on big weekends

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
05-16-2003, 03:58 PM
Memorial weekend i am taking my boat to Havasu. I will run it in the morning while everone is still knocked out and make a couple passes through the bridge. What do you think my luck will be with the cops and open dry headers? Also if i followed my buddys 21 boats wake could i make it to the sand bar or steamboat cov or? You get what i am saying. I know the boat will float and what not but what about getting swamped? I am not a jack ass wink so i will not go out if it is like a ocean but last year on big weekend i saw a few small jets out there. In the day i am not planning on making flat out passes just getting around. :confused: but want to take the boat out with out sinking it. :D

hboldno7
05-16-2003, 04:15 PM
As long as you keep moving and mind how much water you have in the Boat you will be ok. Most boats you see out there under the water got swamped while they were sttin still. Just Keep Moving

dossangers
05-16-2003, 04:23 PM
CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE:
Memorial weekend i am taking my boat to Havasu. I will run it in the morning while everone is still knocked out and make a couple passes through the bridge. What do you think my luck will be with the cops and open dry headers? Also if i followed my buddys 21 boats wake could i make it to the sand bar or steamboat cov or? You get what i am saying. I know the boat will float and what not but what about getting swamped? I am not a jack ass wink so i will not go out if it is like a ocean but last year on big weekend i saw a few small jets out there. In the day i am not planning on making flat out passes just getting around. :confused: but want to take the boat out with out sinking it. :D if you dont have mufflers plan on a ticket the lake gets real ruff in the afternoon but once your on the river its great!

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
05-16-2003, 04:27 PM
do you know how the ticket might be :confused: ? You have to give a little to get a little. :D

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
05-16-2003, 04:30 PM
will be camped at Crazy Horse if anyother V-DRIVES going out :D I will be easy to spot wink The only dodge on the water.

superdave013
05-16-2003, 04:35 PM
Well, I sank my first flat out in Tompson bay on a Memorial weekend. Cost me every cent I had to get it back. My plan was to kick back in the channel all day. I got kicked out due to my open headers. Boat was not even running at the time. Also on the way out they just ****ing ragged me due to the fact that it ideled to fast when I was leaving. I was doing the start it and shut it off trick. They didn't go for that at all. So I tried to make it to Copper Canyon. Bad move on my part. Took one wave over the bow and it killed the engine. Next wave came over the deck in about a 2' wall of water. That's all it took and the boat went straight under. It didn't go all the way down but just bobed. The salvage guy told me he pulls up about 14 to 17 boats a day on the big weekends. If it would have gone all the way down He would just mark it and come back during the week to get it. Then it would even cost more $$$.
When he was towing me back to my trailer I was the only one in my boat. He set me up with a big ass pump. I mean a BIG one. These 38'+ offshore boats would roar by and I would move the suction hose over to that side to pump the water out as it came in. That was a bad day for me. Still nailed some chick that night though! :D God I love the crazies out there.
Keep your boat on the trailer man. Not worth it.
If you get REAL lucky and don't sink it you will beat it to death and crack the **** out of it. Keep in mind that it might be smooth when you leave. Wind kicks up and now you have 4' swells + the boat chop.
Ever wonder why the ave size boat on Havasu is now around 26'?
Even though an 18'v bottom jet can handle much rougher water then your flat can. I've seen countless of them go down too on the big weekends.
My suggestion is to go early in the week and run your boat a bit. Then hop in your buddy's boat on the weekend for the big party. It's not even worth it to put yours in the water for a 6 am pass if you have to use a ramp. When you go to take it out the line will be HUGE already with other people lanuching. Not even worth the hassle.
The cops will be in MEGA force that weekend in a ZERO torlarance mode. They will hassle you in that flat like you will never get hassled again.
I was 22 when that happened. I remember meeting you. You looked like you're still in your 20's with your first boat just like I was. I'm just trying to keep you from making the mistake I did.
We used to go every memorial weekend as just a guys trip. Did it for 11 years straight. We would stay on the CA side at Havasu landing. Then I would run my boat early am for a few passes. It was not a big hassle because you could just launch right on the beach and not use the ramp. I don't know if you can still get away with that or not.
Have fun and stay safe. Lots of people get hurt out there on the big weekends.

superdave013
05-16-2003, 04:37 PM
CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE:
do you know how the ticket might be :confused: ? You have to give a little to get a little. :D More the a set of mufflers.

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
05-16-2003, 04:42 PM
Hey thanks Dave. I think i will at least stop by lost lake and take it out sat then come back up for the party. :D So you don't think i will blend in out there and the cops will not notice me? wink

V-DRIVE VIDEO
05-16-2003, 04:58 PM
Marty, I've also done this trip a few times in my Hondo. First of all...you can pull this off but give a lot of thought to Super Daves thread, I can imagine all of that!!! The times I went were purely for trim trollin with buddy's, taking your girl will most definately get you in big trouble!!! The channell is difficult at best to manuever. I did the start stop thing combined with my partner paddling from the deck. The launch ramp is a nightmare!!! A splash shield is a must!! The cops will definately hassle you for idling too fast and a ticket is guaranteed without mufflers. Take a kidney belt if you plan on hittin the open lake and make sure you have a bilge. I run three flapper drains, a bilge and have a supersoaker handy (the supersoaker is the best bilge in an emergency). I have miles of video to show these trips and I wouldn't trade em for anything, but I wouldn't do it again!! :cool:

dossangers
05-16-2003, 04:58 PM
ive been hasseled in my cruiser and my old jet hydro those guys are DICKS just looking for some unsuspecting guy to make money. One funney thing was when he hassled me in cruiser when he tried to pull me over i put a roller over his bow he was SOAKED but it cost me my son was 1 year under the life jacket rule underway i hate havasu and the 38 foot assholes!

126driver
05-16-2003, 05:01 PM
Man, I remember taking my 18' jet (sorry guys :D ) out 15 years ago and it sucked ass then. No thanks now. Park it on the beach[edit - I mean on the trailer, you don't EVEN want it in the water] , lean against it, drink beer and add 15 MPH to your top end while you bench race with dudes that say they want to ski behind it. wink :p
[ May 16, 2003, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: 126driver ]

126driver
05-16-2003, 05:03 PM
~!
[ May 16, 2003, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: 126driver ]

wsuwrhr
05-16-2003, 05:41 PM
Dave, you are the man. I couldn't agree with your post more. Have you ever thought of running for president, you have my vote.
When my boat broke at Needles and Marty was towing me, a 26er passed us 30 or so feet off my boat. Damned near swamped me, why the **** would anyone pass a boat in distress so close? Dickheads,
Brian

wsuwrhr
05-16-2003, 05:45 PM
Dave, check your PM's
Brian

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
05-16-2003, 06:14 PM
Yea brian I rember that. It pissed me off too burningm Leaninng more to lost lake on sat.Want to get it running right for Cute Farm Wives wink

Sangster
05-16-2003, 06:17 PM
CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE:
Yea brian I rember that. It pissed me off too burningm Leaninng more to lost lake on sat.Want to get it running right for Cute Farm Wives wink You mean Camp Far Weed..... smile_sp smile_sp Cute Farm Wifes...What is that..Some kinda CODE...You guys down south still running CB's .....Breaker.. Breaker.. smile_sp smile_sp
[ May 16, 2003, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: Sangster ]

wsuwrhr
05-16-2003, 06:26 PM
Laughs, I asked Scott for his Leatherman as the the boat was comming up on us. Figured I was going to have to chop the tow rope.
Brian
I doesn't take brains to have money.

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
05-16-2003, 06:30 PM
Thats a bid 10 4 little buddy. :p

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
05-16-2003, 06:32 PM
AHH crap just noticed i lost a star :mad: That was the first time i ever got a 100% on anything. Whats up with that.

wsuwrhr
05-16-2003, 06:43 PM
somebuddy is jealous you have a Dodge in your boat...
Brian

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
05-16-2003, 06:48 PM
Maybe the Fat Old Round Dudes :D

Her454
05-16-2003, 06:53 PM
Also got kicked out of the channel for open headers, AND en route to Copper took some nasty waves and swamped me. Almost went down when it wouldnt start. THEN, took more water on the tow back in.
(I'll never admit to the tow part again either) wink
NOT worth the stress and it scared the shi* out of me. Leave it on the trailer and hitch a ride, much better...and cheaper in the long run. eek!

SK48
05-16-2003, 07:18 PM
My tip for big weekends is take all the boats out of the water, do all of your service work, change oil etc. Leave all watercraft in garage. Set up on beach with a large Ice chest, and watch the excitement. Wait until Tuesday morning and put the boat in the water and have fun. Lake is too crowded for small boats, wait till they go home and then have fun.
Sorry you lost a star. I am pretty outspoken and have lost several. I will give you 5 stars to help. If you do go out on the lake remember what super Dave says, as he is correct.

HBjet
05-17-2003, 12:38 AM
California Performance, if you come by Huntington Beach this week, you can borrow my mufflers for the weekend! Let me know!
HBjet

DansBlown73Nordic
05-17-2003, 03:01 AM
I took my 66 Stevens to the St. Lawrence river once. This is a big shipping channel. Also lots of huge tour boats. Some of the waves are 3-4 foot rollers.....I didn't have any problems at all.
Have-A-Zoo must be some place. After reading all you guys posts. eek! You got me nervous now. eek!

DansBlown73Nordic
05-17-2003, 03:02 AM
I took my 66 Stevens to the St. Lawrence river once. This is a big shipping channel. Also lots of huge tour boats. Some of the waves are 3-4 foot rollers.....I didn't have any problems at all.
Have-A-Zoo must be some place. After reading all you guys posts. eek! You got me nervous now. eek!

Sangerboy
05-17-2003, 04:45 AM
My plan for Memorial Day weekend is to stay at home and wrench on the boat. Take a Monday off some other week and make my own holiday weekend. When you're young and want to make the scene it's worth the hassles( unless your boat sinks eek! SD that was probably before they made all of Thompson Bay a no wake zone). Alot of the injuries and deaths are alcohol related. A 38 footer driven by a giant ego fueled by a few beers is a little to frightening for me. Be careful , have fun, you could run a little very early in the AM but if you want to go any distance , ride in your buddy's boat.

stump
05-17-2003, 04:52 AM
Thatlake sounds like Lake Norman here in NC the big boats just make all kinds of big swells that will swamp ya.I dont even think about launchin my boat on weekends here.I take mine out on weekday afternoons and blast next to the Hwy where all the big boat owners are sitting in afternoon traffic trying to get home.Lake Hartwell in SC is a killer lake ,they have lots of real low bridges so if your boat is much taller than a bassboat with a guy standing up they cant go under ,hartwell stays pretty flat .

GofastRacer
05-17-2003, 05:19 AM
SK48:
My tip for big weekends is take all the boats out of the water, do all of your service work, change oil etc. Leave all watercraft in garage. Set up on beach with a large Ice chest, and watch the excitement. Wait until Tuesday morning and put the boat in the water and have fun. Lake is too crowded for small boats, wait till they go home and then have fun.Rich, I couldn't have said it better!. eek! Shot ya a five for that!... wink

uclahater
05-18-2003, 12:00 AM
126driver:
Man, I remember taking my 18' jet (sorry guys :D ) out 15 years ago and it sucked ass then. No thanks now. Park it on the beach[edit - I mean on the trailer, you don't EVEN want it in the water] , lean against it, drink beer and add 15 MPH to your top end while you bench race with dudes that say they want to ski behind it. wink :p Is your boat even going to get wet this year or what :rolleyes: :cool:

Infomaniac
05-18-2003, 06:49 AM
The tip is bring it to Oklahoma. 5 very nice lakes within 45 minutes of my place. Only 2 of them have the big boats. More launch ramps than you can count. 2.00 fee. Plenty of no muffler freindly spots to go to.

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
05-18-2003, 06:57 AM
Now that is a long drive eek!

Thunderbutt
05-18-2003, 07:29 AM
That is another reason I like living on the lake with your own dock, we go out when we want. Leave the big week-ins for the city folks and the ones that don't know how to drive a boat. If I'm setting dead in the water and another boat crosses my transom and with in two hundred feet, he'll get a bunch of shit from me, and maybe a beer can on his deck. I boated at the river for many years,and one thing you did't do was cross behind another boat that was parket or ideling. Why don't you go doen too the river? forget the lake!.

RaysonKid
05-18-2003, 08:10 AM
CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE:
do you know how the ticket might be :confused: ? You have to give a little to get a little. :D My 2 cents.
If your going to push the Open Header thing.
At least do it somewhere that its tollerated.
Lots of lakes are looking for reasons to ban our type of boats.

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
05-18-2003, 04:43 PM
Thanks for all your input. The boat will be on the trailer until sunday and then we are heading dowm to lost lake to run aroud (part of the river) I don't want to sink or beat my baby.And the girlfriend is staying home this trip. All those guyz ot there are walking hard ons with no respect.Avoid the whole problem.

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
05-18-2003, 04:45 PM
Oh and as far as the 20's old enough to know better but young enough not to care. Not this time wink

Ratacole
05-18-2003, 08:25 PM
Looks like I am a little late for my story but first I just got a no muffler tickit....$100.00, no warning no nothing & I was at an idle. Second, my big weekend ended with a coupple of scuba people un-clipping my anchor & re-clipping it to an under water cable of sone kind. When me & my friends were trying to pull the anchor up the bow was almost going under. Than through the merky water up came this cable. I have not been back since & to this day that stupid story is still brought by my suck-ass friends. smile_sp smile_sp

V-DRIVE VIDEO
05-19-2003, 12:16 PM
CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE:
Thanks for all your input. The boat will be on the trailer until sunday and then we are heading dowm to lost lake to run aroud (part of the river) I don't want to sink or beat my baby.And the girlfriend is staying home this trip. All those guyz ot there are walking hard ons with no respect.Avoid the whole problem. Hey Marty, Lost Lake area is definately Jet boat country, watch out for sand bars. :) :)

Bense468
05-19-2003, 02:34 PM
I have run my boat out at havasu quite a few times. It is a low profile jet and it is Loud. I am now 24 as of yesterday but have been running my boat since I was 18 there. I know what superdave is saying about being young having boats like that.
One thing they like to do is to pull you over saying that you are too loud to check to see if you have been drinking. They want to take you in for that. I have been kicked off the water once for being too loud, but been stopped probably 10 or 12 times to say that my boat is a little loud. then the pretty much let me go and tell me if they see me tomorrow on the water no mufflers they will write me up. I took my chances, and never got nailed for it. Almost sunk it real bad once on the way up to the sandbar. Was not a good scene. Had a chick with me, she was flipping out. I have made it up there several major weekends also. It is probably going to be the most challenging venture you have taken but if you are smart you can make it. The channel is hard to manuver. I broke my cable once and just had drive. It was 4th of july I went throught the channel and it was a bitch. Had to do the start stop thing, with a buddy on the bow just in case. Your headers will get super hot running through the channel. Sometimes it can take you a good 45 minutes to an hour to get through on a major of ideling.
I also drove a buddies flat out there because he was kind of new to boating and was afraid to take it through the channel on a major. We just park them in there when things get rough and hang out and HOPE things get better before you have to put it back on the trailer.

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
05-26-2003, 05:00 PM
For those of you that care, I made it. eek! I took the boat out sat morning and made a few passes then went through the channel then went back to camp to fix small repair. Came back out around 10 am and it was packed. You all were right what A PAIN IN THE ASS but it was way too cool to have the only v-drive on the water.The boat idled around 800 rpm so it was not too fast small wake and passed by 5 cops at the channel with nothing but thumbs up :D People are ass holes almost got stuck between 2 28' v bottoms. If there was a fly it would have been dead, their damb boats almost rubbed my headers. :( I did not take the boat out in the chop, there was no way. Just another test and tune weekend in the am then it was a free for all, good times :D eek! :cool: :p :D man i tell you there is some bad women out there. We went to copper canyon on sunday, That place went off.

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
05-26-2003, 05:03 PM
Hey jerry man the water at lost lake was way down so we did not even try it :rolleyes: but there was some bad boats down there.