PDA

View Full Version : So what are you?????

boatsnblondes
04-26-2007, 10:38 PM
Christian? Catholic? Jewish?? LDS? Atheist?
What religion are you?? Does it play an important role in your life? Is it your life? Are you a believer? Or not? Do you wish you were?
So I'll go first...Christian all my life, attend Church on Sundays when I am home...wife is a PK....there ya go...:D

OliverM5
04-26-2007, 11:10 PM
I'm Jewish, not all that religious and have dated mostly Catholic and Christian girls all my life. The only thing I don't like about the religion is how unaccepting Jews are to marrying outside the religion. Otherwise, I like the morals and values of the religion.....

SHOTKALLIN
04-26-2007, 11:56 PM
My family is Catholic. I denounced the church way before the molestation cover up scandals. I just cant get over the retarded stuff that the church puts out. Example; Several months ago the Pope made an announcement that if you were married and your spouse has HIV or aids....its OK to wear a condom so that you don't contract the disease. WTF? Why is using a condom a sin anyway? Never mind that millions of Catholics are having sex before marriage, adultery sex, gay sex, and married sex but you can't afford anymore damn kids. How about having some responsibility and give permission for condom use for all Catholics? I think the Catholic church would like you to have as many kids as possible because thats more money in the future's collection plates.
I believe in God...most of the time. Science has some pretty damn good arguments. At times I think I might be agnostic. I don't know. Some people need religion to guide them through life and I think that is a good thing. I also think that some peoples lives suck so bad that all they have is their faith and heaven to look forward too. I think it is very possible that religion was made up to control people. This would explain the reason why there are so many different religions around the world.
Most will tell you that their religion is the only true religion that will get you to heaven and all non-believers are going straight to hell. This is IMO the biggest crock of DOO DOO ever written. Children are not responsible for being born in China, Iran, Turkey, Africa or in the damn amazon jungle chasing monkeys with spears and blow guns. It's luck of the draw to be born in a Christian nation or into a Christian faith. There is nothing that you can tell me that will make me believe that people are going to burn in hell for being born to the wrong parents.
Just my .02

Run_em_Hard
04-27-2007, 04:40 AM
I believe in god but no primary religion, Wife is LDS(Mormon). I haven't been to church since I can remember and the wife hasn't been since before we even started dating. We can get into some pretty heated arguments so we try not to talk about religion too much. Living in small Utah cities it is hard not to have religion around you alot but it doesn't play a role in my life at this time.
My main problem is I hate people telling me how I should live my life. When to do what, how to dress, what to do with my time, etc. I don't need to go to church to talk to god. If i feel the need to talk to him I can do it wherever I want.

Wild Horses
04-27-2007, 04:54 AM
My main problem is I hate people telling me how I should live my life. When to do what, how to dress, what to do with my time, etc.
Clean your shit up, get your boat fixed and get back to work!!!!!:devil: :devil:
I don't need to go to church to talk to god. If i feel the need to talk to him I can do it wherever I want.
What wise man gave you this good advice!!:idea: LOL:D :D
Runnin' Wild

707dog
04-27-2007, 05:10 AM
my family is of all religions and my girl is catholic she respects that i choose to stay clear of that mess....i believe in god and have had my dayz of praying..but i think this day and age its blown all outta wack!!...
if people can kill each other over it or look down on you because of your religion and beliefs the whole cycle has takin a turn for the worse.... not to be a smart azz but when i was growning up we had a lil saying...
if your scared go to church!!

RitcheyRch
04-27-2007, 06:03 AM
Christian but havent been to Church in years. Dont feel need to go to Church to believe in God.

Hopdaddie
04-27-2007, 06:09 AM
Christian... though haven't been to any services in a while. I did remember seeing a quote on here and was trying to find it, it is VERY fitting.
Goes like this I believe
I don't want to sit in Church thinking about boating, but rather be in a boat thinking about God. :)

HEDJUG
04-27-2007, 06:19 AM
Atheist-never believed, never will.

ratso
04-27-2007, 06:43 AM
I don't see the inside of a church unless it's for a wedding or a funeral... Born and raised Catholic, and almost ashamed to admit that.

HEDJUG
04-27-2007, 06:49 AM
but?what if your wrong:idea: :D
I dunno what will happen. I think when your dead your dead, thats it. But if I am wrong, would I be in any worse shape than someone who claims to believe, but does all the same crazy stuff? I have had a ton of naked christian girls on my boat, whats gonna happen to them.

Invisible Sun
04-27-2007, 06:49 AM
The rest of my family is Catholic, I believe in Karma!
S

Devil's Advocate
04-27-2007, 06:54 AM
I don't see the inside of a church unless it's for a wedding or a funeral... Born and raised Catholic, and almost ashamed to admit that.
Same here...http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif

4trax
04-27-2007, 06:57 AM
Christian but havent been to Church in years. Dont feel need to go to Church to believe in God.
DITTO! I feel I don't need to be in his house to hear me pray. He can hear me from my house or the lake just as good. If there is one:D I feel it's all about the money anyways:eek: I also feel that death is just like going in for surgery when they give you the drugs to knock ya out:sleeping:

shrek
04-27-2007, 06:58 AM
but?what if your wrong:idea: :D
The question of all time.......What if I'm wrong?
I was born/babtised (sp?) Catholic......
Been Athiest all of my "opinionated" life.........always thought that religion was a crutch that people needed to help get through life. Which is ok, if you need that to get by......
Now I am wavering in my opinions a bit..........Most religions are not a bad thing, and can help to give you some good direction at times.......I think my life would have been easier if I had some sort of religion in my life......and I am trying to figure out what I am going to tell my son as he is growing up......
Maybe it is my son being born, maybe its a mid life "thing", who knows......But I seem to be in some sort of a crossroads in my life right now with regards to religion........I find myself thinking about it more and more lately.....which is very odd for me.
Shrek

2Driver
04-27-2007, 07:00 AM
Thank God I am an Atheist :D :D

a catered life
04-27-2007, 07:03 AM
christian attend church atleast twice a month and believe that there is a god.....dont need to be able to touch him just have faith

ratso
04-27-2007, 07:11 AM
Same here...http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif
We're agreeing on way too much lately... That's scary...:jawdrop:

SB
04-27-2007, 07:12 AM
I would call myself Christian disorganized. I believe in God, I don't believe in the men who run the churches. I believe in Jesus, and I think that belief should be put above all worldly concerns. I hope you all find Jesus, I really do. I don't go to church.
Most of the differences in religions have more to do with money and politics, more than religion. What is the difference between Catholic, Lutheran, Protestant, and all the Christian churches? What is the big difference between Shiite and Sunni? Between Hindu and Sikh?
I understand why the Pope can't change his mind. What you see in the news changes daily. The popular music and movies changes monthly. The politicians change policy every few years. God only announces a major policy shift every few thousand years. That's why the Pope can't change as fast as the media would like.
Catholics and Jews have a similar problem. They are losing people to intermarriage. They are losing people to fundamentalists on the right and secular humanists on the left.
See you on the water. God put oil in the ground for us to burn. :D

Run_em_Hard
04-27-2007, 07:18 AM
What wise man gave you this good advice!!:idea: LOL:D :D
Runnin' Wild
Some old bald guy with a slow boat:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Devil's Advocate
04-27-2007, 07:26 AM
We're agreeing on way too much lately... That's scary...:jawdrop:
Give it time, we'll get back on track.:D

little rowe boat
04-27-2007, 07:54 AM
Christian? Catholic? Jewish?? LDS? Atheist?
What religion are you?? Does it play an important role in your life? Is it your life? Are you a believer? Or not? Do you wish you were?
So I'll go first...Christian all my life, attend Church on Sundays when I am home...wife is a PK....there ya go...:D
I thought Catholics were Christians.:confused:

wright27
04-27-2007, 08:10 AM
Religion is a group of people who made up a bunch of there own rules on how you should live your life, and try and use God as there reasoning. I believe it has corupted the truth about God, and people have become very confused about what God is all about.
Christianity is not a religion, it is a faith in The Word of God (Bible). God is love, and the Bible says what is sin to one man is not necessarily sin to another. I beleive if you honestly feel something is wrong, and you do it then it will be looked at as sin. Jesus died on the cross so that we could be saved from our sins and be able to spend eternity in Heaven, By accepting Him into your life and heart.
Church is a group of people who congregate together to speak about the Lord. I personally do not go to church for the main reason that I feel some of the people in church are very judgmental and hypocritical. JMO
I am a born again christian. I do not attend church for above reasons. I do NOT beleive that having fun, drinking, and spending time with great people is a sin.
I think it is important to live your life to what you think is right and try to be good to others.
I could go on and on with this subject, but I am sure I have said enough for the most of you already. Time to go get a beer.:D

Devil's Advocate
04-27-2007, 08:44 AM
Religion is a group of people who made up a bunch of there own rules on how you should live your life, and try and use God as there reasoning. I believe it has corupted the truth about God, and people have become very confused about what God is all about.
Christianity is not a religion, it is a faith in The Word of God (Bible). God is love, and the Bible says what is sin to one man is not necessarily sin to another. I beleive if you honestly feel something is wrong, and you do it then it will be looked at as sin. Jesus died on the cross so that we could be saved from our sins and be able to spend eternity in Heaven, By accepting Him into your life and heart.
Church is a group of people who congregate together to speak about the Lord. I personally do not go to church for the main reason that I feel some of the people in church are very judgmental and hypocritical. JMO
I am a born again christian. I do not attend church for above reasons. I do NOT beleive that having fun, drinking, and spending time with great people is a sin.
I think it is important to live your life to what you think is right and try to be good to others.
I could go on and on with this subject, but I am sure I have said enough for the most of you already. Time to go get a beer.:D
Sinner.:D

boatsnblondes
04-27-2007, 09:18 AM
Been Athiest all of my "opinionated" life.........always thought that religion was a crutch that people needed to help get through life. Which is ok, if you need that to get by......
Now I am wavering in my opinions a bit..........Most religions are not a bad thing, and can help to give you some good direction at times.......I think my life would have been easier if I had some sort of religion in my life......and I am trying to figure out what I am going to tell my son as he is growing up......
Maybe it is my son being born, maybe its a mid life "thing", who knows......But I seem to be in some sort of a crossroads in my life right now with regards to religion........I find myself thinking about it more and more lately.....which is very odd for me.
Shrek
BEst thing to do, is go one morning..I HIGHLY recomend Harvest Church in Riverside...bit of a drive, But Greg Laurie is great to listen to, and will send you on your way, gently, to this decision....this was Chris' and my Church for our entire marriage till we moved up here, and we miss going terribly...here is a link to the Church.... (http://www.harvest.org/)

boatsnblondes
04-27-2007, 09:32 AM
One last thing, some folks one here seem to thik that being a religious person is about judging others...it's not, Christ said, "Judge NOT, lest ye be judged..." Church is about living your life, how do you want to live it? To what standards? how do you want to ttreat people? How do you want people to treat you? These issues are much more important than whether someone is say, Gay. And those issues are issies best dealt with by the Lord...it is NOT our place to judge. TO me, Chrurch is about life, my life, how I choose to live it, how I choose to treat others...
And to you atheists..it's an amaziing thing ain't it, to say you don't believe in something, you actually have to believe in it first....:D :D :D

GGR
04-27-2007, 09:46 AM
IMO religion is better suited for the poor and weak, and not the mobile and strong. Maybe Im personally jaded on the subject, since I see more "churches" in some of the less desirable lower income areas of town.
If everyone needed the god, then why are his "homes" more densly populated in lower income areas?
I think it's to keep the dumb, stupid. The whole silent weapons for quiet wars campaign. Maybe Im way off, but thats how I see it.
I have no use for the god on a daily basis, so i feel no need to contribute my time in his "home" or my money into his profiteers hands.
If in the end I find Im wrong, oh well I'll be in hell with all of the rest of ya's anyway. See Ya There!:D

HEDJUG
04-27-2007, 10:03 AM
Shrek
You don't sound athiest to me.

minimatt
04-27-2007, 11:44 AM
I'm a God-fearing, bible-believing Christian. Church every Sunday. Bible study every Tuesday night and praise team practice every Wednesday night. I understand many of the arguements made on here about religions being fraught with hypocrisy, etc. All I can say is that the more time I spend in the Word, the more I have come to realize that if I truly believe that Christ is my Savior, then I must try to submit everything in my life to Christ and His wishes. To do anything less would be disrespectful to the One who will give me everlasting life. I believe that my soul is only saved through the grace of God and there is NOTHING I can do to save myself, but I WANT to do what pleases God. Yep, I sin and I'm a hypocrite and often fall short, but I'm forgiven and will keep on trying to meet the mark.
I would also agree that all of the different denominations are due to humans differing interpretations of certain aspects of the Bible. It seems to me though, that all of the Christian denominations agree on the core Christian principles.

Wild Horses
04-27-2007, 12:38 PM
its not how fast you can run,its how fast you can run in 5'ers:D and quit pickn on dad he might SPANK YOUR ASS:D
Thanks Mark, sometimes I need all the help I can get.:D
When I am towing him in the 6 to 8 footers he sure isn't to concerned about speed. :devil: :devil: :D :D
Runnin' Wild

house
04-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Shrek
So I was born and baptised Catholic as well. Made my First Communion and Confirmation. Finally realized that with all the demands the religion made from its people rand the mistakes the church made themselves, it was a joke. I stepped away from chruch unless there was a wedding or a funeral to attend.
Then about six months ago I was in a bad placed in my life and needed to find balance. On the advice from a great friend I started attending a Christian Church, Calvary Chapel to be exact. It was the best decision I have ever made in my life. I have a five year old child that is in love with the Lord and seeing that innocent joy makes it that much better.
I understand how people can say religion is a crutch, but it really is not. I am not the person to preach but..........it is what you make of it and if you believe and are right in your own mind, there will be guidence for you your entire life and a safe place for you once you pass from this life.

Coded-Dude
04-27-2007, 12:59 PM
Churches are merely places where people of the same religion can congregate and share fellowship in similar beliefs.
Most definitely, Religion teaches good moral values for the general public to abide by. But not everybody needs it. You don't even need to go to a church to be religious, unless you want to congregate with fellow believers.
Here is my MAJOR problem with religion(and it is a doosey!)
Most every major war ever fought in the history of wars was started via religions
(or some difference in beliefs, rather than ideals)
However, you can also look at many civilizations that failed and partial(if not all) blame could be attributed to them having no religion.
Like I said, its great for learning morals and general rules of co-existnace, but it is also one of the deadliest social programs ever devised.
Kind of like a catch 22(or even women for that matter)......"can't live with em, can't live without em."

boatsnblondes
04-27-2007, 01:24 PM
Churches are merely places where people of the same religion can congregate and share fellowship in similar beliefs.
Most definitely, Religion teaches good moral values for the general public to abide by. But not everybody needs it. You don't even need to go to a church to be religious, unless you want to congregate with fellow believers.
Here is my MAJOR problem with religion(and it is a doosey!)
Most every major war ever fought in the history of wars was started via religions(or some difference in beliefs, rather than ideals)
However, you can also look at many civilizations that failed and partial(if not all) blame could be attributed to them having no religion.
Like I said, its great for learning morals and general rules of co-existnace, but it is also one of the deadliest social programs ever devised.
Kind of like a catch 22(or even women for that matter)......"can't live with em, can't live without em."
Well, let me see, Revolutionary war was not a religious war, war of 1812, niether, Civil war? Nope. Spanish American war? Uh uh. WW1? No way. WW2? Ridiculous. Korean war? Nope, Vietnam? Uh uh...Desert storm? Nope. Present war? No....only known religious wars are the middle east wars, all started by Muslims. Russian wars were were expeditionary wars, i.e. we want your lands. Afghanistan includedthey wanted a warm water port. Something severely lacking in the Russian navy. Religion is not a social program. In fact I bet it would surprise you to find out the most important archeological tool being used today in the Middle East is the Bible...go figure. Not a book of fairy tales.

Coded-Dude
04-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Many wars that are not Religious wars, often still include elements of religion....also differences in religion can further inflame a war being fought for other reasons.
The Muslims were tolerant of other religions co-exsisitng, while the Christians were not.
Present war?
George Bush: 'God told me to end the tyranny in Iraq'
You make me laugh........religion is a major proponent in almost every war

KreatinKaos
04-27-2007, 07:08 PM
Santeria :D

PunkAssBitch
04-27-2007, 07:20 PM
the earth is my church....student of the dharma.
and no, I ain't no fuggin' hippy.

wolfie
04-27-2007, 07:22 PM
The Muslims were tolerant of other religions co-exsisitng, while the Christians were not.
I think that if you research a little deeper that you'll find that the Muslims have been fighting the same war against those that don't believe in their religion for more than 3,000 years. The Jihadest and other conservative muslim sects believe that it is their right to slay those who do not believe or convert. We here more about the crusades and the Spanish inquesitions, but nothing is mentioned about how Spain had been converted to Islam by force years before.
Both sides have had their instances of killing in the name of religion. Unfortunately the Muslim religion has not stopped. Most of the Middle Eastern wars were religously based and most of those were between Muslin sects. The mass genocide of the Kurds by the ruling Sunni party is prime example. If you happen to see what's happening in Israel between the political/religious parties in the Palisteinian stae is another example.
Just setting the record straight. It hasn't been just the christians.

wolfie
04-27-2007, 07:24 PM
As someone once said, "it better to be on the lake in my boat thinking about god than to be sitting in church thinking about my boat".

27 Awesome cat
04-27-2007, 07:25 PM
As someone once said, "it better to be on the lake in my boat thinking about god than to be sitting in church thinking about my boat".
Amen>.

Mardonzi
04-27-2007, 07:57 PM
Do they serve margaritas on this flight????????????
Oh,, and Titties and Beer would like some flapjacks if it's not too much trouble

Summer LuvN
04-27-2007, 08:17 PM
I believe in God, no pref. Last time I went to church my cousin talked me into going. I was a service writter for GM at the time. When I got to church, found some of the rudest clients I had ever dealt with sitting in the pews like angels. I realized church is where you go to make up for being an azz....

SHOTKALLIN
04-28-2007, 11:30 AM
I believe in God, no pref. Last time I went to church my cousin talked me into going. I was a service writter for GM at the time. When I got to church, found some of the rudest clients I had ever dealt with sitting in the pews like angels. I realized church is where you go to make up for being an azz....
:D 6 1/2 DAY SINNERS

Xlration Marine
04-28-2007, 02:37 PM
A Christian is "one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ". This means you do as the Good Book says. There is no other way, there is only one way and that is his way. If he says do it this way and you do it another, well buddy you are not a Christian. If you worship things and stuff, well you are no Christian. You may think you are but you are not. Idols like Smith and Mother Mary, not a Christian. The muslims are more Christian than these religons. Believe it or not. No I'm not muslim, just learned a little bit about them last week at church. If you want to learn more about what it means to be a Christian go to www.evbc.org and listen to Tom Shrader. He will flat out tell you what you need to be doing to call yourself a fallower of Christ.
I can tell you this, when you feel Gods embrace you will know he has a better place instore for you. I know 20 years ago I felt it, and it was the most calming feeling that I have ever felt. Know this as well, God chooses man, man does not choose god. It says so in the Bible. I have a sharp tounge and am quick to anger, and was born a sinner. I'm nowhere neer perfect and never will be. I know the He died for me and my faults. Thats why I give him my Praise every Sunday and thank him Daily for what I have. BATTEN DOWN THE HATCH'S, THE WIND IS PICKING UP!!!
1 John 2:15 Do not love the world or the "things" in the world.
Yes your boat falls under this.
Jimmy Houston: Catch of the Day makes for a nice devotional at the dinner table.

catman-do
04-28-2007, 03:02 PM
Im Christian, Lutheran Denomination. However, I havent been to a lutheran church in about 10 years. I started going to non-denominational churches, and havent been to a church at all for about 2 years.