PDA

View Full Version : fuel tanks

garret
02-07-2006, 10:00 PM
where can i find side saddle tanks for my boat?
Looking for something like Imco tanks

Jim Brock
02-07-2006, 10:15 PM
What size boat do you have, i have a pair of used 25 gallon alum tanks $250.00 a pair, Jim

rich
02-08-2006, 07:35 AM
where can i find side saddle tanks for my boat?
Looking for something like Imco tanks
There is a pair on ebay under v-drive parts accessori... :)

Ken F
02-08-2006, 01:46 PM
You can order new imco's if you want. they will make them custom to fit your boat.
Ken F

Boatcop
02-08-2006, 03:38 PM
What size boat do you have, i have a pair of used 25 gallon alum tanks $250.00 a pair, Jim
What are they out of?
I'm considering replacing the fiberglass tanks in my 20' Spectra.

kaqster
02-08-2006, 05:39 PM
I have two 12.5 gallon tanks out of my Eliminator 19' Daytona for sale. Great shape. $250.00. Kaq

atxwrangler
02-08-2006, 06:39 PM
are you getting rid of a daytona,or just going to a different tank?

NUTDRAW
02-08-2006, 07:17 PM
Anyone have suggestions on how to run my dual 14 gal. tanks? I have an 18' Holmes and i just put a new IMCO custom fab stainless tank on the port side to match the tank that the previous owner had put on the starboard side. (Nice tank but it was $360.00 for the custom job.) I am not sure how i should run them. I was thinking of connecting both tanks to a "T" connector so that i could pull fuel from both simultaneously. I figured this would keep the weight even on the back of the boat. If i did this i would half to remove the check valve on each tank then install a manual shut off valve on each ( just to be able to isolate each tank individually if needed). Then i would run the fuel lines from each tank toward each other and connect them with the "T". After the "T" I would put a check valve (for safety) on the line that runs to the pump. I would assume that under demand from the pump that both tanks will deliver fuel equally. If for any reason one tank delivered more than the other, when you turn off the engin it would engage the check valve before the "T" leaving the two tanks connected to eachother with no line interruption. So in theory i think they could then equalize through a siphon effect. The whole idea is for the two tanks to act as one. I am looking for any suggestions on how to do this or whether or not i am on the right track.
Thanks.

Boatcop
02-08-2006, 07:22 PM
Get the standard Mercury Marine filter seperator & mount. There are threaded holes for multiple inlet/outlet set-up. Install shut off valves in the mount, on both inlets, and run a single fuel hose in one of the outlets to the fuel pump. The second outlet will need to be plugged, but the kit comes with the plugs.
Leave the check valves where they are. They're meant to keep the fuel from siphoning in case of a fire or if the fuel line breaks or leaks.

atxwrangler
02-08-2006, 07:34 PM
yea what he said!

NUTDRAW
02-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the input. So if i understand correctly, using this method will not allow the tanks to equalize. In your experience do the tanks usually draw equally using this method? Any good websites to purchase this from?

Boatcop
02-08-2006, 07:45 PM
The tanks will draw evenly when running, but due to the check valves they won't equalize on their own.
Rather than a web site, any marine parts dealer will have them on the shelf. If there aren't any on your area, Overton's (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=27382&fcat=) carrys them.
I run that set up on mine and haven't had any problems.

atxwrangler
02-08-2006, 07:51 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MARINE-FUEL-WATER-SEPERATOR-FILTER-ASSEMBLY- 13.00 on ebay!

Boatcop
02-08-2006, 08:00 PM
The link didn't work.
Try here: Ebay Discount Marine (http://stores.ebay.com/discount-marine_FUEL-VENTS_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQftidZ2QQtZkm)
They also have the valves and hose barbs you'll need.

NUTDRAW
02-08-2006, 08:08 PM
I looked at the ebay link. I didnt see exactly what you are talking about. I did see the fuel-water seperater assembly??? Also, do you run two fuel gauges one for each tank or do you have a switch?

NUTDRAW
02-08-2006, 08:14 PM
You first link did work and i saw what you are talking about. I never thought about this set up. It sounds like it works well though. Any other tips before i order the parts. Really appreciate the help.

atxwrangler
02-08-2006, 08:22 PM
not really,it's pretty simple,mount filter at the rear gunnel,run a hose from each tank with a block valve in betweeb,run a hose straight to your fuel pump!hope this helps!i have a sending unit in one tank only,worked good in last boat,haven't ran this one enough yet to be sure it is the same!

NUTDRAW
02-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Yeah, i gues in theory if both danks draw down equally then only one tank needs to have a sending unit - whatever the level is in that tank should be the level in the other tank. But by having shut off valves on each tank, if you ever have one go empty before the other than just isolate the empty tank with the shut off and run the other. But i am sure they will run fairly equal. Thanks for the input.

rich
02-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Yeah, i gues in theory if both danks draw down equally then only one tank needs to have a sending unit - whatever the level is in that tank should be the level in the other tank. But by having shut off valves on each tank, if you ever have one go empty before the other than just isolate the empty tank with the shut off and run the other. But i am sure they will run fairly equal. Thanks for the input.
you can order a fuel block from c p performance marine.com it has a L & R or both tanks and off position, if you want them to draw close to even you will have to make sure both fuel lines are the same distance going to the fuel block if not one tank will draw faster than the other.I have this setup on mine works great. hope this helps you can p.m me i'll give you my # if you need more help