PDA

View Full Version : measuring tounge weight

707dog
04-27-2007, 05:44 AM
after reading the WD thread it reminded me about balancing my boat weight on the trailer...my issue is at around 60-65 it sometimes wants to sway until i drop down to about 45-50 most of the time its when im on a a decline but it has happined on the flats also....i was told twice that my tounge weight is not enough and its over the back axle(tandom axle) to much or vise versa...i notice it changes depending on how much fuel i have in the boat..........
whats the mathmatics for calculating tounge weight???

CastaicPiper
04-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Like said you need to go to a scale. You should have 8-10% on the tongue. Weight the full trailer without the rig then weight with just the tongue or jack on the scale.

shrek
04-29-2007, 10:34 PM
after reading the WD thread it reminded me about balancing my boat weight on the trailer...my issue is at around 60-65 it sometimes wants to sway until i drop down to about 45-50 most of the time its when im on a a decline but it has happined on the flats also....i was told twice that my tounge weight is not enough and its over the back axle(tandom axle) to much or vise versa...i notice it changes depending on how much fuel i have in the boat..........
whats the mathmatics for calculating tounge weight???
How does your trailer sit when attached to your truck?
Is it parallel to the ground?
Tilted up at the front?
Tilted down at the front?
It should be just a little nose down to tow correctly.......look at that before you start messing with a scale......
Shrek

YeLLowBoaT
04-29-2007, 10:36 PM
or you could just go the speed limit of 55 mph when towing.

Kachina26
04-29-2007, 10:50 PM
or you could just go the speed limit of 55 mph when towing.
What if he goes outside of The People's Republic of California, where towing speeds are the same as regular speeds? Somehow it's safe to do 75 once you hit the AZ border.

707dog
05-01-2007, 06:43 AM
ill check that trailer tounge height today!! i think it might sit level or just slightly tilted back ...ill give that a look and go from there...thanks for all the input..as far as speed goes there a few hills on the way to the lakes i got to that have a really long and good incline and decline and i try not ride the shit outa the breaks so when i coast i tend to go over the 55 mph limit.....

shrek
05-01-2007, 06:49 AM
ill check that trailer tounge height today!! i think it might sit level or just slightly tilted back ...ill give that a look and go from there...thanks for all the input..as far as speed goes there a few hills on the way to the lakes i got to that have a really long and good incline and decline and i try not ride the shit outa the breaks so when i coast i tend to go over the 55 mph limit.....
Definitely check that.........If it is tilted up, it will tow like crap.......
Shrek

Zaairman
05-01-2007, 10:18 PM
What if he goes outside of The People's Republic of California, where towing speeds are the same as regular speeds? Somehow it's safe to do 75 once you hit the AZ border.
Only 75 mph? :devil: