PDA

View Full Version : Buying and selling tickets

XtrmWakeborder
04-27-2007, 11:25 AM
Anyone buy and sell tickets for profit? My buddy just told me he make 9k last year on two rosebowl tickets, and it got me interested. Is there very much risk involved?
David

SHOTKALLIN
04-27-2007, 11:41 AM
I have a friend that maxes out credit cards every year on Chicago Cubs tickets. Only the good games like vs. Yankees, Red Sox...etc. He makes his Vacation money that way. Risk? I dunno?

XtrmWakeborder
04-27-2007, 11:43 AM
I have a friend that maxes out credit cards every year on Chicago Cubs tickets. Only the good games like vs. Yankees, Red Sox...etc. He makes his Vacation money that way. Risk? I dunno?
Haha I wouldn't invest using debt, I have a bit of "expendable" cash.

Trailer Park Casanova
04-27-2007, 11:53 AM
I have a friends that does it.
He's close with Hotel Consiege's (gives them a vig for their help), and forums like this one so he is active and can keep them moving.
Amazing what people are willing to pay.

Hotcobra270
04-27-2007, 11:58 AM
I'm looking for some Sun vs lakers tick for game 4.. Any hook ups?

Mandelon
04-27-2007, 12:53 PM
Is it legal....not that I care, but scalping in some towns could get you a weekend in the pokey, No? :confused:

CARLSON-JET
04-27-2007, 01:49 PM
Scalping died around the same time as standing in line the day before tickets go on sale and getting front row seats...:mad: Ahhh, The good Ol' days..

redi4fun
04-27-2007, 03:36 PM
I have a funny story about that. I had some good USC vs TEXAS Rose bowl seats fall into my lap and I didn't really want to go so I put up a listing in a few places in Texas as well as here. Within the day I was being offered an OBSSSSCCCEEENNNEEE amount of cash for them. Thought someone was trying to scam me because the offer was that obscene. Turns out the guy that bought them was a Texas Alumni and though for sure he could get his hands on a pair, he was wrong. He promised a huge client that he would get him tickets for the game. That is where I came to the rescue. He wired the money directly to me. I sent the tickets next day air. Even when I had the cash in hand I swear I was waiting for the cops to bust in and arrest me. I totally felt like I robbed the guy. When I called to make sure he had the tickets he thanked me for being so honest and said not to worry that the amount he paid for the tickets was a write off and that this client was worth way more to him then what he paid. I paid face value for the 2 ticket plus all the normal fees somewhere around 500 bucks. This guy paid me thousands for each ticket!!!!!!!!!!!!
Would I do it again, sure:D
Would I do it on a daily basis, hell no, way to nerve racking.;)

XtrmWakeborder
04-27-2007, 04:46 PM
I don't know how it could be illegal... people do it all the time on ebay and stubhub. Any cops?

BRSTQUEST
04-27-2007, 04:50 PM
I think the scalping laws usually have to do with selling tix on the grounds of the event for more than face value. Most of the laws are city/county codes which are different from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Hell if ticketmaster can sell for a profit why can't we all. I guess we should just call our profit a "service charge."

Howie Feltersnatch
04-27-2007, 04:52 PM
It's legal.
When I was in high school (in the 70's) there was a guy in my class who barely showed up, looked like hell all the time & slept whenever he did show up. Turns out he had a ticket brokerage business & spent his nights riding herd over an army of bums he paid to stand in line for tickets.
I heard a few years later he was a millionaire several times over by the time he was 30. Work hard, go to school ...or not.

Quest4Fun
04-27-2007, 04:54 PM
Sounds like that guy from Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Trailer Park Casanova
04-27-2007, 05:19 PM
It's legal.
Turns out he spent his nights riding herd over an army of bums he paid to stand in line for tickets.
I love that. Post of the year.

OCMerrill
04-27-2007, 05:30 PM
I bought Concert tickets on Ebay more than once. I wait for the novice that has a 4:30 am ending time, swoop in and grab them up. Such a deal.:rolleyes:
Remember the old days when you could spend the night in front of Music + and be pretty assured of decent seats.
That exists no more. Even if your first on the TM website you get crap and then they're all gone. To much pre sale going to agencies and the like.
So the only real way to assure yourself good seats or seats at all is to pay up.
So if I had them to sell I would not feel the least bit bad about turning a profit.

Howie Feltersnatch
04-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Probably cheaper (& more fun) to fly to Europe & hit the festival circuit which is still going great over there. A shame we let greed ruin it here.