PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgia Races Set for July with more Rookies

CircleJerk
07-04-2002, 08:52 AM
July 20-21 is our next race at Scootney Reservoir. This is 10 miles south of Othello Wa. which is just 30 miles south of Moses Lake Wa. This is a huge state park campground with no trees to distort the view of the race. It has dual concrete launch ramps and a third exit ramp like Firebird. I anticipate a dozen racers and additional rookie drivers. The Fred Wickens 1965 long deck should make its debut with a new driver familar to offshore racing. His blown Scarab will not handle the same as this Lingenfelter powered flattie, so he will have his hands full. It should be an interesting Rookie dual with Jim's SS83 Lavey-Craft joining the battle as well as Deans rear deck Lavey E boat there to stir the pot! All of the six Rookies from the first race should return so this could produce a field of 18 and three rookies bringing up the rear. Thank you one and all for spreading the word about our new racing series. I believe that with the Hot Boat article and word of mouth advertising, we will be the most talked about form of circle racing, with the exception of the popular capsule rule dialogue. Oh ya, the latest rumor has a Florida race club thinking about inviting old V-drive Flats! We are now the fastest growing club within the American Outboard Federation with over 90 members in the Northwest! WOW! See ya at the drivers meeting at 9am racing at 11! Safety passes and Rookie laps at 10am. Note: if you dont make the drivers meeting, you dont race! Circle Jerk

jim davis
07-05-2002, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by CircleJerk:
July 20-21 is our next race at Scootney Reservoir. This is 10 miles south of Othello Wa. which is just 30 miles south of Moses Lake Wa. This is a huge state park campground with no trees to distort the view of the race. It has dual concrete launch ramps and a third exit ramp like Firebird. I anticipate a dozen racers and additional rookie drivers. The Fred Wickens 1965 long deck should make its debut with a new driver familar to offshore racing. His blown Scarab will not handle the same as this Lingenfelter powered flattie, so he will have his hands full. It should be an interesting Rookie dual with Jim's SS83 Lavey-Craft joining the battle as well as Deans rear deck Lavey E boat there to stir the pot! All of the six Rookies from the first race should return so this could produce a field of 18 and three rookies bringing up the rear. Thank you one and all for spreading the word about our new racing series. I believe that with the Hot Boat article and word of mouth advertising, we will be the most talked about form of circle racing, with the exception of the popular capsule rule dialogue. Oh ya, the latest rumor has a Florida race club thinking about inviting old V-drive Flats! We are now the fastest growing club within the American Outboard Federation with over 90 members in the Northwest! WOW! See ya at the drivers meeting at 9am racing at 11! Safety passes and Rookie laps at 10am. Note: if you dont make the drivers meeting, you dont race! Circle Jerk

LeE ss13
07-05-2002, 06:47 AM
How will the saftey requirements compare with APBA, especially with the SS class?? Whirl-a-ways, floatation, the new external propshaft safety collar? Will the engine cubic inches for that class be the same? .060 over 427 with JE pistons stock ignitions, flat tappet camshafts and 830 cfm carbs? Do you break down the fields like "A, B,C", qualifiying, Main and last chance qualifier? It sounds like you are having lots of fun up there.
--------
LeE ss13

CircleJerk
07-05-2002, 08:00 AM
LeE13ss, The idea last year was to establish a class of racing that included everyone with a flattie. Those SS rules were basically thrown out for engine limits. Since not all of our racers have old former circle boats, we tried to come up with rules that could include all 16-19 foot flats. Most of us run L.H. props and few have whirlaways. We do recommend them for the faster class. Right now we have two classes called Circle,Ski-boat,and the new class:Pure Nostalgic. You qualify for each class by meeting the safety requirements and then timing in with six others. Instead of Burley like qualifying, our computer times each boats average 3 lap speed for a 3\4 oval, thus creating 2 or more classes. The problem we're having is the huge number of entries and only 6 boats can compete on the course at one time. We dont want elimination heats because the losers would not run 2 heats per day. We want everyone to have the same water time for the fun of it. The new Nostalgic heat may include the 6 oldest with period correct engines. This would be the feature race of the event. Talk from down south favors this idea and boats could re-set old records at our Moses Lake Record Regatta in Sept 21. It would also emphasize slower safer boats that spectators love to see once more. Remember, we cant exceed 80 mph average lap speed for insurance purposes which, in my opinion makes us safer but no less spectator exciting. Thats still a pretty fast pace that no one has breached. Lastly, 500 cubic inches is our limit and we have additional safety rules that APBA does not! If anyone is interested I can post or email our rule list. You're very correct, we're having more fun than ever and the VIPs present at our last race say," This is like it was back when"! "Long live the nostalgic flat bottom",Jerkster.

CircleJerk
07-05-2002, 08:08 AM
Sorry, We do require floatation, inner tube or foam up front unless it is sealed. The safety collars are also needed on the rudder, steering shaft and prop shaft in one or more locations depending on the boat. Where do you get the new tapered collar for the bottom? I have tried to make some that would still allow for water lubrication to reach the strut.

jim davis
07-05-2002, 11:36 AM
As crew chief of the 006 Hondo I have found the boys in Washington State have it figured out pretty well. Everybody is a winner if he is having fun with other people of the same interests. Love the old slower boats , may decide to run one myself. Closest racing a lot of the spectators have seen since the seventy's.