PDA

View Full Version : Carmax

RJ Nordic
04-27-2007, 08:56 PM
Saw a car on the internet that they have that looked interesting. Has anyone delt with them on buying a car? Is there price really firm? Feed back would be helpful, thanks in advance

YeLLowBoaT
04-27-2007, 08:56 PM
thier prices suck and they will not haggle.

Billdoe
04-27-2007, 09:18 PM
i bought a truck from them around thanks giving this last year .. decent price but what a P.O.S it is .. its a 2001 ranger with the OHC 4.0 5 speed auto ... with 56K miles . so far within 1 month of buying it ive had the trans rebuilt , the rear axle gears and bearings and posi replaced , both front wheel hub bearings replaced and now at 69K miles it has a Catalyst converter plugging up and has drivetrane problems ... after talking to a couple friends that are Mechanics at near by dealers he tells me the used cars Carmax usually get are hand me downs from other dealers something that wouldnt pass there instection so they pass it on .. i was in a rental car for 31 days the first 40 days i owned it .. the 5 days were up and i started noticing things gradually failing on the truck they offered to buy it back for 3K less then i paid them 15 days earlier . so here i got stuck with a POS truck that im constantly takin back to them to fix ... good thing for the extended warranty or i be really fawked ... i wont buy from them again

Invisible Sun
04-27-2007, 10:31 PM
Not a personal advocate for Carmax, but it's hard to catch everything wrong with a trade in, especially a Ford. Best thing to do is have any car checked by a third party (particularly the dealer on a newer car) prior to purchasing it. Spend the $100 to check it out. I wouldn't necessarily have them do the repairs, but at least have them check it out! They will do there best to check and see if all the common failures are occuring to the car you are thinking about purchasing, hoping to make some money. Take that estimate to your favorite local shop and see what they do the work for. I know that sounds like a drawn out process, but this way you really know what you are in for.
S
i bought a truck from them around thanks giving this last year .. decent price but what a P.O.S it is .. its a 2001 ranger with the OHC 4.0 5 speed auto ... with 56K miles . so far within 1 month of buying it ive had the trans rebuilt , the rear axle gears and bearings and posi replaced , both front wheel hub bearings replaced and now at 69K miles it has a Catalyst converter plugging up and has drivetrane problems ... after talking to a couple friends that are Mechanics at near by dealers he tells me the used cars Carmax usually get are hand me downs from other dealers something that wouldnt pass there instection so they pass it on .. i was in a rental car for 31 days the first 40 days i owned it .. the 5 days were up and i started noticing things gradually failing on the truck they offered to buy it back for 3K less then i paid them 15 days earlier . so here i got stuck with a POS truck that im constantly takin back to them to fix ... good thing for the extended warranty or i be really fawked ... i wont buy from them again

Billdoe
04-29-2007, 09:29 AM
well they should of caught a couple the problems with it . i told them on the test drive it had front wheel bearings bad . they said they would check it out and Rebuilt the rear axle instead of the front bearing so the following week took it back and had them replace the front bearrings then the next week i went to tow my boat put it in 1st gear (auto Trans) and the truck took off like a raped ape down the hill was like i was Coasting in neutral ....they should have noticed something wrong with it if they test drive them . anyway its cheaper with my warranty for them to do the work then someone else and they been makin good on the warranty work but its just a pain in the ass buying a POS and having to deal with all the repairs.... specially when you pay good money for a POS ... but honestly i wouldnt buy from them again there customer service after you buy from them isnt that great (management that is) ... they basically told me they wouldnt do nothing about it except keep fixxing it ... i had a Lemon law case started and they told me i start a lemon case against them and they wont do a thing about it unless they lose the case and stopped talking to me about the vehicle .. but really to have 2 different guys at 2 different dealerships that i know tell me Carmax buys all there cars that dont pass there thurough inspection kinda leads me to believe they dont care what they sell and push buying the warranty with it . well thats how i felt dealing with them

SMFRiverRat
04-29-2007, 09:57 AM
We are on our third car from Carmax. Two trucks (one 7.3 diesel) and a Infinity FX45.. Never had a problem with any of them. Prices are what they are. Everything up front, 3 free days to shop the loan(if you finance) and 5 day return policy. Tough to find that at a conventional dealer. You will not find many of the sales reps that know much about the individual cars/trucks but if you know what you want (like Fry's), its is a super easy transaction.

H20Advantage
04-29-2007, 10:09 AM
We bought a used VW for my daughter from them. It had a gearslip in the transmission and they rebuilt it no problem. The car has been great since.
The sales people are no pressure and we had my daughter (16) deal with the salesman while we sat along with her to allow her the true experience of car buying. It was funny tho because afterwards she told us she wanted to haggle on the price and they don't do that.