PDA

View Full Version : couple questions

dwmmatt23
04-28-2007, 11:35 AM
okay couple things. got engine fired but havent takin for a ride yet. first thing isthe guy i got it from said you turned the key and pushed button to start it so he took out the push button and wired it to key only but now it starts but when you turn key off engine wont shut off. second is the new gauges i put in look great but the temp gauge when put in was pinned all the way to 240 so i figured when i started engine it would reset back down but never did, which drings me to third question, how can i tell if engine is gettin water pumped through to cool it? i posted befor that cooling system was alittle clogged but clean out best i could. exhaust outlet was under water when fired it on trailer so couldnt tell if water was comming out. any help or ideas on any of the above? other than that it sounded awesome

hallett72
04-28-2007, 10:50 PM
Well i can't really help you with you 2nd and 3rd problems. But i have an answer for your first problem. The alternator depending on how it is wired could be sending power back to you ignition system causing a run on problem. Here is a diagram i have from Painless Wiring from when i had this problem with my Hotrod.

QuickJet
04-29-2007, 12:15 AM
Is the Temp gauge electric or manual?

centerhill condor
04-29-2007, 04:24 AM
what he said on the ignition run on.
I'm bettin' the gauge is electric and you have a short to ground somewhere.
with the engine running feel the hoses that dump to the rear of the exhaust. if the hoses get warm you're gettin' flow. This should happen relatively quickly after you start (a min or two). without flow the hoses won't get warm but you will hear the water near the pan boil on the outside....then you know she's a hot one!

dwmmatt23
04-29-2007, 08:50 AM
Is the Temp gauge electric or manual?
electric, it was at that level when i took out of box to install.

dwmmatt23
04-29-2007, 08:53 AM
Well i can't really help you with you 2nd and 3rd problems. But i have an answer for your first problem. The alternator depending on how it is wired could be sending power back to you ignition system causing a run on problem. Here is a diagram i have from Painless Wiring from when i had this problem with my Hotrod.
okay well heres another question then, the alternator i replaced was a motorola single wire, i switched with a delco two wire, i was told to run the red wire to the possitive on alternator and the other white wire to the single wire the alternator was originaly hooked up to. is this correct? or anbody know the correct way? jetaholic told me more than likely just ignition switch since it was originally wired for push button start