PDA

View Full Version : Briggs and Stratton Help

Taylorman
04-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Alright guys, i can rebuild a big block but im clueless about a Briggs and Stratton engine. Heres my deal. I stored my Generator at my step dads house last year and asked him to start it once a month, which he did not do. So carb was a little gumed up and it had a little miss. It wasn't to bad so i left it alone. No it runs wide open all the time. It does not have a manual throttle, there is a long arm connected to the throttle on the carb which has a spring connected to it. This i guess regulates the engine speed. I have no idea how it works. So recently when i would start the engine it would run wide open, faster than it use to when it was new. So i pull the carb off today, it had some varnish on it and the throttle was had to open and close. I soaked it in carb cleaner and gave it a good cleaning. I did not pull the jets out, just put the whole carb in cleaner. Pulled it out and blew it out good with air. Throttle opens nice and smooth again. Put it back together and it still runs wide open. What to do?

Fiat48
04-28-2007, 08:41 PM
The lever the carb hooks to is a governor. Most generators fire up and run at governed speed. Evidently yours has some idle down provision or load sensing provision. Disconnect the governor and control the throttle manually and see how it runs low and part throttle. Go from there.

HOSS
04-28-2007, 11:10 PM
You may not have the needle set right, the lil clip slides off. You may have also blow out the seat for the needle. If all else fails, you could have a pin hole or leak in the primer bulb. I hope you put the rod for governor in right spot and not binding on return spring.

Nucking futs
04-29-2007, 08:51 AM
Adjusting the main jet will only affect surging with the engine. It will make no differance on the fast speed,and most of the new junk you cant mess with it anyways.It could be a ton of other issues but it sounds like the governor is out of wack.
Was the governor linkage or arm bumped with anything? You may want to clean the mainjet. It could also be that the generator has lost its charge and needs to be flashed. But if you want to adjust the gov. rod to spec, just loosen the bolt on the rod, hold the carb wide open and turn the gonernor shaft (where the arm is attached) clockwise and then tighten. If it peggs the throttle try it conterclockwise. There are so many small engines that differ I forget. But that will set it to factory settings and then you can work with the carb. Also check that the governor spring is not stretched and in the right location.

bocco
04-30-2007, 12:24 PM
Fiat48 has it. The spring should be a very light spring and it is probably set to pull the carb wide open. The solid wire link goes to a sheet metal piece that pivots down lower on the side of the block. Parts of the sheet metal piece will be pushed on by a centrifigul dodad under the flywheel or it may just be air from the cooling vains on the flywheel. Either way that's what pulls back against the spring to hold the speed down.