PDA

View Full Version : First to the card stop?

XtrmWakeborder
04-28-2007, 09:50 PM
Anyone know?

HighRoller
04-28-2007, 10:01 PM
I think the guy with the highest poker hand wins. Getting to the card stop first means nothing.

TheCarDudes
04-28-2007, 10:06 PM
I think the guy with the highest poker hand wins. Getting to the card stop first means nothing.
You are absolutely correct. The best hand wins the purse. But, ask anyone out there, being #1 to the first card stop means more to these guys (for the ones who are trying). They are simply flexing their horsepower muscles and that costs mucho $$$. That purse is a drop in the bucket for what it costs these guys to be #1.
BTW, I'm pretty sure it was Team CRC. They were first to pass our safety check point on both passes.

XtrmWakeborder
04-28-2007, 10:07 PM
right.... anyways:rolleyes:

fstlayn
04-28-2007, 10:14 PM
It was Team CRC. Predator was in pursuit, but had some sort of trouble. He came limping back from the first stop and finally died right across from the pumping station and had to be towed in.

Throttle
04-29-2007, 07:38 AM
CRC came down to first...
then Predator, he was a few hundred yards behind...
I towed Predator to the Nautical, after I towed Gibson to the lower end of the springs.

Hardly Satisfied
04-29-2007, 07:57 AM
You are absolutely correct. The best hand wins the purse. But, ask anyone out there, being #1 to the first card stop means more to these guys (for the ones who are trying). They are simply flexing their horsepower muscles and that costs mucho $$$. That purse is a drop in the bucket for what it costs these guys to be #1.
BTW, I'm pretty sure it was Team CRC. They were first to pass our safety check point on both passes.
George it's time for you to beef up that 25ft boat you have just sitting around :D

TheCarDudes
04-29-2007, 07:59 AM
George it's time for you to beef up that 25ft boat you have just sitting around :D
Hopefully it won't be sitting around for much longer. ;)

XtrmWakeborder
04-29-2007, 09:15 AM
What happened to the 200mph turbine skaters and stuff?! Looks like crc is the new king.

Pete454
04-29-2007, 01:37 PM
Great running boat, with Mercury Racing 850's. Currently second in the OSS Supercat 850 standings behind Page Motorsports/Hard Rock/Hooters racing!
Next stop Pickwick Tennessee, home of Pier 57, which CRC has had a lot of good runs at.

skater40
04-29-2007, 02:08 PM
Great running boat, with Mercury Racing 850's. Currently second in the OSS Supercat 850 standings behind Page Motorsports/Hard Rock/Hooters racing!
Next stop Pickwick Tennessee, home of Pier 57, which CRC has had a lot of good runs at.
He put the merc 1200s in for the poker run.Hes probably pretty busy right now putting the 850s back in for pickwick.

OGShocker
04-29-2007, 02:41 PM
I towed Predator to the Nautical, after I towed Gibson to the lower end of the springs.
Why in God's name would you pull him to the Nautical? That must have taken you three hours or more.
You, my friend, are a better man than I!

AZJD
04-29-2007, 04:09 PM
He put the merc 1200s in for the poker run.Hes probably pretty busy right now putting the 850s back in for pickwick.
What ever he was running he was haulin ass! That boat was moving!!!

Brian
04-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Gary, sorry about your trouble. What happened? You guys were MOVIN when you came by us just south of Steamboat!

Jokers Wild Havasu
04-29-2007, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the tow Camron, I was worried that we were going to be floating around out there for a while but the safety boats were on the ball. We had two boats helping out as soon as we slowed down.
Thanks to Jim Nichols and his crew for putting on another awesome event and the Gibson Family for letting me drive their boat with Shawn Gibson on the throttles.
Todd
Jokers Wild Promotions

Jordy
04-29-2007, 08:39 PM
Thanks to Jim Nichols and his crew for putting on another awesome event and the Gibson Family for letting me drive their boat with Shawn Gibson on the throttles.
Todd
Jokers Wild Promotions
Great seeing you guys out there Todd. Seems as though Shawn had a bit of an exciting weekend, but did make it home tonight in one piece. :D :D :D
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/23havasu_poker_run_017-med.jpg

Kilrtoy
04-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Predator jumped the flag drop and was out front
PERDATOR was about about 100 yards behind CRC
by the Copper Canyon
CRC had a 1/4 mile lead and was running 193MPH by the Hot Boat raft up and at the end CRC WAS KING AGAIN
CRC was toying with Predator
STORY OVER

MR.rvrluvr
04-29-2007, 08:52 PM
Team CRC was 2nd place!!!!!!!
Fast Freddy was at the Turtle drinking a beer waiting for everyone to catch up.......:D :D

bignet
04-29-2007, 08:53 PM
TeamCRC was kicking some serious ass when he was going by us at Black Meadows Landing! 193mph is the word around the campfire.:devil:
That chopper was struggling trying to keep up.
bignet

Spotondl
04-29-2007, 10:24 PM
TeamCRC was kicking some serious ass when he was going by us at Black Meadows Landing! 193mph is the word around the campfire.:devil:
That chopper was struggling trying to keep up.
bignet
If the chopper was keeping up, CRC wasn't anywhere near 193... :idea:
With the Merc 1200's in there I am sure that they DID hit at least 193 at some points... :D

Jokers Wild Havasu
04-30-2007, 06:09 AM
Great seeing you guys out there Todd. Seems as though Shawn had a bit of an exciting weekend, but did make it home tonight in one piece. :D :D :D
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/23havasu_poker_run_017-med.jpg
There was never a dull moment this weekend, I was glad that I wasn't towing the boat in to Havasu. Shawn got nailed by the CHP on the way in with the boat, Boat trouble just before the first card stop then a little truck trouble on the way home. We definetly had a good time on the poker run that was a blast, we almost made it to the first stop. We noticed a problem with one of the engines just past the pump station before the Springs and had to shut down.
Todd
Jokers Wild Promotions

Brian
04-30-2007, 04:50 PM
by the Copper Canyon
CRC had a 1/4 mile lead and was running 193MPH by the Hot Boat raft up and at the end CRC WAS KING AGAIN
CRC was toying with Predator
STORY OVER
Why are you SHOUTING? You have some sort of issue with Predator?
:idea:

playdeep
04-30-2007, 05:36 PM
...When they came by us it was CRC,followed by Mr. Sweeper about 10-12 boat lengths back...Predator was back in 5th or 6th...for him to jump the start,fall that far back and end up 2nd. dosn't make sense...
He made up a LOT of distance to end up 2nd..

skater40
04-30-2007, 05:48 PM
If the chopper was keeping up, CRC wasn't anywhere near 193... :idea:
With the Merc 1200's in there I am sure that they DID hit at least 193 at some points... :D
193 was naked turtle gossip.The helicopter had no trouble keeping up as did the first four to the card stop.Tunnel Vision,a 36 spectre piloted by Tim and Cheryl Dey was fourth at 141 mph and sweeper was third at 150mph.Trust me when say he never went over 160mph on the way down.What he did on the way back is speculation as it was rough as hell with all the poker run boats heading south.I challenge him to pst his gps readings as back up-like Dan Cruse did on his run with JT at lake mead.

Jbb
04-30-2007, 06:02 PM
193 was naked turtle gossip.The helicopter had no trouble keeping up as did the first four to the card stop.Tunnel Vision,a 36 spectre piloted by Tim and Cheryl Dey was fourth at 141 mph and sweeper was third at 150mph.Trust me when say he never went over 160mph on the way down.What he did on the way back is speculation as it was rough as hell with all the poker run boats heading south.I challenge him to pst his gps readings as back up-like Dan Cruse did on his run with JT at lake mead.
Now wer're talkin...throwin down.........:D ...I like your style!!!...:D

Throttle
04-30-2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the tow Camron, I was worried that we were going to be floating around out there for a while but the safety boats were on the ball. We had two boats helping out as soon as we slowed down.
Todd
Jokers Wild Promotions
you are welcome Todd, it was nice to meet Shawn, look forward to seein you soon.:D

OnlyMoney
04-30-2007, 08:22 PM
yes i did i have gone faster than that before with six people on board
Looks like someone had selective hearing and also didn't read his paperwork. :idea: BUSTED! :)

Spotondl
04-30-2007, 08:43 PM
by the Copper Canyon
CRC had a 1/4 mile lead and was running 193MPH by the Hot Boat raft up
This guy has the power to write speeding tickets??? :confused: :confused: :confused: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Spotondl
04-30-2007, 08:47 PM
i was listening, i know the rules, the 110mph its to protect them from being sued, if any thing happened my passengers can not go after lake racer, oh i wasn't the only one with more passengers, so before you start typing about something your not sure about ask
You are correct, your passengers would not be able to go after Lake Racer... their next of kin, however, would have a field day...

melbatoast
04-30-2007, 08:49 PM
I'm not gonna waist my time on you, fk off
Thats what i thought. Just admit you don't care about anyone but yourself. You will never be able to justify what you have already said. Please be my guest and suck a bag-o-di*ks. You fat tub of shiat.

BadKachina
04-30-2007, 08:55 PM
Thats what i thought. Just admit you don't care about anyone but yourself. You will never be able to justify what you have already said. Please be my guest and suck a bag-o-di*ks. You fat tub of shiat.
You forgot "unless he appologizes.";)

melbatoast
04-30-2007, 09:00 PM
You forgot "unless he appologizes.";)
he wont appologize he is so above that. pigs fly, snowballs in hell. He still won't admit wrong doing. Way too cool for that. Didn't you see all there matching shirts? Thats like FANZI COOL.

Phat Matt
04-30-2007, 09:33 PM
:sqeyes:

XtrmWakeborder
04-30-2007, 09:52 PM
You were doin' 144....... didn't you have like 6 people total in your boat?
Are you the poker run police, or do you just like starting shit?

melbatoast
04-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Are you the poker run police, or do you just like starting shit?
I'm not surewhere you are going with this. But i'll play along for some fun.

dicudmore
04-30-2007, 10:00 PM
so at the drivers meeting when they said there was a 110 mph limit for boats with more than 1 passenger that didn't apply to you? Or you weren't listening, maybe you didn't attend the mandatory meeting. At least you admit you think you are above the rules.
was he the only one over the 110 limit with back seat passengers?? I didn't have a radar gun out BUT I DOUBT IT

dicudmore
04-30-2007, 10:04 PM
I second that...no way that CRC boat was running that fast...

melbatoast
04-30-2007, 10:11 PM
was he the only one over the 110 limit with back seat passengers?? I didn't have a radar gun out BUT I DOUBT IT
The point isn't the fact that he wasn't the only one. The point is that he openly admitted he broke the rules. The rules were there for a reason and they worked to keep everyone safe. We ran side x side with dustin whipple he had 4 passengers and never broke the 110 mph limit and his boat is more than able to do so. It didn't look very hard for the rest of the boats in our group to follow that rule either.

HavasuSelect
04-30-2007, 10:16 PM
What part is hard for you to understand. The speed limit for multi-passenger boats was 110. Not for law suits for safety. Figure it out a-hole. Before you start typing why don't you make sure your not gonna admit by accident that you are to cool for the rules. You'd think when a guy is crying at the drivers meeting over nashville cats that would strike a cord with you. You may have surpassed Dr. EVIL AS THE BIGGEST A-HOLE ON THE LAKE THIS WEEKEND. I'm sure Teague was just suggesting the speedlimit when he was talking. He said it at least 100 times.
The point isn't the fact that he wasn't the only one. The point is that he openly admitted he broke the rules. The rules were there for a reason and they worked to keep everyone safe. We ran side x side with dustin whipple he had 4 passengers and never broke the 110 mph limit and his boat is more than able to do so. It didn't look very hard for the rest of the boats in our group to follow that rule either.
So becuase he admitted to breaking the rules he's the "biggest asshole on the lake"? Would you rather he lie to you?

melbatoast
04-30-2007, 10:33 PM
So becuase he admitted to breaking the rules he's the "biggest asshole on the lake"? Would you rather he lie to you?
Were you at the drivers meeting? And i would rather he followed the rules laid out to him. Insurance is expensive enough and the companies laid down the 110 mph rule if more than one passenger was onboard. So things like this effect us all.

Magic34
04-30-2007, 10:42 PM
I am so glad I dont have to worry about these big speed numbers any more now that I have my cruiser.
Wait, my last boat was a Magic... Didn't have to worry about it then either. :D

skater40
05-01-2007, 12:37 AM
He wasnt the only one who either didnt attend the drivers meeting or flat didnt care.The signature alert 36 skater with the fugly 3 canopies had at least 6 people in their boat and ran right along side safa 1 at 140 plus.
The drivers meeting also talked about the 50 mph speed limit at copper canyon to pilot rock which nobody but predator slowed down for.Considering that we caught the pack and was only 150 yards behind crc at the card stop,wasnt to bad.
A lot of other bs went on like Bob Teaque racing another boat to the second card stop and approaching the card boat on the port side trying to cut in line of the boats approaching from the stern side.The event guide on page 16 had a descrription and photos for those who cant read and it was described in detail at the drivers meeting.He then races back to thompson bay and lets of the gas 100 yards before the buoys and proceeds to slide on thru at major wake speed.

skater40
05-01-2007, 12:41 AM
What part is hard for you to understand. The speed limit for multi-passenger boats was 110. Not for law suits for safety. Figure it out a-hole. Before you start typing why don't you make sure your not gonna admit by accident that you are to cool for the rules. You'd think when a guy is crying at the drivers meeting over nashville cats that would strike a cord with you. You may have surpassed Dr. EVIL AS THE BIGGEST A-HOLE ON THE LAKE THIS WEEKEND. I'm sure Teague was just suggesting the speedlimit when he was talking. He said it at least 100 times.
What did Dr Evil do now?:rolleyes:

Jbb
05-01-2007, 02:06 AM
:D :D :D .......nice.....obviously a member of the Lake Havasu welcoming committe ...

Magic34
05-01-2007, 07:57 AM
You missed the build up to the run about the safety or lack thereof the name mentioned above.

AZJD
05-01-2007, 08:00 AM
He wasnt the only one who either didnt attend the drivers meeting or flat didnt care.The signature alert 36 skater with the fugly 3 canopies had at least 6 people in their boat and ran right along side safa 1 at 140 plus.
The drivers meeting also talked about the 50 mph speed limit at copper canyon to pilot rock which nobody but predator slowed down for.Considering that we caught the pack and was only 150 yards behind crc at the card stop,wasnt to bad.
A lot of other bs went on like Bob Teaque racing another boat to the second card stop and approaching the card boat on the port side trying to cut in line of the boats approaching from the stern side.The event guide on page 16 had a descrription and photos for those who cant read and it was described in detail at the drivers meeting.He then races back to thompson bay and lets of the gas 100 yards before the buoys and proceeds to slide on thru at major wake speed.
Not to condone his driving, but did anyone see how fast the 32DCB was. Holy christ! It came by us moving on the way to the first card stop.

OnlyMoney
05-01-2007, 08:05 AM
You missed the build up to the run about the safety or lack thereof the name mentioned above.
Wow, that's your boat in your siggy? We've been salivating over that thing for a few weeks! Nice! :D

ChumpChange
05-01-2007, 08:15 AM
Broke something and limped back. :eek:

Jordy
05-01-2007, 08:15 AM
A lot of other bs went on like Bob Teaque racing another boat to the second card stop and approaching the card boat on the port side trying to cut in line of the boats approaching from the stern side.
C'mon now Gary, not Bob Teague??? He spent a good portion of the safety meeting talking about how this clearly isn't a race (just like years in the past, followed by the declaration of "$1,000 for the first boat to the card stop"). Then again, he is Bob Teague and is huge somewhere so the rules don't apply to him, or Chuck Norris for that matter... :notam: :rolleyes: :D
He then races back to thompson bay and lets of the gas 100 yards before the buoys and proceeds to slide on thru at major wake speed.
Again, I'm having a hard time buying this. Then again, a couple years ago he came blazing into the LAKE HAVASU MARINA half on plane, after all his "Boycott the Marina" talk. :)
Guess the moral of the story is "Do as Bob says, not as Bob does..." :notam: :D

Magic34
05-01-2007, 08:23 AM
Wow, that's your boat in your siggy? We've been salivating over that thing for a few weeks! Nice! :D
Thanks. Formula 370SS. I thought this might be the way to go for a while as I can trailer it and take it anywhere.

ChumpChange
05-01-2007, 08:27 AM
Trust me when say he never went over 160mph on the way down.What he did on the way back is speculation as it was rough as hell with all the poker run boats heading south.I challenge him to pst his gps readings as back up-like Dan Cruse did on his run with JT at lake mead.
I can't tell you how fast he was going but I'll let you know that looking head on into the tunnel of that boat, the only part touching the water was the two props and even then with the chop, I think only one was touching at a time as it danced back and forth.
I was in the middle of the lake trying to get a broken down Chapparel out of the way when they came running back up. Buzzing by me at 50 yards, those guys were FLYING!!!

Dave C
05-01-2007, 08:40 AM
I like watching the ballers duke it out.... :eek: :D
carry on....

C-2
05-01-2007, 08:50 AM
Melba, Gary, Safa and anybody else…..just an observation – the insurance companies and USCG monitor these threads, please remember that ;)
It was a safe event, let’s enjoy that fact. Despite all the bickering you guys did an outstanding job of keeping it safe. This was, without a doubt, the most intense run ever. All you guys did a great job of staying clear of trouble and each other, and most importantly, clear of other boat traffic.
I’ll just say Gary has a consistent history of playing by the rules, and his observations are usually pretty accurate. At the end of the day and I think everybody can agree - those first four to six boats straight hauled the mail!
Personally, I think the spirit of our West Coast poker run is best captured by open-cockpit boats, not canopied race boats.:idea:
Seeing the pictures up with everybody wearing PFD’s – that’s what I’m talking about. :)

spectras only
05-01-2007, 09:20 AM
Melba, Gary, Safa and anybody else…..just an observation – the insurance companies and USCG monitor these threads, please remember that ;)
I was just thinking the same ;) . Wonder if these ballers get their insurance renewed next year :idea: . Maybe taking Prozac before the start next year would alleviate the problem :D
I'd like to get a copy of the 07 DS video though !

Keith E. Sayre
05-01-2007, 09:39 AM
I hope that Gary and Safa don't take offense to how some
treat them here on the boards. Sometimes folks take things a bit far and get a bit passed the line of good fun.
I hope that both of you will return next year and bring more big boats with you. That's what makes this event
worth attending.
And for those that did break the rules, I hope that you feel
badly about it and your punishment is to give community
service at one of the next poker runs by inviting Keith to
ride with you! I'll be there.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

DCBob
05-01-2007, 09:49 AM
I like watching the ballers duke it out.... :eek: :D
carry on....
What he said ;) :)

Jordy
05-01-2007, 09:50 AM
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
Hey Keith, clear out your PM's... :D

skater40
05-01-2007, 10:20 AM
It was a safe event, let’s enjoy that fact. Despite all the bickering you guys did an outstanding job of keeping it safe. This was, without a doubt, the most intense run ever. All you guys did a great job of staying clear of trouble and each other, and most importantly, clear of other boat traffic.
I’ll just say Gary has a consistent history of playing by the rules, and his observations are usually pretty accurate. At the end of the day and I think everybody can agree - those first four to six boats straight hauled the mail!
Personally, I think the spirit of our West Coast poker run is best captured by open-cockpit boats, not canopied race boats.:idea:
Seeing the pictures up with everybody wearing PFD’s – that’s what I’m talking about. :)
c-2 you guys need to enforce your rules and set examples to show every one that you take it serious.Shrugging your shoulders and making light of it does not cut it or this kind of behaviour will continue.

RiverDave
05-01-2007, 10:39 AM
I don't want this to come off the wrong way, becuase I'm all for freedom of choice, and I think people should be able to run as hard as they want in a poker run, and if the passengers got in the boat then that was their choice kinda deal... As in I don't think the next of kin should be able to sue, and skyrocket insurance rates etc.. etc..
But... what exactly do you think a PFD is going to do for someone at 140+? 130+? 120+? Or lets be honest here even 110? 100? 90?
If you get out of a boat doing much better then a 100, then one of those poker run PFD's might increase your odds of survival a little, but your odds of survival still aren't that great. If you get out of a boat doing much better then 120, then that same Poker run vest probably isn't going to do much other then help them find the body (if it's still attached). If your doing over 140, then honestly why bother with a PFD anymore as it's kind of a moot point?
It's not like these guys are gearing up in the full race gear (ballistic pants, real race lifeline PFD's, considering the speeds realistically the parachute style PFD's, driving suits, shoes etc..) and even if they were... It's still no garuantee. I'm not going to name names, but There was a guy in alot better shape then most the people driving the boats in the poker run, geared to the 10's with full race suit, and he died doing a tick over 100 on the Parker strip.. No where near the #'s alot of these guys are putting up.
Bottom line is you run that hard and your rolling the dice if something goes weird.. PFD's might help the odds a bit, but honeslty in a 50/50 situation it might raise that to 55/45 (increasing the slower the speed, decreasing the higher the speed)
RD

C-2
05-01-2007, 11:06 AM
I don't want this to come off the wrong way, becuase I'm all for freedom of choice, and I think people should be able to run as hard as they want in a poker run, and if the passengers got in the boat then that was their choice kinda deal... As in I don't think the next of kin should be able to sue, and skyrocket insurance rates etc.. etc..
But... what exactly do you think a PFD is going to do for someone at 140+? 130+? 120+? Or lets be honest here even 110? 100? 90?
If you get out of a boat doing much better then a 100, then one of those poker run PFD's might increase your odds of survival a little, but your odds of survival still aren't that great. If you get out of a boat doing much better then 120, then that same Poker run vest probably isn't going to do much other then help them find the body (if it's still attached). If your doing over 140, then honestly why bother with a PFD anymore as it's kind of a moot point?
It's not like these guys are gearing up in the full race gear (ballistic pants, real race lifeline PFD's, considering the speeds realistically the parachute style PFD's, driving suits, shoes etc..) and even if they were... It's still no garuantee. I'm not going to name names, but There was a guy in alot better shape then most the people driving the boats in the poker run, geared to the 10's with full race suit, and he died doing a tick over 100 on the Parker strip.. No where near the #'s alot of these guys are putting up.
Bottom line is you run that hard and your rolling the dice if something goes weird.. PFD's might help the odds a bit, but honeslty in a 50/50 situation it might raise that to 55/45 (increasing the slower the speed, decreasing the higher the speed)
RD
I think everybody in the poker run turning in speeds over 80-100 know what they are in for if something happens - I doubt you are providing any earth-shattering news to them. That's kind of why, after having a little girl 4 years ago, I no longer take people up on their offers of really fast rides. Sure, I would love to, but I probably shouldn't.
My only point was...it's nice to see people in PFD's, rather than with cocktails in hand as we have seen countless times at other poker runs.

RiverDave
05-01-2007, 11:08 AM
Well like I said, wasn't trying to have that come off the wrong way... No earth shattering news here. ;)
As a passenger though, I almost wonder if the cocktail would be more beneficial then the PFD.. :D Have to be a sippy cup or something though at 150. ;)
RD

40FlatDeck
05-01-2007, 01:02 PM
I'm all for running fast but if the people putting on the poker run say nobody over 110, then I'm not going over 110. I did not run past 110 at anytime. I expected some of the first group with two people to leave us, not everybody!:jawdrop:
When I raced supercross we listened at the riders meeting. It was to keep us safe, not hold us back. I hope people understand it is not just about them, it's about poker runs and keeping poker runs around for as long as we can.:idea:

ChumpChange
05-01-2007, 01:41 PM
When I raced supercross we listened at the riders meeting. It was to keep us safe, not hold us back. I hope people understand it is not just about them, it's about poker runs and keeping poker runs around for as long as we can.:idea:
I think some of the people on THIS BOARD were too busy calling Bob Teague a Dick and every other speaker that same thing during the driver's meeting to pay attention. So sad that grown people can't shut their mouth and listen.

ChumpChange
05-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Not to condone his driving, but did anyone see how fast the 32DCB was. Holy christ! It came by us moving on the way to the first card stop.
I got buzzed by two different DCBs as I floated near the shoreline as a safety boat. If there is only 50ft between my boat and the shoreline, is it really that smart to go between us at high speed?
There were a TON of DCBs out there this past weekend, why were there so few actually participating in the run? :idea:

Havasu Hangin'
05-01-2007, 01:55 PM
I'm not going to name names, but There was a guy in alot better shape then most the people driving the boats in the poker run, geared to the 10's with full race suit, and he died doing a tick over 100 on the Parker strip.. No where near the #'s alot of these guys are putting up.
I don't think that Parker boat should be compared to a 40' Skater at the same speeds...apples to oranges. Things happen differently in the smaller boats.
IMO, the bigger risk is most likely from a collision (like Nor Cal or Nashville Cats)...where a chute jacket really isn't going to make a difference.

riverbound
05-01-2007, 02:20 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, I agree with Melba. the rules are put in place to protect EVERYONE involved and should be adhered to. The unfortuante thing is its people like the above that are going to ruin the future of Poker runs due to them being "above" the rules. And the organizers of these runs should enforce the rules the insurance companies give them to ensure the furutre of these runs (ie..DQ for anyone who goes against the rules and no invite back the following year). Like has been said so many time in the past, if we dont govern ourselves, somebody will step in and do it for us. :(
Of course th phrase "more money than sense" rings true with Many of the people I saw this weekend.

DCBob
05-01-2007, 02:24 PM
I'm all for running fast but if the people putting on the poker run say nobody over 110, then I'm not going over 110. I did not run past 110 at anytime. I expected some of the first group with two people to leave us, not everybody!:jawdrop:
Yep ;)

riverbound
05-01-2007, 02:24 PM
I don't think that Parker boat should be compared to a 40' Skater at the same speeds...apples to oranges. Things happen differently in the smaller boats.
IMO, the bigger risk is most likely from a collision (like Nor Cal or Nashville Cats)...where a chute jacket really isn't going to make a difference.
im pretty sure he was talking about the human body hitting water/something at those speeds. its not like these guys are running full canopy race boats. Most of them are open cockpit pleasure boats. after growing up around the offshore circuit, and witnessing deaths....the size of the boat doesnt change what happens when stuff goes badly and someone ends up getting tossed out at speed. :(

riverbound
05-01-2007, 02:25 PM
If more people thought this way.....I would bet we would see many fewer deaths/injuries/accidents.

Havasu Hangin'
05-01-2007, 02:43 PM
im pretty sure he was talking about the human body hitting water/something at those speeds. its not like these guys are running full canopy race boats. Most of them are open cockpit pleasure boats. after growing up around the offshore circuit, and witnessing deaths....the size of the boat doesnt change what happens when stuff goes badly and someone ends up getting tossed out at speed. :(
Yes...but most of them are 36'+ cats and 38'+ V-Bottom running at those speeds...which is what I meant by "apples to oranges" to a small Parker boat. The size of the boat does matter on what kind of accident usually occurs. Which is safer? A SS boat at 100MPH or a 46' Skater?
Other than Texoma last year, nobody has "hit the water"...the other accidents were collisions.

Cat & Mice
05-01-2007, 02:47 PM
We were in Group D and I was very impressed how safe everyone in that group was. Nobody went over the 110mph limit and the group slowed down at all congested areas.
Everyone kept their distance and didn't do anything stupid.
It was the cleanest poker run I have been in.:)
the only thing I thought was odd is how they had our group running south when the first group was hauling ass north. Not the safest thing but was super cool to see. To bad so many boats broke before we saw them.
When CRC went by us (in opposite direction :sqeyes: ) he was moving pretty good but not 190mph. He was the first boat from that group to pass us.
BTW- I thought the rule was for any boat with rear seat passengers had to stay below 110mph.
Even at 110mph it was pretty crazy out there, tons of boats. How would you like to be the guy pulling his kids on the wake board and CRC goes buy at 150mph?

riverbound
05-01-2007, 02:48 PM
Yes...but most of them are 36'+ cats and 38'+ V-Bottom running at those speeds...which is what I meant by "apples to oranges" to a small Parker boat. The size of the boat does matter on what kind of accident usually occurs. Which is safer? A SS boat at 100MPH or a 46' Skater?
Other than Texoma last year, nobody has "hit the water"...the other accidents were collisions.
Depends on the nut behind the wheel...and after reading some of these posts. i think I would prefer the SS boat....it takes more than a thick wallet to run those #s in that boat.
I do agree with what you are saying...if Im going to be doing a 100+ in something, the bigger the better. but when you get people that have the mentality, that they are above the rules and have no consideration for anyone but themselves, it is a disasterous mix.

RiverDave
05-01-2007, 02:58 PM
Well kinda yes and no... The PFD part comes into play when you hit the water... If you hit the water doing 100, doesn't matter if it was a small boat or a big boat when you hit the water?
I agree with you though on your sentiments with regards to large vs small and the actual danger involved.
RD

Havasu Hangin'
05-01-2007, 03:01 PM
Depends on the nut behind the wheel...and after reading some of these posts. i think I would prefer the SS boat....it takes more than a thick wallet to run those #s in that boat.
If you think all those guys with big boats are just numbskulls with a thick wallet...then you are sorely mistaken (except KROOZIN, of course :jawdrop: ). When I was out there, I saw more unsafe stuff from guys on jet skis and small boats than any other type of boat. Are there exceptions to that? Sure.
Driver skill being equal, I would rather ride at 120MPH with JT in a 368 Skater than Tony in a SS boat anyday.

C-2
05-01-2007, 03:08 PM
I think one of the toughest things is distinguishing between rules which promote safety, and rules which participants somehow preceive as creating an even "playing field."
That being said, again, an open forum is not the proper venue to debate these things. Send your suggestions, observations and comments to Lakeracer LLC.
How many of you have seen the file the USCG maintains on the poker run? I have.....and guess what, where does the majority of information collected about the run, both good and bad, come from? Yup, Internet message boards.
Trust me guys, there are people out there in cyberspace who are hell-bent against anything fast boat related....STOP FUELING THEIR FIRE
Make them collect their info from different resources, you guys are making it too easy for them ;)

riverbound
05-01-2007, 03:13 PM
If you think all those guys with big boats are just numbskulls with a thick wallet...then you are sorely mistaken (except KROOZIN, of course :jawdrop: ). When I was out there, I saw more unsafe stuff from guys on jet skis and small boats than any other type of boat. Are there exceptions to that? Sure.
Driver skill being equal, I would rather ride at 120MPH with JT in a 368 Skater than Tony in a SS boat anyday.
No where did I say "ALL"...but after reading Safa's post. it definitely leads me to believe "some" of them should put the check book away and take up sailing. Blatant diregard for the safety guidlines of an organized event is inexcusable, and shows a lack of any consideration for anyone else. Regrdless of vessel size. they knew the rules upfront and knowingly went out there and disobeyed them, because they felt they were more important than that.

Froggystyle
05-01-2007, 03:16 PM
I have been boating on several different bodies of water for damn near every weekend this year. Lake Pleasant, Lake Havasu, Parker, El Capitan, San Diego Bay, Elsinore, Castaic etc... I can say with 100% sincerity that the most dangerous maneuvers have all been pulled off by people towing tubes.
Second, but not even close is jet skis.
Every weekend I see multiple boats tubes right in front of a marina, turning in front of me or just driving perpendicular to the flow of water on a river, back and forth. Most are completely oblivious to either the rules of the road or courtesy to other boaters. They appear fixated on the tube ride, and giving them the wildest ride possible. I saw at least five people just jamming down the wrong side of the river pulling tubes this week, and had two jet skis turn directly in front of me doing a 360 or some other equally dumb move.
Two rental pontoons going full speed through Thompson bay also. That was nice for everyone. They were actually dodging idled traffic.
The only close call from a performance boater I saw was that DCB in the video from Chump Change. Bad, bad move on their part.

Froggystyle
05-01-2007, 03:18 PM
And, not to be above reproach I pulled a no-brainer in the channel this weekend as well. Nearly backed into someone who was driving really close to the shore, but I couldn't see because of a boat in the way. My bad... totally. I apologized to him though, and nothing happened.

cyclone
05-01-2007, 03:27 PM
I wonder when we'll stop calling these events "poker runs", ditch the playing cards, and just call it what it really is: a race to the bar. :D
no one is going a buck forty or more in three quarters of a million dollars worth of fiberglass, aluminum and steel just to get that one special card to fill out their straight flush and win themselves a cool new anchor.

riverbound
05-01-2007, 03:29 PM
And, not to be above reproach I pulled a no-brainer in the channel this weekend as well. Nearly backed into someone who was driving really close to the shore, but I couldn't see because of a boat in the way. My bad... totally. I apologized to him though, and nothing happened.
Jacka$$ :D:D ;)

Jordy
05-01-2007, 03:31 PM
no one is going a buck forty or more in three quarters of a million dollars worth of fiberglass, aluminum and steel just to get that one special card to fill out their straight flush and win themselves a cool new anchor.
Hey now, our full house (queens over 4's) was only worth $5,000. We didn't get a cool new anchor. :notam: :D :D

Havasu Hangin'
05-01-2007, 03:41 PM
I wonder when we'll stop calling these events "poker runs", ditch the playing cards, and just call it what it really is: a race to the bar. :D
Actually, I saw more boats like these guys...
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k81/msbladua/Desert%20Storm/DSC_0129.jpg?t=1177956353
...than boats running on the edge.

cyclone
05-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Actually, I saw more boats like these guys...
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k81/msbladua/Desert%20Storm/DSC_0129.jpg?t=1177956353
...than boats running on the edge.
neat.

cyclone
05-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Hey now, our full house (queens over 4's) was only worth $5,000. We didn't get a cool new anchor. :notam: :D :D
i hope you put in on gas then. :D

C-2
05-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Gas, broken boat and a $2,000 charity donation.......running pretyy thin there.
THANKS AGAIN Rob, Jordy and Crew!

Havasu Hangin'
05-01-2007, 03:51 PM
neat.
Let's "call it what it really is"..
...boaters having a good time?
PS- A pair of eights was the best I could muster.

cyclone
05-01-2007, 03:52 PM
i heard Jordy bought a round of ribs at Chillis saturday during lunch hour as well but i came in too late for mine. :)

cyclone
05-01-2007, 03:54 PM
Let's "call it what it really is"..
...boaters having a good time?
PS- A pair of eights was the best I could muster.
maybe you should get a faster boat then.:eek:

Havasu Hangin'
05-01-2007, 03:57 PM
Naw...if I buy a bigger, faster boat, then I will lose all my common sense and boat-driving skills.
:notam:

riverbound
05-01-2007, 03:59 PM
Naw...if I buy a bigger, faster boat, then I will lose all my common sense and boat-driving skills.
I would really like to see where someone posted that ;)

Jordy
05-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Not my boat. :D :D :D
Actually, it seems as though the broken part of the weekend was just a rocker backing off #5 on the starboard engine. Dodged a bullet there. Going with new rockers, polylocks, and stud girdles this time. Not going down this road again. :)
As far as the charity drive, glad to help. In the whole scheme of things, it's a small deal that makes a huge difference. Glad to be a part of it!!! :D :D :D

Jordy
05-01-2007, 04:07 PM
i heard Jordy bought a round of ribs at Chillis saturday during lunch hour as well but i came in too late for mine. :)
Next time, try and be there promptly when we're ready to eat (and drink). :D :D :D
Faster boats don't always do the trick. You're way faster than us. Besides, we only made the first 2 card stops under power. Oh, and under power in the Sea Guppy is mid-70's with full fuel and 6 people. Not all that fast. :)

Member: 7673
05-01-2007, 05:23 PM
hey....Don't forget the Teague jackets:D :eek: :2purples:

Jordy
05-01-2007, 06:05 PM
hey....Don't forget the Teague jackets:D :eek: :2purples:
My bad. The small and large Teague jackets (although they are really nice) are going to come in very handy in the next few months in Phoenix, especially since I'm about a XXL, as is Rob. :D :D :D
I have a feeling the girls laid claim to those. :)

XtrmWakeborder
05-01-2007, 06:31 PM
And all I wanted was to know who got to the cardstop first...not a safety meeting.:rolleyes: :D Having more people in your boat doesn't make you a more dangerous driver, it sucks that people aren't able to take responsibility for themselves and choices "to get into a boat thats going 160mph" if something goes wrong so limits must be placed. This of course applies to adults, a person who has a kid and wants to pull these speeds is a moron.

cyclone
05-01-2007, 08:42 PM
at least your not in denial. lol:D

cyclone
05-01-2007, 08:45 PM
Next time, try and be there promptly when we're ready to eat (and drink). :D :D :D
i think walking around in the heat killed just killed me that day. i couldn't hear the waitress yelling out "free ribs!". :)
Faster boats don't always do the trick. You're way faster than us. Besides, we only made the first 2 card stops under power. Oh, and under power in the Sea Guppy is mid-70's with full fuel and 6 people. Not all that fast. :)
fast is all in your point of view. you made it to chillis faster than i did and i was damn hungry. :D

Big Warlock
05-02-2007, 08:10 AM
Don't forget TAXES!!!!!! :D

Big Warlock
05-02-2007, 08:12 AM
Not my boat. :D :D :D
It's yours when it's broke!!! :D