PDA

View Full Version : Where to place a water pick up?

blown540flattie
05-16-2002, 01:07 PM
I have seen them placed on the cave plate on the left or right side of the centerline of the boat. I have seen them have dual pickups. I have see pickups on the fins and in the hull of the boat. What works the best? I dont know where mine was I didnt buy a complete boat. Help!!!!!

WILDERTHANU
05-16-2002, 02:03 PM
WELL, I HAVE ALWAYS PUT MINE ON THE LEFT OF THE CENTERLINE, RIGHT THROUGH THE CAV. PLATE. RUN STAINLESS UP THROUGH THE TRANSOM. TO THE RIGHT OF THE CENTERLINE, I PUT A OUTLET FOR THE WATER TO PISS OUT UP ON THE TRANSOM! I ALSO RUN A CHECK VALE TO KEEP THE PRESSURE IN THE SYSTEM. HOPE THAT HELPS A LITTLE.

Sangerboy
05-16-2002, 04:22 PM
I run dual pickups through the cavitation plates and then through the upper part of the transom. The lines are joined inside the transom and then feed into the oil cooler. The water pickups are positioned toward the trailing edge of the plates about in the middle of the side plates of a 3 plate setup.

Backfire
05-16-2002, 04:45 PM
The reasoning for cav plate placement of the pickup is that it is the least likely part to ride out of the water. It's generally placed to the left of center on a left propped boat to avoid the frothy water of the prop blast which goes right. A better placement on less flighty boats is along side the strut, 3 or 4 inches ahead of the prop, because it will draw cleaner water. On hydros with outboard steering, the pickup tube goes down the trailing edge of the rudder to pick up deep water when the boat is flying.

Backfire
05-16-2002, 04:50 PM
On a runnerbottom (3 plate) setup, I WOULD NOT put the pickup through either one of the tunnel(outer) plates, but would put it thru at the left rear of the center( deep) plate!

pgf127rt
05-16-2002, 05:03 PM
Backfire, you are right on as the outer plates on a runnerboattom that runs like it should (Fast & Loose) will clear the air traps, outer plates, and will starve the engine for water.

rrrr
05-16-2002, 06:33 PM
The pickup on my boat is between the strut and the plate, on the propshaft centerline. Bought the boat a few months ago, I have not had it in the water yet.
I thought it was a weird deal, the strut masks the flow into the pickup. I guess it works OK, thought about changing it. Anyone else have it this way?

Backfire
05-17-2002, 09:18 AM
Behind the strut on center would not be one of my choices for pickup placement for the reasons mentioned. I've seen a lot of strange pickup placements that seem to work ok. My brother's Hallett 21' has the pickup for unpumped circuit that cools his v-drive and trans placed ahead of the v-drive, while mine is next to the bellhousing. Makes you wonder how much these cruisers were expected to fly by their manufacturers!

nitro557
05-17-2002, 09:48 AM
where do you put it on a hydro?mines a x-drag boat and has no pick up at all

superdave013
05-17-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by nitro557:
where do you put it on a hydro?mines a x-drag boat and has no pick up at all
On the rudder. The ones I have seen had the pick up tube welded to the back edge of the rudder and it protudes a little past the bottom cut @ a 45deg angle.
[This message has been edited by superdave013 (edited May 17, 2002).]

69 Elim
05-17-2002, 11:14 AM
Question: Can you weld onto a rudder? Is there a special process involved? Is the rudder a special hardened steel or something? I don't have to do it, just more info...

superdave013
05-17-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by 69 Elim:
Question: Can you weld onto a rudder? Is there a special process involved? Is the rudder a special hardened steel or something? I don't have to do it, just more info...
I would think you would have to re-heat treat it after you weld it.

WILDERTHANU
05-17-2002, 02:19 PM
DON'T HEAT YOUR RUDDER THE HARDNESS WILL GO RIGHT OUT THE WINDOW! BUT YOU CAN RE-HEAT TREAT IF YOU WANT, BUT YOU HAVE TO FIND OUT THE ROCKWELL THEY HARDEN THOSE TO. I LIKE TO LEAVE RUNNING GEAR ALONE! JUST MY 2 CENTS!