PDA

View Full Version : People on closed bows

mdunn01
04-30-2007, 12:41 PM
Ok, i have a question, whats the law on the River, lake Mead, Mojave, etc with having people on your bow of your jet boat? Just laying out on it or riding up there like around a cove or something mellow. Refering to a closed bow, not open.
Mike

OCMerrill
04-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Legal or not it just screams hey BoatCop come check my BAC. :idea:
We will get the official low down shortly.
Stand by.....

Bense468
04-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Its illegal I believe, but so is driving over 65 here. Will I still be doing when pulling up to a beach or an anchor (YES) Would I have kids up there driving around (NO)

Run_em_Hard
04-30-2007, 01:20 PM
I think that the law is as long as your off plane than it is ok.

OCMerrill
04-30-2007, 01:26 PM
I think that the law is as long as your off plane than it is ok.
Ya right...wakeless speed I believe.

riverfun
04-30-2007, 01:33 PM
this was a few years ago before we got a open bow and were politely (no ticket) told that you are not allowed to be up there under power.

Coded-Dude
04-30-2007, 01:42 PM
Another dangerous practice is bow riding, which is both unsafe and illegal. Passengers riding on the front of a boat can be killed or severely injured by a boat’s propeller if they fall, slip or are thrown into the water. The law restricts riding on the bow, gunwale or transom of a powerboat where there is no protective railing or other deterrent to falling overboard or if riding on the bow is an obvious danger.
This provision does not apply to a vessel’s crew when anchoring or mooring, or in the necessary management of a sail.
Looks like this is the consensus for most states. I guess it doesn't matter whether or not your boat is a prop , as its dangerous regardless.
This law seems to carry over to most states.

phebus
04-30-2007, 02:20 PM
I think (at Havasu at least), that it is illegal to ride anywhere on a boat that wasn't designed for passenger use.

Throttle
04-30-2007, 02:30 PM
I think (at Havasu at least), that it is illegal to ride anywhere on a boat that wasn't designed for passenger use.
not this past weekend... anything goes... I am fine with that, the sights were good in most cases, however for one of the drivers I saw run up on the back of a smaller boat (he might not agree)... definatly too busy in the channel this weekend to have the drivers vision blocked...

tamalewagon
04-30-2007, 02:48 PM
Got a ticket for that down at Lake Martinez for idling with 2 adults sitting just forward of the bulkhead (nowhere near the bow of the boat). Took my medicine and won't be doing that again any time soon.

DaddyMack
04-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Not sure about Arizona.. but Nevada .. okay wakeless speed.

HM
04-30-2007, 02:57 PM
I was told, after being stopped for a "safety" check, that no one is allowed on the bow when a boat is under way unless you have bow rails. My buddy was pulling anchor from the bow(no bow rails), and it was stuck and we had some wind when I had the boat idling in gear and I got a warning.
This was at lake Havasu and it was AZ popo.

Boatcop
04-30-2007, 04:01 PM
Arizona law prohibits any persons on the decked over bow of a boat above a wakeless speed. (Includes the front area, outside of the cowling, of a pontoon boat).
It also prohibits any person on the bow of a boat, which may block the view of the operator at any time the boat is underway, and moving through the water.
The concept of allowing a person on the bow below wakeless speed is to permit assistance in docking, mooring or anchoring. It was never intended to allow persons to just ride up there.
Even at idle, if a person slips off the bow, you WILL NOT have enough time to stop or reverse the boat before they get hit by the prop(s).
I really don't see what the attractiveness of having people ride on the bow of a boat. You don't let people ride on the hood of your car, do you?

HM
04-30-2007, 04:04 PM
I really don't see what the attractiveness of having people ride on the bow of a boat. You don't let people ride on the hood of your car, do you?
What if your car has hood rails? :D

ratso
04-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Arizona law prohibits any persons on the decked over bow of a boat above a wakeless speed. (Includes the front area, outside of the cowling, of a pontoon boat).
It also prohibits any person on the bow of a boat, which may block the view of the operator at any time the boat is underway, and moving through the water.
The concept of allowing a person on the bow below wakeless speed is to permit assistance in docking, mooring or anchoring. It was never intended to allow persons to just ride up there.
Even at idle, if a person slips off the bow, you WILL NOT have enough time to stop or reverse the boat before they get hit by the prop(s).
:jawdrop:

ratso
04-30-2007, 04:06 PM
What if your car has hood rails? :D
...or if your boat has "dock feelers":D

hoolign
04-30-2007, 04:09 PM
What if they are dragging 40 kilo's of blow towards the beach????? Don't you guys have an entrepeneur clause??:confused:

shueman
04-30-2007, 06:33 PM
Thanks.... :cool:

mobldj
04-30-2007, 07:10 PM
fix the problem with your 19.99 jig saw,gives you twice as much boat.

Coded-Dude
05-01-2007, 07:37 AM
I just wrap safety net all the way around the boat(like they do for children's trampolines). :D