PDA

View Full Version : Carb to EFI conversion

bigq
05-01-2007, 09:23 AM
What is the best set up to go from a carb to EFI? Would I need an entire wire harness also? The motor is estimated at 550 or so.

Beer-30
05-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Do you want multi-point, with a new intake? Or just replace a carb with throttle body? Big differences between the two, install and such.

bigq
05-01-2007, 09:31 AM
Multi port, injectors in the manifold I believe. Like a 500 HP:D

Unchained
05-01-2007, 09:42 AM
You can get an intake manifold right out of the Summit catalog that has the injector bungs right on it. That will give you port injection which is what you want. The injectors can be bought reasonable off ebay.
GET A BOOK AND READ UP ON IT FIRST.
You're going to want multipoint programming where all the injectors fire at once.
Sequential is for the best fuel economy on small engines.
For a big block you need fuel volume and that means firing every time around.
Whichever brand of EFI system you get will have the wiring harness available too. Watch out about spending way too much for options you won't need.
The most basic EFI is a world above a carb.
You will need a laptop, and an O2 sensor.
The most basic laptop will do the job.
There will be a learning curve to it so be prepared.
Someone who can help you with the fuel mapping would be best.
Good Luck

Beer-30
05-01-2007, 09:54 AM
That is good advice right there.
There are SO MANY different possibilities. You'll have to narrow down what you like/want.
Ok, MPI. Good start.
Now. Do you want the HP500EFI style manifold exclusively? or do you want like a Victor Jr., tall, single-4 manifold with injectors installed? Do you want a GM RamJet looking intake?

Beer-30
05-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Here is the HP500/525EFI intake, right from the mfg. ASM mfgs it for Merc. Racing:
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/azspeed_1942_14350692
454-502 Automotive TPI System w/ GM ECU & Harness. The ASM big block tuned port injection is designed for any cubic inch big block Chevy engine, oval or rectangle port, short or tall runner, we have them to fit any combination. The basic unit consists of a lower manifold assembled with the 30 lb./hr injectors, fuel rails and fuel regulator, upper plenum with linkage assembly, 58mm throttle body, GM computer with a custom program, complete wiring harness, all sensors, distributor and coil, high pressure fuel pump, K&N high flow air cleaner, and all mounting hardware.
$4,150.00
Optional Polishing for BB TPIIncludes polishing of the plenum, manifold base, throttle body and fuel rails. BBTPIPolish $800.00
The only difference is the ECM. ASM would delete the GM ECM and switch to a MEFI-4B for marine apps.

Beer-30
05-01-2007, 10:06 AM
This is single 4-barrel as mentioned earlier. For if a person likes the look of a regular intake, or has a motor that is tuned to a certain single or dual plane intake.
http://www.accel-dfi.com/e-images04//77143.jpg
Here's another nice unit, also from ACCEL. More of a tunnel-ram based system:
http://www.accel-dfi.com/e-images04//77102.jpg

bigq
05-01-2007, 11:23 AM
All those are nice units. I would want something that is a kit like those. I don't have the time to peice it together. It might end up as an entire motor deal also not sure yet.
seems like a good price for the setup. I was thinking around $3500 or so.

Jspeeddemon
05-01-2007, 12:14 PM
PM me if interested in a FAST EFI system with Wide Band Option, I bought a second one, a sequential system with the idea of putting one together for my hydro and haven't gotten around to using it. It is for a Chevy and I have the rest of the recipe for putting it together along with the file to get started with your motor. You can finish it for roughly $3000 total investment.