PDA

View Full Version : circle boat question?

stump
03-14-2003, 04:34 PM
Ok i'm new to this and i'm trying to figgure out something.
Let's take the biesemeyer 18' for instance since it seems to be the boat of choice for circle racing.I see these hulls in the S/S class and in the K class ,are these hulls the same?just with differant engine combinations?
And what kind of boats hulls are used for the G/N class? are they longer,they look like they have a kind of v shape to the bottom on them.

Morg
03-14-2003, 05:04 PM
Stump,
Essentialy the hulls are the same in SS, PS & K. The motor type & motor, V-drive & strut location will differ in the classes. The weight of the hull will also differ. The k's being the heaviest layup. I have also heard the rocker can change for the different classes, Don't know about that one. argue
Pretty much that's the opinion from someone who's never driven one. So take what you will from the above. :D :D
Morg.

126driver
03-14-2003, 05:19 PM
True. Steele laid up the K's and Superstocks from the same mold, but the layup shedule was different. GN's are a whole different animal.

FlatRacer
03-14-2003, 06:19 PM
Rockers vary from class to class because the more horsepower you have, the more it wants to drive the nose down and lift he tail. More rocker and a longer trim plate creates more negative pressure under the rear of the boat, thereby "sucking" the transom back down to the water. Remember when K-boats used to run wings like the 1/4 mi. boats? That was an attempt to plant the tail back down in the water. Because the speeds were so high in KRR, the boats began to ride on the strut barrel, or "prop ride" like a hydro. Problem with that is, you haven't got two sponsons out front to provide a stable stance. They would run on the "breast" of the bow. Not fun. They experimented with wings in the 80s, but abandoned them in favor of more rocker and longer plates.
That's my theory and I'm stickin' to it.
FR :p
[ March 14, 2003, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: FlatRacer ]

DUCKY
03-14-2003, 07:37 PM
126driver:
True. Steele laid up the K's and Superstocks from the same mold, but the layup shedule was different. GN's are a whole different animal. I have personal experience, this is correct.

LeE ss13
03-14-2003, 07:43 PM
Something to keep in mind, ... the fastest most winniest Super Stock boat in modern times on the planet (ss70 driven by L.F.) was built in 1976 !!!!!

A.SNEED
03-14-2003, 08:45 PM
ss boat bare hull is around 475lbs,a k is around 550 to 600.there are some x kboats running as ss in they do fine the bottom is typicly the same . a div 1 gn is about 1000lbs bare hull in are shallow v"s around 10 degree.the ss boats have a min wght of 1850 with eng a div 1 gn is about 3500 lbs.

DaveA
03-14-2003, 09:02 PM
Hey Stump,
If I ever get the film developed, I'll show you pix of Raysoncraft GN's at Rudy Ramos' shop. Rightside up and upside down, too.
There's a ex-racer Raysoncraft GN being built up as a lake boat over by Lake Tillery by Butch wazzizzname- that has the marina over there and owns the Sanger in the showroom. It belongs to a guy I'm acquainted with thru business. It's longer/heavier than the flatties, and handles rough water much better. Just what ya need on Norman on the south end every weekend.