PDA

View Full Version : Beware The Seawall

Not So Fast
05-02-2007, 07:33 AM
I posted this in another thread but thought it should be here for everyone to see. After seeing it yesterday all I can say is BE AWARE when pulling up to moor. I may be wrong (again) but it looks to me that cat type hulls may very well strike the wall before they contact the sand. its that close. The lake is at 447.3 which is just about summer levels.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Until they open it we wont know but how pissed would you be if you smashed your sponsons into the wall ???????????????? NSF

lewiville
05-02-2007, 07:36 AM
in the famous words of Elmer Fudd, "be wery wery cawrfulllllll" better let the deep "V"'s check it out first:D

Baja Big Dog
05-02-2007, 07:45 AM
Its an attempt to ban fiberglass boats....alumium pontoon will take over the WORLD!!!!!!:D

phebus
05-02-2007, 07:48 AM
Its an attempt to ban fiberglass boats....alumium pontoon will take over the WORLD!!!!!!:D
Beer can boats unite!!!:)
Actually, if the shore gradually gets deep, everyone should be okay, but if you come in and it's deep, the wall will definately be a factor.

Focker
05-02-2007, 09:04 AM
I posted this in another thread but thought it should be here for everyone to see. After seeing it yesterday all I can say is BE AWARE when pulling up to moor. I may be wrong (again) but it looks to me that cat type hulls may very well strike the wall before they contact the sand. its that close. The lake is at 447.3 which is just about summer levels.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Until they open it we wont know but how pissed would you be if you smashed your sponsons into the wall ???????????????? NSF
hey u up there this week>
thought id get the beers u owe me for being so wrong about the BRONCOS :D

Not So Fast
05-02-2007, 09:17 AM
Beer can boats unite!!!:)
Actually, if the shore gradually gets deep, everyone should be okay, but if you come in and it's deep, the wall will definately be a factor.
OK, so being the rookie I am and so unworthy just come in as you normally do. Just thought a heads up may save youall some damage. I'm out :(
Oh yeah , what beers Focker, I dont drink with Horse fans :D :D NSF

Focker
05-02-2007, 09:56 AM
OK, so being the rookie I am and so unworthy just come in as you normally do. Just thought a heads up my save youall some damage. I'm out :(
Oh yeah , what beers Focker, I dont drink with Horse fans :D :D NSF
hey san diego losssssserrrrrrrrrrrrr
r ya up there this weekend?

ClownRoyal
05-02-2007, 10:24 AM
Its pretty obvious who will be able to and who won't. Just by eyeing things my guess is that most boats won't be able to moore on that side when the water is at Summer levels.

Not So Fast
05-02-2007, 10:57 AM
hey san diego losssssserrrrrrrrrrrrr
r ya up there this weekend?
Hey you horses a--, we're here every weekend. Actually every day since we live here now. The only weekend we werent here last year was when we went to the Chargers game VS the Broncs and I think we won that, oh wait we won BOTH :D :D :D :D Just a little smack;) NSF

Focker
05-02-2007, 11:00 AM
Hey you horses a--, we're here every weekend. Actually every day since we live here now. The only weekend we werent here last year was when we went to the Chargers game VS the Broncs and I think we won that, oh wait we won BOTH :D :D :D :D Just a little smack;) NSF
kewl im leaving today hope to see ya
hell ill even buy ya a milk

Not So Fast
05-02-2007, 11:09 AM
kewl im leaving today hope to see ya
hell ill even buy ya a milk
Have fun and watch that wall, maybe I'll see you at the (Windsor) ramp, I'm there usually in the mornings to watch all the activities, look for my silver Rhino. :D Bobby

Focker
05-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Have fun and watch that wall, maybe I'll see you at the (Windsor) ramp, I'm there usually in the mornings to watch all the activities, look for my silver Rhino. :D Bobby
OK LOOK FOR ME AT THE RAMP HERE IS MY RIG AND BOAT

Not So Fast
05-03-2007, 06:56 AM
OK LOOK FOR ME AT THE RAMP HERE IS MY RIG AND BOAT
Will do, I'll say "HI" even though you are a "Horse Fan" :D NSF

Water Romper
05-03-2007, 02:31 PM
I guess I never thought about hitting the retaining wall with the front of my bow…I guess it pays to be poor and have a little 18 footer, looks like I will have all the mooring space I will need….until some huge mac daddy ‘toon come and parks on top of me… :D :sqeyes: :D

djunkie
05-03-2007, 02:32 PM
I guess I never thought about hitting the retaining wall with the front of my bow…I guess it pays to be poor and have a little 18 footer, looks like I will have all the mooring space I will need….until some huge mac daddy ‘toon come and parks on top of me… :D :sqeyes: :D
Ya you have to watch out for that Phebus guy. :D :D

Water Romper
05-03-2007, 02:47 PM
All kidding aside, as I sit and think about this thread, I have seen it time and time again a huge 25+footer, scoot pretty fast toward the shore to “beach” their boat so it “seats” secure on the shore…I have NOT seen the new wall yet but this could be a real disaster for our larger boating peeps if the wall is closer than it appears…..think the Havi boys designed this on purpose? That’s a bunch of crap if they did…:mad:

Powerquestboy
05-03-2007, 03:23 PM
Funny this should come up because the boat I just bought has a crunch in the nose and the owner told me he hit the wall in the channel. Said the v never touched the sand at all. Last weekend at the poker run I was a few boats down from a big baja that came in and put the nose in the wall pretty hard. I wonder if they will be pissed when everyone starts anchoring nose out!!!

Havasu1986
05-03-2007, 03:26 PM
I wonder if they will let you tie in front and achor the back.? Within reason of course. :)

slowinhavasu
05-03-2007, 03:37 PM
Here are a few from today...
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o235/slowinhavasu/IMGP1364.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o235/slowinhavasu/IMGP1362.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o235/slowinhavasu/IMGP1361.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o235/slowinhavasu/IMGP1360.jpg

djunkie
05-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Here are a few from today...
Looks like a nice platform to park my Rhino on. :D :D

CityGuy
05-03-2007, 04:05 PM
I checked with the project manager and he told me it is not likely that any sand will be placed to make the beach larger. Remember, the seawall is an erosion control measure to keep the sand from slipping into the water, so placing sand on the water side of the wall would be contrary to its purpose. He said the beach along the completed portion of the wall will be opened this weekend so you can try it out. Feel free to give me your thoughts and I will pass them on. Please don't blame the city if you manage to crunch the nose of your boat. I don't see any reason why you couldn't anchor off the rear as long as your anchor isn't a hazard, but I'll check to see if there are any rules that prohibit it and get back to you tomorrow.
Charlie Cassens

Havasu1986
05-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the update Carey and Charlie:)

sleekcraft80
05-03-2007, 04:13 PM
I think they should have put the seawall maaabe no more than 3 ft from the sidewalk. I thought when they got rid of the mayor and got somebody new they would consider the large revenues us california folks give to their city. I guess if they start closing things off to the boaters it might put a damper on the resort aspect of the city.

slowinhavasu
05-03-2007, 04:17 PM
I checked with the project manager and he told me it is not likely that any sand will be placed to make the beach larger. Remember, the seawall is an erosion control measure to keep the sand from slipping into the water, so placing sand on the water side of the wall would be contrary to its purpose. He said the beach along the completed portion of the wall will be opened this weekend so you can try it out. Feel free to give me your thoughts and I will pass them on. Please don't blame the city if you manage to crunch the nose of your boat. I don't see any reason why you couldn't anchor off the rear as long as your anchor isn't a hazard, but I'll check to see if there are any rules that prohibit it and get back to you tomorrow.
Charlie Cassens
$100.00 says some drunk dumb ass, gonna put his boat in that wall and blame the city...."It's not my fault they put that wall there, I didn't think........"

sleekcraft80
05-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Are they going to put the seawall all the way past the dog park?

Not So Fast
05-03-2007, 04:22 PM
I think they should have put the seawall maaabe no more than 3 ft from the sidewalk. I thought when they got rid of the mayor and got somebody new they would consider the large revenues us california folks give to their city. I guess if they start closing things off to the boaters it might put a damper on the resort aspect of the city.
Exactly!!!!!!! Looks to me like the boating cummunity just lost a large section of mooring but I'm just a rookie so what do I know. :( What a shame NSF

sleekcraft80
05-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Thank god the London Bridge Resort owns most of the beach on the other side:D :D

purrfecttremor
05-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Anchor in the channel :idea: Na i dont think that legal.

98 Vector 21
05-03-2007, 04:36 PM
That sucks I hope they have some plans to back fill (NOT)...Is this the type of issues that the L.H.C.M.A. would address? Todd?

ClownRoyal
05-03-2007, 05:18 PM
I don't see any reason why you couldn't anchor off the rear as long as your anchor isn't a hazard, but I'll check to see if there are any rules that prohibit it and get back to you tomorrow.
Charlie Cassens
I bet 'Slide Anchor' hopes it's legal :D

Mandelon
05-03-2007, 06:10 PM
Another reason to go Pontoon..........:confused:

phebus
05-03-2007, 07:22 PM
I would think that in time, the normal movement of sand would make as much beach in front of the new section of wall as there is in the old section.
I think it's funny how no one thought it could be completed in time, and yet it looks ahead of schedule to me. Now people are talking of a possible plot to sabotage boaters! Come on people, sometimes you just have to take things at face value, and not read into them.
Somehow, I'm going to manage to have a good time. :D

Throttle
05-03-2007, 07:25 PM
its gonna be hard, but I will try... hard...:D

CityGuy
05-04-2007, 08:04 AM
I was unable to find any direct prohibition in the city code regarding anchoring off the stern while moored in the Channel. However, I was correct in the assumption that it is only allowed provided your anchor and/or lines do not present a hazard to people or navigation. So if you plan to tie off to the wall with the stern anchored out, you may be wise to run a short line off the stern, especially for a larger boat (over 26' or so).
Pleasure boats over 36' are technically not supposed to be in the Channel anyway, so if yours is over 36' and the Channel is busy or your boat is causing others to have to go around it, you may be asked to move it. I say "technically" because generally, the local police won't hassle you about the size of your boat unless the Channel is busy or the position of the boat is causing a problem for others.
See you on the water.
Charlie Cassens

OutCole'd
05-04-2007, 08:07 AM
I would think that in time, the normal movement of sand would make as much beach in front of the new section of wall as there is in the old section.
I think it's funny how no one thought it could be completed in time, and yet it looks ahead of schedule to me. Now people are talking of a possible plot to sabotage boaters! Come on people, sometimes you just have to take things at face value, and not read into them.
For the first time, I agree with you.

jbtrailerjim
05-04-2007, 08:37 AM
From the looks of this picture, I'd say a lot of people will not be able to park their boats along this section of the channel.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o235/slowinhavasu/IMGP1361.jpg

Todd969
05-04-2007, 01:19 PM
They took down approx 200 yds of fence this afternoon and boats are parked there just fine.
I'll grab some pics later:D
Todd

ClownRoyal
05-04-2007, 01:30 PM
They took down approx 200 yds of fence this afternoon and boats are parked there just fine.
I'll grab some pics later:D
Todd
Not so fast my friend. I was just down there observing. If you have a cat or V say 28+ then you are hosed. There is no way you can park on that side. Granted the water is at Summer level as it should be, but whoever built that wall errored. It should be back at least 3 more feet. But you can 'throw an anchor off the back end'. Ya right. Who and the hell wants to do that everytime they pull up. Could be fun though...aim at some jet skier passing by.:D
I'm done complaining. I am off to join the Lake Havasu Marine Association.
Period.