PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Steering Hose Question

mondorally
05-02-2007, 07:39 AM
I blew an external hydraulic steering hose last weekend. Its a full hydraulic dual ram setup. The lines need to allow quite a bit of flex to accomodate raising of the drive.
Any benefits/drawbacks to switching from rubber only lines to stainless braided lines?
Thanks
-Justin

27 Awesome cat
05-02-2007, 07:49 AM
I blew an external hydraulic steering hose last weekend. Its a full hydraulic dual ram setup. The lines need to allow quite a bit of flex to accomodate raising of the drive.
Any benefits/drawbacks to switching from rubber only lines to stainless braided lines?
Thanks
-Justin
The only thing you have to worry about is the lines rubbing on the boat.
I have S/lines on our boat and no problems at all.

scarabrick2
05-02-2007, 08:11 AM
We had a lot of cracking on the outer shield of ours so zI changed them out. Used Good quaility hose from the House of Hose guy. The fittings were expensive. Actually got them cheaper from IMCO than a few local places. Bought the fittings and had the hoses made up. Didn't use a SST outshield. No need as hose is below water line

Racey
05-02-2007, 08:19 AM
Call IMCO Nevada, their black lines are really nice, and have good swedged ends on them, just give them the length and they will make em up for you. Stainless lines look nice but sometimes can have burrs and make it harder to clean, cut and scratch you and grab your rag. and will last about the same amount of time.
IMCO Nevada
ask for Ron
702-294-3030

Thorsinc
05-02-2007, 08:23 AM
I had the same problem last weekend as well. I have S/Lines and what happened to me is the wind and water coming from under the hull pushes the line against a bolt on the out drive until it rubbed a hole in the line.

mondorally
05-02-2007, 08:30 AM
Thanks for all the info everyone. Looks like I'll stick to the rubber ones. The originals lasted 20 years so I should be good for a while.... Any problem going to a Mr. Hose (there's one close to my work) and having some made?
-Justin

scarabrick2
05-02-2007, 09:37 AM
Buy the fittings USE SST. Imco has them out here in Nv I'm sure. Go to your hose house and use a good presure rated hose. The rating should be on the old hose. Have them swedge on the new SST fittings and your done. Make sure you cap the bulk head fittings and ram fittings be fore you take the hose off and WITH you. if not, CHANGE one hose at a time. It;s no big deal
rick

Baja Big Dog
05-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks
-Justin
Call "The hose man" in Santa Fe Springs, off of the 5.

Rexone
05-02-2007, 10:38 AM
The Hose Man is a good source, or Imco for the good black hoses.
If you go stainless (which I don't recommend for steering) make absolutely sure you don't use the neoprene core hose, use teflon only. Problem is it kinks easily when bent tight. Just depends on application if it will work well.