PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brake shoes?

SummitKarl
05-02-2007, 09:00 AM
so after hearing a metal to metal sound:jawdrop:
figured I better check the trailer brakes:rolleyes: .........yup the shoes are shot...I know a Ford lug pattern is the standard and the shoes sure look like early 60's Ford shoes....any one know for sure what the standard for shoes was back in the mid 80's for trailers...:confused:

Jordy
05-02-2007, 09:02 AM
For the money and effort involved, you'd be better off changing out the backing plates and putting disc brakes on it and ditching the drums. Much better stopping power, longer life, way less maintenance.

Jbb
05-02-2007, 09:03 AM
For the money and effort involved, you'd be better off changing out the backing plates and putting disc brakes on it and ditching the drums. Much better stopping power, longer life, way less maintenance.
I would call Cutting Edge Marine......ask for Dave....

Jordy
05-02-2007, 09:07 AM
Jbb, stop hatin' on Lil' Mister. :)
Here, for $300 and change (and that was the first place I checked), you can get the new rotors, calipers, bearings, seals, plumbing, etc:
http://www.championtrailers.com/KODIAC%20DISC%20BRAKE%20KITS.htm
For the weight of the boat, I'd do the back axle only and just take the guts out of the front brake assembly and run it that way. But that's just me. :D

460 jus getn it
05-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Wait, jordy did you turn over a new leaf?

Jbb
05-02-2007, 09:12 AM
Jbb, stop hatin' on Lil' Mister. :)
Here, for $300 and change (and that was the first place I checked), you can get the new rotors, calipers, bearings, seals, plumbing, etc:
http://www.championtrailers.com/KODIAC%20DISC%20BRAKE%20KITS.htm
For the weight of the boat, I'd do the back axle only and just take the guts out of the front brake assembly and run it that way. But that's just me. :D
Next he'll be waxin the Comet....:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :D
One people at a time...
Dave's not here.............................................. ......man...

Racey
05-02-2007, 09:44 AM
just take the whole backing plate assembley to your local good autoparts store, they should have no problem ordering replacements, after screwing around with just replacing shoes and then having wheel cylinder problems we've found it's just worth the little extra $ to replace the backing plate and all.

Old school Ultra
05-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Check out www.beartrailers.com or call 818-727-1585.. He should have the info

RiverDave
05-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Dave would probably charge more then 300.00 to even look at the problem.. I don't have time for nonsense nowdays.. I'm all business like n shit.
RD

Jbb
05-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Dave would probably charge more then 300.00 to even look at the problem.. I don't have time for nonsense nowdays.. I'm all business like n shit.
RD
But 3 hundy would still buy a phone diagnosis......right?........:jawdrop:
RD SUX......:D

RiverDave
05-02-2007, 10:17 AM
But 3 hundy would still buy a phone diagnosis......right?........:jawdrop:
RD SUX......:D
3 Hundy would get ya a phone diagnosis, but not a long chat session.
Time is money Brian... ;)
RD

Jbb
05-02-2007, 10:21 AM
3 Hundy would get ya a phone diagnosis, but not a long chat session.
Time is money Brian... ;)
RD
:jawdrop:

SummitKarl
05-02-2007, 10:23 AM
just take the whole backing plate assembley to your local good autoparts store, they should have no problem ordering replacements, after screwing around with just replacing shoes and then having wheel cylinder problems we've found it's just worth the little extra $ to replace the backing plate and all.
that was easy....and I got it on my first guess:D...
65 mustang front shoes $14
new pistons $4
can of brake cleaner......priceless:D

BigDoug
05-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Now you just need to find someone competent to install them !! :D

craiginlaverne
05-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Pacific Boat trailers in Chino, Ca. You can order parts online(pacifictrailers.com), or call and have new backing plates or a disc brake conversion sent to you. If you are in the southern cali area, they can install your parts for you. 909 902 0094:idea:

Boatcop
05-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Next he'll be waxin the Comet....:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :D
One people at a time...
Dave's not here.............................................. ......man...
Is that what they're calling it these days. http://www.riverratlife.com/forum/images/graemlins/tosser.gif