PDA

View Full Version : Why engine builders use Kendall Motor Oil...Where to find

INI
05-03-2007, 07:55 AM
Why do so many performance engine builders only use Kendall Motor Oil?
for days i have been looking for 20-50 with no luck.
Seems like anywhere you go you cant find it...
I have looked at Napa,Kragen,Car quest good old Pep Boys, etc
Nobody carries it.
Who in So Cal area has it or anyone in Havasu know of a retailer?

Jbb
05-03-2007, 07:57 AM
I use Wal Mart racing blend myself....

Boozer
05-03-2007, 07:58 AM
Maybe this well help.
http://lubricants.conocophillips.com/locator/locator.asp?div=LK&av=&st=CA&ctry=US

79 HUSTLER
05-03-2007, 07:59 AM
Why do so many performance engine builders only use Kendall Motor Oil?
for days i have been looking for 20-50 with no luck.
Seems like anywhere you go you cant find it...
I have looked at Napa,Kragen,Car quest good old Pep Boys, etc
Nobody carries it.
Who in So Cal area has it or anyone in Havasu know of a retailer?
Look at more of a custom shop, none of those chain stores will carry it. Teague and GT marine both carry them, and I am sure many others do as well. In havi absolute has it as well.

shippingguy
05-03-2007, 08:04 AM
You can always swing by Savage Marine in Havasu when you are up there. They stock it.

2Driver
05-03-2007, 08:05 AM
It's called $ponsorhsip. For the most part oil is oil. :rolleyes:

Reaper1
05-03-2007, 08:09 AM
There is an offroad place in Anaheim that carries it. Can't remember the name though.:confused:

Racey
05-03-2007, 08:33 AM
Why engine builders use kendall? For the most part because it's a good decent oil, but the main reason is it's cheap, and if you're building an engine and breaking it in on the dyno, changing 10-14 qts a couple times on the dyno there is no point in running expensive oil to send it down the drain in an hour.
Valvoline VR-1 Conventional is great oil, as good as kendall or better, and you can find it anywhere, we run it in every engine we service and have never had an oil problem, even in 1300hp turbo motors.

Sigus
05-03-2007, 08:57 AM
There is an offroad place in Anaheim that carries it. Can't remember the name though.:confused:
McKensies, On Orangethorpe and 57 FWY

INI
05-03-2007, 08:58 AM
mckenzies is out

OGShocker
05-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Torco is as good if not better. IMHO

AzMandella
05-03-2007, 09:46 AM
The Kendall oil you find on the shelf is not the original green oil that was so highly regarded.Here is a link to the company that still makes the original Kendall racing oil.I will not use any other.http://www.bradpennracing.com/

shockwaveharry
05-03-2007, 10:25 AM
Mobil 1 is the only oil to use IMO, just because it's specified in the most technologically advanced vehicles in the world... Factory specified on n/a, turbo and supercharged AMG motors with a $70,000+ replacement cost including the SLR. Also the Factory required oil for the Vette/ZO6, Viper and Porsche, among many, many others.
The oil I use in all my vehicles is the same oil used by the McLaren F1 team. That kinda makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! :)
...And you can get it anywhere!
I won't break in an engine with synthetic even though the Mfg's above do, only because I'm not an engineer and haven't spent millions in R&D on my motors assembly technique. If the rings don't seal, I'm fuked. So Valvoline straight 30 on the dyno during break in, change the oil to Valvoline Racing 20w 50 for the power pulls, then Mobile 1 when the motor goes in the car or boat.
But I'm just one guy...

MKEELINE
05-03-2007, 10:28 AM
There was a thread in either the Vdrive or Blower motor section on oils. Alot of the oils have been changed, including the Valvoline VR-1 racing. They have removed most or all of the zinc and phosphores from them. Valvoline now has a conventional racing oil with zinc in it. Alot of guys are running Rotella T diesel oil in performance applications because it contains alot of zinc. Or you could just run synthetic.:D