PDA

View Full Version : unpermitted structure

whiteworks
05-03-2007, 12:27 PM
so my neighbor decided to add on a room to his house this weekend. I was checking out his construction practices and I am in total disbelief. he has a raised foundation house and just plopped some block down on top of the existing patio as a foundation. he did use some mortor and is currently drilling in to the block and driving redheads to attach the bottom plate to. I am contemplating dropping the dime on him but I really want to see where he is going with this. they are a nice family and i like them. I really dont care what he does to his own house and I know he would never question any thing I do to my house. what would you guys do? do you think that this will effect property values in a negative manner? BTW you cannont see his structure from the street and they usallly look ok when he finishes.

DMOORE
05-03-2007, 12:29 PM
so my neighbor decided to add on a room to his house this weekend. I was checking out his construction practices and I am in total disbelief. he has a raised foundation house and just plopped some block down on top of the existing patio as a foundation. he did use some mortor and is currently drilling in to the block and driving redheads to attach the bottom plate to. I am contemplating dropping the dime on him but I really want to see where he is going with this. they are a nice family and i like them. I really dont care what he does to his own house and I know he would never question any thing I do to my house. what would you guys do? do you think that this will effect property values in a negative manner? BTW you cannont see his structure from the street and they usallly look ok when he finishes.
Dude, why would you ever drop a dime on a neighbor is it isn't effecting you? That's a great way to start a war.
Darrell.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-03-2007, 12:30 PM
Sounds like it doesn't concern you. Why would you consider turning him in if it's not effecting you? Anyone ever read "1984"? Big brother is your neighbor, folks. We are turning each other in to the government for no reason other than they tell us it's the right thing to do.

YeLLowBoaT
05-03-2007, 12:30 PM
I'd leave it alone. As long as its not a danger to you or a real eye sore, let him fook up his house.

djunkie
05-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Dude, why would you ever drop a dime on a neighbor is it isn't effecting you? That's a great way to stert a war.
Darrell.
Exactly. If your on good terms with them and it isn't affecting you or your house in any way than I'd just look the other way.

Rexone
05-03-2007, 12:35 PM
The only property value it's likely to affect is his when he goes to sell his house with the unpermitted room. That is if the aireal photos don't bring the city down on him first. I'd leave it alone.

whiteworks
05-03-2007, 12:40 PM
there are a few more things, the neighborhood is historical and there is a criteria for building. anytime the other neighbors do anything its by the book and they comply with the historical aspects of there homes. This family is from mexico and kind do shit like you would in mexico. I am a lisenced contractor and play by the rules and do nice stuff to my house.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
05-03-2007, 12:40 PM
Mind your business! ;)
Seriously, if it doesn't affect you, why care? I cannot see a neighbors hoopty foundation affecting your property value.

YeLLowBoaT
05-03-2007, 12:44 PM
there are a few more things, the neighborhood is historical and there is a criteria for building. anytime the other neighbors do anything its by the book and they comply with the historical aspects of there homes. This family is from mexico and kind do shit like you would in mexico. I am a lisenced contractor and play by the rules and do nice stuff to my house.
if you really have that big of a prob with it... make the call. I'm sure you already know the build inspectors number.

R.A.D.man
05-03-2007, 12:45 PM
Let him be. You know what he has done, now you have a card to play if you ever need it for who knows what. I have a neighbor whom I can compile a laundry list about relative to city code violations and I have done the research already. But unless things get shitty first, I'm keeping quiet. We are polite to one another, but he is a slob and bugs the crap out of me with some of his trashy habits in an otherwise very nice neighborhood. He talks of moving, and if he does, good bye and no harm done.

uvindex
05-03-2007, 12:47 PM
If the unpermitted structure devalues the house, when it sells you've just gotten a comp that can lower the value of YOUR house.
If the unpermitted structure has crummy, not-to-code electrical and/or gas work, it could cause a fire or explosion (and maybe even cause YOUR house to burn down, depending on how close it is to your house).
If the unpermitted structure adds a bunch of extra living space to the house, you might end up with more residents next-door than is "customary" for the neighborhood.
Not necessarily saying you should drop a dime, but when folks say that it isn't affecting you that's not necessarily true in all cases.
Good luck. :)

Big Warlock
05-03-2007, 12:49 PM
I would leave it alone. Uness it affects you, then talk to him and see if maybe you can help him out and make it good for everyone.

Ziggy
05-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Go help him so it gets done right..............

RiverDave
05-03-2007, 01:00 PM
Sounds like it doesn't concern you. Why would you consider turning him in if it's not effecting you? Anyone ever read "1984"? Big brother is your neighbor, folks. We are turning each other in to the government for no reason other than they tell us it's the right thing to do.
Almost sounds like we're living in Germany in the early to mid 40's doesn't it?
It's amazing how many Americans are truly Nazi's at heart..
RD

YeLLowBoaT
05-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Go help him so it gets done right..............
That is the last thing I would do. Way to much risk there. All it would take to fook you is him to get cuaght or soemthing bad to happen and he drop your name saying you helped.

mickeyfinn
05-03-2007, 01:27 PM
This is a major problem with immigrants. If they are here they should follow our rules. Let him spend his money, get 90% complete and then drop the dime on him. We have this kind of chit happening everywhere. Either melt into the melting pot (including a legal job, ss#, paying taxes and obeying our laws) or go the hell back.

HYPNAUTIC
05-03-2007, 01:31 PM
Tough call. I personally would call. As mentioned before you may have more people living there than before that results in trash, noise etc... that may affect you down the road. Does not sound as if there building to code. Are they violating the easements of the property? Theres other problems such as electrical/fire, water/drainage or flooding. Is the structure (roof, ext color, windows) even going to match the rest of the house when there finished. At least if they had a permit you know all of those things would be taken care of.
I did have to drop a coin on my old neighbors. However they built a patio cover out of 2X2's old plywood and used mismatched colors of plastic corrigated roofing. It did not even have any anchors in the floor. They used it to store items from used motor oil, garden tools to can foods. They also built it within 1' from our common wall. Worst of all is when it rained the water falling from their second story onto the that roof.
I called even though it didnt effect me directly. I didnt want to stare at their sh!t, and Im sure if I wanted to sell the new homeowners would feel the same way.

Racey
05-03-2007, 01:51 PM
If they are nice and you don't have any issues with them leave them alone, if it aint affecting you dont make it your business and don't worry about it. I'd be pissed if some a$$hole turned me into to building inspection, in fact i've had it done to us when we built an office loft inside our shop, cost us big time... and didnt change a thing about the way we built our structure.
It's his land, his house, and his problem if it f's up. leave em be.

Water Romper
05-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Question...
If you rat out your neighbor will the city tell who complained? Is there an 800 number or something? Like We Tip…:idea:
Just curious…

77charger
05-03-2007, 02:46 PM
I am contemplating dropping the dime on him but I really want to see where he is going with this. they are a nice family and i like them.
I really dont care what he does to his own house and I know he would never question any thing I do to my house.
You say you dont care what he does to his house but you also think of snitching him off.:confused: :confused: Go figure!!

Classic Daycruiser
05-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Lets say a wind storm kicks up and the roof blows off their patio, and into your yard. Your kids are out playing in the wind, and all of a sudden you hear a scream.
Do you see a problem??? Call the city....not to complain, but to inquire. Let the city figure out if there is a problem.

Havasu Sun
05-03-2007, 03:18 PM
Hello no I wouldn't tell on him. Actually you should pick up a hammer and head on over to help.
Signed
YOUR NEIGHBOR!:D :D :D :D :D

whiteworks
05-03-2007, 03:21 PM
interesting little debate here.

adjones419
05-03-2007, 03:25 PM
Offer some help or advice that way it gets done right and you'll both be happy.

Riverbass
05-03-2007, 03:26 PM
I have a mills act historical home in anaheim. and we have a criteria for building to comply with the historical aspects our homes. If his house is not a mills act, just let it go.
(Just remember what go's around comes around)
www.colonywoodscreening@hotmail.com

upsman105
05-03-2007, 03:37 PM
If the unpermitted structure devalues the house, when it sells you've just gotten a comp that can lower the value of YOUR house.
If the unpermitted structure has crummy, not-to-code electrical and/or gas work, it could cause a fire or explosion (and maybe even cause YOUR house to burn down, depending on how close it is to your house).
If the unpermitted structure adds a bunch of extra living space to the house, you might end up with more residents next-door than is "customary" for the neighborhood.
Not necessarily saying you should drop a dime, but when folks say that it isn't affecting you that's not necessarily true in all cases.
Good luck. :)
I agree with this...
There is a reason for permits, why is he above following the rules...
You would get a permit wouldn't you??? Wouldn't we all???
So why not him??

HYPNAUTIC
05-03-2007, 03:44 PM
you do not need to give your info to the city. just give them the property address and they will check to see if a permit was pulled in their computers. If no permit they get a knock on the door. Hell I'd do it for you!
Now im the a$$, but I got a permit to be!:D

Ziggy
05-03-2007, 03:47 PM
That is the last thing I would do. Way to much risk there. All it would take to fook you is him to get cuaght or soemthing bad to happen and he drop your name saying you helped.
I only said that because he seemed concerned of the poor quality and not neccessarily the fact that he's doing it.
Me, I'd let it go unless there was a direct impact on me. Hell, I didn't say a word about my neighbor putting a hole in his exterior wall and placing a TuffShed there for a new walk-in closet.

djunkie
05-03-2007, 03:50 PM
I only said that because he seemed concerned of the poor quality and not neccessarily the fact that he's doing it.
Me, I'd let it go unless there was a direct impact on me. Hell, I didn't say a word about my neighbor putting a whole in his exterior wall and placing a TuffShed there for a new walk-in closet.
You sure you don't live in Corona? :jawdrop: :jawdrop: LOL!!! I otta get some shit for that comment. :D :D

BoneDaddy
05-03-2007, 03:52 PM
If it was done in a "Craftsmanship Type Manner" I would probably let it slide. But, as you have seen he is cutting corners on the foundation already, what else is he going to cut corners on?

Ziggy
05-03-2007, 03:52 PM
You sure you don't live in Corona? :jawdrop: :jawdrop: LOL!!! I otta get some shit for that comment. :D :D
Nope never been a 909 or 951'er.............but I have clients there. :D:D:D
I'd expect Norco to have a few unpermitted buildings............and trailers...LOL

BoneDaddy
05-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Hell, I didn't say a word about my neighbor putting a hole in his exterior wall and placing a TuffShed there for a new walk-in closet.
WTF!!!
I see this kind of stuff all the time when I am showing houses with clients. People (in general) do the craziest things in their homes!:confused:

dragboat
05-03-2007, 04:02 PM
I would not have a problem with a neighbor doing a project as long as he was doing it to code. So he doesn't want to pay higher taxes on an increased assessment, I can understand that. But it has to be done corectly....saftely. I would not want to be over there trying to pull the neighbor kids out of a collapsed addition after a storm knowing what you know. And hey what about when they sell it and the new people that are now friends of yours ask how long you knew about it? Go help them do it right before they get to far and dont want to back up.
Building codes are in place for a reason,
If he's not following them,
He's putting you in a spot.

gnRacer98
05-03-2007, 04:08 PM
I think alot of you may be missing the bigger picture here. I have a similar situation with "immigrant" nieghbors that constantly "improve" their home. The construction hasn't been the issue, but WHO is moving in when it's done? Thought I'd be the good guy neighbor and mind my own business, well now I have 4 families with 8 cars living next door! Guess were they park the cars that don't fit in front of their house? I say if they want the freedom to live here they abide by the same rules as the rest of us, drop the hammer, cause I can tell you it won't stop till you do and sooner or later it will affect you.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-03-2007, 04:09 PM
I agree with this...
So why not him??
Maybe not. My whole house has no permits :D Somehow, it's still standing after 100+ years. :jawdrop:
Funny story. Jeff went down for some reason to ask the county something when we were upgrading our electrical system. The lady at the county said we have to have the FAU and A/C inspected. He said, "Go right ahead, there's nothing to inspect." She looked at him puzzled and he said, "There's no forced heating." She said their has to be by Riverside County Law." He replied, "Really? When my house was built there was no Riverside County." She couldn't believe it.
The thing is, to add on to our house, the county requires a fire hydrant within 500 feet of any new building. That means we would have to shell out $60,000 to bring a main waterline and hydrant down our 1000 foot driveway and we haven't even paid any school fees and permits, much less the addition cost yet. So, yes, I could understand very easily why someone would build an addition without permits. That's why we are most likely selling our place.

plaster dave
05-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Leave it alone like others have said. It is just not P.C. to F*** with your neighbor. But it looks like you have made your mind up.:D

upsman105
05-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Maybe not. My whole house has no permits :D Somehow, it's still standing after 100+ years. :jawdrop:
Funny story. Jeff went down for some reason to ask the county something when we were upgrading our electrical system. The lady at the county said we have to have the FAU and A/C inspected. He said, "Go right ahead, there's nothing to inspect." She looked at him puzzled and he said, "There's no forced heating." She said their has to be by Riverside County Law." He replied, "Really? When my house was built there was no Riverside County." She couldn't believe it.
The thing is, to add on to our house, the county requires a fire hydrant within 500 feet of any new building. That means we would have to shell out $60,000 to bring a main waterline and hydrant down our 1000 foot driveway and we haven't even paid any school fees and permits, much less the addition cost yet. So, yes, I could understand very easily why someone would build an addition without permits. That's why we are most likely selling our place.
So you're saying if it is difficult or expensive you shouldn't have to follow the rules???

plaster dave
05-03-2007, 04:16 PM
I think alot of you may be missing the bigger picture here. I have a similar situation with "immigrant" nieghbors that constantly "improve" their home. The construction hasn't been the issue, but WHO is moving in when it's done? Thought I'd be the good guy neighbor and mind my own business, well now I have 4 families with 8 cars living next door! Guess were they park the cars that don't fit in front of their house? I say if they want the freedom to live here they abide by the same rules as the rest of us, drop the hammer, cause I can tell you it won't stop till you do and sooner or later it will affect you.
That is a completely different story. Call the city if you live in a single family home. It doesn't matter who buys next to you if you don’t live in a gated/home owners association then let them do what they want.

AZKC
05-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Hell, I didn't say a word about my neighbor putting a hole in his exterior wall and placing a TuffShed there for a new walk-in closet.
When did you move next door to me:)
Living here in North Nogie with an abundant amount of immigrant engineers, you would not believe what they do:sqeyes: And don't worry they won't be moving, but their numbers will increase:eek:

hava life
05-03-2007, 04:21 PM
You answered your own question when you said you are a Licensed contractor and play by the rules. You have seen the type of job he is doing and it is not close to compliance, this is only the sub-floor. Can't wait to hear about the electrical. I'm not saying turn him in but if he is not going to do the job right then you may be involved if it falls down or catches on fire. He is your neighbor.

EmpirE231
05-03-2007, 04:27 PM
ask what he's doing the addition for?? don't rat the guy out and get him fined up the ass..... most permits are a joke! shit you need a permit to have a garage sale.... F that... just more ways for the city to get your money.,... on top of all the BS taxes we already pay.

HYPNAUTIC
05-03-2007, 04:27 PM
When/If it falls, they will probably try to sue you for not stoping them and making them do it correctly.
Could you be just as guilty for letting them do it??? Remember this is America, a case like that just might have merrit.

YeLLowBoaT
05-03-2007, 04:46 PM
I agree with this...
So why not him??
Beleave me there are lots of things that require permits and inspections that I would not even think about pulling them for.
I'll give you a some examples.
1 water heater, in my county the permit to replace or install a water heater is $293 and its atleast 2 weeks til they can inspect it... that means atleast 2 weeks with out hot water. Try telling your client that the permit is almost as much as the applance and it will take 2 weeks before they have hot water.
2. Your door nob crushes a hole in your drywall on a load barring wall. you need to cut out a small section of drywall and replace it with a scrap peice( which is alot better then patching it) the drywall that you replaced touchs no studs, but you now have to have a skrew inspection... there is another $95.
3. A single elbow in your cast iron drain line has started to leak, just the elbow, every thing is fine. So all you need to do is make 1 cut and heat the fitting( or just cut it out) and replace the eblow with no hubs and abc... the permit, plan approval( yes you need a plan for this :rolleyes: ) and inspection for just opening up the drain line comes to just under $2800( Lets just say I might have done this with in the last month) Oh yeah the cast iorn pipe was painted with black oxide paint, so not only is it toxic, your not alowed to heat it until all of the paint comes off of all the drain lines.( in cluding those in the walls)
4. you need to replace a worn out/ defective breaker in circuit panel. there is another $193
5, you pull off some roted siding from your house and notice that a small part of the sill is roted. you now need a full pest inspection, structrual inspection/ engineer to sign off, plan approvel, permits, and inspections. I'm not sure exactly how much that is going to cost, but my guess is 3-5k.
With all these cases you could have just fixed it and said fook the building inspector.

YeLLowBoaT
05-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Oh yeah... don't get me started on HOA and "histroic home" crap... its enough to make me want to tear up my contracting lic and do every thing under the table for cash.

AZKC
05-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Holy Crap!!:jawdrop:

Biglue
05-03-2007, 04:59 PM
I do see a lot of potential for it affecting you as a neighbor. 1, If he's not following the codes, let's say he has an alectrical fire due to shotty wiring. The fire can blow over onto your property. Let's face it, 2, Mexicans can really pack up a house with residents like nobody's business. How will that affect the parking situation around your house? I have a similar issue with a Filipino family next door to us who packed their house like I mentioned above. The parking sucks and they trickle out into where we like to park our cars. It does piss you off.
That does not necessarily mean call Codes Enforcement on him but, I at the very least would advice him against not doing it to code.
Just my .02.

Cas
05-03-2007, 05:11 PM
Since you're a licensed contractor, you know NOT to go over and help him build an unpermitted project. What you could do is let him know you're licensed contractor and would be happy to give him a bid on doing it right with a permit. You could give him a helluva deal if he gets all the materials on the job and digs the footings. Being it's right next door do it for a couple grand.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-03-2007, 05:27 PM
Beleave me there are lots of things that require permits and inspections that I would not even think about pulling them for.
1 water heater, in my county the permit to replace or install a water heater is $293 and its atleast 2 weeks til they can inspect it... that means atleast 2 weeks with out hot water. Try telling your client that the permit is almost as much as the applance and it will take 2 weeks before they have hot water.
2. Your door nob crushes a hole in your drywall on a load barring wall. you need to cut out a small section of drywall and replace it with a scrap peice( which is alot better then patching it) the drywall that you replaced touchs no studs, but you now have to have a skrew inspection... there is another $95.
3. A single elbow in your cast iron drain line has started to leak, just the elbow, every thing is fine. So all you need to do is make 1 cut and heat the fitting( or just cut it out) and replace the eblow with no hubs and abc... the permit, plan approval( yes you need a plan for this :rolleyes: ) and inspection for just opening up the drain line comes to just under $2800( Lets just say I might have done this with in the last month) Oh yeah the cast iorn pipe was painted with black oxide paint, so not only is it toxic, your not alowed to heat it until all of the paint comes off of all the drain lines.( in cluding those in the walls)
4. you need to replace a worn out/ defective breaker in circuit panel. there is another $193
5, you pull off some roted siding from your house and notice that a small part of the sill is roted. you now need a full pest inspection, structrual inspection/ engineer to sign off, plan approvel, permits, and inspections. I'm not sure exactly how much that is going to cost, but my guess is 3-5k.
With all these cases you could have just fixed it and said fook the building inspector.
You forgot about the sprinkler installation.

squirt'nmyload
05-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Let's face it, 2, Mexicans can really pack up a house with residents like nobody's business. How will that affect the parking situation around your house? I have a similar issue with a Filipino family next door to us who packed their house like I mentioned above. The parking sucks and they trickle out into where we like to park our cars. .
most of the full houses i see just park their shit in the front yard :D :D

Classic Daycruiser
05-03-2007, 05:37 PM
1) hotwater is gas/CO2. How many houses have had people die, after a water heater replacment turned fatal. (This is usually a form that is filled out on line by a license plumber).
2) Did a nail or screw puncture a electrical wire while you patched a hole(Shock/Fire)
3) you replace a pipe fitting. Did you use the proper fitting, sealant, is it lead base. Did you poison your family while you attempted to sweat a pipe?
4) A breaker keeps tripping. Did you replace breaker with same size. Are the wires the correct size to handle the load on the breaker? Fire, fire, fire
5) Your too cheap to get a termite inspection, so your house is rotten, and all you want to do is fix what you can see.
I will call the city if your going to be that stupid. "Stupid is what stupid does".
You may not want to move next to me if your going to be stupid.
If I don't see it, I can't report it, but if what your doing could burn down my house, or blow in my backyard...be sure to have the money to fix my stuff first.
:idea: :idea: :idea:

Classic Daycruiser
05-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Remember the days when you could change your oil and dump it down the rain sewer in front of your house. :idea:

Biglue
05-03-2007, 05:41 PM
most of the full houses i see just park their shit in the front yard :D :D
Yeah....but them brownies sure can keep a yard up. :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Yeah....but them brownies sure can keep a yard up. :D
:D
I guess my view vs others just shows the difference between "cityfolk" and "countryfolk." In the country, your business is your business, but in the city, your business is everyone elses. And since people are so packed in together, sometimes your business affects others and becomes their business (at least the others think there is a slight chance it might, so they'd better do something about it, just in case ;) ).

Biglue
05-03-2007, 05:50 PM
I guess my view vs others just shows the difference between "cityfolk" and "countryfolk." In the country, your business is your business, but in the city, your business is everyone elses. And since people are so packed in together, sometimes your business affects others and becomes their business (at least the others think there is a slight chance it might, so they'd better do something about it, just in case ;) ).
Where exactly is Manifee Valley? Is it that far into sticks? :confused: But yes, I hear ya. :D
Btw did you get my pm?

71tahiti
05-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Why isnt this an Insurance issue. If the ins company's inspected the house that its going to insure, then thats when poor construction should come up.
I dont believe the city or state should have the right to make me pay them to add on to my property. However, If living in a historical neighborhood or in a heavily covinenced housing edition then you would be expected to follow the architecture ect..
Inspection should uncover poor construction and that should be up to the Insurance company to figure out the rate.
So, If you were buying a POS then you would be paying a higher rate to insure.
Not your property, Do something else with your time... Sounds like you have a bunch.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Where exactly is Manifee Valley? Is it that far into sticks? :confused: But yes, I hear ya. :D
Btw did you get my pm?
yes :)

whiteworks
05-03-2007, 11:51 PM
um I like wine, and not the the cheap shit. we have had a realy interesting evening and at this time I dont give a fock what he builds. But I will tell all You bastards this much 2 of my girls just flew in from NYC and we got fockerd:D :D :D :D

v-drive
05-04-2007, 04:34 AM
Ok, normally I would not say a word but, I don't like setting the blocks on the concrete. What if we should have an earthquake and there are people or worse yet children in that room? I see colapse written all over this.
I am not a builder but the way he's going about the foundation scares me.
v-drive

Waist Deep
05-04-2007, 04:56 AM
We had to call on our neighbor b4 for this stuff, but he also had a dealer living in his rental unit. The city came out, let him know the place was uninhabitable and the guy was gone.
It's rented back out again, but the tenant is somewhat normal. Until I see/hear a problem, I wont bother calling on that again.
Now for the Sanford & Son look alike contest going on on in his backyard(with no fence), I'm tempted to drop the bomb.

GHT
05-04-2007, 05:05 AM
Almost sounds like we're living in Germany in the early to mid 40's doesn't it?
It's amazing how many Americans are truly Nazi's at heart..
RD
Good point...
Also, you said "they usually look good when he is done"... Sounds like this has happend before and you didn't turn him in. I'm sure IF someone knew all the codes your in violation of many (as we all are).
Leave him be.. He is working hard to better his life.

Waist Deep
05-04-2007, 05:08 AM
This is all a result of mass overpopulation. Just think where we would be without abortion!

centerhill condor
05-04-2007, 05:48 AM
here's what's gonna happen...dude ads a room and 6 more people move in. Then all of a sudden you've got all kinds of loud music at 2 am and leaf blowers runnin' in the house...Then you call and you have double the people on your case. Call today and make the problem go away.
and besides they're doing a crummy job lowering the standards of your historical district. Who pays? it aint gonna be them, now is it?
I'm celebrating quatro de mayo with lone star beer and tall grass! who's with me?

KLEPTOW
05-04-2007, 06:20 AM
I don't know how long you been in construction/contractor but the frist House my family lived in, in Santa ana were built the way you discribed cinder blocks filled with concret and that was only around the outside in the middle they used concret patio supports under the barring walls and they all were set on top of compacted soil,no footings dug out.

C-2
05-04-2007, 06:59 AM
There are still houses in the City Terrace area of Los Angeles which don't have foundations - I've seen plenty of them, and most are built on inclines and have been standing for 80+ years.:jawdrop: :jawdrop:
-------------
Leave it alone and don't buy into all the hypotheticals. Calling on your neighbor - one thing is certain, they will know. That's bad karma in so many different ways. I can't believe you would consider doing so after your neighbor invites you over.:confused:

nodigg
05-04-2007, 07:58 AM
I'd like to give my opinion on jealous contractor instigated neighborhood Nazism but I'll refrain because I've pissed off enough HB's this year already and just tell an abreviated story instead.
I bought a cottage (once in a lifetime deal) on the Balboa Peninsula back when beach property was more affordable. Run down piece of history built in 1927 by the then Major of Balboa. (IMO a beautiful Disney Snow White looking place today)
Spent 3 months bringing it back to livable condition and found some pretty amazing things in the process. Original Knob and post wiring in the attic still functioning and scary as heck to think about but to date STILL in use. The house was built and still stands on concrete patio cover style piers on loose sand and is NOT strapped down in any way and has been that way for 80 years this year :sqeyes: More stuff like that in the house but suffice to say, WTF nevermind, Nuff said.:)

sponger_2
05-04-2007, 11:21 AM
ill tell you guys right now, im a d!ck. i would call on this neighbor when he's about done, as it would be funny as hell. i call when a party with loud music goes past 10pm. you have dogs running around neighborhood, i call animal control or i take the dog myself to the animal shelter. if you live next to me and your kids leave their toys out, i throw them away. you park in front of my house continuously, i take a drill to your tires. lastly, some punk kid neighbor was growing 1 small weed plant in a pot right outside his 2nd story window. i called the police and arrested that punk. YES, i have done all these things, and i dont feel bad one bit. if you keep it at bay from the get go, it wont ever get out of line.

djunkie
05-04-2007, 11:30 AM
ill tell you guys right now, im a d!ck. i would call on this neighbor when he's about done, as it would be funny as hell. i call when a party with loud music goes past 10pm. you have dogs running around neighborhood, i call animal control or i take the dog myself to the animal shelter. if you live next to me and your kids leave their toys out, i throw them away. you park in front of my house continuously, i take a drill to your tires. lastly, some punk kid neighbor was growing 1 small weed plant in a pot right outside his 2nd story window. i called the police and arrested that punk. YES, i have done all these things, and i dont feel bad one bit. if you keep it at bay from the get go, it wont ever get out of line.
If you were my neighbor I'd do a burnout across your front lawn!!!!!!!

CornWater
05-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Classic... yet you had to do all those things...
:idea:

BOBALOO
05-04-2007, 03:31 PM
If you were my neighbor I'd do a burnout across your front lawn!!!!!!!
Dont hit the bird bath/fountain while you're at it:D
Sorry, wrong house.
How is your drunk neighbor by the way?:D:D

SHOTKALLIN
05-04-2007, 06:30 PM
I do see a lot of potential for it affecting you as a neighbor. 1, If he's not following the codes, let's say he has an alectrical fire due to shotty wiring. The fire can blow over onto your property. Let's face it, 2, Mexicans can really pack up a house with residents like nobody's business. How will that affect the parking situation around your house? I have a similar issue with a Filipino family next door to us who packed their house like I mentioned above. The parking sucks and they trickle out into where we like to park our cars. It does piss you off.
That does not necessarily mean call Codes Enforcement on him but, I at the very least would advice him against not doing it to code.
Just my .02.
for this reason only....drop the dime. Then call ice:D

scooooter7
05-04-2007, 07:41 PM
We still got some of them damn Hippies, that stayed after the war was over.
Bring back the draft and you'll have more.

ROZ
05-04-2007, 07:55 PM
President of the HOA ?:confused: :D
You sound like one of those retarded neighbors who gets caught doing this stuff on video and is then arrested... Then the video is turned over to your local news where we all get to see and just shake our heads.
If you were my neighbor and threw my kids toys out that were left on my property, we'd be having a talk. If I got it on my security system, I'd press charges on your ass. If the vandalism, theft, and trespassing continued after that, I'll press charges on every infraction you commit.
The bad thing about your situation is that if you ever slip up, ALL your neighbors are going to shit on you :D
You obviously don't believe in Karma...
Traumatic childhood? Beaten often? An alter boy, maybe? :D

ROZ
05-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Wonder how long, before them beans get here? :devil:
They'll be calling it Chinada before that happens :D

C-2
05-04-2007, 09:34 PM
President of the HOA ?:confused: :D
You sound like one of those retarded neighbors who gets caught doing this stuff on video and is then arrested... Then the video is turned over to your local news where we all get to see and just shake our heads.
If you were my neighbor and threw my kids toys out that were left on my property, we'd be having a talk. If I got it on my security system, I'd press charges on your ass. If the vandalism, theft, and trespassing continued after that, I'll press charges on every infraction you commit.
The bad thing about your situation is that if you ever slip up, ALL your neighbors are going to shit on you :D
You obviously don't believe in Karma...
Traumatic childhood? Beaten often? An alter boy, maybe? :D
Funny, I too was thinking pretty much the same thing.
The type of guy who sees a boat on fire on the lake, and as he passes without stopping, reminds himself "I would lend them a fire extinguisher, but then I wouldn't have one." http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1132loser.gifhttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1132rant2.gifhttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1132loser.gif
Nice

TahitiTiger
05-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Story time! My father was cheap when he was alive. So back in the 80's he had the patio on the house turned into a dinning room. Never had it permited, it was just built by some people he knew, and the city never knew the wiser. Now where it goes wrong! The roof started leaking on the addition 5 years later. Re-roof it, 5 more years it leaks again, and is now seperating from the walls. Have it fixed and reinforced. 2005 dad dies, mom inherits the house. 2006 roof is leaking worse than ever and Mom has it fixed, she thought. 2007 She has the whole house re-roofed, Roofer walks across the addition and almost falls through due to dry rott. Thousands of dollars later to repair chitty rood 4 days of 20x20 skylight and no way to block that room off from the rest of the house it is fixed. Plus this contractor being on the level contacts the city for permits. Lets just say we are damn lucky the room did not have to be removed, mom was in histerics for days.
Save the family the future pain, not to mention future home owners. When chitty work goes south it hurts!

Forkin' Crazy
05-04-2007, 10:34 PM
Leave it alone like others have said. It is just not P.C. to F*** with your neighbor.
WTF? P.C.? What does being P.C. have to do with making a call on an illegal activity? :confused:
Make the call. That is what I would do.
And there isn't anything nazi about it :rolleyes: (RD sux).

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-05-2007, 07:50 AM
And there isn't anything nazi about it :rolleyes: (RD sux).
During the 3rd Reich, people would turn in their neighbors to the government if they suspected them of hiding jews or gypsies. I can see the correlation.

Sleek-Jet
05-05-2007, 07:55 AM
It sure is nice that we live in a "tattle tale" society anymore... :rolleyes:

Sportin' Wood
05-05-2007, 08:23 AM
Man that was a lot of reading.
Some one asked if its too expensive should we not follow the rules?
Cost benifit analysis dictates that I will make the choice that costs me less in the long run. Should I pay $80,000 in BS for some dumb a$$ job justificated public trough drinking dim witt to come out and bust my balls on the repair or addition to a 100 year old houses that has no foundation and never one permit? There is nothing worse then having work "inspected" by some one who knows less then you on the subject of construction. Will I just add on to my home with out a permit? No never. Do I like getting 5 inspections for the same thing over and over because the breakers are not labeled properly or an outlet is upside down or 5 feet three inches from the next one instead of 5 feet?
Where I live we don't turn our nieghbors in for crap that does not hurt us. I would have asked the guy if he needed a hand, enjoyed his Tecate, and ate his Carne asada. A new guy moved in from the city and complained about the the horse ranch next door drawing flies. The flies where there when he bought the place. He turned them into the county because they had one to many horses. This one phone call put 3 horse ranches outta business. they had been there since I was a kid. Now they need a $10,000 conditional use permit. How many freinds do you think that guy has? He can't even fart with out getting the cops called on him. I swear if he had not payed top dollar for his mini ranch he would have sold and moved.
I gues I'm just a live and let live kinda guy and feel that you should be king of your double wide! I really wish I lived next to Sponger2 because it would be a hoot fawking with him everyday. My dog can really poop!

whiteworks
05-05-2007, 08:31 AM
Think about this for a moment, maybe he needs to have his taxes reassessed and pay a little more for the infrastructure, schools, emergency services and what ever else he is using on a daily basis. is it my responsibility to to pull permits and pay higher taxes on my shit so he can get a cheaper ride? Warren Buffet has stated that there are no self made millionaires, without the structure of society here in the USA it would not be possible for people to come up. He was referring to public education public roads/infrastructure all of which is funded through taxes/fees:idea: as far as comparing me to a nazi your outa your focken mind, nazi committed some of the most heinous acts of the last century trying to eliminate an entire race. I'm just trying to fight the good fight.

DAVEO
05-05-2007, 08:51 AM
Where do you live? Im suprized you have not been beat down. You do that shit to me and its on buddy. They would wonder what ever happend to that dick? He left last month and has not returned HMMMMMM.

talkinghead
05-05-2007, 09:47 AM
I might guess that most of the people angered by sponger_2's comments have not spent a lot of time in So. Cal.
I don't want to be negative - but Southern California can be a hateful place to live.
I think that's primarily because of the high density living situation, and I think there have been studies done on rats that confirm this.
Put to many rats in a cage and you get Southern California - primarily aggression.
Sponger_2's actions on the other hand are passively aggressive - meaning he probably does not like his neighbors for one reason or another, but is afraid to confront them directly. So he resorts to the behavior he stated - a form of aggression w/out direct confrontation.

CornWater
05-05-2007, 10:01 AM
I might guess that most of the people angered by sponger_2's comments have not spent a lot of time in So. Cal.
I don't want to be negative - but Southern California can be a hateful place to live.
I think that's primarily because of the high density living situation, and I think there have been studies done on rats that confirm this.
Put to many rats in a cage and you get Southern California - primarily aggression.
Sponger_2's actions on the other hand are passively aggressive - meaning he probably does not like his neighbors for one reason or another, but is afraid to confront them directly. So he resorts to the behavior he stated - a form of aggression w/out direct confrontation.
Oh, you mean he's a pussy... Why didn't you just say that?

talkinghead
05-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Lol, your right - that does sum it up...

ROZ
05-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Lived here 38 years...all my life... Guess I've been lucky to never run into a person such as this ...

blown65
05-05-2007, 11:50 AM
I would probably say you need to confront him and tell him he needs to do it right or your turning it into the city/county.
My neighbor has done stuff on his place quite a few times and I doubt he has ever had permits for it, but he has always done it with quality workmanship.
Sorry but I couldn't live with myself if some families kids got squished because I turned a blind eye because of being the "nice" neighbor. What happens when he gets to the electrical part of construction, finishes that and the damn place burns to the ground with everyone inside. Sometimes being a good neighbor is also looking out for their welfare. (esp when they are too stupid to do it for themselves)
I hate permits city/county but this is the type of situation that they are definitely needed.

Code4
05-05-2007, 12:00 PM
I would not have a problem with a neighbor doing a project as long as he was doing it to code. So he doesn't want to pay higher taxes on an increased assessment, I can understand that. But it has to be done corectly....saftely. I would not want to be over there trying to pull the neighbor kids out of a collapsed addition after a storm knowing what you know. And hey what about when they sell it and the new people that are now friends of yours ask how long you knew about it? Go help them do it right before they get to far and dont want to back up.
Building codes are in place for a reason,
If he's not following them,
He's putting you in a spot.
Just my .02.
Two great posts that says it all. I know I am biased on this subject, but there is a huge life/safety hazard you have pointed out. You would not have posted this if you werent concerned with the shoddy foundation. The weakest link will bring it down. Most places should accept anonymous complaints. Being a licensed contractor you know what you should do. Mentioning it on here was just an invitation to get beat up over it. :D :D :D

Classic Daycruiser
05-05-2007, 05:31 PM
During the 3rd Reich, people would turn in their neighbors to the government if they suspected them of hiding jews or gypsies. I can see the correlation.
You can?????:idea: :idea: :idea:

sponger_2
05-06-2007, 09:57 AM
imagine living next door to a house that a family "rented" and has 9 kids!!!. the husband works and the fatass wife stays home and they collect state funds. they toys i threw away were not on their main lawn but the strip that is shared between houses. imagine a neighbor that when you look into his open garge its damn near empty, and those cars would fit in there and yet would like to park in front of your house. i know its a public street, so i guess they ran over some nails or screws that are out there. the funniest thing is even a couple other neighbors know what i have done, and they arre cool with it. they UNDERSTAND
i even went out and snatched up a couple construction cones and put them in front of my house to further emphasize my stand. but all is well now , as the low buck renters have moved away!!!
oh yea, they knew i popped their tires as well, but being the good little christians they are they never got upset. ROFL!!!!!!!

Forkin' Crazy
05-06-2007, 10:08 AM
:confused: Sorry, I can't either. This guy will get a fine, or at the least make him stop, back up, and do it right. You are talking about turning in some one that if caught would be more than likely put to death. Apple to oranges IMO.
There is a lot of difference comparing to a horse farm. One horse over, now that is really silly to shut them down for that. That guy was a trouble maker or had no life and nothing to do to make a call like that. Totally different circumstance again IMO.
http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif

Forkin' Crazy
05-06-2007, 10:10 AM
LMAO!!! :D :D :D :D :D

ROZ
05-06-2007, 12:11 PM
ithe funniest thing is even a couple other neighbors know what i have done, and they arre cool with it. they UNDERSTAND
That's what you think.. They probably think you're a nut and walk away thinking "if he does any shit to me, I'll spray his garage door with oil" :D
i even went out and snatched up a couple construction cones and put them
We already established you're a thief for stealing your neighbor's KID'S toys, so I guess stealing cones is kind of a moot point...lol
oh yea, they knew i popped their tires as well, but being the good little christians they are they never got upset. ROFL!!!!!!!
So you have something against Christians? What, you Taliban?
If I was the landlord and heard from my tenants that you did the things you did, I'd rent the place to gang members for cheap :) Hey, what would I care as long as they paid the rent and made you feel uneasy :)

repo man
05-06-2007, 12:40 PM
rat!!!!!

AirtimeLavey
05-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Comparing this to Nazism is beyond rediculous, but since the people who have said that, I think are decent people, I'll just leave it there with that. I'm sure they were just over-exaggerating for the point, even if it was in extremely poor taste. :idea:
The reason for building codes isn't just so "big brother" or "the conspiratory government" can tax us more, it's safety. :rolleyes: Having said that, I would not be making the phone call, as I don't know this guy's plans. If I was good friends, I'd give him shiat about the poor construction and lack of permit. If the construction is so bad as to be blantantly dangerous, then I might have a talk w/him, and tell him. If he persists in blantantly dangerous actions, then I'd think hard about going ahead w/the call, but I'd do it early.
As a realtor, and with construction experience, I see all kinds of crap out there. Home Depot sure helps people think they can do stuff they shouldn't be. It plays out when they go to sell. Unless the buyers not too bright or working with a lame agent, then it'll all come back to haunt the shouldn't-do-it-yourself sellers.

ROZ
05-06-2007, 07:24 PM
Comparing this to Nazism is beyond rediculous, but since the people who have said that, I think are decent people, I'll just leave it there with that.
They weren't comparing it to being a Nazi or being Nazi sympathizers. The comparison was to those who feared the Nazi regime and did anything to stay alive including turning their friends and neighbors. The "rats" was the only comparison.

AirtimeLavey
05-07-2007, 10:04 AM
They weren't comparing it to being a Nazi or being Nazi sympathizers. The comparison was to those who feared the Nazi regime and did anything to stay alive including turning their friends and neighbors. The "rats" was the only comparison.
:D Gotcha. There were a couple references from different angles. I think one referred to the guy as following the regime if he reports it, and the other referred to people doing it out of fear of the regime. Still, don't think it's is a appropriate comparison, either way. A little overly dramatic - I guess this is ***boat, though. I don't think this guy is in fear for his life whether he reports or not. Like I said, I don't think I'd be making the phone call, but rather, going over and dealing direct. Unless, he looks like the dude in your sig., then I'd just move. :D

whiteworks
05-09-2007, 10:16 AM
My neighbors structure just got red tagged:( I decided that I would not drop the dime and was kind of hoping he would pull it off. He started framing the other day and was moving along at a good clip I thought he was gonna make it. the walls/roof are framed and sheeted and can be seen from a lot of angles. guess code enforcement was driving by and got lucky. I kind of feel bad for him but I just looked out the window and hes back working on it. I don't think he understands or cares what the red tag means. This should be interesting to watch. bet he just finishes it up and lives happily ever after. good for him.

RaceFace
05-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Not only that.....the thread went 5 pages!!!! :eek: